Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Having a sword that shoots clarinet's would be pretty cool which was my first read of that sentence. I look forward to the new patch and wipe. The game has a lot of balance issues right now. All the combat is widely uneven across the entire leveling system. You can be one shotting things and impervious to damage practically and then a planet 1 or 2 levels above you, you get completely wrecked. Level 40 armor / planets are completely broken with the best possible armor in the game has you get two shotted by any monsters of even level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Liberatore posted:

Why would a wipe announced by the devs, during a beta phase which they stated would have character wipes, not be true?

Tiy posted:

This update will probably require a character reset

I guess you can still hope.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah it's kind of funny that the thing I'm going to miss most once characters are wiped is my bitchin keytar. If I can't annoy my friend by playing La Bamba over and over while we hold down the spacebar and slowly float up to space then what's even the point?

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

So myself and a few other goons did a thing last night on my server.

It all started when someone sent me a link to this mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/build-your-own-ship-sandbox-ship.41890/

Naturally, the first thing we built was a massive steel boner to penetrate the heavens:

It was glorious! We even had the pleasure of showing it off to a Starbound first timer, so inspired he decided to make a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWGuoV1Tk8

GOTY.

Firetrick
Aug 4, 2006

The Green Calx posted:

So myself and a few other goons did a thing last night on my server.

It all started when someone sent me a link to this mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/build-your-own-ship-sandbox-ship.41890/

Naturally, the first thing we built was a massive steel boner to penetrate the heavens:

It was glorious! We even had the pleasure of showing it off to a Starbound first timer, so inspired he decided to make a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWGuoV1Tk8

GOTY.

I'm gonna miss you, Phallus of Malice. Godspeed. :patriot:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The gently caress did that guy get those grappling hooks?!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I modded the rope to use the grappling hook gun image hidden in the assets already :v:

edit: if you notice, there are two of them also

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Motherfucker posted:

I should use my horded bricks to make something amazing before the patch destroys all my progress...

:effort:

I used the green slime blocks I found to create the :frogout: frog. One trip to a USMC base to pick up the GET OUT graffiti later, and I had it set up so that when people beamed down to my home planet on my server they were greeted by the best emote. :v:

I really should try and get a screenshot of that before it's wiped. Is it confirmed that constructions on planets are going away?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I need to stop playing.

Started a hylotl to check out their flavour text, first world I find a loving lead guitar just sitting there...

Don't go... :smith:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
oh no were going to lose a whole handful of days of progression and finding poo poo :qq:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Zlodo posted:

shitpost

no please.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

My apologies, Motherfucker.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The thing I am going to lament losing the most is my round-top tent. Those seemed to heal you much quicker than the triangle tents.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I thought I'd try out a hylotl after hearing about the update wipe. I find it odd that you've been sent as a peacekeeper, yet the easiest way of dealing with dungeons is to just fight it out. That being said, I did give pacifism a try, and it is pretty funny.

They aren't leaving those rooms until they calm down!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

The thing I am going to lament losing the most is my round-top tent. Those seemed to heal you much quicker than the triangle tents.

Just print it? Those are pretty common.

In other news I was walking along at night on a planet when I spotted light ahead, thinking it was civilization I approach

Is not civilization, just bandit torch, many bullets strike and kill me quickly, such is life in zone.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Ice_Mallet posted:

I thought I'd try out a hylotl after hearing about the update wipe. I find it odd that you've been sent as a peacekeeper, yet the easiest way of dealing with dungeons is to just fight it out. That being said, I did give pacifism a try, and it is pretty funny.

that smug hands on hips pose really makes it that much funnier

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Ice_Mallet posted:

You can't just put a dungeon on a time-out, you monster.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Whoah. Just had a CTD that killed the game so hard it made my computer restart on its own. Weird.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
What was that application people suggested for making .abcs out of midis?

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

One pickaxe mistake and there is thousands of items all over the floor.. I am such a hoarder..
Is there any plans for securing ships from party members or lockable boxes?

deebo fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 9, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HelmetCheese posted:

Whoah. Just had a CTD that killed the game so hard it made my computer restart on its own. Weird.

Go to the Starbound directory and see if starbound.log was updated when it happened. It probably didn't, but if it did, throw it in a pastebin and put it here. We have a couple of devs here so it'll help them diagnose the problem and hopefully prevent further instances.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dezztroy posted:

What was that application people suggested for making .abcs out of midis?

https://code.google.com/p/lotromidiplayer/

E: Just woke up. We have any idea when the patch is hitting yet?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

cheesetriangles posted:

Also I really hope they make it possible to upgrade your matter manipulator. Even diamond mining picks aren't much better than stone ones. Mining takes way too long. This is especially bad if you need to go horizontal instead of vertical because doing so takes twice as long at least if not longer.

Someone posted a way to do it yourself a few pages back. Open up beamaxe.beamaxe in the items/tools folder, change "fireTime" to 0.05. Or 0.001 or something if you want mining speed to be really insane.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 9, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Someone also posted a mod that lets you upgrade the matter manipulator much like pickaxes, including different colors for each type, and 3x3 instead of 2x2. It doesn't actually make mining faster compared to pickaxes, only more convenient, though; But that's easily changed if you want to combine both ideas.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Finally found a gun!

It's energy cost is higher than the maximum :smithicide:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Thank you kindly.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

deebo posted:

Is there any plans for securing ships from party members or lockable boxes?

According to their development roadmap page, party features and player groups are one of the least developed features at the moment, so it's likely that something will be coming eventually.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Before the wipe, I decided to take a screenshot of the place a friend of mine and I have been using as a base.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I just picked up this game even though I'm not usually into these giant sandbox mining games. I'm having fun wandering around the planets. Wish they'd been a bit better about telling you not to use the beacon until you were ready to fight a hard boss, or had more quests in between.

Not being big on the mining immersion thing, first thing I did was search online for how to make that part faster and in one of the first threads saw you can edit the assets/items/tools/beamaxe.beamaxe file to change how good the Matter Manipulator is. I changed mine to a .05 delay with a 3x3 area and I'm finding this game much more enjoyable. I'm sure that probably ruins the fun of getting better tools but I'm enjoying exploring more than I am mining in this game and carving a tunnel through the rock is like the best part of old school Red Faction games. If only this game had physics...

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

PaybackJack posted:

If only this game had physics...

Go to a desert planet and try mining in fine sand.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Darksaber posted:

I'm really glad getting buried in sand/gravel doesn't kill you like in Minecraft.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Darksaber posted:

This is the most fun thing. Take out a few blocks underneath a huge chunk of fine sand, and watch as it all falls down and the ore gets loose for your collecting.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
And also panic because your framerate just collapsed and you think the game itself might come crashing down all over the place.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I think I'll actually miss my banjo the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBsJHLJFwg

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I wish you could write custom codex entries so you could leave notes for people.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I'm really glad getting buried in sand/gravel doesn't kill you like in Minecraft.

It can - if you stay buried, your air meter appears after a moment - but it's pretty hard to be killed just by falling sand.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Not being big on the mining immersion thing, first thing I did was search online for how to make that part faster and in one of the first threads saw you can edit the assets/items/tools/beamaxe.beamaxe file to change how good the Matter Manipulator is. I changed mine to a .05 delay with a 3x3 area and I'm finding this game much more enjoyable. I'm sure that probably ruins the fun of getting better tools but I'm enjoying exploring more than I am mining in this game and carving a tunnel through the rock is like the best part of old school Red Faction games. If only this game had physics...

Those are the perfect settings to make the beamaxe fun in a balanced sort of way. People have been turning wood and stone into pickaxes on a workbench since Minecraft Day 1, I think it's okay to tinker with your Matter Zapper from the comfort of your private spaceship without anyone calling it gamebreaking.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I put my toilet over my teleporter and put shitblocks all over the pad + background as well as decorative turds and a button to open + close the door from the safety of the turding room.

Good for when you invite people over.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Darksaber posted:

I do like how the water moves around. It looks really good too. I'll have to check out the sand, does this work with snow by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

I wish you could write custom codex entries so you could leave notes for people.

I think this'll probably end up being a thing in the future, either through the official devs or a mod.

New character chat: space farmer who makes a huge loving farm complex on the home world and scours the universe for seeds, or space scholar who collects a flying ship full of library books? Oh the decisions.

• Locked thread