Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Does this game have crossbows? I need to maintain my cyber-space-knight verisimilitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Still only two gender options. :wtc:

I got an exclusive screenshot from the new version of the game:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Reiley posted:

Those are the perfect settings to make the beamaxe fun in a balanced sort of way. People have been turning wood and stone into pickaxes on a workbench since Minecraft Day 1, I think it's okay to tinker with your Matter Zapper from the comfort of your private spaceship without anyone calling it gamebreaking.

Yeah I don't feel bad at all for speeding up the MM, standing there and holding down the mouse button for several seconds to collect a few blocks of dirt is not fun gameplay. Even with a decent pickaxe, mining through cobblestone is excruciating.

Pickaxes are necessary for ripping out background walls though, so they still have a use.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 9, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Mo_Steel posted:

I think this'll probably end up being a thing in the future, either through the official devs or a mod.

New character chat: space farmer who makes a huge loving farm complex on the home world and scours the universe for seeds, or space scholar who collects a flying ship full of library books? Oh the decisions.

I've been planning to do the space farmer thing from the beginning, and will likely start it after the wipe. But I will first look for the best possible farming planet, and the first order of business will be to ensure the survival of the species (bananas), as an Apex without bananas is not an Apex I want to be.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Megazver posted:

I got an exclusive screenshot from the new version of the game:

Still only options for humans? :wtc:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

I do like how the water moves around. It looks really good too. I'll have to check out the sand, does this work with snow by any chance?

If you find a water pool somewhere nearish the surface try hitting right-click to knock out the back wall tiles inside and see what happens.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Definitely hoping Matter Manipulator upgrades become a thing each tier. I'm fine with having to wait 2-3 tiers of content before the Manipulator becomes actually better than the manual tools, but it would be nice if it got steadily better and better, to indicate that the manual tools really are a 'low tech, temporary' thing.

Of all the complaints I see about homogenous worlds, the ideas I really like are greater variance in terrain generation, creature size, weather, day/night cycles, gravity, and creatures in general. I know I've come across a planet of mostly pikachu-tail creatures. It would be neat coming across a world of all-passive animals, an always-stormy-night world with giants, or an ocean world with peaks just poking through the surface. Give me a planet where jumping will put me into orbit and kill me. I realize some of these might not be the most feasible to code or prioritize.

It may also be nice to give players a heads-up when an item is going to summon a boss, I know my friends constructed the T2 robot thinking it would actually be a useable drone.

Oh and oh man new spaceships to lessen the clutter of all these crafting tools mixed in with my 1984 Ape posters.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 9, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Mo_Steel posted:

I think this'll probably end up being a thing in the future, either through the official devs or a mod.

New character chat: space farmer who makes a huge loving farm complex on the home world and scours the universe for seeds, or space scholar who collects a flying ship full of library books? Oh the decisions.

I'm totally going to get enough instruments that I can follow people like an irritating one man band playing nothing but careless whisper in increasingly obnoxious ways.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

I'm totally going to get enough instruments that I can follow people like an irritating one man band playing nothing but careless whisper in increasingly obnoxious ways.

So basically like this guy but in space? I approve.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Atoramos posted:

Definitely hoping Matter Manipulator upgrades become a thing each tier. I'm fine with having to wait 2-3 tiers of content before the Manipulator becomes actually better than the manual tools, but it would be nice if it got steadily better and better, to indicate that the manual tools really are a 'low tech, temporary' thing.

Of all the complaints I see about homogenous worlds, the ideas I really like are greater variance in terrain generation, creature size, weather, day/night cycles, gravity, and creatures in general. I know I've come across a planet of mostly pikachu-tail creatures. It would be neat coming across a world of all-passive animals, an always-stormy-night world with giants, or an ocean world with peaks just poking through the surface. Give me a planet where jumping will put me into orbit and kill me. I realize some of these might not be the most feasible to code or prioritize.

It may also be nice to give players a heads-up when an item is going to summon a boss, I know my friends constructed the T2 robot thinking it would actually be a useable drone.

I think this might be best if we had some progression of {T0:Broken Matter Manipulator} -> {T6-ish:Matter Manipulator}. Perhaps crafting electronics, then combine with matter manipulator to get to the next tier? Copper windings/ magnets for tier one for example. Gold conductors, so on and so forth.

Also, I'm of the opinion that the matter manipilator should just be a permanent item in some sort of permaslot that you can upgrade.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zoe posted:

Someone posted a way to do it yourself a few pages back. Open up beamaxe.beamaxe in the items/tools folder, change "fireTime" to 0.05. Or 0.001 or something if you want mining speed to be really insane.

After the wipe there is no way in hell I am grinding through "Stoneage mining adventure!" again. Turbo mining laser here I come. I have always hated slow rear end burrowing; waiting a day and a half to cut through a wall just so I can explore another 3 room cave system that I will need to again cut out of on my quest to reach the planet's core sucks the fun right out it.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

After the wipe there is no way in hell I am grinding through "Stoneage mining adventure!" again. Turbo mining laser here I come. I have always hated slow rear end burrowing; waiting a day and a half to cut through a wall just so I can explore another 3 room cave system that I will need to again cut out of on my quest to reach the planet's core sucks the fun right out it.

You can also increase the radius (both the smaller one when you hold Shift and the larger/regular one) in that same file. I think the variable is just something like 'radius'.

Since, you know, beta wipes and all. You can always just use the MM when you want to blast through the content you've done and then switch to tools to play the game normally afterwards. I don't see the harm. v:shobon:v

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Happened upon a human penal colony among a sea of flowers.

Starbound :allears:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I hope we get to see some normal human towns soon, all we have so far is the prisons and they're just horribly depressing. :(

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Umberger posted:

You can also increase the radius (both the smaller one when you hold Shift and the larger/regular one) in that same file. I think the variable is just something like 'radius'.

Since, you know, beta wipes and all. You can always just use the MM when you want to blast through the content you've done and then switch to tools to play the game normally afterwards. I don't see the harm. v:shobon:v

I was just wondering about the radius thing, but I may leave that one alone so as to give some reason to use picks. The whole pick progression thing was just as annoying in Terraria. I don't mind the game saying "OK your pick needs to be this big to mine this material" but making the lower tiers so goddamn slow just accentuates the tedium. I don't care what is in the rock, I want to know what is behind it.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

I was just wondering about the radius thing, but I may leave that one alone so as to give some reason to use picks. The whole pick progression thing was just as annoying in Terraria. I don't mind the game saying "OK your pick needs to be this big to mine this material" but making the lower tiers so goddamn slow just accentuates the tedium. I don't care what is in the rock, I want to know what is behind it.

I think it'd be cool if the MM got upgraded to be Current Tier-1. So if the progression is T1: Stone>Copper T2: Silver>Whatever, then when you get a Silver pick you should be able to make your MM able to "mine" at speeds equivalent to the Copper Pick. Then when you get the first T3 pick you should be able to make it as fast as whichever the one after Silver. etc etc.

There should be some reason to use it after getting your very first tool, but I think that's a pretty common complaint and if it isn't handled officially there are already plenty of mods which add the functionality as is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is it possible to make a pick dig a 3x4 area, or is it only a single-size radius?

I really don't know what they were thinking making the diggable area one tile smaller than the height of your head. :saddowns:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wish they'd make placing a single tile the default option and 2x2 the SHIFT option.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I just bought this last night, after buying Maia (it sucks right now, I see where they want to go though, I want it to be awesome.) and prison architect (dear lord it is frustrating).

It says it needs wood to build a crafting table, so I beam down, there are giant mushrooms on the planet, no wood. What is the solution to this particular problem?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So I just bought this last night, after buying Maia (it sucks right now, I see where they want to go though, I want it to be awesome.) and prison architect (dear lord it is frustrating).

It says it needs wood to build a crafting table, so I beam down, there are giant mushrooms on the planet, no wood. What is the solution to this particular problem?

You can either walk in a direction until you find trees or use your matter manipulator to dig up enough coal to fly somewhere else.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mo_Steel posted:

Scholarly space farmer who's working on the first Space Farmer's Almanac but is very fastidious about doing the research, and maintains a huge loving farm complex with a giant well-appointed library and a lovely, cozy reading room, perfect for settling down by the fire to enjoy some freshly handpicked fruits and veggies while perusing ancient Hylotl tomes detailing historic kelp farming techniques.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What timezone is the dev team in? I want this patch to update!!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Megazver posted:

I wish they'd make placing a single tile the default option and 2x2 the SHIFT option.

I'd love the shift modifier to be an on/off toggle rather than keep-pressed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I kind of like the shift toggle as-is, because Shift is also the button to slow to a walk, which makes it easier to do precision building and digging.

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008

Reiley posted:

If you find a water pool somewhere nearish the surface try hitting right-click to knock out the back wall tiles inside and see what happens.

I really like this mechanic (knocking out the background make the water "drain out the back"), because that'll make it easy to build my ocean fortress. Just enclose the area you want to drain, knock out the background and repeat for the next room.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Svecke posted:

I really like this mechanic (knocking out the background make the water "drain out the back"), because that'll make it easy to build my ocean fortress. Just enclose the area you want to drain, knock out the background and repeat for the next room.

I think it's stops working below a certain depth; I've tried draining underground pools that way and it's never worked for me.

toasterwarrior posted:

Does this game have crossbows? I need to maintain my cyber-space-knight verisimilitude

Are longbows good enough?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Is there an age-restriction on this game? Because after wading through poo poo while crunching on mushrooms and sauntering through a cronenbergian dome of flesh while shooting at giant neighing penis monsters to the sound of a sad piano I feel a little.. touched and I'm way past 18. Also do we know when side-quests will be implemented?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Svecke posted:

The downside of it is if you go deep enough that there's bedrock background behind the backdrop tiles the water won't drain, I learned this after spelunking not ten feet down from the first time I discovered it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I can't wait till we get liquid manipulation: Also, flying to a gas giant is a bad idea :V

Attempting to fly to a gas giant causes infinite travel you can't escape from.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I think I'll actually miss my banjo the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBsJHLJFwg

Banjo & that song is awesome. I am seriously shocked at how much fun I've had listening to the many different tunes played in this game. Need to start mass collecting my ABCs.

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008

Reiley posted:

The downside of it is if you go deep enough that there's bedrock background behind the backdrop tiles the water won't drain, I learned this after spelunking not ten feet down from the first time I discovered it.

Well... it'll be a really shallow ocean base.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do we know how exactly the game decides where enemies are allowed to spawn? I sort of assumed it was a back-wall based thing like in Terraria, but I realized I don't have any actual evidence for that, outside of not yet having seen any enemies spawn in my (very tiny) test house.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

This is going back a few posts and is obviously only anecdotal evidence but I do think that if you share coordinates, planets are always the same and even the chest positions might be the same but the contents of the chests definitely aren't. I've gone to two places from the google doc that supposedly had Gravity Bubble tech and while I found the tech chests, they both had Energy Dashes inside. Tech chests, from what I could gather in the thread at least, definitely always had the same tech in them as most people reported. Not for me though, I guess? :shrug:

I also remember people posting about finding instruments in chests and other people getting something completely different once they went to that same chest in their game. As I said, mainly anecdotal and I have no idea how loot distribution really works but from what I can gather it seems to be:

- sharing ore/air pirates/cities/settlements/whatever positions is A-OK
- sharing the contents of chests (possibly even tech chests) might lead to wildly varying results for different players

Welp, that's my two cents.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Any tips for a beginning player? I'm still wrapping my head around all the content that's available. I honestly didn't get a handle on not dying until I got the upgraded bow and managed to not die while hunting for food.

Hell, if someone's running a server I'd love to link up and learn the ropes a bit more.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
With the pixel bank blocks and other things coming in the patch I can't get this song out of my head:

Ist das nicht ein platinum ore?
Ja das ist ein platinum ore!
Ist das nicht ein juvenile horror?
Ja das ist ein juvenile horror!
Oh, du schoene
Oh, du schoene
Oh, du schoene
Pixelbank!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Svecke posted:

Well... it'll be a really shallow ocean base.

You can always fill in a big square of blocks with dirt and then Matter Manipulate out the middle, that gets rid of the water! You can use this method to travel through lava too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lucid Delusion posted:

Any tips for a beginning player? I'm still wrapping my head around all the content that's available. I honestly didn't get a handle on not dying until I got the upgraded bow and managed to not die while hunting for food.

Hell, if someone's running a server I'd love to link up and learn the ropes a bit more.
Well, I don't know if you're as dumb as I am, but if you are, the reason you can't plant anything is because you have to make a hoe and till the soil first.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lucid Delusion posted:

First piece of advice, is don't get too invested before the incoming patch since you are going to be restarting after the character wipe.

Second, assuming you don't want to just look up locations where all the easy to snatch loot is, I would recommend upgrading your bow before your weapon. The bow does good damage, and yields meat which will pile up in no time. Farming is slow and requires a lot of set up. The first bow upgrade will one shot almost anything on your first low threat level worlds. Also don't be a dumbass like me and spend the first hour using the matter manipulator for mining. The game still has picks that you can make and even the shittiest one is much faster than the MM.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'd really love it if the Ship's Hold was character specific so I had some place to hide my precious instruments on multiplayer servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

I need to stop playing.

Started a hylotl to check out their flavour text, first world I find a loving lead guitar just sitting there...

Don't go... :smith:
Universe is shared between characters, just fly to the planet your hylotl character is on.

• Locked thread