Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
get the poor dog some prozac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Crow Jane posted:

Literally the only thing I wanted for my sixth birthday was to adopt a manatee, my favorite animal at the time. My parents signed me up for that, and put the adoption certificate in a box with a plush manatee. I spent months showing the certificate to everyone who came into our house. My guy's name was Robin :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-33i2b17nc

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Maybe you could also buy some gourmet treats or a nice collar or toy for her dog to go along with it

Yeah this is a touchy area because she's quite obese and trying to lose weight. (not the dog, my sister)

I found these deer antlers that were naturally shedded and left in the wild and collected from the forest floor, I guess dogs love chewing on em and its full of mineral nutrients they need. Not sure if that would trigger or not.

So.. maybe a nice dog toy an an african dog sponsorship ladies?

I'm thankful for your help.

[edit] how do i pass the crazy test for a dog treat? she loves tennis balls, maybe some of the "un-breakable" balls which she has broken or similar? Seriously don't know, this dog knows how to fuckin' chew. (she's a super sweet black/lab/pit mix and is terrified of all males because she was abused as a pup. She lets me pet her but she's very wary of any dudes that are not boney. Muscle or fat or over 6 ft she's scared of you if you are male)

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 9, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if someone objects to an animal sponsorship they are either a huge jerkhole or just too too too far gone

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pick posted:

if someone objects to an animal sponsorship they are either a huge jerkhole or just too too too far gone

I think I'm gonna break the 25 dollar rule, get my sis a sponsorship for a wild african dog for 50 bucks and get her dog a toy. She can't possibly be saddened by that right?

{the rest of my fammily would understand why I spent more on her... she's.... unique}

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Wendigee posted:

I think I'm gonna break the 25 dollar rule, get my sis a sponsorship for a wild african dog for 50 bucks and get her dog a toy. She can't possibly be saddened by that right?

{the rest of my fammily would understand why I spent more on her... she's.... unique}

Shes going to cry that she didn't get you anything as wonderful.

TO which you should respond "Not true, I have you for a sister."

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Pick posted:

If someone unironically gave me an animal sponsorship I wouldn't object, but I would be like: really? this is all you could come up with?

Which is why I'm hesitant to do it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Wendigee posted:

If someone unironically gave me an animal sponsorship I wouldn't object, but I would be like: really? this is all you could come up with?

Which is why I'm hesitant to do it.

Well the thing is the reason you're doing it is because your sister is super sincere about animals and caring about them. Like I said the most important thing about gifts is putting a little thought into them about what the person relates to.

You? You probably really don't care about a dog in Africa. I don't either and would consider it a lovely gift I'd accept but not be thrilled over.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Get her a raspberry pi.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Al Borland posted:

Well the thing is the reason you're doing it is because your sister is super sincere about animals and caring about them. Like I said the most important thing about gifts is putting a little thought into them about what the person relates to.

You? You probably really don't care about a dog in Africa. I don't either and would consider it a lovely gift I'd accept but not be thrilled over.

Al Borland, I think you may be correct. Thank you female or not. I'm gonna pull the loving trigger and bring the tequila in case we all need to get drunk to shut out the pain.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Wendigee posted:

Al Borland, I think you may be correct. Thank you female or not. I'm gonna pull the loving trigger and bring the tequila in case we all need to get drunk to shut out the pain.

Hopin for the best for you buddy. Just know if things start to go super crazy sometimes its best to not say anything at all and let them burn themselves out.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Al Borland posted:

Hopin for the best for you buddy. Just know if things start to go super crazy sometimes its best to not say anything at all and let them burn themselves out.

Bad part is she's living with my awesome parents so they suffer when she does. I have to hedge my bets, but I'm gonna try this animal donation stuff. Have a good holiday.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
edit: oops wrong thread :P

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Avshalom posted:

i miss irc and want to go chat to some goons but ever since i started using it my downloads have been through the roof, like 4gb a day (and i live in a technological third world dystopia so i only get 8gb a month)

it seems ultra strange that irc would cause this, but i have no malware on my system and since i've stopped using it the downloads have dropped back to normal

does anybody know if this is a legit issue and/or how to fix it because i somewhat miss your handsome selves

Waitwait there's a ladies IRC? This thread moves too drat fast.

Fat li'l puppies. :3:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
SynIRC, Channel #girlz

Or this: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23girlz

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Are they all able to get enough milk? Is there a runt?

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Wendigee posted:

Bad part is she's living with my awesome parents so they suffer when she does. I have to hedge my bets, but I'm gonna try this animal donation stuff. Have a good holiday.

get something small to go along with it if you're worried about the "physical aspect"

like see if you can find a stuffed dog on the internet or some sort of phone charm on etsy or something

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Are they all able to get enough milk? Is there a runt?
my childhood dog was a runt and he grew up into the most gregarious, diplomatic little animal who befriended every species (except rabbits, gently caress rabbits)

runts are the best

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Oh I like runts was just asking. I also hate rabbits. I mean I like to eat them but hate living ones

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Oh I like runts was just asking. I also hate rabbits. I mean I like to eat them but hate living ones
i didn't doubt you for a second! i just wanted to share my positive runt experience

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
the runts are gaining weight at the same rate as the fatties

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

PUPTATOES :kimchi:

how many of you are wearing tacky christmas jewellery already
I know I am
fuckin love christmas
it's funny how much more enthusiastic I got about it since I nearly finished my shopping :getin:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I don't own any tacky Christmas jewelry, am I ladying wrong? I absolutely hate Christmas, so the idea of themed jewelry does nothing for me.

I've got a bunch of ladystuff on the way via mail. Perfume, hand cream, eye shadow, bath and body stuff. Plus a metric fuckton of presents. Presents for the kid, presents for the fiance, presents for my potential future MIL and my kid's godmother, presents for two different Elfster (secret santa organizing site) exchanges, presents for friends. I freaking love shopping, both for myself and other people.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I don't own any Christmas stuff either... I guess i have plenty of festive jewelry, but nothing particularly seasonal. I did have to go to an ugly Christmas sweater party for work a few years back, but I donated the horrible thing not long after.

Speaking of work, I still don't know if I have a snow day today or not. Waiting is the worst, I need to know what mode to be in.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

vaguely posted:

PUPTATOES :kimchi:

how many of you are wearing tacky christmas jewellery already
I know I am
fuckin love christmas
it's funny how much more enthusiastic I got about it since I nearly finished my shopping :getin:

I probably will for the last day of group before Christmas hols. They've started selling silly earrings and stuff in the cheap poo poo shops now and I've been eyeing them up.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I don't care for jewelry, so my tacky Christmas thing is music. Blast those carols 24/7 until my ears bleed.

FYI the best carols are the religious ones, I don't care if you're not religious because I love them and I'm not at all

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I came back to this thread just in time :3: puppies!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Gyre posted:

I don't care for jewelry, so my tacky Christmas thing is music. Blast those carols 24/7 until my ears bleed.

FYI the best carols are the religious ones, I don't care if you're not religious because I love them and I'm not at all

Fo SHO! I collect Christmas albums. My favorite is The Rat Pack Christmas. Lots of Scotch in that album.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

His eye is open kind of! That one should be named Hawking because he's the least dummy of the dummy puppies.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Fabulist posted:

I don't own any tacky Christmas jewelry, am I ladying wrong? I absolutely hate Christmas, so the idea of themed jewelry does nothing for me.

Aw no you're all right, I'm the worst at ladying, I compensate by just being really obvious about how terrible at fashion I am
Which is why the Santa earrings
What I don't understand is why ugly jumpers are apparently cool now, everywhere I go there's someone who looks like they should know better sporting a big jolly reindeer on their chest and I'm like, huh, apparently I've accidentally become less dorky than actual fashion is

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hey, pupples are getting their eyes!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

AHHHH wookit dem faces! I WILL SMOOSH THEM ALL! :neckbeard:

I 100% can't get into jewelry, I just can't. i don't like wearing it. it is one of my biggest lady failures :( but every so often i'll get, like, a necklace or bracelet and be all "yes, this is the one, this will spark the love" and it never ever does

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have ONE necklace I care about. I bought it for the beads (like little pointy cones) since I was using them to make plush animals at the time. I never got around to that one so I just had this necklace around. Now I wear it because it's pointy :buddy:.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i wore some obnoxious christmas earrings to synagogue a few years ago just to troll. no one cared bc my temple is reform :(

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I am rocking the festive socks because my kids like them. They are black with white polka dots and santa.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

My cousin asked me what I wanted for Christmas but I literally have no idea what I want, I'm a very content person.

Oracle posted:

I am rocking the festive socks because my kids like them. They are black with white polka dots and santa.

I'm rocking striped grey green and purple socks.

I remember going to the store and buying them, seeing knee socks, and pondering what kind of people wear those in this day and age that isn't doing a school girl kink thing with their partner

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Knee socks go well under boots during winter, when all warmth must be conserved, lest death take you.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Pick posted:

Knee socks go well under boots during winter, when all warmth must be conserved, lest death take you.

Yeah but that's what leggings and thermal underwear is for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
everyone stuck for christmas gifts for ladies, this shop is really cool: http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/wendigoeater2

it's where a group of huichol artisans from near jalisco sell their folk art, and it's super beautiful and relatively cheap. a lot of indigenous mexican people make their living from making and selling traditionally-inspired hand-done beadwork, weaving and sculpture, and huichol are leaders in this kind of folk art economy. at this shop you can get peyote flower necklaces for under $20, beaded sculptures for about $25, beaded gourd bowls for under $40, and some pieces of jewellery like earrings and bracelets and simpler necklaces for like $10. i have a gourd bowl that i hung on my wall from them and my mum bought me a necklace from there for a present this year because i asked her to, it's a really cool shop and the money goes back into the community which is great because huichol peoples make a lot of their meagre living from selling their art. there are lots of other suppliers of huichol folk art but i've only bought from this group so far

also if you have a knitter or crocheter in the family and want to buy a really cool, meaningful and vaguely humanitarian gift, there's also this site: http://store.darngoodyarn.com/
it's run by an american ex-military woman who decided to do something decent after fighting for imperialism, so now she sells recycled sari yarn which is child-labour-free and pays nepalese and indian women a living wage for hand-spun/dyed yarn. $13 for 150 yards seems dear, but that's because the yarn industry is revolting and operates primarily in countries were workers aren't payed a living wage and are sacked and left to die in the gutters coughing their lungs out after breathing in fibres for years. ethical wool is hard to find, and this yarn is ethical imo

• Locked thread