Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

First piece of advice, is don't get too invested before the incoming patch since you are going to be restarting after the character wipe.

Second, assuming you don't want to just look up locations where all the easy to snatch loot is, I would recommend upgrading your bow before your weapon. The bow does good damage, and yields meat which will pile up in no time. Farming is slow and requires a lot of set up. The first bow upgrade will one shot almost anything on your first low threat level worlds. Also don't be a dumbass like me and spend the first hour using the matter manipulator for mining. The game still has picks that you can make and even the shittiest one is much faster than the MM.

You should be crafting a weapon at all really; the craftable weapons are currently garbage compared to what you find as loot. The bows are also pretty awful compared to the weapons you find as loot. Though the rebalance patch may change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, I don't know if you're as dumb as I am, but if you are, the reason you can't plant anything is because you have to make a hoe and till the soil first.

Man I didn't even try. I strictly just tried to hunt with the bow for alien meat and I sucked at it for the most part.

Underwhelmed posted:

First piece of advice, is don't get too invested before the incoming patch since you are going to be restarting after the character wipe.

Second, assuming you don't want to just look up locations where all the easy to snatch loot is, I would recommend upgrading your bow before your weapon. The bow does good damage, and yields meat which will pile up in no time. Farming is slow and requires a lot of set up. The first bow upgrade will one shot almost anything on your first low threat level worlds. Also don't be a dumbass like me and spend the first hour using the matter manipulator for mining. The game still has picks that you can make and even the shittiest one is much faster than the MM.

Too late for that. I suppose when the patch goes live and I restart that I won't have to spend so much time trying to mine with that thing. I'll just make myself a crappy pick and get to work. Gonna miss that upgraded bow though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I only made it to the Beta sector last time but I'm hoping the patch revises guns to make them more potent against monster, since they felt weak against same-level stuff before. Using the guns is just like Soldat, I love that this game could be a co-op world-exploring Soldat.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Genocyber posted:

You should be crafting a weapon at all really; the craftable weapons are currently garbage compared to what you find as loot. The bows are also pretty awful compared to the weapons you find as loot. Though the rebalance patch may change that.

Right now the first weapons you can craft are level 5, which will one-shot anything on your starting planet. Beyond that I'm not sure how well they (would have) scaled up. Not that any of that matters with the new patch! :pseudo:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I made an obligatory "explore planet while playing musical instrument" video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EX71OkS0nY

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Genocyber posted:

Dunno, when I first hit the beta sector my weapons with max armor piercing of 12 were pretty crappy compared to the ones I could craft that all head 15. They certainly get useless fast as soon as you farmed a bit (or just looked up the cordinates for a weapon merchant) but at least the tier 2 stuff is good starter gear for the beta sector.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Reiley posted:

I only made it to the Beta sector last time but I'm hoping the patch revises guns to make them more potent against monster, since they felt weak against same-level stuff before. Using the guns is just like Soldat, I love that this game could be a co-op world-exploring Soldat.

Well, they're doing a whole overhaul on the damage/armor system so I guess we'll see how it works! I think it's going to be based more on absolute damage values so it'll be more scalable and less abrupt on how you get your rear end kicked.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
How does the 3D printer work (other than being an exploit to dupe items for free)?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

darnon posted:

How does the 3D printer work (other than being an exploit to dupe items for free)?

Items that have a pixel cost when you mouse over them (so, mostly decorations and some tools) can be placed into the 3D printer (open the 3D printer up, then your inventory) and "scanned" for a pixel cost. This destroys the item but allows you to replicate for a pixel cost at a later date, allowing you to make more decorations etc without scouring planets to find another one of whatever thing you want.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

I found a pretty decent sword while exploring at night and figured I didn't have to craft any other weaponry. Plus I was too busy trying to find silver for my distress beacon rather than worrying about weapons. That was a mistake.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Dunno, when I first hit the beta sector my weapons with max armor piercing of 12 were pretty crappy compared to the ones I could craft that all head 15. They certainly get useless fast as soon as you farmed a bit (or just looked up the cordinates for a weapon merchant) but at least the tier 2 stuff is good starter gear for the beta sector.

Well yeah. What I mean is it's trivial to just go to a planet with the max threat level in that sector and find a weapon with that level as loot in a chest or something.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Tiy mentioned that the update will drop tonight (= UK time) or early tomorrow.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Genocyber posted:

This totally depends on luck.

I have found exactly one weapon that was better than my base upgrade melee weapons (a bone maul that fired a spread shot of bones which was admittedly pretty bad-rear end) The iron bow is cheap, and counts as hunting for purposes of getting leather and food. If you are skimming the list, and going to worlds that you know have good loot, then what you say is definitely true, but if you are relying on only what you find yourself, there is no guarantee you will find anything worth a drat, I know I sure as hell haven't in two fresh starts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

This totally depends on luck.

I have found exactly one weapon that was better than my base upgrade melee weapons (a bone maul that fired a spread shot of bones which was admittedly pretty bad-rear end) The iron bow is cheap, and counts as hunting for purposes of getting leather and food. If you are skimming the list, and going to worlds that you know have good loot, then what you say is definitely true, but if you are relying on only what you find yourself, there is no guarantee you will find anything worth a drat, I know I sure as hell haven't in two fresh starts.

When you say "better" what stats are you comparing? Cause the only important one is Armor Penetration. A weapon with 11 Armor Penetration will be better than a weapon with 10 in 99% of cases. And weapons you find in chests, from enemies, or from shops will always be at around the threat level of the planet, if not higher.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Clocks posted:

Items that have a pixel cost when you mouse over them (so, mostly decorations and some tools) can be placed into the 3D printer (open the 3D printer up, then your inventory) and "scanned" for a pixel cost. This destroys the item but allows you to replicate for a pixel cost at a later date, allowing you to make more decorations etc without scouring planets to find another one of whatever thing you want.

The costs of some items seems really wierd though. For kicks I tried some glitch standing candle things, and those were 1k pixels a pop to recreate, after 500 pixels scanningcost.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Here's my story with Starbound since launch:

It all started at spawn, figuring things out with everyone else- new and afraid!

Old Butts finally finishes decorating his space-trailer.

After a couple days of spelunking, the space-trailer has gained a personality of its own!

Space-penguin would have none of it! He brought his best friend to rain on my parade! Good thing Old Butts has friends!

With all of this exploring, we had to go where no man had gone before!

Made a nice hunting lodge for those damnable space-birds!

Old Butts has an identity crisis and tries interior decorating. Things are looking pretty good!

The last part of Old Butts' saga is the wipe. He figured he would go out the best way possible- loads of poo poo everywhere.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
The behavior of the molten core was very surprising to me, though it should not have been. Instead of being instant death upon touching it, it works like a quick-poison red water. I wonder if there are things that can be spawned in the core, like a temple or something, that are somehow protected from it that would justify exploring it further. I'm interested to do that. Are there any ways to protect yourself from inevitable death in the core of a world?

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

So I managed to find schematics for a chest while I was exploring. I assume that's what I would scan into the 3D printer?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Lucid Delusion posted:

So I managed to find schematics for a chest while I was exploring. I assume that's what I would scan into the 3D printer?

Schematics are 'usable' - as in, pick the item up and leftclick outside of your inventory. The same goes for techs, blueprints, food, bandages and stimpacks.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Lucid Delusion posted:

No, those you whip out and eat. The furniture you steal with the matter manipulator is what goes into the scanner.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

There should really be a notice on a merchant's window that tells you if you already know a blueprint or not :argh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

B'aww I was hoping for lunchtime West coast time-ish, so I could play today. :)

Oh well, soon enough I suppose.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BombermanX posted:

The last part of Old Butts' saga is the wipe.

:haw:

Feenix posted:

B'aww I was hoping for lunchtime West coast time-ish, so I could play today. :)

Oh well, soon enough I suppose.
Well, 8 PM GMT (UK time) is noon PST, so chin up.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 9, 2013

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I made a mod. This is a Glitch hair that makes it so its like a cat is piloting a robot person. You can choose the color of the cat:

Drop this in steam\steamapps\common\starbound\assets\humanoid\glitch\hair over whichever one you want to replace, I edited it over 34.png.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Whoever it was that posted coordinates to the Horsebutt system, thank you.

I'm home, at last :3: Too bad it's all going to burn in just a few hours.
Where else COULD you live in the Horsebutt system, if not on in number 2?

BombermanX posted:

After a couple days of spelunking, the space-trailer has gained a personality of its own!

My dad was a trucker and I just wanna say, that space-trailer is 100% legit. Everything about it.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 9, 2013

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Clocks posted:

I've been doing just this, but every time I've tried, the 3D printer just ate the item without putting anything in the list of stuff I could make. Anyone know what's up with it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slashrat posted:

I've been doing just this, but every time I've tried, the 3D printer just ate the item without putting anything in the list of stuff I could make. Anyone know what's up with it?

Beta

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Slashrat posted:

This happened to me with some seeds, but when I came back who knows how many hours later, I could make them :confused:

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

I made the only mod that matters.

Is it still considered a mod if I'm just restoring alpha content? :shrug:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hubris.height posted:

The behavior of the molten core was very surprising to me, though it should not have been. Instead of being instant death upon touching it, it works like a quick-poison red water. I wonder if there are things that can be spawned in the core, like a temple or something, that are somehow protected from it that would justify exploring it further. I'm interested to do that. Are there any ways to protect yourself from inevitable death in the core of a world?

Red stims outheal the magma's damage.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

I made the only mod that matters.

Is it still considered a mod if I'm just restoring alpha content? :shrug:

:stare:

Your character must now strut around in a set of princely robes.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Lucid Delusion posted:

:stare:

Your character must now strut around in a set of princely robes.
The Royal Penis is clean Your Highness.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Segmentation Fault posted:

:haw:

Well, 8 PM GMT (UK time) is noon PST, so chin up.

I more meant the possibility it was "tomorrow".

But I'll keep positive..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So there's no point in starting today if they're about to wipe everything, right? Bummer.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Where did they tell us that theres going to be a wipe?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

New Leaf posted:

So there's no point in starting today if they're about to wipe everything, right? Bummer.

If you want to see patch progression, test the game, and don't mind doing stuff over, play away. If you want to keep your stuff, wait.

I feel like I've seen everything I want to in this build and look forward to the damage balancing to see how it is.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

halwain posted:

Where did they tell us that theres going to be a wipe?

It might be possible to dump all your stuff in a locker on a planet (not your ship, since that's per-character) and be able to keep it after the update, if it doesn't modify worldgen. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

http://pastebin.com/f6YqE0GY

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Nice, it's literally Pokémon, hopefully even more so when PvP gets implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

babies havin rabies posted:

Nice, it's literally Pokémon, hopefully even more so when PvP gets implemented.

/pvp

same to turn off.

• Locked thread