Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Delaio posted:

awesome bone club thing that shoots more bones.

That thing has been the culprit of more impromptu ship redecoratings than I can count. I finally upgraded from it, then a friend got one and inadvertently smashed my storage again. At least it was great against the first boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jackard posted:

How do you do this?

I posted how to mod the matter manipulator and pickaxes a few pages back. It's insane how easy it is to completely break the game with a few text file edits; almost everything imaginable is stored in plain text files in Starbound\assets. Let's start with Starbound\assets\player.config. Falling damage is based on how long you've been falling, with 'minimumFallTime' of a second by default, which I changed to 1000. You can also change how fast your energy regens, or how long you can breathe underwater, or even your interact radius. There's a variable for 'initialBeamGunRadius' of 15.5, which controls how far the matter manipulator reaches. Change that to 60, and you can dig tunnels around the edge of your screen.

Next, assets\tech\mech\humanmech\humanmech.tech, assets\projectiles\gun\unsorted\rocket\rocket.projectile, projectiles\explosions\regularexplosion2\regularexplosion2.config and \regularexplosion2.projectile. I changed the mech to have a walkSpeed of 20, multiplied the groundForce, airForce and liquidForce by 10, and changed jumpspeed to 30, jumpInitialPercentage to 1, jumpHoldTime to 60, mechAimLimit to 90, and mechProjectile to rocket. I also changed rocket.projectile to have armorPenetration of 45, regularexplosion2.config to have foregroundRadius of 10 and explosiveDamageAmount of 100, and regularexplosion2.projectile to have armorPenetration of 45; probably overkill, but you never know.
Basically, I changed the mech tech to travel really fast, jump from 30 to 1500+ units vertically by holding down space, and shoot high powered explosive rockets to punch huge holes in everything, or just mine with the mech if you want. It is absolutely insane...

Edit: Also, if you're tired of losing tons of pixels every time you die, go to player.config and change reviveCost percentile to 1.0 or whatever you want.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 9, 2013

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Anyone looking to edit the starting chest, you want to edit the default.treasurepools file in /starbound/assets/treasure.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Musluk posted:

/pvp

same to turn off.

There are server commands? Are there other server commands?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Weapon balancing is done, armor balancing is done, now Tiy is working on bows. Maybe the update will be soon? :suspense:

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Are you able to use the edited files in a multiplayer game?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

insomne posted:

Are you able to use the edited files in a multiplayer game?

To some extent the modded tools work.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Vib Rib posted:

I wouldn't mind this wipe so much except I knew about it ahead of time. If the patch had just come out out of the blue with a wipe I'd be fine with it, since I could just jump right in to new content and features. But having it looming over my head is different. I guess it's the knowing that bugs me. Ignorance is bliss.

Oh, who am I kidding? I can't stay away that long.

Might do this, actually, but it's still not clear where and how dropped/looted schematics are handled, or where we'd put them.

I havent played for several days, even though I'd like to, because I'm just waiting for this drat patch. How dare they make me wait?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Sitting here looking at the clock, waiting for 22:00 GMT to strike. I've convinced myself that's the time the patch will land. Or all this waiting will have been for nothing. Until 22:01.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

That's because there's already a default background on the ship. Remove it first.

Wow okay thank you. The exposed internals of the ships are adorable on their own too.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So, uh, is there a way to rotate or flip furniture and decorations so they face a different direction? I can't seem to figure it out if there is. :saddowns:

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Umberger posted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools

Edit beamaxe.beamaxe to have a fireTime of whatever (lower means it mines faster) and blockRadius/altBlockRadius of whatever you want (alt means the radius when you hold Shift).

So for anyone who's reached the TL 35+ worlds: what do you do? I feel like the "dungeons" are just way too hard. Even with the best armor, anything with a gun will destroy you, and anything with melee can one-shot you but the best craftable weapon takes a while to kill them. I assume the endgame is just unfinished/not tuned properly but if there's something I'm missing I'd like to know.

e: Also I know the weapons/armor/creatures are receiving a pretty big revamp tomorrow (also beta etc). So it's entirely possible that it's just not ready yet.

Thank you for this. Now I'm not sure if I would be better off just doing that edit or crafting a pickaxe early on. I think I would rather save the resources for other uses.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Pussy Cartel posted:

So, uh, is there a way to rotate or flip furniture and decorations so they face a different direction? I can't seem to figure it out if there is. :saddowns:

Just use A and D while holding them with the manipulator.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pussy Cartel posted:

Yeah, I think their direction is based on the direction you're facing. Furniture is that way at least.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, I think their direction is based on the direction you're facing. Furniture is that way at least.

I don't think it's direction facing, but actually the direction you last pressed. So even when facing right, tapping A will cause the object to face left.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I literally spent most of last night working on it and then found out this morning about the upcoming wipe (I started playing before rushing off to check the SA thread, what a faux pas) so yeah your lovely attempt at sarcasm is actually spot on.
Blame yourself or the OP for not understanding what you were getting into. Their press releases have had plenty of warnings.

http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 9, 2013

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I literally spent most of last night working on it and then found out this morning about the upcoming wipe (I started playing before rushing off to check the SA thread, what a faux pas) so yeah your lovely attempt at sarcasm is actually spot on.

:qq:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Mods are clientside. Any mod where you are simply editing an existing item somehow will work on servers. IE if you mod your beam-gun to mine super quick, it will work that way in MP too. The only mods that aren't compatible with MP are ones that add graphics/items. I used the mod that added the space-station as your default ship, and since it added graphics, it showed up black to my friend. He could travel everywhere and see stuff I had placed, but the station graphic itself was invisible to him. If he'd had it installed too, he would have seen it fine.

The major MP compatibility issue is in regards to adding a new item. If a client connects to a planet/ship with an item they don't have, they will crash. Other than that, you're fine. I'm gonna make a bunch of custom hats for my friends and I on my server.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Playing music from old videogames have never been more fun.

I'm going to miss all my instruments once the wipe hits. I don't want to go and recollect all of them again. :(

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Blame yourself or the OP for not understanding what you were getting into. Their press releases have had plenty of warnings.

http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/

Yet another ALL CAPS notice appended to the top of the OP. Please read the things in ALL CAPS people.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Weapon balancing is done, armor balancing is done, now Tiy is working on bows. Maybe the update will be soon? :suspense:

Where did you read this? Is this the last thing that needs to be done? There aren't that many bows, so hopefully it'll be soon. I have never been so impatient for a game update. Argh!

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Smoremaster posted:

Where did you read this? Is this the last thing that needs to be done? There aren't that many bows, so hopefully it'll be soon. I have never been so impatient for a game update. Argh!

People are quoting from some chat. It MAY be faked, who knows. Hopefully it's not. Hopefully "early tomorrow" means half-past midnight.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/1shskj/armor_done/

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

Sitting here looking at the clock, waiting for 22:00 GMT to strike. I've convinced myself that's the time the patch will land. Or all this waiting will have been for nothing. Until 22:01.

Hey, I went back to try to watch your Bright Side of Life video again, only to find it's now marked as private, so I can't. :saddowns:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Smoremaster posted:

well he better take his time to avoid repeating the snow trooper armor kind of mistake. a wrong number in the wrong place can potentially ruin the patch

i wonder if they have gotten around to make better tools to edit all that crap than notepad++, it seems like tools could make it easier to make sweeping balance changes and check for common mistakes etc.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Zlodo posted:

well he better take his time to avoid repeating the snow trooper armor kind of mistake. a wrong number in the wrong place can potentially ruin the patch

i wonder if they have gotten around to make better tools to edit all that crap than notepad++, it seems like tools could make it easier to make sweeping balance changes and check for common mistakes etc.

They're just using your average text-editing tools :shobon:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Zlodo posted:

I think they're keeping it incredibly simple just to keep everything mod-friendly ranging from "hey I want the matter manipulator to be a little more effective" to "I'm going to completely revamp this game and turn it into Dark Souls". Depending on the complexity of the tools, they'd then have to release a user friendly version with documentation, tutorials, etc. It might not be a bad thing that it's all text files at this point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Umberger posted:

I think they're keeping it incredibly simple just to keep everything mod-friendly ranging from "hey I want the matter manipulator to be a little more effective" to "I'm going to completely revamp this game and turn it into Dark Souls". Depending on the complexity of the tools, they'd then have to release a user friendly version with documentation, tutorials, etc. It might not be a bad thing that it's all text files at this point.
They could make more high-level tools that still produce text files, you know.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

e: nvm

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Where's the bow file at? Bows really suck so I'm going to make them do 1000 damage so I can be a space hunter.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Umberger posted:

they could keep the text files as is but build tools on top of that to store everything in a database, allow to edit progression curves and ssuch and then spit out the text files, keeping their current format. at some point not making tools is only making it simple for the programmers, but not for the people who design the content

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I just figured he made the snow armor super tough on purpose to give the people who were having a hard time with the UFO boss a bit of a break.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah I'm getting really mad right now. Steam is coming out of my ears! Grrr.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Making high level mod tools sounds like a waste of dev time.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Where's the bow file at? Bows really suck so I'm going to make them do 1000 damage so I can be a space hunter.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\guns\test\
bow.gun
ironbow.gun
steelbow.gun
titaniumbow.gun

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Not only is that bone club kickass, it's a far better excavator than a pickeaxe: just slam on dirt and it all goes away in one or two hits, in a massive area.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

maketakunai posted:

titaniumbow.gun

Huh, I don't remember there being a titanium Bow being craftable. Is it in properly or did I just miss it?

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Mintergalactic posted:

I just figured he made the snow armor super tough on purpose to give the people who were having a hard time with the UFO boss a bit of a break.

I'm pretty sure it was deliberate. I don't think you type in armour values incorrectly three times.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
All of these file mods just seem like cheating to me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

H2Eau posted:

I'm pretty sure it was deliberate. I don't think you type in armour values incorrectly three times.

I don't think it was. IIRC he mentioned it was added with the intent of creating a low level armor with extremely high warmth in exchange for low armor.

Verranicus posted:

All of these file mods just seem like cheating to me.

You are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Delaio posted:

I did the same thing and lost 1500+ fabric. And I thought I was set on bandages for life (until reset anyway). A 30 second timer is not enough when I've just accidentally destroyed 6+ chests with my awesome bone club thing that shoots more bones.

You don't use fabric to make bandages, they're make straight from the plant fibers though.

Steam active users info posted:

Current Players | Peak Today | Game

253,797 | 547,638 | Dota 2
57,059 | 84,928 | Starbound

there's more people regularly logged in to Starbound than Counterstrike. Will be curious to see if there's numbers given in a month for units sold while it's still in beta.

• Locked thread