Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Dumb question, is there anything more to interplanetary travel then filling your starship up with coal and entering co-ordinates? Do you have to fully fill up the tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Eryxias posted:

I mentioned way before beta that I had to make a Doctor as one of my characters.
Just couldn't resist
http://www.twitch.tv/eraxis/c/3368322

The noise can get a bit irritating when using it for too long though, might have to do something about that in the future.

Holy poo poo, would you post/host that mod? That's awesome, and I don't care how annoying it might get, the sonic screwdriver noise is spot on.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The Meat Dimension posted:

Dumb question, is there anything more to interplanetary travel then filling your starship up with coal and entering co-ordinates? Do you have to fully fill up the tank?

You're usually better off using Unrefined Wood but otherwise no.

No. You only need enough fuel to get where you want to go. How much that is I dunno cause I still haven't left my starting Star System. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You then need to select the star you entered the coordinates for, select a planet, then select the planet itself or one of its moons to land on, then hit Go.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

You can click around the starmap as well, instead of just entering co-ordinates. Right-click zooms out.

Fuel requirements are sometimes displayed on the bottom right of the navigation screen as a number (this has seemed buggy and inconsistent to me, sometimes it isn't there at all), and the fuel requirements are always displayed on your fuel bar when you click on a planet. If the bar becomes entirely red, then you don't have enough fuel.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Zurai posted:

That sounds like a moon rather than the planet. Check your system map.

That was it, thanks a ton! No telling how long it'd have taken me to figure that out without goons

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Eryxias posted:

I mentioned way before beta that I had to make a Doctor as one of my characters.
Just couldn't resist
http://www.twitch.tv/eraxis/c/3368322

The noise can get a bit irritating when using it for too long though, might have to do something about that in the future.

That's cool, but does it work on wood?

I'm a terrible nerd.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
The developer that is currently streaming mentioned in his little text FAQ that the update isn't out yet because the other devs are going through the whole game to make sure they didn't break anything or make progression impossible, etc.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Sorry to be all :downs:

edit -

Zereth posted:

You then need to select the star you entered the coordinates for, select a planet, then select the planet itself or one of its moons to land on, then hit Go.

This was what I was having a big problem with. I didn't tool around selecting planets or anything.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 10, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

An Unoriginal Name posted:

The developer that is currently streaming mentioned in his little text FAQ that the update isn't out yet because the other devs are going through the whole game to make sure they didn't break anything or make progression impossible, etc.

Which dev is currently streaming? Link?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

XboxPants posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/omnipotententity

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Jesus how do you even "go through the whole game" in any kind of quick manner?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

XboxPants posted:

You can also always check on the starbound wiki.
http://starbounder.org/Main_Page
They have a list on the side that shows when any of them are live.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hopefully that means they fixed/are fixing platinum ore generation with this patch, considering that the armor progression on that tier was already basically impossible before the update.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
So I found a tent on this planet and it's possibly the greatest thing in my inventory right now. I'm underground digging around for ores and I've been near death at least three times from attacks and the cold. Set up some torches and my tent and a minute later I'm fine. Perfect for extended exploring.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Thronde posted:

Holy poo poo, would you post/host that mod? That's awesome, and I don't care how annoying it might get, the sonic screwdriver noise is spot on.

Seconding this, I need this mod in my life.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You can go through the whole game pretty quickly if you have some way to cheat items. Probably under an hour.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
News from the stream: Omni is working on something unrelated to the patch - the reason why the patch is currently not up is the devs are doing a playthrough to make sure they didn't break progression.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lucid Delusion posted:

So I found a tent on this planet and it's possibly the greatest thing in my inventory right now. I'm underground digging around for ores and I've been near death at least three times from attacks and the cold. Set up some torches and my tent and a minute later I'm fine. Perfect for extended exploring.

Healing is something that all beds do (possibly at different rates?), but the tent is one of the cooler ones to find in the world.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Lucid Delusion posted:

I found a couple 30 feet from my initial starting point and I can't imagine how awful this game would be without one. Hoping regen accessories and the magic mirror from Terraria make it in at some point

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Feenix posted:

Jesus how do you even "go through the whole game" in any kind of quick manner?

Just like in Terraria: with a big group and just completely stomp through everything. I'm assuming it's mostly quests/bosses that they're testing.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

MrTheDevious posted:

I found a couple 30 feet from my initial starting point and I can't imagine how awful this game would be without one. Hoping regen accessories and the magic mirror from Terraria make it in at some point

You can make bandages out of plant fiber. They heal you much faster than the tent/bed items and you can do stuff while using them. If you like the tent, you should definitely look into stocking up on fiber.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Can someone please post a link to the interesting planets spreadsheet? I checked the OP and the last few pages.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Chop down some vines and make some bandages. You heal at a a much faster rate than you do in tents or beds.

The fastest healing bed I've come across is the Avian sacrificial altar.

dumpster17
Mar 16, 2013
Tp to ship already covers a lot of the magic mirror use, and health seems fixed, so hopefully less need for regen gear.

Constructable teleport platforms would be nice for getting out of the depths of the world, though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

im a girl btw posted:

Can someone please post a link to the interesting planets spreadsheet? I checked the OP and the last few pages.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit?usp=sharing&pref=2&pli=1

It's in the OP under a "here" link.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

dumpster17 posted:

Tp to ship already covers a lot of the magic mirror use, and health seems fixed, so hopefully less need for regen gear.

Constructable teleport platforms would be nice for getting out of the depths of the world, though.

I end up WAY the gently caress underground all the time and you can't TP from there :( TP platform back to the surface would be perfect

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Thanks. I just searched for 'spreadsheet' :doh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MrTheDevious posted:

I end up WAY the gently caress underground all the time and you can't TP from there :( TP platform back to the surface would be perfect

It's a work-around, but save and quit takes you back to your ship, then you can just beam back down.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A legit way to get out of the underground (i.e. something other than save+quit then rejoining) would be really nice, though I imagine it would cost some amount of pixels/ore/etc. per use to not be too easy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lallander posted:

You can also always check on the starbound wiki.
http://starbounder.org/Main_Page
They have a list on the side that shows when any of them are live.

Sweet, thanks!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

The cheater way out of the bottom of the planet is to just log out and log back in.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
There is a way to get back out from far underground, it costs 20% of your pixels, all you have to do is die.
After I'm done under ground I normally just jump in to the core of the planet.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The Shortest Path posted:

A legit way to get out of the underground (i.e. something other than save+quit then rejoining) would be really nice, though I imagine it would cost some amount of pixels/ore/etc. per use to not be too easy.

I don't see why there has to be a cost incurred with extracting yourself from deep underground. They shouldn't do something that would discourage people from digging. Just having a magic mirror-type item should be enough to get back to the surface.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I don't see why there has to be a cost incurred with extracting yourself from deep underground. They shouldn't do something that would discourage people from digging. Just having a magic mirror-type item should be enough to get back to the surface.

There's going to be, it's just not in yet.

Along with stuff to set your teleport point and all that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Does Starbound use Steam Cloud in any way? Is there an easy way to share saves between laptop and PC?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Yeah, same. This fetish for making things tedious (out of some misguided pursuit of "difficulty") is really dumb.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Not as of yet, but it is a planned feature.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Harlock posted:

Does Starbound use Steam Cloud in any way? Is there an easy way to share saves between laptop and PC?

No and no.

It kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah, letting us setup a 2-way teleporter(or even 1-way would be ok to) and have a second base underground to head out from when doing some spelunking in the depths would be awesome.

Edit: Read page slowly and forgott to refresh :downs: if it is an upcoming feature that is great!

• Locked thread