Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Lunimeow posted:

There is a way to get back out from far underground, it costs 20% of your pixels, all you have to do is die.
After I'm done under ground I normally just jump in to the core of the planet.
Yeah the pixel cost is going to 30% after the wipe. They're introducing pixel banking to compensation (but that also has a cost).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Harlock posted:

Does Starbound use Steam Cloud in any way? Is there an easy way to share saves between laptop and PC?

\steamapps\common\Starbound\player

Copy the .metadata, .player, and .shipworld files for your character and stick them in the same location on the other machine.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I would really like to see elevators in the future, It would be really neat to have an elevator that goes down to an underground base in the planets core.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah the pixel cost is going to 30% after the wipe. They're introducing pixel banking to compensation (but that also has a cost).

It all seems a bit high, but remember that the problem with money is the tedium associated with combat, which is being updated for this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

lohli posted:

\steamapps\common\Starbound\player

Copy the .metadata, .player, and .shipworld files for your character and stick them in the same location on the other machine.

So you could probably do some sort of clever symlinking to a Dropbox or similar.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lunimeow posted:

I would really like to see elevators in the future, It would be really neat to have an elevator that goes down to an underground base in the planets core.

Yeah, this would be great. Not sure how hard moving platforms are to do in this engine though (considering all the possible collisions that can occur.)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

The Deadly Hume posted:

I just modded the pixel death cost to nothing so I'd have a faster way out of the underground. Once there's a mirror equiv it's fine, but right now the whole thing is just annoying and pointless.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Harlock posted:

Does Starbound use Steam Cloud in any way? Is there an easy way to share saves between laptop and PC?
I've been using a USB stick. Copying the Player and Universe folders from your Steam folder works fine. It is indeed a pain.

MrTheDevious posted:

I just modded the pixel death cost to nothing so I'd have a faster way out of the underground. Once there's a mirror equiv it's fine, but right now the whole thing is just annoying and pointless.
Just save and quit to title. You'll end up back on your ship.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

StealthArcher posted:

It all seems a bit high, but remember that the problem with money is the tedium associated with combat, which is being updated for this.
Yeah, it seems like the combat changes should be an improvement so that'll be a general plus.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Party Alarm posted:

News from the stream: Omni is working on something unrelated to the patch - the reason why the patch is currently not up is the devs are doing a playthrough to make sure they didn't break progression.

That's the way it should be done, really. In fact it'd be better to have patches like once per week (at most) than a breakneck speed of a patch every couple days where there's a big chance for a small dumb little bug with big consequences to slip in.

They should even probably consider making a release branch that they test and stabilize over a few days while they continue making (and breaking) new stuff on their main branch.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I don't mind the pixel cost on death, but putting a cost on banking your money just seems really dumb and unnecessary to me. The cost of banking pixels is not having pixels to spend when you find a merchant or need to craft something; I shouldn't also have to lose money every time I want to save up, especially given how costly making a single item on the 3D Printer is relative to how much cash enemies drop.

There's no reason not to just put a free deposit/withdraw option on the ship's standard storage hold. The game has plenty of money sinks already and adding another is just being prohibitive for the sake of it.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Eiba posted:

Just save and quit to title. You'll end up back on your ship.

I would but the game takes a solid 30 seconds or more to load, so it's faster to just mod out pixel loss and suicide

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

This is how Tiy explains it:

Tiy posted:

You'll be able to make 1000, 2000, 5000 and 10000 pixel blocks. You'll lose around 40% of the pixels in return for banking them, this sounds like a lot but we're going to be increasing death penalty to 30% again. Which means in just 2 deaths you've lost 51% of your pixels.

So the bank is worth it if you're going to do something dangerous. It has a higher cost than dying because you can die more than once.

I know some people prefer having 1:1, but I can understand the want for this kind of balance. I mean, once they get the ability to move the point where you beam down, death has no meaning if there is not some kind of risk. This also rewards not dying, since if you don't die often, then it will be cheaper for you to hold onto your pixels, rewarding you for player better.

Also, calling piles of Pixels, Voxels. :allears:

Also, another thing to somehow fit onto my ship. Ship upgrades need to come out soon. :smith:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 10, 2013

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Enzer posted:

Also, calling pile of Pixels, Voxels. :allears:
Gonna build a house out of voxels.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

I would but the game takes a solid 30 seconds or more to load, so it's faster to just mod out pixel loss and suicide

A faster hard drive helps. I don't even see the Loading screen they've added and the game takes all of 4 seconds to load from clicking my character.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

kloa posted:

A faster hard drive helps. I don't even see the Loading screen they've added and the game takes all of 4 seconds to load from clicking my character.

This...I wasn't aware there even was a loading screen :v:

Can't wait for this wipe to happen, I just want to play dag nabit!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The Deadly Hume posted:

Oh god I hope this is possible.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

Thronde posted:

Holy poo poo, would you post/host that mod? That's awesome, and I don't care how annoying it might get, the sonic screwdriver noise is spot on.

It's not my mod, and I can't seem to find the original link so I can't give the original guy credit(sorry whoever you are out there)
Here's a copy of it though.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8va636loi9c3u9l/eyPbyaSV5F

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

The Deadly Hume posted:

Be sure to post the coordinates. :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zoe posted:

Be sure to post the coordinates. :)

Except that wouldn't do anything unless he built it on a server and you were playing on the same server.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Enzer posted:

death has no meaning if there is not some kind of risk. This also rewards not dying, since if you don't die often, then it will be cheaper for you to hold onto your pixels, rewarding you for player better.

I disagree with this, because punishing people for failure only makes it harder for them to stop failing. Especially since the main source of pixels is grinding enemies; that's not even fun. The game making you do unfun stuff, or rather more unfun stuff since it's pushing back progress you had previously made, is not good game design, at least assuming the goal is to have a game that's, you know, fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I don't mind the pixel cost on death, but putting a cost on banking your money just seems really dumb and unnecessary to me. The cost of banking pixels is not having pixels to spend when you find a merchant or need to craft something; I shouldn't also have to lose money every time I want to save up, especially given how costly making a single item on the 3D Printer is relative to how much cash enemies drop.

There's no reason not to just put a free deposit/withdraw option on the ship's standard storage hold. The game has plenty of money sinks already and adding another is just being prohibitive for the sake of it.
Honestly, in this system, I'd just throw all my pixels in the ship every time I was up there and never worry about dying again, except for the walk to get back where I was. It'd basically remove the pixel penalty for death, wouldn't it? I mean, I'd still loose ~30% of what I made that life, but that'd be just the cost of living.

Considering you whiz back and forth to your ship all the time, it's no big deal to find a merchant, and then go up to the ship to get your perfectly safe hoard. Especially considering non-frog merchants are all on the surface and you'll be able to move your beam-down point in the near future.

The voxel system seems pretty nice, as I'd know to take the hit if I was going down to scout a world 5 tiers too high (or whatever the equivalent is going to be), and then those big piles of cash would always be there for me as something nice to fall back on. Honestly, considering how easy it is to die, you'd still be saving a whole bunch of money, without it being entirely free and effortless.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
In Terraria death is basically a triviality because all you really have to do is bank all your cash and you'll never lose anything except maybe potion time. I think that's what they're attempting to avoid here. Hopefully once we have proper quests and vendors there will be more ways of making bank than just murdering dudes (which, agreed, is tedious)

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Ixjuvin posted:

In Terraria death is basically a triviality because all you really have to do is bank all your cash and you'll never lose anything except maybe potion time. I think that's what they're attempting to avoid here. Hopefully once we have proper quests and vendors there will be more ways of making bank than just murdering dudes (which, agreed, is tedious)

The refinery (whatever the Ore->Pixels thing is) is a pretty decent way of making money. Assuming they will eventually make it work for all types of ores (it seems like most of the Gamma and all of the X ores don't work) I don't think it'll be an issue. On X-system planets Titanium and above are fairly common, and enemies can give a couple hundred Pixels per kill.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

I disagree with this, because punishing people for failure only makes it harder for them to stop failing. Especially since the main source of pixels is grinding enemies; that's not even fun. The game making you do unfun stuff, or rather more unfun stuff since it's pushing back progress you had previously made, is not good game design, at least assuming the goal is to have a game that's, you know, fun.

Except that if you die a lot, then the pixel presser is a good investment for you, since it pays off if you die more than twice. If you play well and rarely die you will have a decent pixel count, if you die a lot and don't compress, you will lose out, if you die a lot and do compress, you will be way better off than someone who doesn't compress their pixels.

VVVV
poo poo, no, did someone grab a screen cap?

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 10, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh man, did anyone else see that drill that Omni is testing on stream? That looked awesome.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Yeah can't wait to have a sweet drill instead of a caveman pickaxe

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 10, 2013

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

so still no patch yet?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

so still no patch yet?

The devs are play testing the patch to make sure they didn't break progression since they overhauled so much.

---

The new drill looks nice, also it plows through material stupidly fast.

It is mining 2x2 squares right now, wonder if the end result will be as much as the pickaxe. Still hoping for 4x4 so the PC can walk through horizontal tunnels they carve.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Any indication of what will you need to craft a drill? Hopefully it's not too far up the tech chain.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Eryxias posted:

It's not my mod, and I can't seem to find the original link so I can't give the original guy credit(sorry whoever you are out there)
Here's a copy of it though.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8va636loi9c3u9l/eyPbyaSV5F

Thank you good goon sir.

Edit: Bummer, followed the directions in the readme, but it's not letting me craft it for some reason.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 10, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Enzer posted:

The devs are play testing the patch to make sure they didn't break progression since they overhauled so much.

---

The new drill looks nice, also it plows through material stupidly fast.

It is mining 2x2 squares right now, wonder if the end result will be as much as the pickaxe. Still hoping for 4x4 so the PC can walk through horizontal tunnels they carve.

From watching him play around with it, it seems like a fast, strong pick is still better than the drill. The limiting factor is how much fiddling you can do with your mouse, rather than the speed of your tool. Which is more annoying, to me.

The drill would have to be a LOT faster/powerful to make it work.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Aurain posted:

Go to the Starbound directory and see if starbound.log was updated when it happened. It probably didn't, but if it did, throw it in a pastebin and put it here. We have a couple of devs here so it'll help them diagnose the problem and hopefully prevent further instances.

This was posted way earlier today but I've been stuck at work since then. Game crashed on me this morning and oddly enough, my computer restarted immediately after. Here's the pastebin log:

http://pastebin.com/szk4JUw9

I'm on a decrepit old desktop with a dying hard drive so it was probably something on my end.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Eiba posted:

Honestly, in this system, I'd just throw all my pixels in the ship every time I was up there and never worry about dying again, except for the walk to get back where I was. It'd basically remove the pixel penalty for death, wouldn't it? I mean, I'd still loose ~30% of what I made that life, but that'd be just the cost of living.

Is that a problem, though? It can cost upwards of 1000 pixels just to decorate your ship or home with a single object, and it costs money to put that stuff in your printing system in the first place, plus the cost of crafting up through tech tiers. There's already a really high cost of living whether you're getting killed or not, unless you just don't care about stealing loads of cool alien furniture. Risk of death being whatever you've already collected on the planet sounds to me like exactly the sort of balance a game like this should have.

I could see some cost being reasonable to discourage obsessive hoarding, say 10% or 15% or so, but with a 40% banking penalty, there's no situation I can think of in which I would choose to craft voxels rather than just crafting/printing/scanning some bullshit to avoid burning nearly half of my money for no reason. Costing significantly more than a death just means that if I really need a huge number of pixels all at once (I have yet to see anything which costs that much) then I'm just going to go farm it somewhere safe (or use a refinery, if I have one), which isn't really an interesting risk/reward proposition and isn't a fun outcome.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
It isn't that much more than death, if you die twice you just lost 51% of your pixels as opposed to the 40% lost in keeping them safe. It might not be a good investment early on, but I can see on tougher worlds, or when you are going to take on a boss, or in PVP based servers, storing your pixels will be much more beneficial.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Any indication of what will you need to craft a drill? Hopefully it's not too far up the tech chain.

At what point in the current tier does the game expect you to have a diamond pick? Probably one stage beyond that, would not be surprised if the diamond pick was needed to make the drill.

Devor posted:

From watching him play around with it, it seems like a fast, strong pick is still better than the drill. The limiting factor is how much fiddling you can do with your mouse, rather than the speed of your tool. Which is more annoying, to me.

The drill would have to be a LOT faster/powerful to make it work.

True, but he is tweaking how it works right now, he just got the thing to actually drill a moment ago.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 10, 2013

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Ixjuvin posted:

I don't have a problem with Terraria's trivial deaths, because most of the time it's to dumb poo poo that comes from exploring the world. But when you're fighting a boss, there is a punishment for dying. You lose the item that you used to summon the boss and that needs to be crafted again. You probably won't have time for another attempt that night, so you'll have to blow a whole day cycle, so that's another penalty. In that sense, just farting around in a big sandbox game doesn't have a death penalty attached and that's good, but when you're fighting a boss there is a penalty for dying.

Similarly in Starbound if you screw up the UFO boss you have to claw up some more silver and iron ore and that's punishment enough in the early game. But when you're just trying to explore the planet and some space triceratops one-hit swipes you then restarting back at your ship should be enough of a setback.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they instituted something similar to the hard/soft deaths that Terraria uses.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Suggestion of my own:
Make inhabited planets rarer, that way it's a big deal meeting a new critter and finding villages or outposts. And have alot more hazardous airless dirtballs (which you can balance out by making rich in exotic ores). Force gating on the basis of fuel, you can't jump across the entire sector on 1/5th a tank of fuel, you need to slowly progress through nearby star systems before you gain the capacity for long-range jumps.

I liked the old system of crafting bandages from fabric from plant fibre, there was actually a point of having a home base with a loom. So, how about make it significantly more efficient to craft from plant fibre to fabric to bandages, instead of from raw plant fibre directly into bandages. Sure, you can lug around a 1-space loom everywhere, but it still helps My Immersion.

Some kind of scanner you can equip so you can N-examine mobs if they are hostile or neutral or friendly. Call it a Scouter, make DBZ jokes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Is that a problem, though? It can cost upwards of 1000 pixels just to decorate your ship or home with a single object, and it costs money to put that stuff in your printing system in the first place. There's already a really high cost of living whether you're getting killed or not, unless you just don't care about stealing loads of cool alien furniture. Risk of death being whatever you've already collected on the planet sounds to me like exactly the sort of balance a game like this should have.

I could see some cost being reasonable to discourage obsessive hoarding, say 10% or 15% or so, but with a 40% banking penalty, there's no situation I can think of in which I would choose to craft voxels rather than just crafting/printing/scanning some bullshit to avoid burning nearly half of my money for no reason. Costing significantly more than a death just means that if I really need a huge number of pixels all at once (I have yet to see anything which costs that much) then I'm just going to go farm it somewhere safe, which isn't an interesting risk/reward proposition and isn't a fun outcome.

I just don't get why there needs to be a cost. Like you said, 3D-printed decorations are loving expensive, and so is higher-tier armor and boss-summoning stuff.

Maybe I'm just old, but this whole "omg death doesn't have a meaningful impact, this sucks" poo poo just seems really dumb to me. v:shobon:v

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Quick and dirty how to use dropbox to sync non steam cloud games

MOVE the folder you want to sync into your dropbox, then use this command:

code:
mklink /j "path to old folder location" "dropbox folder"
It looks like this for me (I have steam and documents moved to another drive):

code:
mklink /j "D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\player" "D:\mydocs\My Documents\Dropbox\Savegames\Starbound\player"
If you did it right, in the old file location there will be a shortcut arrow on the folder icon.

It may not be the most elegant or correct solution, but it seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Why don't they make the drill mine 2x4 sections? It would let you drill down really fast or dig horizontally without needing to move your mouse.

• Locked thread