Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Party Alarm posted:

Why don't they make the drill mine 2x4 sections? It would let you drill down really fast or dig horizontally without needing to move your mouse.

He's still working on it. It could very well end up like that! (and if it doesn't, you could just mod it to act that way yourself.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Drills were very annoying in Terraria because:
1) They obscured mined tiles and it was super easy to lose track what's mined and what not.
2) Their sound was super obnoxious.

Hope they'll be better here.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

omeg posted:

All drills play Careless Whisper when used.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Enzer posted:

All drills play Careless Whisper when used.

No good. That's what I do when I'm exploring.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Suggestion of my own:
Make inhabited planets rarer, that way it's a big deal meeting a new critter and finding villages or outposts. And have alot more hazardous airless dirtballs (which you can balance out by making rich in exotic ores). Force gating on the basis of fuel, you can't jump across the entire sector on 1/5th a tank of fuel, you need to slowly progress through nearby star systems before you gain the capacity for long-range jumps.

Inhabited planets or planets with ruins are the most interesting feature about this game and it'd be an absolute travesty to dilute their presence with even more empty hills.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So im watching the stream and 2 things jumped out at me;

Chainsaw.png and beamaxe.png

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Beamaxe is the internal name for the matter manipulator.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Devor posted:

From watching him play around with it, it seems like a fast, strong pick is still better than the drill. The limiting factor is how much fiddling you can do with your mouse, rather than the speed of your tool. Which is more annoying, to me.

The drill would have to be a LOT faster/powerful to make it work.
Maybe it's meant for detail work with strong materials, tho? All those colored titanium bathroom tiles and decorative ceiling beam blocks you need to shift just one square over.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Gravgun was the one to notice.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
Huh, wonder what that would do since that is more or less what the MM does already.. maybe it is for organics?

--

Though chainsaws make sense to be the next upgrade choice for the axe. Wonder if there is going to be more unique wood that is harder to cut through?

Also, is anybody catching the name of the drill he is testing when he mouses over it? The tooltip disappears too fast, trying to see if it has a material name attached to it to gauge where it is in the tech tree.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Starbound isn't minecraft or terraria and has a much greater focus on combat and quests and focusing some of the impact death has on your ability to build is appropriate. Otherwise questing will only impact the crafting part of the game positively, which will make the optimal strategy zerging the hardest zones you can survive in long enough to put minerals in your pockets. This is more boring than managing the risk / reward of storing pixels versus keeping them on your person, especially since you can literally beam to safety when you're on the surface of a planet.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I've found unrefined metal wood from metal trees, so there are definately different types of wood

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure I saw someone running around with a chainsaw (or an item that looked like one) on a multiplayer server last night. I never saw them use it on anything, though, so no clue what it actually does. It did look more like a tool/miscellaneous item than a melee weapon, since they were visibly free-aiming it like a gun or instrument.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Enzer posted:

Also, is anybody catching the name of the drill he is testing when he mouses over it? The tooltip disappears too fast, trying to see if it has a material name attached to it to gauge where it is in the tech tree.

I think it was just "Basic Drill".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eiba posted:

Honestly, in this system, I'd just throw all my pixels in the ship every time I was up there and never worry about dying again, except for the walk to get back where I was. It'd basically remove the pixel penalty for death, wouldn't it? I mean, I'd still loose ~30% of what I made that life, but that'd be just the cost of living.

Considering you whiz back and forth to your ship all the time, it's no big deal to find a merchant, and then go up to the ship to get your perfectly safe hoard. Especially considering non-frog merchants are all on the surface and you'll be able to move your beam-down point in the near future.

The voxel system seems pretty nice, as I'd know to take the hit if I was going down to scout a world 5 tiers too high (or whatever the equivalent is going to be), and then those big piles of cash would always be there for me as something nice to fall back on. Honestly, considering how easy it is to die, you'd still be saving a whole bunch of money, without it being entirely free and effortless.

Maybe if my starting world isn't made 90% out of animals with projectile streams who take out 1/3 my health if they clip me with a single bit of fire breath this time, I'd feel there was a difference of risk vs reward compared to "poo poo, how am I even going to GET enough pixels to make a 1k bar before I've scrounged up enough material to make death not an issued in the first place on my starter world?" More so with the nerf to snow gear (which only brought my starting world wildlife from "gently caress you" to "Treat with caution").

If the combat tweak makes things less insane as hoped then it should be okay. I know my starting world was just obscenely dangerous by luck of the draw considering the Snow world I went to next was all melee chargers easily dealt with, instead of Birds with multiple forms of projectile attack and land animals that made me find fighting dungeon enemies armed with laser guns RELAXING by comparison.

I should not be thanking Kluex every second I am fighting dungeon enemies armed with machineguns instead of "Threat 1 Starting Spawn" wildlife spitting needles that make laser feel like a gentle caress by comparison.

I got high hopes for the upcoming balance tweak, and any other progress made since even despite that I love this game. But the fact making bankable blocks has such a huge penalty might not even be a problem I have to worry about if my next pass at this doesn't get any better on the danger department.

"Sweet, I made an Iron Bow. Everyone says this oneshots all their problems in the low threat worlds." *nails shot, T1 enemy survives and lights me on fire* "Welp!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 10, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

So im watching the stream and 2 things jumped out at me;

Chainsaw.png and beamaxe.png

Party Alarm posted:

Gravgun was the one to notice.

Beamaxe is the name used by the Matter Manipulator, but its image files are "gravgun".

Chainsaw assets are also currently included in the game so there's probably some obscure schematic to obtain it. It's possible that it wasn't implemented but Moonwalk says he saw someone with it so :iiam:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Weird.

People can mod things in, so it's possible that's how he had the chainsaw. Might have been a rare chest drop too.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Umberger posted:

Chainsaw assets are also currently included in the game so there's probably some obscure schematic to obtain it. It's possible that it wasn't implemented but Moonwalk says he saw someone with it so :iiam:

e: Scratch that, checking through the files it did kinda look like chainsaw.png, though chainsawbig.png looks a bit different.

But it still could have been a weird-looking gun.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 10, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Enzer posted:

Except that if you die a lot, then the pixel presser is a good investment for you, since it pays off if you die more than twice. If you play well and rarely die you will have a decent pixel count, if you die a lot and don't compress, you will lose out, if you die a lot and do compress, you will be way better off than someone who doesn't compress their pixels.

That is not my point. My point is that punishment for dying at all, or at least in this manner, is silly and unnecessary, and in fact runs counter to what the goal of the game seems to be. Why does the punishment for death exist in the first place? There has to be reasons for that; if not, then it shouldn't exist. And "to discourage dying" isn't a great reason, since most of the time people aren't trying to die. It just makes dying worse, but it doesn't make anyone less likely to die. If anything, it makes it more likely as people are less well-equipped because they can't afford better stuff because their money keeps going down.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

That is not my point. My point is that punishment for dying at all, or at least in this manner, is silly and unnecessary, and in fact runs counter to what the goal of the game seems to be. Why does the punishment for death exist in the first place? There has to be reasons for that; if not, then it shouldn't exist. And "to discourage dying" isn't a great reason, since most of the time people aren't trying to die. It just makes dying worse, but it doesn't make anyone less likely to die. If anything, it makes it more likely as people are less well-equipped because they can't afford better stuff because their money keeps going down.

If you're in an area where dying is prohibitively impacting your income, that probably means the area is too difficult for you/your equipment. That's why the penalty exists: so you can't just corpse drag in the high level areas to take advantage of their higher ore counts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Reiley posted:

Inhabited planets or planets with ruins are the most interesting feature about this game and it'd be an absolute travesty to dilute their presence with even more empty hills.

Well, there are so many planets around, that you can have a larger fraction of them be airless mineral-rich dirtballs without negatively impacting the number of inhabited planets you can explore. It might also be worth increasing the density of villages and castles on the inhabitable planets to compensate.

It just means you can't explore/colonise the dirtballs without the the appropriate technology. You can still put little research outposts on them with techs and loots.

Edit: maybe it's because I've been playing MoO2, and that game had a lower ratio of green planets to brown planets.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Umberger posted:

If you're in an area where dying is prohibitively impacting your income, that probably means the area is too difficult for you/your equipment. That's why the penalty exists: so you can't just corpse drag in the high level areas to take advantage of their higher ore counts.

Except you can just as easily use server commands and other stuff to just generate the ore you're after, and bypass the stupid death penalty (at the "cost" of not finding it naturally).

It's silly and arbitrary and just adds extra, unnecessary tedium (which is stupid).

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

It's silly and arbitrary and just adds extra, unnecessary tedium (which is stupid).

Well yes, if you want to cheat and take out all the challenge, that is your choice. Why should the game developers make it with the logic 'Well everybody is going to just cheat and use console commands so why bother putting any challenge whatsoever?'?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

E-Tank posted:

Well yes, if you want to cheat and take out all the challenge, that is your choice. Why should the game developers make it with the logic 'Well everybody is going to just cheat and use console commands so why bother putting any challenge whatsoever?'?

There's already challenge - the combat.

Extra tedium spawned from goofing up the challenge (beyond just travel time getting back to where you were) is unnecessary.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So what's the most people that've gotten on to a server so far? Getting a group of a dozen+ people and starting fresh after a wipe could be interesting.

comaerror posted:

Starbound: Become a space viking today.

Statement: Welcome to the Glitch.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Except you can just as easily use server commands and other stuff to just generate the ore you're after, and bypass the stupid death penalty (at the "cost" of not finding it naturally).

Are you seriously arguing that because people can use cheats to get whatever they want that the devs should balance the actual game against that?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

omeg posted:

Drills were very annoying in Terraria because:
1) They obscured mined tiles and it was super easy to lose track what's mined and what not.

Hope they'll be better here.

Agreed on 1, disagreed on 2.
To me they had the sound of progress.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
There should be a "remove death penalty" button in the options that doesn't actually do anything except make little teardrops rain endlessly from your character's eyes.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Now I can't decide if I'll miss my bubble boost or harmonica more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzIdR5rhz7A

Walking is for losers

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Umberger posted:

If we can bank our pixels what's stopping us from doing that anyway?

edit: or right now for that matter, by just not caring about pixels/keeping the pixel count low

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 10, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

If you don't like the death penalty then just mod it out. I'm only saying that's my best guess as to why he put it in.

If I were making the game would I put the death penalty in? Eh, probably not. I could see why it could be important in a "legit/official" server though. I don't think anyone will get mad at you for playing the game the way you want to. v:shobon:v

To be fair it's a beta, the option exists to give the developers some feedback. Maybe something like including it as a server option slider or maybe when you create a single player character have difficulty sliders for death penalty/Voxel penalty/etc.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Nothing I suppose. But you'll still lose a decent amount of Pixels doing that too (which is why I imagine that penalty/conversion factor exists).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Banking pixels has a cost.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
e: how the hell did that double post

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
We don't have this cheat argument in the Minecraft threads anymore for good reason, let's not have it here unless you have something genuinely interesting and well-thought out to say about it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Extra tedium spawned from goofing up the challenge (beyond just travel time getting back to where you were) is unnecessary.

It's not really a challenge if failure at the challenge has no weight. You're pretty close to advocating the game be in Creative mode by default because losing some of your money and none of your inventory is bullshit.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

It's not a formally competitive game and never will be. Just give the game a soft/medium/hard core mode like Terraria and be done with it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Enzer posted:

Except that if you die a lot, then the pixel presser is a good investment for you, since it pays off if you die more than twice. If you play well and rarely die you will have a decent pixel count, if you die a lot and don't compress, you will lose out, if you die a lot and do compress, you will be way better off than someone who doesn't compress their pixels.

My problem with this reasoning is that if you really care about your pixel count (as in, you're building your way up to something which costs a lot and not just farting around and only looking at it occasionally), when are you ever going to die twice to make that investment worthwhile? Once you're well past the earliest parts of the early game and the starting planet monsters are trivial, that is.

There's always something to spend your money on (thereby getting 100% of its value) in your downtime, in my experience, so the only time you'd have a significant amount of pixels on your person in the first place is if you're saving up to spend again on something big or you just happened to go a long time without a death. And if you are saving up to something big, why would you be going somewhere high-risk rather than fighting somewhere safe? Putting that high of a cost on banking means that the question of spend vs save is going to point to spend 99% of the time, and the most efficient way to afford something costly is still usually going to be to go farm money on a planet where you have nearly no chance of death, unless they also make huge changes to pixel costs and monster pixel drops to make taking a higher risk worthwhile.

I'm not annoyed at the cost of death or anything, that's fine by me, but there's not much point in creating a bank mechanic that's so useless and counterproductive it might as well not exist.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 10, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Saying that you can just cheat to bypass the "silly" parts of the game is a really dumb argument. You can cheat if you want but that's really not a counterpoint to anything.

Roland Jones posted:

I disagree with this, because punishing people for failure only makes it harder for them to stop failing.
But it's not like the damage you do scales directly with your pixels. Sure, they can be used to buy or craft weapons at various points, but this isn't the same as, say, losing max HP on death, or having the game cut down your strength with every failure.
This isn't really so much a punishment for doing poorly as it is a hazard for playing carelessly or out of your league. You should be able to handle your starting world without needing pixel-funded armor and weapons. The first set of armor, and one that'll do well for the start, costs no pixels. Subsequent sets are generally cheap, especially since the price was reduced in the second patch. That should be enough for a few entire worlds right off the start. After that, if you're doing poorly, you've probably overextended your grasp, and aren't equipped to handle the danger. In which case your best bet is to come back later and head to a location you can handle. If you're not playing way out of your level then while you certainly aren't guaranteed to never die for any reason, your deaths should become a lot more manageable.
At that point, pixel banking is a risk VS reward investment. You can take the hit on a number of pixels and store them, or if you're confident enough in your abilities, keep them on you and avoid the penalty. It's a matter of both risk and resource management in the game, and it's not as punitive as you're making it out to be because by the time you get to a point in the game where you will need loads of pixels to get stronger, you'll have the ability to go to weaker worlds if you feel outclassed.
There are a lot of games that send you into a downward spiral by weakening you when you die, but I really don't think the pacing and mechanics in this qualify.

Section Z posted:

Maybe if my starting world isn't made 90% out of animals with projectile streams who take out 1/3 my health if they clip me with a single bit of fire breath this time, I'd feel there was a difference of risk vs reward compared to "poo poo, how am I even going to GET enough pixels to make a 1k bar before I've scrounged up enough material to make death not an issued in the first place on my starter world?"
Well, like you said, the upcoming overhaul will hopefully fix most of these problems. And if it does it will inherently bring more balance to the pixel loss/storage decision as well.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Reiley posted:

It's not really a challenge if failure at the challenge has no weight.

What? So winning a hard game isn't a challenge because failing to win the game doesn't matter? What the gently caress kind of logic are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

So instead of having challenge to get the rare ores, you're saying people will attack and fight things for...What reason exactly? 'Cause if they are going to just cheat to get ores, why bother doing anything? Just cheat to get pixels, cheat to get whatever gear, whatever items you want. You're legit arguing we should default have nothing but a creative tool and there should be no actual fighting or gameplay beyond 'Console in stuff, and build things'.

• Locked thread