Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Umberger posted:

Did they make other fuel sources viable? Uranium was/is worth 4 units of fuel per ore which is pretty bad.
Petroleum (purple liquid) is also unusable and unharvestable at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I never had any trouble finding enough coal to both power my ship and for crafting. That said, I didn't go to different planets terribly often, either...

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Petroleum (purple liquid) is also unusable and unharvestable at the moment.

Is THAT what that is?

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Revol posted:

I never had any trouble finding enough coal to both power my ship and for crafting. That said, I didn't go to different planets terribly often, either...

If you did go to more planets, you'd definitely have more coal. I usually have around 300 units of the stuff at all times. That's more than enough for fuel and torches and still have tons left over.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
With the changes to make jumping cheaper, you need 100 coal every time you want to jump planets. Not TERRIBLE, but I guess it will encourage more spelunking rather than scouring the surfaces of every planet?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Enzer posted:

Is THAT what that is?
Considering that there's apparently a burn property for that, it can only be so.

Also, for some reason carrots grow the best on petrol-covered dirt. :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Duct Tape posted:

- Added grappling hook

YES!

quote:

- You can no longer attack through blocks

NO!!!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Party Alarm posted:

With the changes to make jumping cheaper, you need 100 coal every time you want to jump planets. Not TERRIBLE, but I guess it will encourage more spelunking rather than scouring the surfaces of every planet?

I guess it also depends on if their "More Ore" change makes coal more common.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I haven't seen many monsters block, so I'm not too worried. Besides you can always build a little hut and hit them through the walls.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

I haven't seen many monsters block, so I'm not too worried. Besides you can always build a little hut and hit them through the walls.

WOOOOOOSH???

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

I can't tell if this post is sarcasm or not.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

No, they're talking about placed blocks no longer letting you hit enemies through them.

So no, you couldn't build a little hut and hit them through the walls because you can't hit enemies through blocks

E:Fb like a red headed irish ginger kid. Who's adopted.

Not sure if sarcastic or not, but its the internet, so assume it's real.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

It means you can't seal a monster in a bubble of dirt and stab it with impunity anymore. I wonder if you can still cut out a one-tile hole and stab through that or if the attack just stops entirely..

Comrade Flynn posted:

I can't tell if this post is sarcasm or not.

Turtlicious is a gentle soul.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E-Tank posted:

No, they're talking about placed blocks no longer letting you hit enemies through them.

So no, you couldn't build a little hut and hit them through the walls because you can't hit enemies through blocks

E:Fb like a red headed irish ginger kid. Who's adopted.

Not sure if sarcastic or not, but its the internet, so assume it's real.

Oh :(

Reiley posted:

Turtlicious is a gentle soul.
I'm pretty sure that's what southerners say when they call someone stupid.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Might be able to use spears and a 2 tile high gap, but you'd be open to ranged attacks.

I don't think this will matter much - they've done a lot of balancing to make things less binary.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Umberger posted:

I think that problem's on your end. I haven't experienced any framerate issues.

Lots of people are having framerate issues, because beta.

So I finally stumbled across the Glitch castle with a king in it I've seen several people mention. He greeted me with, "Referential. Hark, a Vagrant!" so it's nice to see that Glitch royalty have good taste in webcomics at least...though since he immediately tried to murder me and also was living completely alone in a castle in the middle of nowhere it's possible he wasn't actually a king but just a crazy robot with a crown.

Anyway, I have the sweet crown now. The universe may be about to burn but Hammertime will go out with style.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

If you wanna try out the grappling hook, the files for it are already in the game. You just need to add a recipe for it:

Create a new file in "Starbound\assets\recipes\starter\plain" called "grapplinghook.recipe" (recipe is the file extension).
Add this to the file
code:
{
  "input" : [
    { "item" : "plantfibre", "count" : 4 },
	{ "item" : "ironbar", "count" : 1 }
  ],
  "output" : {
    "item" : "grapplinghook",
    "count" : 1
  },
  "groups" : [ "plain", "all", "tools" ]
}
And then go to "Starbound\assets" open "player.config" in notepad and find the section that looks like this:
code:
"defaultBlueprints" : {
    "tier1" : [
      { "item" : "copperarmorhead" },
      { "item" : "copperarmorchest" },
      { "item" : "copperarmorpants" },
      { "item" : "darkwoodmaterial" },
      { "item" : "yarnspinner" },
Add
code:
{ "item" : "grapplinghook" },
to that section and bam, now you can craft a grappling hook.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

to that section and bam, now you can craft a grappling hook.

Isn't it basically like the climbing rope? Or does it have more than one use?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

It's got more than one use and you can dual wield them.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Zoe posted:

Anyway, I have the sweet crown now. The universe may be about to burn but Hammertime will go out with style.

How do you think he got the crown?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Umberger posted:

Did they make other fuel sources viable? Uranium was/is worth 4 units of fuel per ore which is pretty bad.

Plutonium is 6 per ore but is only found in asteroids (for what I know) and the rods are completely useless.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

It's either that, or "Bless him/her/you".

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Turtlicious posted:

No, then they say "Bless his/her heart".

Gentle soul is reserved for virgins.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

qnqnx posted:

Plutonium is 6 per ore but is only found in asteroids (for what I know) and the rods are completely useless.

I've found small amounts of it at the core of a small level 30 planet, but with the ore changes maybe it'll be more plentiful. Not that it's useful at all unless they've radically changed its fuel value or given the rods a use.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Zoe posted:

Lots of people are having framerate issues, because beta.

I hadn't seen any other posts mentioning it, wasn't sure how widespread it was. Welp.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
The programmer doing the stream just confirmed directional melee won't be in this update :sigh:

Edit: He's building the code for Steam now though :toot:

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 10, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Desperate Character posted:

The programmer doing the stream just confirmed directional melee won't be in this update :sigh:

The changelog that popped up earlier more or less confirmed that already. The groundwork is there but it is still in development (as can be seen in the stream :v:).

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ablative posted:

No, then they say "Bless his/her heart".

Gentle soul is reserved for virgins.

The best way I heard this summed up was saying "bless you" was a compliment, "bless your heart" is an insult or pitying comment, and "bless your little heart" is the equivalent of "I hope you die screaming in a housefire."

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Enzer posted:

The changelog that popped up earlier more or less confirmed that already. The groundwork is there but it is still in development (as can be seen in the stream :v:).

Which is fine with me. Changing too much at once usually has negative ramifications in a testing environment. This already seems to be a very ambitious patch.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
Tonight's update is currently being compiled and should be uploaded soon.

For exciting compile action, tune in: http://www.twitch.tv/omnipotententity

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

An Unoriginal Name posted:

This music is completely opposite of what is happening onscreen.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Erm, isn't what omni doing unrelated to the upcoming patch?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Grapplejack posted:

This music is completely opposite of what is happening onscreen.

If I ever take up programming this is the music that will be playing while I'm doing it.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Smoremaster posted:

Erm, isn't what omni doing unrelated to the upcoming patch?

He was earlier, but he also mentioned when he had 2 VMs open that it will be time. Also he did a git pull before he started compiling.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Hahahaha, the loving goofy rear end music going on right now.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

The most fun I've had with this game so far is modding it :allears: This is how you make your game easy to mod.

Trying to get the eyes to be able to change color. If I can't, I'll leave them red, but I kinda want to use all the color changers. Gonna make a whole race of bug people with villages and dungeons and everything.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Does anybody know what the 'high cost banking' change is? Do they just mean that whatever the thing that lets you store pixels is is going to be expensive to make/buy?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Tyty posted:

The most fun I've had with this game so far is modding it :allears:

Trying to get the eyes to be able to change color. If I can't, I'll leave them red, but I kinda want to use all the color changers. Gonna make a whole race of bug people with villages and dungeons and everything.

They should live in ant colony like cities deep underground. :D

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

VDay posted:

Does anybody know what the 'high cost banking' change is? Do they just mean that whatever the thing that lets you store pixels is is going to be expensive to make/buy?

From what I've read it's basically going to cost you pixels to bank your pixels, but it will cost less than it would if you lost them in death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

VDay posted:

That's exactly it. Currently it's a 40% net loss to bank, which seems high but is less than two deaths.

e: At least, that's what Tiy was saying pre-patch. Who knows, for real?

• Locked thread