Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

VDay posted:

Does anybody know what the 'high cost banking' change is? Do they just mean that whatever the thing that lets you store pixels is is going to be expensive to make/buy?

40% loss if you use the bank compared to 51% loss if you die only two times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Daeren posted:

The best way I heard this summed up was saying "bless you" was a compliment, "bless your heart" is an insult or pitying comment, and "bless your little heart" is the equivalent of "I hope you die screaming in a housefire."

Southern lessons for y'all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFL2GT1-2g

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Alright, I've got a question for the more .ABC-musically-inclined crowd: I keep seeing all these awesome YouTube videos of arrangements of songs with multiple parts. Before the band starts playing, the player checks their song list and sees "Song - Bass" "Song - Melody" "Song - Harmony" and so on. If I want to make one of these myself, am I correct in thinking I'll have to create multiple .ABC files, one for each part? Or is there a command/line I can put into the file to have it split up within Starbound?

Also: Is playing as a band as simple as everyone whipping out their instruments, putting in the same Band Name, and then clicking "Play" simultaneously/within a small window?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Tyty posted:

The most fun I've had with this game so far is modding it :allears: This is how you make your game easy to mod.

Trying to get the eyes to be able to change color. If I can't, I'll leave them red, but I kinda want to use all the color changers. Gonna make a whole race of bug people with villages and dungeons and everything.

I will be following this very closely. Hoping for great things!

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

XkyRauh posted:

Alright, I've got a question for the more .ABC-musically-inclined crowd: I keep seeing all these awesome YouTube videos of arrangements of songs with multiple parts. Before the band starts playing, the player checks their song list and sees "Song - Bass" "Song - Melody" "Song - Harmony" and so on. If I want to make one of these myself, am I correct in thinking I'll have to create multiple .ABC files, one for each part? Or is there a command/line I can put into the file to have it split up within Starbound?

Also: Is playing as a band as simple as everyone whipping out their instruments, putting in the same Band Name, and then clicking "Play" simultaneously/within a small window?

Yes you need multiple ABC files to do songs with more than one part. When you make a band you don't even necessarily need to all hit play at the same time either, you can drop out and start playing again at any point and it will sync you with the group.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tyty posted:

The most fun I've had with this game so far is modding it :allears: This is how you make your game easy to mod.

Trying to get the eyes to be able to change color. If I can't, I'll leave them red, but I kinda want to use all the color changers. Gonna make a whole race of bug people with villages and dungeons and everything.

That is glorious. First new race I've seen that matches the game's style & quality.

Also - I know there are enemies with hypnotoad eyes, hopefully you can find and re-appropriate that asset!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
This stream has nearly 5,000 people watching it all frothing at the mouth for the patch. :stare:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Enzer posted:

This stream has nearly 5,000 people watching it all frothing at the mouth for the patch. :stare:

The game's more or less unplayable without it, at this point. At the very least, it's not really worth playing while this patch appears to be minutes away from dropping.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Enzer posted:

Starbound [Steam Early Access]: every patch is launch day

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm frothing for the patch right now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Uh

Doesn't steam often take HOURS before an uploaded patch is ready for customers to download?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Seeing as how the patch is tonight and slated for a character wipe, my friend made this quick video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h1w_WYgtpU

It's really the best way to send a Glitch out.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Uh

Doesn't steam often take HOURS before an uploaded patch is ready for customers to download?

No.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh man has anyone found platinum ore in the wild? I've found some in chests, but I just made a gigamanipulator and got 1000 titanium bars from a TL30 planet, and zero plat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evilreaver posted:

Oh man has anyone found platinum ore in the wild? I've found some in chests, but I just made a gigamanipulator and got 1000 titanium bars from a TL30 planet, and zero plat.

At current, Platinum cannot naturally spawn on any planet lower than Threat Level 34.

This is probably fixed with tonight's patch.

Speaking of, Tiy just tweeted this and it's basically how I feel right now:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tiy's twitter posted:

Patch uploading

Finally!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Amazing. :3:

I started up the game without reading anything about it, picked a Floran because I wanted to be a pretty peaceful flower person exploring the galaxy. Turned out they're a race of insane stab bastards and I love it.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Enzer posted:

There are more people watching them compile a Linux build for this game than people actively playing Call of Duty: Ghosts Multiplayer.

pcgaming.txt :pcgaming:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
One thing bugs me about the Florans. If they're carnivores, how can they also be cannibals? :confused:

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 10, 2013

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
During the stream before the beta went up on steam they peaked over 20,000 viewers.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SynthOrange posted:

Amazing. :3:

I started up the game without reading anything about it, picked a Floran because I wanted to be a pretty peaceful flower person exploring the galaxy. Turned out they're a race of insane stab bastards and I love it.

Yeah, if you're looking for pacifists, it's the Hylotl you want. The Florans are downright villainous.

Rocketlex posted:

One thing bugs me about the Florans. If they're carnivores, how can they also be cannibals? :confused:

They can still eat each other. It's just only the weird ones who do it, same as with humans.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

One thing bugs me about the Florans. If they're carnivores, how can they also be cannibals? :v:

They eat plants too, like Oculemons, Toxic Tops, and anything that reminds them of murder, like Diodia (tastes like blood), Tomatoes (red and bursting like human), and Kiwis (fuzzy and squishy like prey).

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, if you're looking for pacifists, it's the Hylotl you want. The Florans are downright villainous.

What race best justifies me murdering everything I see for Pixels?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XboxPants posted:

They eat plants too, like Oculemons, Toxic Tops, and anything that reminds them of murder, like Diodia (tastes like blood), Tomatoes (red and bursting like human), and Kiwis (fuzzy and squishy like prey).

Being a Floran is awesome, because it fits with my internal "This village would be a lot better if it was empty of all life" :black101: logic.

Comrade Flynn posted:

What race best justifies me murdering everything I see for Pixels?

Floran

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT: I also like the implication from their official backstory that whatever species gave the Florans space travel immediately regretted doing so.

Carnivore doesn't necessarily mean that particular species eats only meat, it means that's their primary form of sustenance. Meat could be two thirds of their diet, or it could be all they eat, but ultimately, being a carnivore doesn't necessarily preclude the ability or desire to eat plants.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Liberatore posted:

Carnivore doesn't necessarily mean that particular species eats only meat, it means that's their primary form of sustenance. Meat could be two thirds of their diet, or it could be all they eat, but ultimately, being a carnivore doesn't necessarily preclude the ability or desire to eat plants.

So it's more accurate to call them Omnivores. Basically they're Predators, but more adorable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rynoto posted:

If this is true then I'm just straight up modding in thousands of free coal. Because gently caress that.
Coal is pretty much everywhere though, and apparently soon in even larger quantities. Even with something as meager as a copper pick you can swim through giant deposits. How fast are you guys trying to blitz through this game?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

So it's more accurate to call them Omnivores. Basically they're Predators, but more adorable.

I think in terms of plantlife eating meat is noteworthy enough to call them carnivorous.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SynthOrange posted:

Florans are the best. Make sure to inspect EVERYTHING in dungeons, especially if you find a prison complex. All races have their own set of observational comments.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Well, pacifism evaporates pretty fast when somebody start shooting you on sight.

Also when hitting vases gives you money. No really, one of the comments for some type of vase or other is "These things have made me a more violent person." as a Hylotl.

DelphiAegis posted:

I think carnivores have to eat meat, while omnivores can eat meat. But my cats will totally go eat leaves off the houseplants and stuff.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Florans seem to be pretty much on the level of children. I don't know why, it's just how they always say 'Ssssilly X'.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Uh

No, it's more or less instant as long as the developer or publisher hits "set build live" button.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Smoremaster posted:

Yes you need multiple ABC files to do songs with more than one part. When you make a band you don't even necessarily need to all hit play at the same time either, you can drop out and start playing again at any point and it will sync you with the group.

How do you make a band, exactly? Just join a party?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Found on the wiki...

This game. :allears:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Found on the wiki...

How is it that every aspect of this game is the best. Oh, Chucklyfoosh.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Verranicus posted:

How do you make a band, exactly? Just join a party?

You type in a common band name in the song selection screen.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rocketlex posted:

Found on the wiki...

Holy poo poo :love:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

DelphiAegis posted:

Predators are actually carnivorous. I don't think they've ever been depicted as eating anything but meat, although they typically don't eat what they hunt for sport (dangerous species), which I think they might even consider dishonorable or something.

Florans don't seem to be nearly as selective as this.

Zereth posted:

I think carnivores have to eat meat, while omnivores can eat meat. But my cats will totally go eat leaves off the houseplants and stuff.

Both terms are generally used to refer to behavior or taxonomy, not necessarily what they can or have to eat, at least when talking about animals. Although yeah, cats do have to eat meat.

E-Tank posted:

Florans seem to be pretty much on the level of children. I don't know why, it's just how they always say 'Ssssilly X'.

They remind me of Teladi in the X series.

Profitsss

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 10, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Oh god, Omni is testing the new patch on steam and his account name got flashed for a moment. Cue every jackass with a witty name inviting him to be their friend. :allears:

Edit:

He is just sitting there at the Notifications screen, refreshing it, hitting ignore, refreshing it, hitting ignore..

---

I really hope someone is recording this.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Looks like someone found out Omni's name on steam and a ton of people are spamming him with friend invites.

and now he is ignoring every invite on stream hahaha

• Locked thread