Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, they're basic bread and butter until you build up usable 2* characters. Though once you start getting 2*s with all abilities, feel free to start using them. Plus there's always 1* tournaments every few weeks you'd want to keep 1* characters for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Venom's 5AP Devour (eat entire team if there's 8 web tiles): does it replace the "eat one guy if there's 5 web tiles" or add to it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's in addition to. So if there's 5 web tiles it'll eat one guy, if there's 8 he'll eat them all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adds to it. If you havent got a blue Spidey, keep your Venom snare at 4, because the cost nearly doubles at 5.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

quote:

Venom's 5AP Devour (eat entire team if there's 8 web tiles): does it replace the "eat one guy if there's 5 web tiles" or add to it?

It adds to it. Otherwise we'd advocate 4/4 instead of 5/4.

I just looked closer at the Dark Avengers tournament and that's a loving GREAT DEAL. Brackets of 200 where 2 through 10 get at least a Spidey Yellow? You don't need an UberRag to get that high.

Also, a reminder that Bullseye III and Devil Dinosaur missions in The Hunt: Savage each have 50 Hero Points as a reward. Waste not, want not.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Ah, the joys of saying "gently caress it, why not?" and trying a guy with level 80-100 Wolverine/Captain America/Thor on for size... only to have two of his characters drop dead instantly due to them being KOed in an immediate previous match. :getin:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I don't really want to run Venom, but there's a Dark Avengers event going on. Is it worth it to use the Venom Covers I have lying around to recruit him and try to get a higher place in the event (my only DA is a min level Ragnarok)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's a decent 1* tank, and his black move hits like a truck if he's levelled. His stun is really cheap at level 4, or take it to level 5, double the cost and it stuns the whole team for 1 round. My preference is for 5/4 though, so he can save and spam purple stuns to eat people in one go, since Devour instantly KOs an enemy if there's 5 webs, or the entire enemy team if 8.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Stickman posted:

See, that's what I thought, but I've been in events with folks thousands of points above me and still only received 10-20 points per mission. And had my repeatable mission go dry at rank 500! I originally thought that the repeatable missions reset over time, but it looks like its purely rubber-banding, and literally impossible to place highly without doing the IW missions.

Other times, though, I've been close to top ranked and received ~500 points per mission, so who knows?

Yeah I'm having the same issue too. I think points for the sub-events depend on your position on the main.

For the last Alaska, I started 12 hours late and did the repeatables throughout. When I was at #30 and over a thousand points away from #1 on the main board, the repeatables were worth 200-300 points. This was while I was in the top 300 of the sub-board.

For Florida, I'm trying the fight one early then wait method. At #1000 on the sub-board (#1 was 7000 when I started, now it's 130000) and at the top 3 on the main board (we're all about 100 points away each other), each sub-mission is worth 10-30 points. The highest repeatable is worth 100. There is no way I'll be able to even get half of what the top people are getting.

I think the repeatable missions do reset, but it takes a very long time to do so and the points it's worth are depend on the rubber banding so it's harder to grind them.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I believe the rubberbanding bases itself largely on your position in the main event. I got top 10 on Alaska earlier today, then did the big missions in Florida and Savage just as diligently and I'm around #450-500 in each. That's with me at #13 in my main bracket at #21944, but #1 is only at #22300. The top of the bracket is really closely packed, I was #2 earlier today, lots of volatility.

So I'll get up in the morning and have Alaska open again, I'll be like #150th in the main bracket and the Last of 'Em mission will be worth some obscene amount; I'll clear it a couple of times and be right back to top 5.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
I finished ~30 in the last event with playing only about ten matches total, just depends on when you get in. I think a lot of the people jumping in at the last minute are currently running things up. I think the best thing is to just jump in for a game during main playing times that are not at the start or end of an even, that way you maximize the casual players in your bracket that will dismiss your wins against them.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, and the points you get seem to be based on the points in your bracket as well. There's less than 2k points separating me from #1 in my bracket, even though I'm at #91, so I'm gettin' very little from my sub-events as a result.

Contrast this to this morning, when I was in #111 in the main bracket but getting 400 points from the easiest Alaska repeatable and 1.2k from the hardest (which got glitched into three level 60 HAMMER dudes).

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Florida was really fun to fight through! The only new mission I have is Stragglers. Is it worth it to do that, or am I basically done with the non-repeatables.

Edit: Looks like I am. Fun event :)

Good loot and an interesting ministory. Are the other events like this too?

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 10, 2013

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, and the points you get seem to be based on the points in your bracket as well. There's less than 2k points separating me from #1 in my bracket, even though I'm at #91, so I'm gettin' very little from my sub-events as a result.

Contrast this to this morning, when I was in #111 in the main bracket but getting 400 points from the easiest Alaska repeatable and 1.2k from the hardest (which got glitched into three level 60 HAMMER dudes).

I was having one with Yolanda that if I took her out before the minions set up an attack, they would just sit there the entire match. It was pretty great.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Started playing the game recently, and getting my team up to snuff is slow going. Mostly what happens is that I fight, win, but then my characters lost so much HP that it'll take about an hour for them to get back to full, so I can't make much progress, and my other heroes are too low-level to get anything done. Maybe I should stop hoarding my health packs?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Health packs regenerate up to 5. Use them.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Fred is on posted:

Started playing the game recently, and getting my team up to snuff is slow going. Mostly what happens is that I fight, win, but then my characters lost so much HP that it'll take about an hour for them to get back to full, so I can't make much progress, and my other heroes are too low-level to get anything done. Maybe I should stop hoarding my health packs?

I had the same issue as you in the beginning.

Health packs regenerate every 15 mins. Natural regen can take 45, so use health packs.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

Health packs regenerate every 15 mins.

They do?! Did they actually mention this ingame and I missed it like an idiot? I've been hoarding my packs since I couldn't see any more in the rewards.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Amazing, thanks for the pointer. Maybe this could also be added to the OP?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

Florida was really fun to fight through! The only new mission I have is Stragglers. Is it worth it to do that, or am I basically done with the non-repeatables.

Edit: Looks like I am. Fun event :)

Good loot and an interesting ministory. Are the other events like this too?

Yep there have been a few events like this before. The sample size is too small to be sure, but it seems like they are bi weekly.

Anyways there is the captain America red iso event. That is easier than this event. And there have been 2 heroic modes, which are the prologue missions but harder and different rewards. They are slightly harder than this event.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, did they reduce the regen time from 30 mins to 15 mins recently?!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

SynthOrange posted:

Wait, did they reduce the regen time from 30 mins to 15 mins recently?!

Nope, still 35 minute recharge.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay cool then. Yeah, it'll take you 2-3 hours to get all 5 regenerating health packs back. You can earn more, but they dont regenerate til you have less than 5.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Yep there have been a few events like this before. The sample size is too small to be sure, but it seems like they are bi weekly.

Anyways there is the captain America red iso event. That is easier than this event. And there have been 2 heroic modes, which are the prologue missions but harder and different rewards. They are slightly harder than this event.

Yeah I lucked out by having modern lvl 6 Hawkeye for the Florida event (with the almighty dodge passive). I just tried Savage Land and it's much tougher without the OP criticals.

And I mean OP. It felt as if I was playing regular Puzzle Quest with the super combos that wipe guys out in a couple of turns.

Also oops about the health pack recharge time. I didn't time it correctly, so its definitely 35 mins.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hawkeye and lab environments mean its a hilarious time with 7000 damage criticals. Unless the drat board doesnt give me any. :argh:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

SynthOrange posted:

Hawkeye and lab environments mean its a hilarious time with 7000 damage criticals. Unless the drat board doesnt give me any. :argh:

Create some with Bullseye :smugdog:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god that is a really good idea in a lab with a boosted Hawkguy. The only hurdle is the 16 black cost to get it going.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Jesus, Playing the S.H.I.E.L.D. Event and through some kind of AP magic RAGNAROK unleashed Godlike Power 3 times in a row, then the Thunderclap 2 times, then Godlike power 2 more times to kill my team. This loving game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yep, Ragnarok is a fucker. If he gets up to that sort of speed you're usually doomed.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
:psyduck: I'm at 10 unpopped crit tiles on this stage now. How.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
Yelena Belova isn't actually threatening herself, but seriously gently caress every single Yelena Belova level. It's always her and two minions with incredibly potent abilities that are so cheap that their automatic AP generation allows them to fire one off every single turn. Then the rewards are always like Hero Points, Hero Points, Yellow Thor, (Red Hawkeye Classic/50 Iso/an actual heap of refuse), and you'll get the trash reward when you finally beat the level and the 20 Iso booby prize every single time you replay it.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Clawed my way to 250 points with lvl 6 Moonstone & lvl 1 Yelena for the Dark Avenger Token.

Rolled red Ragnorak. :toot:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I kept getting upset because I was only getting Thors or Hawkeyes from my Hunt Heroic tokens, both of whom I maxed out a long time ago. Got 8000 overall points, and I got a blue Spidey, putting me at 4 blue. Now I only have to win one blue spidey from these two upcoming tournaments. gently caress yeah.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 10, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What is the mechanic behind who Hawkeye swaps into his place? Black Widow keeps taking the punches for him instead of my tank, and Black Widow doesn't like to be punched.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Bruceski posted:

What is the mechanic behind who Hawkeye swaps into his place? Black Widow keeps taking the punches for him instead of my tank, and Black Widow doesn't like to be punched.

It's a circle where he is placed in the team.

Middle goes behind left. Left goes behind Right. Right goes behind Middle.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Person to the left of Hawkeye on the lineup I think. When I was doing the repeatable with the compulsory Invisible Woman, if Hawkeye was on the left during lineup, the character on the right would take the hit. If Hawkeye was on the right side during lineup, Invisible Woman would get hit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

IAmUnaware posted:

Yelena Belova isn't actually threatening herself, but seriously gently caress every single Yelena Belova level. It's always her and two minions with incredibly potent abilities that are so cheap that their automatic AP generation allows them to fire one off every single turn.
It's not so much that her minions have incredibly potent abilities, but it's that her minions almost always share ability colours so they're doubling up on AP generation while her main colours are purple/black/blue and I think Grenadiers/Pyros are the only minions without a purple or blue ability, so she's constantly trying to match those colours and because her own purple ability is so expensive it goes straight into more Pistol/Suppressing Shot/Silent Strike tiles.

It's mostly because she's so poo poo that her minions shine. Venom and Ragnarok will actively steal minion AP to charge their own abilities, while Daken and Bullseye will actively punish you with their abilities for matching to remove minion tiles, so those guys are all acting more visibly as a threat.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Purple -- This is the odd one. If you could choose both tiles to swap it would definitely be one to take to 5. Since the special tile picked is random though it makes things a lot more chaotic, particularly if playing with Draken (since the second AP adds his attack tiles to the mix). For fighting goons I like it at 1-2 points since the painful abilities are purple or green. A third would be nice for greens as well but ideally you want to set it up so the warped tile gets shattered and there's usually going to be both purple and green on the board. For fighting players? :shrug: Bring another guy with a better purple ability.

I just found out from trying that the description isn't correct. It won't grab your own special tiles, so it's a decent damage ability for 8 purple and not blocked by your own daken or bullseye.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Oh my god the passive notifications in the BiG tournament they're burned into my retinas it's taking 15 minutes to finish a fight ugghhhhuuu :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Fritzler posted:

I kept getting upset because I was only getting Thors or Hawkeyes from my Hunt Heroic tokens, both of whom I maxed out a long time ago. Got 8000 overall points, and I got a blue Spidey, putting me at 4 blue. Now I only have to win one blue spidey from these two upcoming tournaments. gently caress yeah.

This, but without the Spidey cover. gently caress Thor covers, seriously.