Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

So does anyone know how to unlock Silver Armor now? It's not showing up on my anvil anywhere, and I've already crafted a full copper set and found plenty of silver ore and bars.

Did they move it up a tier for some reason?

e: also, funny thing, the copper set (except the helm) is flat-out worse than starter clothing.

Yeah, the armor takes off at the copper racial armor. As for silver, update your map so it can go to the Beta quadrant. You'll get silver armor unlocked as well as the silver racial armor. You no longer need copper armor to make silver armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Holy poo poo they weren't kidding about more ore being generated. About a half hour of regular spelunking got me 50 gold bars, 170 silver, 200 iron, and so, so much copper.

Also, I guess I won't have to worry about fuel for a good long while.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
How do you advance from T2?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Silver is T2 now. Crafted weapons are bugged and do way too much damage. Stick with dropped weapons if you don't want to spoil things.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've seen videos of people moving about in space. Is this a special world type or did they just move far enough above a planet's surface to get above the atmosphere? Is there anything special or different to be found up there?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Slashrat posted:

I've seen videos of people moving about in space. Is this a special world type or did they just move far enough above a planet's surface to get above the atmosphere? Is there anything special or different to be found up there?

There are asteroids with special ores.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

How do you advance from T2?

If you mean advance past T2, there should be robot parts on your super-anvil's crafting list. Build the robot.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

If you mean advance past T2, there should be robot parts on your super-anvil's crafting list. Build the robot.

Duh, I should probably try crafting everything available before asking dumb questions. I just assumed it was for a pet.

e: Refinery owns with the massive ore spawns you get now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Lunimeow posted:

So I found what seemed to be a giant alien ship that was powered by crystals and it was inhabited by purple slow moving robots that didn't look like glitch, inside i found some kind of large generator object and i used it and it caused me to explode into gooey purple blocks of mush that went flying everywhere and stuck to the walls...

E: I went back to check it out, the generator is now closed and the purple blocks that used to be me are still there...

Grab those blocks. They're the only source (that I know of) for Matter Blocks.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I found a society of ape men and stole a hamburger from their fridge.

This game is pretty okay.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

Rynoto posted:

Grab those blocks. They're the only source (that I know of) for Matter Blocks.

I am wearing armor made out of myself... I love this game.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Vib Rib posted:

Coal is pretty much everywhere though, and apparently soon in even larger quantities. Even with something as meager as a copper pick you can swim through giant deposits. How fast are you guys trying to blitz through this game?

Yeah I can understand complaining about like plat being hard to find... But coal? That shits everywhere, even on the surface.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I find mining coal to be tedious. I am a very busy space wizard monkey, I haven't even fully furnished my ship yet!

Starter world had a Glitch castle. I killed all the guards, left the servants, and the final Knight dropped a really badass hammer that's probably going to tear the ufo in half in just a few swings as soon as I get the iron for it.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Delaio posted:

Holy poo poo they weren't kidding about more ore being generated. About a half hour of regular spelunking got me 50 gold bars, 170 silver, 200 iron, and so, so much copper.

Also, I guess I won't have to worry about fuel for a good long while.

Well, this explains my first five minutes in a new character.

Beam to planet, find archeological site right to the left, end swimming in gold and silver ore, plus all the loot from crates. Including two harmonicas.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Vanderdeath posted:

That's odd because it immediately crashes as soon as I attempt to do anything with a modded Matter Manipulator.

I had the same problem when I had the dig radius set to 20x20 blocks. I reduced it to 10x10 and now the game no longer crashes upon its use.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I just got this game, and it looks pretty cool, but oh dear god I desperately need the matter manipulator to stop being such a huge piece of poo poo when it comes to resource extraction. Everything takes loving forever! What's the absolute quickest way I can bootstrap myself up to like an iron pick and axe?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

illrepute posted:

I just got this game, and it looks pretty cool, but oh dear god I desperately need the matter manipulator to stop being such a huge piece of poo poo when it comes to resource extraction. Everything takes loving forever! What's the absolute quickest way I can bootstrap myself up to like an iron pick and axe?

You can bootstrap to a stone pickaxe pretty much immediately.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

illrepute posted:

Mine wood, mine cobblestone, build crafting station, create stone pick/axe. All of this should be doable in under 5 minutes if your starter planet has wood.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So it seems that crafted weapons and some item drops are completely hosed. I just raided a Gamma sector Floran dungeon and got a bunch of 60 dps weapons. This two hits mobs on the surface.

Also most NPCs seem to have 25 health.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
So right now every planet in the Alpha Sector is labeled as "Threat 1"? So what's the point of even having a Threat level indictator if every planet has the same threat?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

TheKeeper posted:

I had the same problem when I had the dig radius set to 20x20 blocks. I reduced it to 10x10 and now the game no longer crashes upon its use.

Yeah, I unintentionally modded my manipulator to be 16x16 (wanted 4x4) and it crashed my game when I used it. I eventually settled on 5x5 and that works fine.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Attention Horse posted:

So right now every planet in the Alpha Sector is labeled as "Threat 1"? So what's the point of even having a Threat level indictator if every planet has the same threat?

Well it seems like it's obviously just a holdover from before the patch, but eventually it'll be nice because you'll be able to immediately tell what tier you're in rather than having to remember the greek alphabet when deciding between going to a tier 6 or 7 planet.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Attention Horse posted:

There were 100 levels, it was dropped to 10 because seriously how varied would say a level 17 world be from an 18? so he changed it to 1 - 10 with wider variation for each level.

My first 2 Beta sector worlds were a cakewalk, the third I had gatling doom birds :stare:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

And guess it is too wide now. How about 50 levels instead?

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Hmm, I think there's something wonky with inventory and moving items. I had a full inventory, and shift-clicked on some iron ore and iron bars in a smelter to move them to my inventory, and the bars disappeared. There were already stacks of both in my inventory. The ore might have made it, but the ~100 iron bars didn't. Not in the hot-bar either, just gone.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

qnqnx posted:

And guess it is too wide now. How about 50 levels instead?

Personally, I think level scaling is kind of a lovely mechanic in general. It might be interesting if they got rid of the universe being separated into sectors in general and had threat level indicate how hostile or hospitable a planet is. For example, at low levels you might have grassland or forest planets where the environment is rather mild and most monsters are docile, and at high levels you might have worlds where there's no oxygen and literally everything wants to kill you. This way there'd be more of a sense of progression and the increasing difficulty would be from something other than the enemies' increasing stats.

Then again, that'd probably lead to a bunch of other problems and be even harder to balance.
Besides, there's a bunch of biomes we haven't seen yet, so for all we know it could already be something like this. v:v:v

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I found a moon biome. Hopefully it is awesome.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not sure I like the lack of variety within a sector. It was an issue people brought up prior to the patch and it may have come to fruition. There are more possible attacks from ground enemies, from what I'm seeing, but they're all about equally difficult within a tier. Getting better equipment just doesn't feel as good. There isn't a constant sense of moving up in the world. When you move up a tier, you get new stuff and it all cancels out in a way that makes it feel exactly the same as the last tier.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think something that would help a lot would be armor with special effects. Even if your tier2 armor doesn't protect you from any more damage in Beta sector than your tier1 armor did in Alpha sector, if your armor had cool bonuses to it, it'd feel like a step up.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe when they get around to better balancing damage values (they already admitted the numbers are way off right now and they're going to get to work on tweaking them) things will feel a little better, but I think the system as it is has a pretty fundamental flaw in how little variety there is in difficulty from world to world. Completely homogenizing difficulty levels between planets within a sector was a very bad decision, and I feel like there must be a middle ground between how it was previous and the new change. I hope they're able to find that, because how it is now is an extreme step taken way further than they had to go in the opposite direction of how it was.

Well, they already have easy/normal/difficult monsters, right? They should just split up the planets into easy/medium/hard, then, with monster spawns weighted towards that difficulty tier.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

xPanda posted:

Hmm, I think there's something wonky with inventory and moving items. I had a full inventory, and shift-clicked on some iron ore and iron bars in a smelter to move them to my inventory, and the bars disappeared. There were already stacks of both in my inventory. The ore might have made it, but the ~100 iron bars didn't. Not in the hot-bar either, just gone.

Yeah, doing something just like what you described basically deletes items. It happened to me a bunch as well. I just started manually dragging and dropping everything because I was losing so much poo poo.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lunimeow posted:

So I found what seemed to be a giant alien ship that was powered by crystals and it was inhabited by purple slow moving robots that didn't look like glitch, inside i found some kind of large generator object and i used it and it caused me to explode into gooey purple blocks of mush that went flying everywhere and stuck to the walls...

E: I went back to check it out, the generator is now closed and the purple blocks that used to be me are still there...

I wondered what they are for a while, so I started checking their dialog closer, and it turns out their Avian robots or cyborgs or something! They yell at you for being a heretic to Kluex, but they also say poo poo about not being able to control themselves and you should run before you get hurt. Don't know what the gently caress is going on there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lemon King posted:

Ohgod, starting areas can be scary now with big creatures.

I one-shot one with an iron bow and it dropped a weapon with 9 or 10 dps. I think randomly generated weapons need to be looked at again.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

XboxPants posted:

I wondered what they are for a while, so I started checking their dialog closer, and it turns out their Avian robots or cyborgs or something! They yell at you for being a heretic to Kluex, but they also say poo poo about not being able to control themselves and you should run before you get hurt. Don't know what the gently caress is going on there.

That would explain why they were droning things like "unbeliever" at me. I initially thought they were weird variant Glitch, but none of the context or aesthetics made sense for that, then I thought they might have been war or security robots left behind by some theocratic civilization. I guess I was kinda right. Would also explain the open-topped pyramids - the early Avian scouts and explorers were stargazers to the core, and they might have had telescopes or similar equipment set up there before they packed up and left (their death robots behind to slaughter the locals). Alternatively, those facilities could have been left behind by starfaring missionaries of Kluex, though the purpose of all that scientific equivalent is a bit of a mystery in that case. Maybe the "heretics" in question were the original facility inhabitants, and the robots were sent to wipe them out, or their own security robots were repurposed and used in a religious pogrom against them. Hell, the facility itself could simply be some horrible dystopian cyberslavery thing, with heretics being brainwashed and roboticized to serve as obedient shock troopers for the high priests.

Speculation is fun :buddy: Also, man, the Avian society is messed up. I don't feel nearly as bad as I thought I would for breaking into their guarded facilities and stealing all their Aztech parakeet decorations.

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters
Couldn't find much iron on my starter planet so I went travelling and found this:

X -45873567 Y -10151196

Alpha Zeta Mon 26 I b

It's a level 1 planet with normal and plant fibre trees. To the far left is a Floran dungeon, underneath that is a lab and to the left of that is 3 or 4 different underground biomes (one was made of soft brick and had a bunch of tiny houses about) with a ton of ore (explored most? of it and found 700 copper, 650 coal, 600 silver, 500 gold, 400 iron + a horse head, a wedding dress, 3000~ pixels, and a lot of decorative stuff).

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Zereth posted:

I one-shot one with an iron bow and it dropped a weapon with 9 or 10 dps. I think randomly generated weapons need to be looked at again.

That's got nothing on my 83 dps, 50 damage crafted sword. I think something went wrong this patch.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Azzents posted:

That's got nothing on my 83 dps, 50 damage crafted sword. I think something went wrong this patch.

The system 2 crafted weapons do 5000+ dps and one shot the system 2 boss

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Zereth posted:

Random drops from NPC guards seem fine, at least from sector alpha. Every single one of them was dropping 80-120 dps items, which is pretty much in line with (but slightly better than) the craftables from that tier.

Early guns are also kinda hosed, too, since everything TL1 quartermasters sell caps out at about 4 damage per shot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Has anybody found a Teir 2 airship?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

God, I hope there's more coal on the neighbouring planet to my starter to leave the system.
I only found 57 on a full lap of my starter.
This wood change is pretty awful.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Main thing I dislike about the changes to threat level is that I feel like there's less reason to explore the early sectors, rather than rush ahead as fast as possible. As it was before, I felt like I needed to work my way up through each sector and explore planets in that sector to find materials.

This might be because of how good crafted weapons were. Something that makes hunting for dungeons/settlements more important even early on might be important. Might also be because without wood fuel it takes a bit longer to get to the point where I want to burn coal on planet hopping, since spelunking causes me to burn through tons of torches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I've been playing this and loving every second.

Can someone just clarify something about the universe generation. I think I have it figured out.

Everything is totally random, from starting point and all worlds within a sector. However, if someone uses coordinates provided by somebody else, it will generate the exact same world but in your random universe?

• Locked thread