Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It pisses off the fans, maybe that counts? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty much. People going 'Behead those who insult the prophet Video Games' never gets old. :allears:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
While not "behead those responsible" I kinda get the annoyance. If you're really into your hobby having an awards show take the piss out of it might get annoying.

But hey, i've not watched it as i can't right now, its probably not even that bad.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

dogstile posted:

But hey, i've not watched it as i can't right now, its probably not even that bad.

I mean, it's not bad in that it's actually really funny if you're not a fully invested sperg. But Geoff Keighley is a notorious shill who takes himself very seriously and is clearly not amused; the "straight man" act doesn't apply here

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's not taking the piss out of video games, it's one of the hosts taking the piss out of the video game "journalism" industry. Including the awards show he is on and the other people who are at it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh right, the "journalism" industry needs no defending. It just steals poo poo from eachother anyway. Good on the guy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I should hope that if Geoff was just a straight man, the script would have been more than him saying "Yeah, uh huh, yeah" while McHale is basically swirling his head in the toilet and screaming NERD.

Also, you can briefly see the prompter during McHale's Ubisoft presentation and you can clearly see that he's going off-script because his mind cannot loving handle what is going on in front of him.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Norm McDonald is a national treasure. Joel McHale is getting there though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
People really need to stop taking the piss it's really gross!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Joel has pretty much done this every time he's a guest on something that isn't a talk show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBIy2OpvjoA

This is from the early Soup years, and while I love Joel I'm amazed people don't expect this from him.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
He's like a retarded Martin Sargent.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

Glagha posted:

He is. He stars in Community, a comedy show. It's also pretty good. Also he might be really jaded, or just written to act that way.

A bit late, but listen to him on stern if you want to hear the 'real' him. He's kind of someone who doesn't like primadonnas but otherwise is a really enthusiastic genuine guy.

He's doing a modified jeff winger here.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Splicer posted:

It's not taking the piss out of video games, it's one of the hosts taking the piss out of the video game "journalism" industry. Including the awards show he is on and the other people who are at it.

It's an important distinction, and one companies have got wrong before. Who was it who hired a so-called edgy comedian who's entire bit was to insult the audience? Some time last year... was it at E3?

And then Microsoft UK hired a YouTube creeper to do their Xbone launch, and wondered why people thought it came off a bit misogynistic.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Or when Valve hires Tobi to be a commentator on the Dota 2 International who proceeded to spout racist poo poo during live matches. Or when they hired "pro" Dota players to be hosts and commentators who proceeded to make sexist jokes at the real trained journalist.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I feel like the difference here is that Joel McHale is a legitimate comedian and actor, while anybody who is a "pro Dota player" is probably an idiot.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Which brings us back to griefing people.

Hiring a handsome, charismatic comedian to emcee and entertain? The only person he griefs are his co-hosts.

Hiring neckbeards as emcees and hosts? It is basically griefing everyone involved. Which is a shame because pro Dota can be so goddamn entertaining.

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 10, 2013

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

jerichojx posted:

Which brings us back to griefing people.

Hiring a handsome, charismatic comedian to emcee and entertain? The only person he griefs are his co-hosts.

Hiring neckbeards as emcees and hosts? It is basically griefing everyone involved. Which is a shame because pro Dota can be so goddamn entertaining.

I never got watching other nerds play video games. Do you have to be bad at a video game to enjoy watching it?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

neonbregna posted:

I never got watching other nerds play video games. Do you have to be bad at a video game to enjoy watching it?

You need to watch the right nerd play video games. A funny one, or an insightful one with interesting things to say. Which is to say, almost none of them.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

neonbregna posted:

Aren't you doing that just by being in this thread, or is reading about/watching nerds grief other nerds different somehow?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Aren't you doing that just by being in this thread, or is reading about/watching nerds grief other nerds different somehow?

I can do this at work.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
EVE Online remains an endlessly-fertile ground for griefing. Why, if you annoy someone enough (by bumping into their mining barge until it drifts out of range of the asteroid they're trying to mine) they might place a huge bounty on your character's head.

And then they might make a mistake in doing so.

He even tried asking to have it back afterwards :allears:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

EVE Online remains an endlessly-fertile ground for griefing. Why, if you annoy someone enough (by bumping into their mining barge until it drifts out of range of the asteroid they're trying to mine) they might place a huge bounty on your character's head.

And then they might make a mistake in doing so.

He even tried asking to have it back afterwards :allears:

Looks like minerbumping.com already got wind of it:

"For the next decade, Hank will be a licensed miner. However, his license could be revoked if he fails to abide by the Code. Let's hope that never happens."

The 12/10/13 2:13p comment to the blog post is somewhat entertaining, too.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

MinistryofLard posted:

I feel like the difference here is that Joel McHale is a legitimate comedian and actor, while anybody who is a "pro Dota player" is probably an idiot.

Yeah, surely he'd never make a lovely offensive joke.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Trigger warning: Trigger warnings.

That website posted:

I can stomach that, even laugh at it. Less than five minutes into the program, however, co-host Joel McHale jokingly put the rumors to rest that Wario had “undergone sex reassignment surgery.”

Some context would have been nice for this.

That website posted:

It violates the comedic wisdom that one should punch up rather than punch down.

I'm no comedy expert but this seems a little bit wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It was a throwaway line at the top of some segment or other. (Not a comment on whether that's cool or not mind.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 10, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No, comedy works by punching up at people. Punching down is mocking literally retarded people, punching up is insulting people who self diagnose with aspergers.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Captain Capacitor posted:

Trigger warning: Trigger warnings.

Some context would have been nice for this.

I'm no comedy expert but this seems a little bit wrong.

Punching up is making fun of the wealthy gent who dropped his brand new smart-phone because he tripped over a homeless guy sitting against the store.

Punching down is making fun of the homeless guy.

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Maltose posted:

No, comedy works by punching up at people. Punching down is mocking literally retarded people, punching up is insulting people who self diagnose with aspergers.

I don't think its appropriate to call transgendered people literal retards.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

I guess it's good that nobody did, then.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

Neither do I, it's cool we agree.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Thanks everyone. I somehow misread "punching down" as in "taking someone down a notch". I feel a bit silly now.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Opinion Haver posted:

Yeah, surely he'd never make a lovely offensive joke.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Har. :can:

Bringing sites with "feelings" and "trigger warnings" into the griefing thread isn't the best of ideas. Unless it's related to a sicknasty :master::iceburn: on some CoD nerds raging so hard they have an aneurysm over the mic chat.

In a possibly related crosspost note, the survivor website was an elaborate hoax, a prank for the enjoyment of one.

It was kind of a faux-ARG, so maybe it might count? V:shobon:V

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mistle posted:

It was kind of a faux-ARG, so maybe it might count? V:shobon:V

Yeah. That's been done before on our very own forums.
Sure as gently caress griefed me at the time as I was kinda into it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
It's that time of year again so let's all get into the holiday cheer with a fellow named JIRX and his videos.

First on the list is some stellar blocking & team flashing/baiting etc.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jerichojx posted:

Or when Valve hires Tobi to be a commentator on the Dota 2 International who proceeded to spout racist poo poo during live matches. Or when they hired "pro" Dota players to be hosts and commentators who proceeded to make sexist jokes at the real trained journalist.

Got a link to this story? I'd not heard it yet.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Frostwerks posted:

Got a link to this story? I'd not heard it yet.

I thought the racist stuff was said in a game he played in his free time, not during an actual The International broadcast. Think there was some sexist stuff said though. I haven't really kept up with Dota stuff in months though.

Ancorehraq sis
Sep 13, 2004
Could we skip the neckbeard social justice poo poo, please? Plenty other places for it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, dumb nerd shut ins treating females and minorities as people.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Tobi is a terrible commentator so I don't know why Valve would hire him, being racist is like a cherry on top of their bad decision there.

Ancorehraq sis posted:

Plenty other places for it.
Plenty of other places for your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
This years The International was a really good year for Asian Dota.

Two teams in particular stood out. Malaysian team Orange Neolution and TongFu.

I can't remember with certainty if it was Tobi but one of the commentators basically said that he should be forgiven for not knowing their names and being able to tell them because all Chinese people look alike.

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 14, 2013

• Locked thread