Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

I beamed into my starter planet and got assfucked by a flock of flying birds who spammed me with fireballs that 2 shotted me. This is a good patch

quote:

If you choose to take part during stage 1 you should expect bugs, lots of balance changes, you shouldn’t get too attached to your character or universe as we may make changes that require you to start from scratch. You should expect the game to be broken at points as we make sweeping changes.

There's not really much more to say. Maybe those of you mad about the fact that enemies are too hard right now should wait until phase two?

You should go into this expecting poo poo to be broken because this isn't an Activision promotional "beta" that's just the finished game but hey we got another microtransaction out of you to play it two weeks early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

I beamed into my starter planet and got assfucked by a flock of flying birds who spammed me with fireballs that 2 shotted me. This is a good patch

loving seagulls making GBS threads all over the place.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Birds are absolute hellfuckers right now and by far the most threatening enemies on any planet. It's not even the flamethrower-y spam abilities, it's the fact that fireball and other projectile type bird moves seem to be way faster, and they're more aggressive in general. Plus the corpse damage thing when you do kill them.

To everyone who is looting trash which does less than 50 damage per hit: Find an NPC town asap. Kill a guard or two. Reap the spoils and one-shot everything in sector alpha. Or build iron weapons I guess.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
30 minutes into a game, I found an Energy Dash blueprint lying in a chest. Today is a good day.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
In Delta Sector I just found a Tentacle planet with crazy background music. Were these already in the game? It rocks.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

30 minutes into a game, I found an Energy Dash blueprint lying in a chest. Today is a good day.

Please tell me your co-ordinates if you're on an Alpha planet. I feel naked without my dash and keep trying to do it out of reflex.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

sword_man.gif posted:

There's not really much more to say. Maybe those of you mad about the fact that enemies are too hard right now should wait until phase two?

You should go into this expecting poo poo to be broken because this isn't an Activision promotional "beta" that's just the finished game but hey we got another microtransaction out of you to play it two weeks early.

I'm not mad at all :confused: I just thought it was funny that birds took a flaming poo poo on my head 15 seconds into the game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Please tell me your co-ordinates if you're on an Alpha planet. I feel naked without my dash and keep trying to do it out of reflex.

I found one in alpha at X-95040570 y82670123. The system should be Alpha Mu Ara 47 and it's on a forest planet, Alpha Mu Ara 47 III.

It's a pretty decent hike to the right of spawn and it'll be in a surface cave on a hillside - it's easily close enough to the surface to be visible without needing to put torches everywhere but you might walk past it if you're not paying attention. If you reach an Apex city, you've gone too far.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm not mad at all :confused: I just thought it was funny that birds took a flaming poo poo on my head 15 seconds into the game.

Some people pretty obviously are and you were the most recent quote, is all.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Question: why would I play this game when I already have Terraria? I mean in what ways does it expand or improve on Terraria? I'm asking because I've been watching this game for ages but haven't seen a good reason to buy it so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Space travel, mechs, 10x the content, lots of quality of life improvements, etc etc.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Purple Prince posted:

Question: why would I play this game when I already have Terraria? I mean in what ways does it expand or improve on Terraria? I'm asking because I've been watching this game for ages but haven't seen a good reason to buy it so far.

It's Space Terraria with a much wider breadth of randomly generated content and better mining mechanics, amongst other things.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

There's more variety of poo poo.

Every terraria world is going to have surface -> caverns -> jungle -> dungeon -> hallow/corruption -> hard jungle -> jungle temple, roughly in that order.

Starbound just has more stuff, even with just the different races dungeons as well as their cities and outposts.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

President Ark posted:

I found one in alpha at X-95040570 y82670123. The system should be Alpha Mu Ara 47 and it's on a forest planet, Alpha Mu Ara 47 III.

It's a pretty decent hike to the right of spawn and it'll be in a surface cave on a hillside - it's easily close enough to the surface to be visible without needing to put torches everywhere but you might walk past it if you're not paying attention. If you reach an Apex city, you've gone too far.

Thanks.

This planet is full of weird slug things with nipples on their heads.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

x77209310 y92788839 Head right, green chest.

On the same planet I found this to the left:

It's a Floran statue with avian skulls on pikes. :stare:

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Our group realised that something was wrong when we one-shotted the first boss. Apparently either the developer test-run numbers got left in for the weapons, or the tiering for the crafted weapons is still set for tiers being 1-100 rather than 1-10.

In any case the DPS for all the crafted weapons is insane. Everything you touch is a one-hit kill.

We're going to stop playing until an emergency patch comes out :)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

sword_man.gif posted:

Some people pretty obviously are and you were the most recent quote, is all.

Oh ok fair enough, though I'm still not sure why anyone would be mad about balance issues in a game that's blatantly not finished from the minute you start playing.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Starbound posted:

There WILL probably have to be another character wipe for the weapons damage fix. Massive apologies!

Don't grow attached, beta phase 1, etc. etc. No ETA.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Is the Upgrade 1.0 glitch sword supposed to have 5000 dps? :stare:

e: Duuuuurrr :downs:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Purple Prince posted:

they've been able to expand on the concept a lot and add things like proper humanoid NPCs, procedurally generated towns, and a good variety of procedurally generated points of interest and such

terraria is janky as hell and have an awful ui

basically its like terraria but made by people who don't suck

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Can we stop with the "It's a beta" :goonsay: when someone says something the least bit critical of the build? I thought the point of a beta was to actually point out the issues that people are coming across.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Ah, blah, I was hoping that the system change was the reason for the wipe rather than just a numbers adjustment and that we might not see another for a while. But maybe it's something that affects worldgen somehow.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Verdugo posted:

Can we stop with the "It's a beta" :goonsay: when someone says something the least bit critical of the build? I thought the point of a beta was to actually point out the issues that people are coming across.

There's a difference between pointing something out and going "boy sure am glad they spent all that time on ~balance~ :rolleyes:"

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
From twitter: "There WILL probably have to be another character wipe for the weapons damage fix. Massive apologies!"

*edit* Blah, can't read 4 posts up.

Some French Guy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 10, 2013

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

This game is great, and Terraria is great. But there's no need to fanboi Starbound into being way better than Terraria. At this time in development, Terraria is still a more complete experience, and while Starbound may have "more to do" theoretically, there's a whole lot more dead-end caves and treasure chests with 1 piece of food in them. Starbound also encourages cheesing content way more than Terraria because of how the difficulty/planet system works. Like a lot of people said, the tiles are great and there's a lot of potential to build awesome houses -- but the game is all about flash harvesting planets and moving on.

Right now I feel like Terraria is just a better game all around, and while Starbound promises a lot, the practical gameplay is a lot less fantastical as the claims. Maybe after they iron out a lot of the wrinkles and fix some obvious flaws Starbound will beat out Terraria, but it's really hard to tell what they intend to do with the item progression system and combat difficulty because it is just a hot mess at the moment.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

canepazzo posted:

I hope the wipe/fix is soon, so Prawn Solo III can get some balanced pistols to shoot horrible fart monsters with.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don't suppose anyone's bothered to pay attention to how much memory Starbound's server requires? I've been running a server for 5-6 friends, but I'm sick of hosting it off of my own computer and I'm looking for a decent VPS hosting solution.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My starting planet was awesome this time around, a few feet from beam down was a fairly large avian village where I found a shark hat.

Oh Exploitable
May 1, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

I don't suppose anyone's bothered to pay attention to how much memory Starbound's server requires? I've been running a server for 5-6 friends, but I'm sick of hosting it off of my own computer and I'm looking for a decent VPS hosting solution.

For me the server's been taking~ 700mb-1gb for hosting 2 people. No idea if it goes up with more bodies.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Paradoxish posted:

The Windows server executable is using about a half-gig of RAM with no players connected, so that's probably a baseline (assuming you're going Windows and not *nix).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I have a fairly ancient PC and was able to host a server with 4-6 people and nobody was experiencing any lag whatsoever, so..

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

So, in thinking about spaceship refueling:
- make it clear that your ship can use anything combustible
- set the max fuel to 50~500k
Wood, flower petals, plant fiber, whatever, all contribute 1 or 2 units of fuel. Coal might be 10/hit. Higher tier fuels might drop in 100 or so and the max tier might be 1k. Keep fuel costs near where they are and scale based on distance.
Chopping down trees makes for easy early game intra-system travel and might require a little grinding for inter-system jumps.
When you're pulling in coal quickly and maybe some early asteroid stuff, rolling around the local clusters is no big deal.
By the time you're finding higher tier fuels, you basically don't have to worry about refueling.

I think this might encourage more thorough early game exploration of local planets (so it feels like the galaxy "opens up" as you progress) while also "rewarding" character progression with way less management of fuel use.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Reason posted:

My starting planet was awesome this time around, a few feet from beam down was a fairly large avian village where I found a shark hat.
The first start-up I had was TERRIBLE. Couldn't even get to the first tree about four screenfuls from the teleport landing without being attacked from ground and from the air.

The second was a bit better, though the aggro birds were still a pain in the arse. I was able to get a decent start, and there was one of those big Apex complexes not far away.

EDIT: Although I was able to find TWO techs (one in the complex, another in a cave just below the surface) so that was pretty cool.

Looks like that's getting wiped too, but, eh, early beta.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 10, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My spawn is amazing. Miniboss by spawn, Energy Dash just to the right in a chest, Sky Pirates to the left. I'll post on spreadsheet.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zlodo posted:

they've been able to expand on the concept a lot and add things like proper humanoid NPCs, procedurally generated towns, and a good variety of procedurally generated points of interest and such

terraria is janky as hell and have an awful ui

basically its like terraria but made by people who don't suck

On the other hand, Terraria is more or less complete, has a ton of content, and essentially the same game minus the largely cosmetic variation between worlds. It will also not be wiping your characters over and over, so if you are looking for a game to get invested in, it isn't a bad choice. Just because Starbound's early beta is out, doesn't mean Terraria is suddenly transformed into poo poo. Hell, most of the inherent design flaws Terraria has are still in this game.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yo just so ya'll know.

Don't get too attached again too quickly.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are they planning to do a quick patch to fix the weapon damage/wipe again, or will we be waiting a few days like the last one?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Most of what stands out about Starbound right now is the massive variety in cosmetic items/options and flavor text when examining that stuff. And probably the art, but that's more subjective and maybe some people really like final fantasy sprites.

Anything else that would actually make it beat out Terraria feature-wise is currently either kinda busted and a work in progress or planned but not even started yet. If you want to play a complete game, don't play this.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Verranicus posted:

Are they planning to do a quick patch to fix the weapon damage/wipe again, or will we be waiting a few days like the last one?
Seems to me like they'll knock this fix out pretty quickly once they sort out the problem, because it seems like someone goofed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tracula posted:

Yo just so ya'll know.

Don't get too attached again too quickly.

I would not want to be the community manager for Chuckle Fish's forums right now, or really ever. I wouldn't even want to meet meet one of them, I cannot imagine what sort of dried out husks of humanity they would be after even one day dealing with one of the most toxic fan bases imaginable.

• Locked thread