Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Doc Dee posted:

First planet I landed on had a bunch of coal and iron right at the surface. I like it, now I probably won't have to farm 8 planets to complete my armor.

Enjoy while it lasts, the next wipe includes the 'oreless starter planet' feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Verranicus posted:

I don't mind that people want there to be some direction or benefits to stuff, it's the ones that act all indignant and are basically saying that because you get no real benefit from building stuff it might as well not be in the game or something.

Well, if there's no benefit at all it does seem like a waste of design space. More of a missed opportunity than a flaw, but people are bad at expressing that kind of distinction.

Look at it as a balance between creativity and challenge. Creativity without any scarcity or functionality is boring because there are no limits to overcome, and a challenge without any room for creativity is only interesting once. People who can enjoy the former are both rare and probably better served by tools than games in the first place, and the latter isn't suited to a game that relies so heavily on random generation and exploration.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Keytar.

Yes.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

A shrubbery! posted:

I'm sticking to my plan of playing a 'canon' Floran, though it's mainly a canon that I'm inventing myself. :v: Being all planty, fire is of course extremely dangerous so should be treated with almost religious amounts of care. I'm not going to use any naked flames other than what's absolutely necessary; looted oil lamps, covered torches and electric lights rather than flaming torches for light (can you craft oil lamps?) and any tools involving heat go in their own underground stone room with the campfire converted into a sort of shrine.

You're not actually inventing that part! Try inspecting things like torches and campfires as a floran to hear what florans think of them.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar
Lots of the changes sound exciting, but taking this character wipe in the face after a loooong weekend playing this game makes me want to wait 4-6 days before I touch it again, in hopes it might become stable. I've got XCOM:EW to tide me over...

Never got screenshots of my last build before the reset :(

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Well I guess you should wait since there will apparently be another wipe soon.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Isorenieratane posted:

You're not actually inventing that part! Try inspecting things like torches and campfires as a floran to hear what florans think of them.

That's what gave me the idea!

I like that there could be a certain amount of politics between the races; Florans see everything except Glitch/Novakids as prey, Humans and Apex could have a Planet of the Apes-style conflict where both sides are scientifically advanced enough to want to experiment with the other instead of talk peace and the Glitch and Novakids seem like they're going to be wild-west sherrifs vs outlaws, while the Avians and Hylotl quietly keep watch from above and below.

People who think "there's no point to building on planets because you move to other planets" are silly

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
WOOD ISN'T A FUEL SOURCE ANYMORE? :psyboom:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spacemanspliff posted:

Lots of the changes sound exciting, but taking this character wipe in the face after a loooong weekend playing this game makes me want to wait 4-6 days before I touch it again, in hopes it might become stable. I've got XCOM:EW to tide me over...

Never got screenshots of my last build before the reset :(

They probably should have done a better job at communicating the wipe. They knew about it before the weekend began and told people on their forums and IRC and poo poo but I imagine that a whole lot of people don't read this thread or much else about the game. Whenever they have something like a planned wipe coming, wouldn't their launcher be a perfect place to notify people, and not just a bunch of scattered places that a lot of people will never see? Additionally, people say "you should have known there woul be wipes!" all the time but this info is not on their early access page, and their beta FAQ isn't something most people buying on Steam even see. In fact, their Steam early access info in general is really terse and uninformative.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I've gotta say having an orbiting starship that I can beam to and from at will does make me feel much less like building a sweet rear end fort, and somewhat takes away from the whole survival/progression side of the game.

Like, when you think about it, why am I grubbing around in the dirt? Seriously, I can't wire my no-cooldown teleporter to teleport chunks of rock into space? Or coal into its hold/engines? Or even break off the space-titanium door of a storage locker on my ship and shape it into a pick so that I don't have to use stone tools to grub around in the dirt?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

The Deadly Hume posted:

Before the wipe I managed to find one of those guys and bought the wizard hat. Then I got ambushed by some bandits and they dropped a bandit hat (more of a bandana really), so I put that on instead. And then somewhere along the line I found a chef's hat, so of course I had to wear that for a bit.

I've never played TF2 long enough to care about the hats there but this...

I almost bought a wizard hat when I found one of those dudes but decided to wait. Then I found a glitch castle and got a whole wizard set. :D

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They probably should have done a better job at communicating the wipe. They knew about it before the weekend began and told people on their forums and IRC and poo poo but I imagine that a whole lot of people don't read this thread or much else about the game. Whenever they have something like a planned wipe coming, wouldn't their launcher be a perfect place to notify people, and not just a bunch of scattered places that a lot of people will never see? Additionally, people say "you should have known there woul be wipes!" all the time but this info is not on their early access page, and their beta FAQ isn't something most people buying on Steam even see. In fact, their Steam early access info in general is really terse and uninformative.

I think they need to do a better job of communicating the Beta to people who don't pay close attention to the official site/forums/other forums like this one. Someone buying it off Steam Early Access only gets this message:

quote:

“Starbound is already extremely playable and contains a vast amount of content, however we decided to release the game as a beta through early access to ensure the community gets a chance to help us shape the game. In this first stage of the beta process you may experience some bugs but updates will come thick and fast as we listen to your feedback and add new content.”

While we know about the beta tiers, people who are just grabbing it off Steam because it looks interesting are going to be confused.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Alright, killed the first boss after starting anew due to that wipe. Just headed off to a new planet "threat level 2" not sure what the difference is between threat levels and normal levels but it's higher than the 1 I was on so here we go!

Is there any way to sell stuff? I'm having to make a lot more deep digs just to get money this time around.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rather Dashing posted:

Apex or GTFO.

Speaking of which, I joined a fun server the other night as 'That Damned Ape!' and had fun accidentally committing suicide over and over by falling into a pit. Anyone know if that server is still up? Can't remember its name and this thread has bloated too quickly to check.

Was it my server? We had a bunch of Apex on. Probably because we all started on a planet named Chimpanius.

Shame that there were so many of us that it started to lag that specific planet though. I eventually had to evacuate into space so I could play easily. It's great that they slow down physics stuff when a planet is loaded up like that, it but it can make fighting NPC's at the start of a character a pain.

mollygos
May 9, 2013

heat death of the universe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm talking to the rest of the team about sticking some more relevant "How the Beta Works" info up in the Steam store or the launcher.

To be fair, though:
http://playstarbound.com/how-the-beta-is-going-to-work/
http://playstarbound.com/coming-in-a-few-days-sorry-for-the-delay/

Not to mention stuff on Twitter/Facebook/IRC/the forums etc.
But yeah, I agree that we should make our Steam page more clear.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

Apex or GTFO.

Speaking of which, I joined a fun server the other night as 'That Damned Ape!' and had fun accidentally committing suicide over and over by falling into a pit. Anyone know if that server is still up? Can't remember its name and this thread has bloated too quickly to check.

I remember seeing you on our server and we usually end up having a big hole in the starting area. starbound.420yoloswag.com - password is in the PGS thread

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Archonex posted:

Was it my server? We had a bunch of Apex on. Probably because we all started on a planet named Chimpanius.

Shame that there were so many of us that it started to lag that specific planet though. I eventually had to evacuate into space so I could play easily. It's great that they slow down physics stuff when a planet is loaded up like that, it but it can make fighting NPC's at the start of a character a pain.

Did you have a modded ship that was charmingly lit only by torches? It wasn't an Apex planet as far as I could tell - I was just the one Apex player. I was also hilariously underpowered compared to everyone else, but it was kind of fun being the primitive ape.

SpeedRazor posted:

I remember seeing you on our server and we usually end up having a big hole in the starting area. starbound.420yoloswag.com - password is in the PGS thread

That's the one, thanks. I health and safety'd the gently caress out of your pit with helpful blocks to fall on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mollygos posted:

I'm talking to the rest of the team about sticking some more relevant "How the Beta Works" info up in the Steam store or the launcher.

To be fair, though:

Yeah, I get that, but how many players are actually regularly checking your homepage and that other stuff? Realistically, a lot of people get it from Steam and end up unaware of a lot of the happenings. Or maybe they pre-ordered it on your site but still are unaware because they got there on a recommendation or are just not the types to check that stuff regularly. Maybe bringing up the news feed in the launcher would be a good way to clue in people on the happenings. I'm glad you're addressing this, though. Thanks for responding!

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

mollygos posted:

To be fair, though:

Yeah, I like what you guys have on the site and think it's great, but I think having the tier information dumped at the top of the launcher window as well as in Steam might help filtering at least a small percentage of the shitlords you guys have to deal with. :cry:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Found a massive cavern completely made out of tar and there are bone plants growing out of them. I wonder if this is part of the fossil content they added.

edit: drat this place is mineral rich.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 10, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Found a massive cavern completely made out of tar and there are bone plants growing out of them. I wonder if this is part of the fossil content they added.
Eventually you'll be able to ignite those purple "tar" pools :unsmigghh:

(and harvest it, but that's boring.)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You know I was thinking about it and I'd really like the game to have the ability to bind items to buttons. I'd really like to rebind my Q and E to weapons. 1-6 is just not enough buttons to quickly move between all the stuff you want to use. I have every key bound except for 9, which is my open slot.

You know if you press the button of the item you currently have selected it selects your L/R stuff, right? So I basically have 1-5 as my frequently used stuff (pick, axe, flashlight, matter manip, and something else depending on what I'm doing) and then I just double tap something or re-tap the one I'm currently using to get to my weapon.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I guess I'm in the minority in that building poo poo is the most fun I have with games like this. The whole multiple plamets thing is like paradise to me because it just begs for me to have each planet with its own little story/settlements.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The one planet I got to land on before someone told me it was going to be wiped again was one with all these mushroom-trees and ground harvestable shrooms, and also many chests with building schematics for things like mushroom chairs and lamps and such.

Now it will all be lost like tears in my Kwanzaa Bot's cry matrix.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Welp, I scored a day off via the snow today. Guess I'll fire up the update and give a new character a whirl.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I never got very far in Terraria, although I still intend to, but someone was nice enough to gift me this game! I understand it's in the beta at the moment, but is the feature implemented where your single player progress can be transferred to a multiplayer server? I really liked that about Terraria, that I could learn the game in single player but not necessarily lose what little progress I made if I want to hop onto a server with dudes in the future.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lucid Delusion posted:

Welp, I scored a day off via the snow today. Guess I'll fire up the update and give a new character a whirl.

East coast huh? Today's a lovely day to go outside but a great day to be playing a Starbound dpdate.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
It would be really cool if somewhere in the OP it said "hey this is how you get a gun".

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mondlicht posted:

I never got very far in Terraria, although I still intend to, but someone was nice enough to gift me this game! I understand it's in the beta at the moment, but is the feature implemented where your single player progress can be transferred to a multiplayer server? I really liked that about Terraria, that I could learn the game in single player but not necessarily lose what little progress I made if I want to hop onto a server with dudes in the future.

Your character progress (like in Terraria) is transferred automatically when you choose which character to play with on a multiplayer server. Your progress on planets in your single player universe will not.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mondlicht posted:

I'm fairly sure both your ship and your character are what's saved - so both of them transfer to multi.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Redkist posted:

It would be really cool if somewhere in the OP it said "hey this is how you get a gun".

Except there's no specific way to get one. I assume you can craft them later on (or maybe they haven't implemented gun crafting yet) but the two main methods of getting one is through loot or merchants like the Sky Pirates.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

ViggyNash posted:

East coast huh? Today's a lovely day to go outside but a great day to be playing a Starbound dpdate.

Bingo. Should be a blast now that I have some idea of what I'm doing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

New tweet: https://twitter.com/StarboundGame/status/410465526180491264

quote:

Starbound ‏@StarboundGame 24s
Today's update MAY not require a character wipe, but we will need to do at least one more character wipe in the future. @kyrenn says sorry!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Lucid Delusion posted:

Bingo. Should be a blast now that I have some idea of what I'm doing.

Just another reminder that there's another wipe coming fairly soon (I assume/hope) when they fix the weapon DPS.

E:fb

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Found Energy Dash in a chest a few feet away from my starting planet's spawn point. Thanks, game.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Man, gently caress the changes to fall damage, I can't fall further than I jump without dying apparently.

And gently caress birds too, this first planet has birds spitting DARK PLASMA and ACID spray at me and kicking my rear end.

Just trying to get back to this avian pirate ship I found.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Found Energy Dash in a chest a few feet away from my starting planet's spawn point. Thanks, game.

Doc Dee posted:

Man, gently caress the changes to fall damage, I can't fall further than I jump without dying apparently.

And gently caress birds too, this first planet has birds spitting DARK PLASMA and ACID spray at me and kicking my rear end.

Just trying to get back to this avian pirate ship I found.

This sounds like my starting planet.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

More misc. beta feedback:

-Armor (the shield icon) value doesn't do anything right now. It's supposed to subtract damage taken from enemies or reduce it somehow, but isn't doing that at all.
-Fall damage is still determined by airtime and not velocity.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

ViggyNash posted:

WOOD ISN'T A FUEL SOURCE ANYMORE? :psyboom:

Hopefully liquid storage will be brought in soon, so you can harvest oil from the underground pools as a more efficient fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

This sounds like my starting planet.

Mine also has a huge Avian city a couple screens to the left. And I found a microphone.

It seems to be giving out cool starting planets this time.

• Locked thread