Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So:

I have a full set of Copper armor.

I have a good 1 handed weapon ( DPS is like 85...)
I have a shield. (Nothing special, but it's ok)

should I attempt the UFO? Is it easier now?

Also: How/when can I pixel-bank? I have like 1200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eheu
Jan 28, 2013
I know with the wipe some people were trying to leave time capsules to themselves, banking on the wipe erasing their characters but nothing built on planets so that they could return to the coordinates later and pick up their stash -- how'd this work out in the end? I've tried to check but at the rate of new posts here it's hard to find.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Verranicus posted:

I guess I'm in the minority in that building poo poo is the most fun I have with games like this. The whole multiple plamets thing is like paradise to me because it just begs for me to have each planet with its own little story/settlements.

You're not alone, I love building things too. I just wish more blocks were craftable from the beginning, simple things like thatch or leaves.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Something that would be really awesome for encouraging building on multiple planets (and building in general) would be interstellar traders who would visit 'settlements' once they have sufficient size/rooms/inhabitants.

This would give some gamey meaning to building big structures, if the number and quality of the traders visiting increased as you grew a planet's buildings from a dirt hovel to a massive structure.

They'd have to abstract off-planet trading in some manner, because 'time' is currently frozen on worlds you aren't on (plants won't grow etc). Some sort of simple calculation based on # of rooms + # of inhabitants and time passing on your current planet, then you revisit your old settlements and collect trade revenue (customs taxes :eng101:).

Eventually being able to build star bases around planets with the right tech to encourage even higher tier trading would be pretty badass.

If you're actually on the planet when the traders arrive, it could print a big message letting you know they're coming, and then you could visit with them to trade for items - the bigger the settlement, the better the chance for cool rare items, perhaps some items that are trade only.

With different racial traders visiting, there's lots of room for trade goods - if you could even set up automated mining/breeding/farming with npcs on your planets and have that generate increasing trade revenue with different races depending on what they like (or what a given sector/solar system produces or likes).

I might make an :effort: post about this idea, I need to go read their planned additions, I'm sure they have something like this on there already :P

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I have to agree- I kinda don't like the new weapon system. There was a sense of steady progression in the old one which was great.

The only problem with the system was the progression wasn't smoothed out. It was very easy to get 10-15 armor penetration weapons, snow gear, then trivialize the early game content, but after getting to Steel the system dropped off significantly and forced you to go to worlds you were not ready for at all for the next tier and some ore like gold and silver is extremely hard to find. Not to mention the armor after snow gear is mostly crap and super expensive.

Which is fine because this is a game still very heavily in development, but I think the system was actually really good, just underdeveloped and vague. I think they should go back to levels 1-100, and instead of "armor penetration" give the weapons a 1-100 level.

The only problem with this system is there needs to be more craftable and obtainable weapons for each tier. Let's put it this way. Iron creates level 5 weapons. Silver creates level 14, Steel creates level 20. To make an iron weapon for level 5's you need 10 iron, but then to make a weapon that can beat level 10 enemies you need 20 iron and 5 silver. 10 silver creates a level 14 weapon, but then to beat level 17 enemies you need 30 silver, and so on.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 10, 2013

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Found uranium and plat in T2 underground

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is farming broken at the moment? Only ever seem to get seeds when I try to grow something.

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you pressing E on the grown fruit?
:downs:

Thanks!

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 10, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Broken Cog posted:

Is farming broken at the moment? Only ever seem to get seeds when I try to grow something.

Are you pressing E on the grown fruit?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Is TL4 where content currently ends? I can make durasteel but nothing with it except decorations. There doesn't seem to be a new starmap available to craft either.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

More misc. beta feedback:

-Armor (the shield icon) value doesn't do anything right now. It's supposed to subtract damage taken from enemies or reduce it somehow, but isn't doing that at all.

Is this confirmed? I felt just as vulnerable in Iron armor, that'd explain it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'll back up that claim. I crafted the first level of racial armor and was getting hit just as hard as when I started the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
A disproportionate number of whiners on the official forums have My Little Pony avatars and signatures. Most of which have the pony characters in lingerie or with humanoid breasts. This is worse than the WoW general board.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Thank you for this information which I would have been better off not knowing.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Verranicus posted:

A disproportionate number of whiners on the official forums have My Little Pony avatars and signatures. Most of which have the pony characters in lingerie or with humanoid breasts. This is worse than the WoW general board.

Welcome to almost every modable game ever. Crafting/adventure games like this, Terraria, or Minecraft seem to attract a disproportionate share of horrible people.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Two screens here of my character in its default armour and in snow armour.

Look at the red damage indicator and the armour stat.

Default: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/damage%201.png
Snow: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12064557/damage%202.png

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt
Are enemies the same across people's universes, or after the next wipe, will the same planet have completely different monsters?

I found the cutest little antlered wooden guy and I want it as a pet so bad, but the upcoming wipe. :(

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Wonder how soon the new patch will drop. I took a few days off of playing when this patch was announced over the weekend (since I'd rather not get too attached and experience the new stuff with a wipe anyway) but seems there may or may not be a character wipe coming, so I'll hold off for a few more hours. Wanna play me some starbound!

vvvv I mean, I assume they are having the patch out by today, if not then sometime tomorrow. I'd rather wait and play with less chance of a reset than to spend a few hours playing the beginning of the game and having to redo it again.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 10, 2013

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Just play, guys. There may or may not be a character wipe, but the intro stuff doesn't take that long anyway, so .. just play.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

Just play, guys. There may or may not be a character wipe, but the intro stuff doesn't take that long anyway, so .. just play.

The first couple of hours are the most boring part of the entire game so if that's all I'm repeating, why bother? I played a lot after the previous wipe announcement because I was having fun building stuff out of all the poo poo I collected, but with the inability to do that, I'll just be patient and wait this out.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is the UFO any easier to beat or is it still an exercise in futility?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Jastiger posted:

Is the UFO any easier to beat or is it still an exercise in futility?

You can kill it in like 5 shots of the iron bow now.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Clever Spambot posted:

Thank goodness.

I get tired of finding areas with guns and they shoot me, I kill them, and I get no gun:(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

Perhaps the best way to deal with this character wiping would be a temporary option to simply allow a player to make a character that starts with everything up to the anvil?

Throw them 30 of copper and iron ore, 100 coal to get you enough fuel to out of the system, stone tools. Go hog wild from there, maybe.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
So I ran into an odd thing today
I've got a sword that does normal fire damage, but when I right click attack with it, it does the blue floaty ball wind attack.
Seems to be doing it with all 2h weapons I've tried so far. I've got an another that does death and fire as secondary.
edit: I assume this is some part of the secondary attack thing they are working on.

Eryxias fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 10, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clever Spambot posted:

poo poo, I should get on this asap then. I've been waiting on it because I didn't think I could beat it.

Gemakk
Mar 28, 2010
I've put a few dozen hours into Terraria, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I'm thinking of picking up this game. Is there a comprehensive article detailing the similarities and differences between Terraria and this game, or was there a response somewhere in this thread that already explains it?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The first couple of hours are the most boring part of the entire game so if that's all I'm repeating, why bother? I played a lot after the previous wipe announcement because I was having fun building stuff out of all the poo poo I collected, but with the inability to do that, I'll just be patient and wait this out.

That's fine, that was more directed at the ARGH I REALLY WANT TO PLAY BUT OH GOD MAYBE CHARACTER WIPE HNNNNG folks.

If you want to play, just play.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I'll back up that claim. I crafted the first level of racial armor and was getting hit just as hard as when I started the game.

Ah, that's probably why I'm getting tore up in the beta sector. It would also explain why I immediately die while getting hit with my shield up.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, 378 inferior brains and I can't combine them in some way to make one good one? 57 more and I'll have Congress (HEY-OO).

Is there a better way to get a good brain? All the planets are Threat 2 and I've been to 4 or 5 different ones.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Aurain posted:

Perhaps the best way to deal with this character wiping would be a temporary option to simply allow a player to make a character that starts with everything up to the anvil?

Throw them 30 of copper and iron ore, 100 coal to get you enough fuel to out of the system, stone tools. Go hog wild from there, maybe.

That's seriously like five minutes of digging. If you're not against very minor tinkering you can bring your Matter Manipulator up to par with a copper pickax and redeploy your main craft stations in the time it takes a can of soup to boil.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Gemakk posted:

I've put a few dozen hours into Terraria, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I'm thinking of picking up this game. Is there a comprehensive article detailing the similarities and differences between Terraria and this game, or was there a response somewhere in this thread that already explains it?

I haven't seen one so I'll probably write something up today.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I felt like the leather armour made a difference, but none of the others did.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reiley posted:

That's seriously like five minutes of digging. If you're not against very minor tinkering you can bring your Matter Manipulator up to par with a copper pickax and redeploy your main craft stations in the time it takes a can of soup to boil.

That's the point really though. You'd be cutting out the early parts you've done over and over already, but not giving you so much to discourage you going out and getting more because you've been given enough to get by or anything of the sort.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Gemakk posted:

Before any comparisons are taken it should be considered that Terraria (specially with the 1.2patch) has matured very well. Starbound is in Beta and took over/implemented a lot of QOL stuff, but the main 'gameplay' is fairly similar except that you're not limited to a single world and that (currently) a 'main base' on a planet is not really required. For now the biggest differences are AI/NPC-populated towns, multiple dungeons and dungeon types, multiple planet types that can have multiple biomes, randomly generated enemies and attack abilities for them, etc.

Really the only major similarities are the art style and that you mine resources in a 2D world to get stuff.

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

CapnBry posted:

Seriously, 378 inferior brains and I can't combine them in some way to make one good one? 57 more and I'll have Congress (HEY-OO).

Is there a better way to get a good brain? All the planets are Threat 2 and I've been to 4 or 5 different ones.
There's like 7% chance of getting a superior brain, enemy level or type doesn't matter. I got it on the first try this time around; 378 is amazingly unlucky.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Syllogism posted:

There's like 7% chance of getting a superior brain, enemy level or type doesn't matter. I got it on the first try this time around; 378 is amazingly unlucky.
Do I have to hit them first then brain them? I've just been using the brain extractor which one-shots anything it touches.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CapnBry posted:

Do I have to hit them first then brain them? I've just been using the brain extractor which one-shots anything it touches.

No. You just have insanely bad luck. The kind of bad luck that is ridiculously improbable. Someone calculate the odds of getting 378 inferior brains in a row. I think it's 0.0000000012% chance of happening? Or did I calculate that wrong? Either way, the chances are higher that multiple superior brains dropped and you missed them all somehow. Or they're hiding in your blocks subsection due to having a full inventory at the time. Or you should buy a lotto ticket.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 10, 2013

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
One small aesthetic thing I thought would be neat would be to have your character's breath puff out whenever you're in a cold or snowy biome, as opposed to just when you've almost frozen to death. Monsters in those areas doing it would be neat too, just for a little bit of extra ambiance and motion.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
My new starter planet has plenty of ore, an apex science dungeon three steps to the left of the spawn.

And armored trees :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Geomancing posted:

One small aesthetic thing I thought would be neat would be to have your character's breath puff out whenever you're in a cold or snowy biome, as opposed to just when you've almost frozen to death. Monsters in those areas doing it would be neat too, just for a little bit of extra ambiance and motion.

What if no warmth flows through these beasts veins :tinfoil:

• Locked thread