Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

PerrineClostermann posted:

So, which files do we edit to load our old characters enough for a supply drop? I'm not sure where we should be changing SBPFV1 to SBPFV1.1; my friend tried some files and it crashes when he clicks Singleplayer.

You don't. They wiped everybody's characters for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, which files do we edit to load our old characters enough for a supply drop? I'm not sure where we should be changing SBPFV1 to SBPFV1.1; my friend tried some files and it crashes when he clicks Singleplayer.

Most likely you will not be able to do this without crashes. If you're that desperate for those items, just mod them in some other way.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What's the difference between the metalworking station and the anvil?
Nvm, it makes the mark 2 map.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I sort of like the new aggressive birds. More of a skill/gear check against going to harder planets (if they ever implement that again, which I would like), and another way to make people go underground.

But I think I'm not really liking all planets of the same tier having the exact same difficulty. They should at least have different proportions of easy/medium/hard enemies and possibly harsher weather conditions.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

ViggyNash posted:

What's the difference between the metalworking station and the anvil?

The metalworking station makes higher tier recipes, including steel.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vatek posted:

You don't. They wiped everybody's characters for a reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Most likely you will not be able to do this without crashes. If you're that desperate for those items, just mod them in some other way.

Someone in the thread already mentioned it was possible and that they did it, and I've seen it mentioned on a few other forums.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Vatek posted:

The metalworking station makes higher tier recipes, including steel.

Do I have to find these recipes? The only difference I see from the anvil is the mark 2 map.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Someone in the thread already mentioned it was possible and that they did it, and I've seen it mentioned on a few other forums.

Though no one seems willing or able to explain how! :v:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I found a harmonica and promptly downloaded the .abc file for the Cantina Song. :getin:

Also the Mortal Kombat theme.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

Do I have to find these recipes? The only difference I see from the anvil is the mark 2 map.

I think you have to use the map upgrade before the new recipes show up. It basically unlocks T2.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rhjamiz posted:

Though no one seems willing or able to explain how! :v:

I think you just edit the save file's version number?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Feenix posted:

How/where? Mine is 100% empty!

How many pixels do you need for the 1000 block?

Have you made the Mk2 upgrade? The compressor is in there for me at 1500.
As for the blocks, they cost however much there name is, so the 1k block costs 1k, but only gives 600 (or something like that) back.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I think you just edit the save file's version number?

We're talking about editing in items into a player's inventory, rather than trying to import an old (wiped) character.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
My first planet seemed pretty devoid of resources - it had limited wood and no iron that I could find. I scrounged up coal and flew to a desert planet. At first I thought I was screwed, as there wasn't enough coal around to return me nor was there much in the way of survival stuff. Thankfully, the planet was inhabited by humanoids who are subservient to apes.

Was.

In a moment of desperation I murdered one of the guards with my starter sword, barely surviving. He dropped a 107 DPS weapon which I promptly used to murder the rest of the sentient beings on the planet. Now I'm getting somewhere.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Oneiros posted:

Where would one go to change this?

<gamedir>\assets\player.config

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fall damage is less punishing than it used to be. That number may be different but they fixed a bug in the game code so you'll usually receive less damage than you used to. Making it even lower is crazy.

Formula seems to be the same, though. Also, gently caress fall damage anyway.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rhjamiz posted:

We're talking about editing in items into a player's inventory, rather than trying to import an old (wiped) character.

There has been talk of editing in items to a player's starting chest on their ship, so you get them as a new character. Didn't see anything about an inventory editor yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oneiros posted:

I think you have to use the map upgrade before the new recipes show up. It basically unlocks T2.

Ah, I see them all now, thanks.

e: I wonder if the steel bow can one-shot the UFO now.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Did the second patch to fix crafted items happen already?

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

Oneiros posted:

Where would one go to change this?

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\player.config, edit the value for fallDamageFactor to a lower number. Don't forget to leave the comma after the value, and use a program like Notepad++ to edit the file.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Musluk posted:

Formula seems to be the same, though. Also, gently caress fall damage anyway.

Well, I think they mentioned somewhere that fall damage was bugged. Most likely that means in the actual game code and not the moddable data files. I remember taking 70 damage from relatively minor falls before, and now nothing crazy like that is happening. Those falls are giving me much less fall damage.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Is it just me or are some sound clips super loud? Felling trees and opening hoverchests in particular are jarringly loud.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Ebenezer posted:

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\player.config, edit the value for fallDamageFactor to a lower number. Don't forget to leave the comma after the value, and use a program like Notepad++ to edit the file.

If you do something like this how does it affect gameplay in multiplayer? Does it only affect yourself?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I just mined deep on my starting planet and found myself in some kind of underground smurf tomb, with giant mushrooms and loads of chests and gold ore.

Rattus Maximus
Nov 30, 2003

hssssss
I mined too deeply and too greedily. I hit a layer that was entirely sewage with poison for water.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
How wide are the worlds? I walked right for quite a while, and I didn't hit any border or loop back to the beginning.

Did I just not go far enough or are the worlds of infinite width?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got word from my friend; he used Notepad++ this time instead of loving Wordpad and managed to load his character. I'll have to try it when I get home.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Dauntasa posted:

I just mined deep on my starting planet and found myself in some kind of underground smurf tomb, with giant mushrooms and loads of chests and gold ore.

When you guys refer to digging too deeply or surface running for resources what type of distances are you talking? I feel like I dig deep by going through maybe 10 torches straight down or about 20 jumps up? Kind of difficult to quantify. How far left or right do you run from your starting base? I thought I ran far by going about nearly 10 minutes right, once. No idea if that is a lot or a little.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Duct Tape posted:

How wide are the worlds? I walked right for quite a while, and I didn't hit any border or loop back to the beginning.

Worlds are varying sizes, but they are all still finite.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Rattus Maximus posted:

I mined too deeply and too greedily. I hit a layer that was entirely sewage with poison for water.

That layer owns though, it can occur pretty deep and it's as fast or faster to dig through than dirt.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I found a tiny little house underground:

What is this? A home made for ants???

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 10, 2013

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I found a tiny little house underground:

What is this? A home made for ants???

I found a bunch of those and smashed them for their delicious pixels, savouring the mini misery I was causing.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Duct Tape posted:

They loop back around too! You can walk forever, you'll just be going in circles.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Duct Tape posted:

They aren't infinite. The size of the planet on the map is related to how big it is when you beam down, and the big ones can take quite a while to walk around.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, found a codec of Hiraki Corale, that one contest character. I haven't heard any mention of her since the beta announcement.

Found it on a Sky Pirate ship, in the bathroom. It's about seasickness.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

Duct Tape posted:

World size seems to vary, with larger worlds also letting you dig deeper before hitting the core. Keep walking, you'll loop around eventually.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Did the wipe change any of the worldgen? I haven't checked out any of the pre-wipe seeds, so it'd be nice to know.

As I started today I found a nice little forest world at X:21 Y:11, 4th planet, satellite d. Theres a glitch village with food, clothing, and weapons shops to the left of the landing site, plus a flute. To the right is a chest with 10 platinum ore, too.

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 10, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Did the second patch to fix crafted items happen already?

Nope. If you start up the game it tells you the version number (and the date of the latest patch). The one we're waiting for is going to be v. Frustrated Koala (dated 10/12/2013).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is it possible to run multiple instances of the game without purchasing multiple copies? I ran a one-man-band in LOTRO by doing that and was curious if I could repeat that in Starbound.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I've been working and haven't played in a bit. You can't fuel ships with wood anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

dongsweep posted:

When you guys refer to digging too deeply or surface running for resources what type of distances are you talking? I feel like I dig deep by going through maybe 10 torches straight down or about 20 jumps up? Kind of difficult to quantify. How far left or right do you run from your starting base? I thought I ran far by going about nearly 10 minutes right, once. No idea if that is a lot or a little.

That's just the skin of the world. I start with 20 torches and a stockpile of wood and coal and once I've used the first 20, I make another 20 and repeat. I don't stop till I've run out of materials to make torches or something kills me or I pick through the ceiling of a vast cavern and fall to my death.

I do like to meander a lot while chasing ore veins, but I'm always moving downwards and I still haven't hit the bottom of the map in any of my digs. I did go as far as magmastone though, so I figure I've gotten close.

• Locked thread