Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cismans Burden posted:

So I've been working and haven't played in a bit. You can't fuel ships with wood anymore?

No, but coal is much more abundant and fuel costs are way down (only 1 coal to go to
same system planets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Is it possible to run multiple instances of the game without purchasing multiple copies? I ran a one-man-band in LOTRO by doing that and was curious if I could repeat that in Starbound.

The executables seem to require steam, so I don't think so.

Bottom Liner posted:

No, but coal is much more abundant and fuel costs are way down (only 1 coal to go to
same system planets).

Also there's not much reason to explore other planets now that all of the loot is mostly the same everywhere within a sector.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cismans Burden posted:

So I've been working and haven't played in a bit. You can't fuel ships with wood anymore?

No. It's really dumb.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

They must have increased the density of poo poo going on. On my starting planet, which is a little forest moon orbiting a big planet, I've run into a tech chest, an avian city, a human shop, a glitch bandit camp, and a glitch cult.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Why are so many people acting like you can't find huge deposits of coal literally everywhere?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zoe posted:

Why are so many people acting like you can't find huge deposits of coal literally everywhere?

It just takes a whole lot longer to mine than it does to get an equivalent number of logs, and you will never have as many coal pieces as wood logs. Add to this you needing a lot of steel in T2 and the end result is that interstellar travel becomes a whole lot more tedious.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

A piece of coal gets you a lot further than a log ever did and after a casual stroll around a planet stopping to grab any obvious coal I have 200+. I could probably double that by venturing further into caves or come out with more coal than I possibly need if I went even deeper. Really not seeing any issue.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Because sometimes you can't and it's still a poor change.

You need one hundred coal pieces to go to a different system or sector. That's a fairly high amount, regardless of abundance. And you need coal for steel, which for armor is at least enough seventy. That's a fair amount of tedious effort you have to get through as a general gameplay tax - constantly.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So is there any reason to just pick a point and start digging deeper? Right now I just explore planets by running along the surface and exploring any caverns I find (and digging for any ore I see, of course), but I wonder if I need a more advanced method. I don't want to miss anything cool, but I also don't want to spend forever on an silverless planet digging copper for an eternity.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So a question...

About how much RAM is the dedicated server client taking up for this? I'm considering renting a server for persistent universe causes and RAM seems to be how much the rate is charged by.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Wood doesn't burn like coal does, you can't push your steam engines FTL with a pile of lumber.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I hosed around for a bit and went to see what the current stats were for the top end craftable gear. Came out with this.
:shepface:

Getawhale
Jan 10, 2004

Reiley posted:

Wood doesn't burn like coal does, you can't push your steam engines FTL with a pile of lumber.

i always thought wood fuel was stupid as hell

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

A piece of coal gets you a lot further than a log ever did

Actually, no, they changed coal's fuel potency to be that of what wood was last patch, so it gets you just as far as a piece of wood while still being necessary for torches, steel, durasteel, so on and so forth.

It's a dumb change.

Also, coal's (and other ore's) current abundance is a mistake, per the patch notes:

quote:

- Ore rebalance (probably way way too much ore at the moment, will be fixed later, enjoy it)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 10, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Found a quaint Glitch hamlet:

With a coup full of:

And owned by a rather grumpy Glitch:

e: Scratch that, it's a whole town :allears:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 10, 2013

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Actually, no, they changed coal's fuel potency to be that of what wood was last patch, so it gets you just as far as a piece of wood while still being necessary for torches, steel, durasteel, so on and so forth.

It's a dumb change.

At the same time they reduced how much fuel it takes to get around in the same system though. So yeah, it gets you further than logs did.

If you guys really can't find enough coal to get around then I think you may be blind. It's the most common resource in the game at the moment, that poo poo is absolutely everywhere in large quantities. More than enough to fuel your ship, make stacks of steel and torch up whole planets.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zoe posted:

It isn't a big deal, but it is still annoying in the sense that it just adds time for the people that want to change their starting worlds. Allowing wood to be used as fuel does not change the game economy, nor does it make the game easier, it just makes that initial move a lot less tedious (unless you have a treeless world, then it really doesn't matter). An optimal solution would be to just let the player pick their starting location (or elect for the default random one) or even better, remove the early game fuel costs altogether. It really doesn't add anything to the game.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Does anybody have a link to the post about changing the mining speed/size of the MM? With a possible incoming wipe to fix weapons and armor, I'm not going to put too much time into this character.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Because sometimes you can't and it's still a poor change.

You need one hundred coal pieces to go to a different system or sector. That's a fairly high amount, regardless of abundance. And you need coal for steel, which for armor is at least enough seventy. That's a fair amount of tedious effort you have to get through as a general gameplay tax - constantly.

I dunno I like that there's more incentive to explore your immediate area (sector) than just being able to immediately go anywhere. As far as it being a tedious gameplay tax, mining is part of the gameplay no? Plus coal is always on the surface level so as far as mining goes it seems less tedious than a lot of other stuff you'll be mining for anyways.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It just takes a whole lot longer to mine than it does to get an equivalent number of logs, and you will never have as many coal pieces as wood logs. Add to this you needing a lot of steel in T2 and the end result is that interstellar travel becomes a whole lot more tedious.

It used to take 200 lumber to go somewhere. Now it takes 1 coal.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Evil Sagan posted:

So is there any reason to just pick a point and start digging deeper? Right now I just explore planets by running along the surface and exploring any caverns I find (and digging for any ore I see, of course), but I wonder if I need a more advanced method. I don't want to miss anything cool, but I also don't want to spend forever on an silverless planet digging copper for an eternity.

I tend to explore surface caverns, and dig further if there is fine sand,snow,dirt or really easily mineable material and try to find another opening. Mining through a huge pile of fine sand or gravel is the best. Also help to pick a cavern close to spawn in case you die so getting back down there is not so hard. Bring lots of torches. Light up the place and grab any easy ore veins that are near cavern edges. So far (since the patch) he first tier 1 planets I've been to have actually had a ton of silver and gold if you go down a bit, not sure how the planets generate if there are actually ones that don't have any of certain metals.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If you're running a server and change the universe seeds, does each client need the same seed so character creation happens correctly? If I create a new character and join the server,which is hosted on another pc, I can beam down to the first planet, but it has no name and if I touch he ship's command console, the game freezes. If I then load the character in singleplayer, it works fine. I'm sure this will all be fixed once server side characters and custom universe seeds are a thing in the client itself.

On a side note, the official forums discussion on the topic is amazing. So many people are against the option to have your own universe seed because sharing coordinates is part of the "experience".

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

And it takes a hell of a lot longer to get 200 lumber than it does to get 1 coal.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

You know eventually there's going to be a strict list of coordinates to follow for optimal aquisition of resources.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I agree that 'oops we made crafted weapons do eleventy billion damage more than they are supposed to' needs fixing, I'm more concerned how suicidally painful merely existing is early. Even if you luck out on drops (Haha no that mile underground Large Chest has a single item, a sword with half the DPS of your starter)/struggle your way to making an Iron sword, or Iron Bow doing everything in your power to avoid enemies, that merely turns it into "I have a better chance of not being completely destroyed by my Spawn world ground wildlife, IF I can hit them first."

Where I left off if I don't beat the enemy to the draw I'm still pretty hosed, not exaggerating when I say the common wildlife frequently blasts me down from full health to 3 bars in a single attack (Though that seems to be these pig turtles tendency to fire two lightning beams at once). I probably would have started to continually starve to death without this new Iron Bow because the seeds I planted (on my ship and the planetside) grew once but haven't grown again in all my time scrounging for iron.

Fake Edit: Took a quick peek to see if this newfangled copper armor makes any difference at all (Why did I even make these copper pants my starting pants are just as protective), seems just as if not more useless than pre wipe.

On the "Compare to Terraria" Subject. Overland travel feels suicidal while desperatly digging down, down, always down and just putting the dirt back and going in a slightly diffrent direction if you see wildlife feels safe. Compared to, not being spectacularly hosed overland without finding/scrounging up materials for something that can oneshot everything, and going deeper being potentially more dangerous instead of less in Terraria.

^^^ Also, Nthing the 'Because sometimes people get hosed by the RNG' for why "Just get some coal dumbass" isn't helpful from a Balance The Beta standpoint. While the usually larger blobs of ore made me FEEL like I was getting more Coal, actually checking how much I had after a couple campfires, a furnace, and 30 torches and lots of deep digging (lucked out into a huuuuuge natural downward cavern at least) was... not even near 200. That's not even enough for a round trip. I got a chunk of surface to explore still (I went down because overland was pretty much suicide till these iron weapons), so that may well change, but still pretty bad for the fuel situation overall unless "You have enough for one star jump that's plenty of fuel :rolleyes:" is the popular mindsset. On top of the fact you can end up in a starting star where the only places are the world/worlds you start in orbit around like my last go at this (Though yes, a good selection of worlds for me to go across for cheap this time)

I mean, I've found more IRON than I have coal. Which I thank god for, but still.

Real Edit: I told myself I would wait until the "maybe wipe" to play again but I'm still playing I can't stay mad at this game I just whine like a baby about being as effective as one in combat before I can beat the enemy to overkill.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 10, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The Glitch think the strangest things.

e: Also, they are really obsessed with lily pads.

I think that may be their go-to Hylotl insult

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 10, 2013

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I know a lot of people are salty about having to mine coal and stuff, but it's really not a big deal. Try mining down -- you'll actually find a lot of ore! Especially since recently they overcompensated a bit with the ore generation. I've had a lot of fun spelunking and finding connecting caves (you usually don't have to dig that far to find something that connects to something else) and this tends to get you a lot of resources.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Getawhale posted:

Wrong, wood-powered starships are hilarious.

If it were up to me I'd make it so you can use literally anything as fuel. Wood, ore, bits of dead monsters, dirt, obsolete weapons, you name it. That's how fusion power works, right? :v:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

Does anybody have a link to the post about changing the mining speed/size of the MM? With a possible incoming wipe to fix weapons and armor, I'm not going to put too much time into this character.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools

beamaxe.beamaxe

blockRadius is the default mining radius. altBlockRadius is the radius of the tool when holding down shift. fireTime is how often it "swings" (lower means faster mining).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Evil Sagan posted:

You know eventually there's going to be a strict list of coordinates to follow for optimal aquisition of resources.

Not only that but people will write scripts that crawl their character with a 10x10 MM tweak across sequential levels of planets to strip mine things with the click of a button.

Also chill about coal, seriously it used to cost 200 wood to get a place, now it costs 1 coal. Heaven forbid you have to walk a place... which you would have to walk anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If it were up to me I'd make it so you can use literally anything as fuel. Wood, ore, bits of dead monsters, dirt, obsolete weapons, you name it. That's how fusion power works, right? :v:

Hell yes son

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

...No? It took 10 lumber for a within-system jump. It only took 200 lumber for jumping to a different system, and if the cost had not been reduced to 100, it would also now take 200 coal since, again, coal is now 1:1 like lumber was.

And again, this all ignores that there are multiple uses for coal whereas wood is basically just platforms, ignores the potential of being stuck in an area without wood, ignores that the current proliferation of coal is a "mistake", etc.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Section Z posted:

Fake Edit: Took a quick peek to see if this newfangled copper armor makes any difference at all (Why did I even make these copper pants my starting pants are just as protective), seems just as if not more useless than pre wipe.

Armor is busted right now. Copper, Iron, Starting clothes - it doesn't matter what you wear, you take the same amount of damage.

(P.S. test this for yourself and then post about it in the bugs forum!)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kyrosiris posted:

And again, this all ignores that there are multiple uses for coal whereas wood is basically just platforms, ignores the potential of being stuck in an area without wood, ignores that the current proliferation of coal is a "mistake", etc.

sure aren't multiple uses for wood nope!

:wtc:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Getawhale posted:

I'm just sad you can't use sewage blocks as a fuel source.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

...No? It took 10 lumber for a within-system jump. It only took 200 lumber for jumping to a different system, and if the cost had not been reduced to 100, it would also now take 200 coal since, again, coal is now 1:1 like lumber was.

The other uses for coal all spit out like 3x product per one coal in. You can stretch your coal just fine.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wish they would just let you chuck in anything for fuel. I would finally have a purpose for all the lovely weapons I accidentally pick up while killing humanoids.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I want a mod that makes my Starship run on alcohol. Also another mod that lets me mix cocktails.

DrManiac posted:

I wish they would just let you chuck in anything for fuel. I would finally have a purpose for all the lovely weapons I accidentally pick up while killing humanoids.

Also inferior brains.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Zenzirouj posted:

Can't remember where the exact post was, but basically you just go to your Starbound folder, look in assets/items/tools for a file called beamaxe.beamaxe, open it in Notepad and change "fireTime" to whatever number. 0.05 let's you hoover up dirt and cobblestone pretty much instantly, or use 0.3 if you want to just match a copper pickaxe.

e: beaten, but that's normal for this thread.

Also, coal powered ships are dumb too, ideally they should make us climb up the tech tree from stone tools to splitting the atom AT LEAST before letting us go to distant planets. Intra-system travel can be allowed before that but the trip should take 6-8 hours real time.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 10, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Stew Man Chew posted:

sure aren't multiple uses for wood nope!

:wtc:

Not past the early game there aren't, whereas you're still using coal all through the game for "refined" metals (iron into steel, titanium into durasteel, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Underwhelmed posted:

I want a mod that makes my Starship run on alcohol. Also another mod that lets me mix cocktails.

I found a flask of whiskey in a penal colony once. Can't remember what it did, might have been health regen.

• Locked thread