Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Did characters just get wiped? All of mine are gone.

Asking because my account has been funky the past few days. I'll play for 2-3 hours, log out and when I log back in everything I accomplished or gathered is missing but if I go back to planets or areas I've visited my tunnels are still visible and randomly spawned chests are empty. Which is fine cause (beta) but goddamn if it's not a bit frustrating to find a sweet axe just to lose it when you log out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I'm saying there are two ore trees, one for fuel, one for metallic ore, and if metallic ore is going to be fuel then we might as well just get rid of fuel entirely. Steel/durasteel/etc is not really the same issue as making higher fuels useless. Unless of course I'm misreading you and you are actually advocating coal be removed and we just use metallic ores alone.
The problem is that coal is used for every tier of crafting and making it the only fuel source (read: if it was the only EFFICIENT fuel source it wouldn't be as much of a problem) is pretty terrible and breaks the free-flow nature of the game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The problem is that coal is used for every tier of crafting and making it the only fuel source (read: if it was the only EFFICIENT fuel source it wouldn't be as much of a problem) is pretty terrible and breaks the free-flow nature of the game.
It's not the only fuel source.

yancy2010 posted:

Did characters just get wiped? All of mine are gone.
Yes, because the latest patch is not compatible with old characters. So they got invalidated, rather than wiped, technically.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Plutonium and Uranium are/will be fuel sources, so Coal is hardly the only fuel source.

e;fb

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Demicol posted:

Those things give you a short-time buff like higher jump, or it can instant kill you. Not really worth the risk of opening.

There is zero risk. You just have to stand back and the explosion won't hit you. If you don't know what color smoke is what buff you might get burned or poisoned but that's no big thing.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Dammit Rhjamiz stop posting I hate that loving avatar :gonk:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

It's not the only fuel source.

Rhjamiz posted:

Plutonium and Uranium are/will be fuel sources, so Coal is hardly the only fuel source.

e;fb
Considering to get numerous amounts of it requires building a 5000 tile tower or going to fourth tier planets, I'm not sure why you are expecting people to be fine with spending a lot of time underground to get coal. I don't care if the final build requires 5-10 total wood or 10-20 plant fiber for one fuel unit, just give people multiple viable ways to do things and use (lack of) efficiency to balance it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm not sure why you are expecting people to be fine with spending a lot of time underground to get coal.
And I don't know why you keep insisting despite every post to the contrary that you have to spend "a lot of time underground to get coal".

E: But actually on further consideration, I am expecting people to be fine with exploring underground because the game is largely about exploration. If people want to find towns and dungeons and the like, I expect them to be fine with exploring too. "Grinding" coal even for a between-systems trip only takes a few minutes tops, and that's if you don't get coal along the way just incidentally from all the other stuff you do in the game, which you all but certainly will, and without even trying. It happens during exploration, during basic gameplay. And what are you world-hopping for, if not to explore more? Why is spending more than a few minutes per planet such a horrible prospect? I could understand if you were looking for like, a specific biome, and the game didn't tell you ahead of time what the biome of the planet you were landing on was, but otherwise I can't really see why it's such a big issue.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 11, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

And I don't know why you keep insisting despite every post to the contrary that you have to spend "a lot of time underground to get coal".
You kind of do if you travel a lot? Some people like doing that. What is so offensive about using wood as fuel, even if they have to make it hilariously inefficient compared to coal mining?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I would like to see something you can grow that can fuel the ship. Maybe a machine that converts plants into biofuel, or just some sort of fuel-specific plant you can stick in the tank.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Filthy Monkey posted:

I would like to see something you can grow that can fuel the ship. Maybe a machine that converts plants into biofuel, or just some sort of fuel-specific plant you can stick in the tank.
I tried putting those "Current corn" food items shaped like batteries into the engine, but I guess your spaceship only works with Duracell or something.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You kind of do if you travel a lot? Some people like doing that. What is so offensive about using wood as fuel, even if they have to make it hilariously inefficient compared to coal mining?
If your complaint is that it takes too long, when "grinding" for coal will only cost you maybe two or three minutes for a full interstellar trip, how in the world is offering an even less effective alternative addressing your problem?

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
I'm pretty sure that every structure/town I've found on a planet has been WAY faster to get to going to the left from where you drop on the planet. Anyone else figured that ? Every post with coordinate for something says "go left" too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

If your complaint is that it takes too long, when "grinding" for coal will only cost you maybe two or three minutes for a full interstellar trip, how in the world is offering an even less effective alternative addressing your problem?
Except taking too long isn't a core problem. I'm saying removing one way to do things is a problem regardless, and some people prefer to use coal for other things and being able to use detritus or obsolete materials as leftovers is kind of a selling point of this crafting system (else we wouldn't be able to change metal into money at all.)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Why have fuel at all? In fact, why have any progression at all? Why not just give you every armor and weapon right from the start so there's none of this tedious "collecting" and "fighting" and "crafting?"

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lucid Delusion posted:

I spent entirely too much time playing this today. But I finally managed to defeat the UFO after using the distress beacon and got my molten core. Found a bunch of great weapons in that underground tomb that helped me win that battle. Plus it helps that I had so much copper I was able to build a nice suit of armor.

Does armor even work? Someone a few pages ago put up some screens of him taking the same amount of damage with or without armor, and I keep getting wrecked just as hard despite having a full copper set.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Why have fuel at all? In fact, why have any progression at all? Why not just give you every armor and weapon right from the start so there's none of this tedious "collecting" and "fighting" and "crafting?"

Wouldn't be much of a game then. :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Wouldn't be much of a game then. :v:

:thejoke:

I agree with wood as a fuel source, albeit an exceptionally inefficient one. It serves as a good buffer in case you start on a planet somehow devoid of coal.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Still on my first starter planet, I just keep digging down and.. where am I? What will I find? Probably death.

edit: Mining the bricks gives me "smooth tomb brick." Yeah, definitely death down here.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

Except my suggestion doesn't preclude skipping crafting or anything? Let people turn the detritus they collected into poo poo-grade charcoal at the cost of efficiency, while doing things meticulously and correctly will give you everything of everything for a long time.

The grognards sure are out in parade today.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
what file do i edit to change the speed of the matter manipulator? (file and property?)

KoB
May 1, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Youre totally right. There should even be a fuel for walking, like you have to constantly press Q to breathe in order to fuel your body to walk. But maybe thats too easy, it should probably be a little tedious, so maybe you have to stop every once and a while to catch your breath.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Except my suggestion doesn't preclude skipping crafting or anything? Let people turn the detritus they collected into poo poo-grade charcoal at the cost of efficiency, while doing things meticulously and correctly will give you everything of everything for a long time.

You can easily make a mod with simple text editing that does this if you want; feel free to share it with the rest of us when you're done :kiddo:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Zoe posted:

Oh god, I am so sorry! And I'm sorry for this post too! :ohdear:

(I did laugh, though. I'm not sorry about that!)

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm totally on board with wood into charcoal, at the very least. Make it usable for torches, too. Especially for torches. I've got a fuckton of wood now and nothing to build with it but an endless house of boxes and beds.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

what file do i edit to change the speed of the matter manipulator? (file and property?)

assets\items\tools\beamaxe.beamaxe

"fireTime" : 0.001,
"blockRadius" : 6,

for example gives you a VERY quick refire rate, and a 6-block dig section. Little bit too fast there, I'm sure, but easy to tweak.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

KoB posted:

Youre totally right. There should even be a fuel for walking, like you have to constantly press Q to breathe in order to fuel your body to walk. But maybe thats too easy, it should probably be a little tedious, so maybe you have to stop every once and a while to catch your breath.

Starbound: QWOP Edition? I would totally play that :haw:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

2 Track EP posted:

You can easily make a mod with simple text editing that does this if you want; feel free to share it with the rest of us when you're done :kiddo:
I do, actually, but it looks the same as coal.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm really all for a wood to charcoal process, and am surprised it doesn't already exist in the game. Make the charcoal itself work the same as coal, and it already takes two ores for a single ingot on the starting metals, so the efficiency can be controlled through a ratio like that. Furthermore, you can then have plant fiber and other plant materials being turned into charcoal at varying efficiencies - I understand corn pellets are a pretty good fuel, whereas I don't think you'll get a decent amount of fuel out of water-heavy fruits like tomatoes.

A possible concern is whether crafting recipes can handle alternate materials, or if it will wind up requiring distinct coal/charcoal crafting entries, but if that's a problem, at this stage of the beta, I don't see any problem with having plant material simply processing into plain coal, and sorting it out later.

Rhjamiz posted:

Oh god, I am so sorry! And I'm sorry for this post too! :ohdear:
:3:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

KoB posted:

Youre totally right. There should even be a fuel for walking
You mean food?

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

How big is the patch? I remember people saying the last one was around 500 megs and my data cap is running out.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

ViggyNash posted:

Does armor even work? Someone a few pages ago put up some screens of him taking the same amount of damage with or without armor, and I keep getting wrecked just as hard despite having a full copper set.

Well I had the full copper set, with the upgraded greaves and chestpiece. Prior to the patch I was completely obliterated by the space penguin's gun as soon as it beamed down. This time around I was able to withstand multiple hits with enough time to bandage myself up.

Lucid Delusion fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 11, 2013

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

im a girl btw posted:

How big is the patch? I remember people saying the last one was around 500 megs and my data cap is running out.

It was around 780MB if I remember correctly, plus/minus a little bit from that size.

Dox023 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 11, 2013

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

im a girl btw posted:

I think it is about 750 MB

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

How about if your ship is broken and you have to craft a big repair ship engines thing? Then you can travel all you want, and quests to upgrade the engines allow access to harder sectors. That way there is still a cost to progress, but it's in the form of a big up front payments, instead of taxing you all game to travel.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 11, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Zoe posted:

Jumping spiders are adorable :colbert:
Also the one in his av isn't even the size of a dime, you are literally thousands of times bigger than it is. But not this one. You're only hundreds of times bigger than that one.

Who do I bother for giant jumping spider pets?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Can you move water in like buckets or something. to be honest i didnt think the engine for your space ship would be powered by coal i thought it would be powered by water or like Dilithium crystals. I thought it would be cool to have a hydrogen engine because that makes more sense then a steam powered space ship.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009
My Starbound just started patching, 581.4 MB.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The way things are right now, even ignoring crafted items, dropped items are way better than anything you can buy at a shop. It's better to end all life in a town than actually try to trade with them. This will probably be fixed when shops get green, blue and purple rarity items for sale.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I thought you guys said coal only fuels 1 point now. It looks to me like it's still 2. I must have misread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Charcoal mod (icon for charcoal is the same as coal because I don't know how transparencies work for this game):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9qd4dtcf5yyfte3/charcoal2.zip

• Locked thread