Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Whoa hey, what's this "Server Account" thing on the page to connect to multiplayer? Groundwork for whitelists and server-side characters, perhaps?

Edit: You really should be able to craft the core component of a crafting station on that crafting station (molten core on metalwork station, processor on robotic table, etc), so that you don't have to grind all the boss ingredients to make a backup crafting station

Icedude fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Verranicus posted:

No dice. I don't use mumbles overlay, and the Steam overlay is enabled.

Try exiting Steam and running it as administrator (right-click > Run as).

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Rolling up an Avian, I randomed the name "Sunpraiser." Guess I'm keeping this one :sun:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Rolling up an Avian, I randomed the name "Sunpraiser." Guess I'm keeping this one :sun:

drat, if that isn't a sign written clear as orange soapstone, I don't know what is.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Ixjuvin posted:

Devs kick so much rear end for putting that in :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

So I thought you guys said coal only fuels 1 point now. It looks to me like it's still 2. I must have misread.

It only takes 1 point of fuel to travel in star cluster now.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
A friend linked me this. Co-ordinates to a giant-rear end space elevator tree thing in Alpha sector, with screenshots.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Seems like everything on Tier 3 is a one shot still. That's kind of annoying.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm liking the balance so far. Going through a dungeon wasnt a one shot fest from both sides, and with enough bandages I was able to do it all in one go. The weapons I got from the enemies were better than my pre-patch broken ones, so its a step up. You can run away from birds. So far so good.

How do I capture monsters?

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
The patch notes say they are not wiping characters/worlds with this hotfix. I have yet to use or make any weapon that isn't my starting sword, so will the new items I craft/find be the hotfixed balanced ones? I'll probably keep puttering around on this character regardless, at least until I finish exploring the planet, but I'm just curious.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wood/plant fiber to charcoal mod, now with torches made with charcoal. Exciting, I know.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/91qax8ix3iu5ov3/charcoal3.zip

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Armor is still broken and doesn't increase defense.

I'm guessing shields are also still useless? Has anyone tried?

e: Haha loving steam gets a disk write error every single time it wants to update starbound.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I just got this and made an Avian I think they're called. First time I beam down to the planet I get swarmed by angry critters and probably eaten alive. That's ok I guess these things happen. I go back down and drown/die in a poison lake. Fair enough now I know better. Third time I manage to explore a bit then what looks like a death fog rolled in and killed me almost instantly. Whelp. I wait it out and explore some more and I just found what looks like an abandoned lab with a basement full of dangerous chemicals so I made myself a campfire and set up in here.

I can't stop playing this.

Edit: Oh my god I found a poisoned sword called 'Poop Badgerer'.

Estraysian fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 11, 2013

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Mondlicht posted:

The patch notes say they are not wiping characters/worlds with this hotfix. I have yet to use or make any weapon that isn't my starting sword, so will the new items I craft/find be the hotfixed balanced ones? I'll probably keep puttering around on this character regardless, at least until I finish exploring the planet, but I'm just curious.

Yes, you will get the fixed items on your character.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

e: Haha loving steam gets a disk write error every single time it wants to update starbound.

Shields don't seem to be working for me still.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I hope they fix armor soon. It's really loving progression :/

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

I had this problem too. Check your task manager and end any open Starbound processes.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Estraysian posted:

I just got this and made an Avian I think they're called. First time I beam down to the planet I get swarmed by angry critters and probably eaten alive. That's ok I guess these things happen. I go back down and drown/die in a poison lake. Fair enough now I know better. Third time I manage to explore a bit then what looks like a death fog rolled in and killed me almost instantly. Whelp. I wait it out and explore some more and I just found what looks like an abandoned lab with a basement full of dangerous chemicals so I made myself a campfire and set up in here.

I can't stop playing this.

Edit: Oh my god I found a poisoned sword called 'Poop Badgerer'.

Just so you know, it wasn't a death fog. You were freezing to death.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I couldn't help myself. I made a Fry look-a-like and went with the name Hugh Mann.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Apparently Rho is doing the art for Rimworld too. I was already looking forward to it, at least I have Starbound to keep me company until the public alpha.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Kyle Hyde posted:

I also did this, before I realized why temperature mattered! I carry a camp fire with me at all times when I'm mining, just in case, but torches also work albeit a little slower.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
How do you go about unlocking the Grappling Hook and the Pokeballs? I'm futzin around Tier 3 and I'm a little afraid to summon the boss alone since armor is totally bonered.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So eerily perfect.

:v:

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

So, it seems merchants in towns now are totally broken, They do not sell anything at all. Hummm

Edit: the food merchants seem to still work. Great.

Meis fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 11, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Finally. They fixed armor to actually work, and crafted weapons are as sucky as they're supposed to be.

Good thing there's a Glitch town nearby to gear up in.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Kyle Hyde posted:

Ah I guess that makes sense. Though it really did seem like the planet just wanted me dead.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Are there patch notes listed anywhere for the hotfix? Now we have two different people saying that armor is and is not working now, I'd like to know if they tried to address it at all or if it was just meant as a weapon rebalance.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely seeing difference in damage with my makeshift set (the ones made with matter blocks). Also helps that it gives +85 hp.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Btw, can you sell things to merchants yet? If so, how?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Yeah, for me I'm still getting the same amount of damage dealt to me at copper armor level as the beginning set. Unless this is how its intended to work, in which case :psyduck:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Octolady posted:

Yeah, for me I'm still getting the same amount of damage dealt to me at copper armor level as the beginning set. Unless this is how its intended to work, in which case :psyduck:

That might just be because copper armor is only marginally better than clothing in the first place.

I just tried getting hit with the T1 glitch set on and then getting hit after taking all my armor off completely, and there was definitely a consistent difference. Armor does seem to work. And shields are definitely still broken.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
e: nevermind

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

That might just be because copper armor is only marginally better than clothing in the first place.

I just tried getting hit with the T1 glitch set on and then getting hit after taking all my armor off completely, and there was definitely a consistent difference. Armor does seem to work. And shields are definitely still broken.

Ah alright, my bad! Still given the amount of copper it takes to craft this thing I thought it might give me a little more survivability against those drat birds :argh:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Huh, that's a funny bug: My poison dagger, in the main hand, does the normal slash with a green tint and poison effect. In the off hand, it shoots the ball that lightning weapons do and does no poison.

I'm guessing the devs still read this thread and I can't really be bothered to make a Starbound Forums account for that one little thing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They added random tomato spawns? I'm seeing tomatoes everywhere, in places where there were none before.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Anyone got some coords to a cool beta planet I could check out? My pixels are low and the avian hell beasts are still tearing me apart in silver armor.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octolady posted:

Ah alright, my bad! Still given the amount of copper it takes to craft this thing I thought it might give me a little more survivability against those drat birds :argh:

I am in Silver Armor now, post-patch, and I am still taking 15 damage from starter planet mobs. Armor is hosed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ViggyNash posted:

They added random tomato spawns? I'm seeing tomatoes everywhere, in places where there were none before.
It's called puberty.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I'd also love to know coords for an avian quartermaster, either in alpha or beta sector. Now that my knives aren't doing 100+ damage anymore, I could really go for some dual pistol action.

Rhjamiz posted:

I am in Silver Armor now, post-patch, and I am still taking 15 damage from starter planet mobs. Armor is hosed.
I think armor is no longer intended to neutralize low-level enemies entirely like it used to. See how much they would be doing to you without any armor on, because starter enemies pretty commonly hit for 25 or more.

GameSaver
Feb 18, 2013

Huh, that's a funny bug: My poison dagger, in the main hand, does the normal slash with a green tint and poison effect. In the off hand, it shoots the ball that lightning weapons do and does no poison.

I'm guessing the devs still read this thread and I can't really be bothered to make a Starbound Forums account for that one little thing.

I think this is the work of the unfinished weapon stance thing or whatever that they've started on; for some two-handed weapons my left and right clicks do different attacks, or have different elemental bonuses which is pretty sweet, frankly. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I thought armor increased health now, not defense?

• Locked thread