Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ViggyNash posted:

Finally. They fixed armor to actually work, and crafted weapons are as sucky as they're supposed to be.

Good thing there's a Glitch town nearby to gear up in.

Is 20 iron bar Sword/Hammer is supposed to be worse than your starting weapon? The Hunting knife is supposed to be Two-Handed now?

I don't know why that second one is weirding me out so much, more than how huge the model for the Hunting "Knife" is.

EDIT: Quote for the new page.

victrix posted:

I thought armor increased health now, not defense?

^^^ Some armor does both now. Though when I last looked at the numbers (Pre "Fix), the Copper armor gave a little more armor, but less health than your starting shirt.

EDIT Two: vvv Some parts (Seems to be Chest in case of Clothing/Copper at least) have a Heart Icon, as well as the shield icon. I'm assuming that's supposed to represent a health boost.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I'd also love to know coords for an avian quartermaster, either in alpha or beta sector. Now that my knives aren't doing 100+ damage anymore, I could really go for some dual pistol action.

I think armor is no longer intended to neutralize low-level enemies entirely like it used to. See how much they would be doing to you without any armor on, because starter enemies pretty commonly hit for 25 or more.

Naked: 15 Damage
Clothing: 15 Damage
Copper: 15 Damage
Iron: 15 Damage
Silver 15 Damage

Armor is not meant to give health in lieu of protection, it is merely a bonus. Else what the hell is that "8 Shield" armor stat for? Why would I care if I can stack it to 20 if it literally does nothing.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

The music is very Morrowind-esque

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rhjamiz posted:

Naked: 15 Damage
Clothing: 15 Damage
Copper: 15 Damage
Iron: 15 Damage
Silver 15 Damage

Armor is not meant to give health in lieu of protection, it is merely a bonus. Else what the hell is that "8 Shield" armor stat for? Why would I care if I can stack it to 20 if it literally does nothing.

I can verify this up to Iron. I also tried it on a couple of different mobs, and they did consistent damage, too. (If they hit me for 17 with iron on, they'd hit me for 17 naked too.)

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Well, I just jumped to a T2 planet.

Armor is DEFINITELY working now. A mob hit me for ~25 with armor, and ~50 without. I have 25 armor. All is well!

e: It appears the damage reduction is not completely linear, which is probably a good thing.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I just tried taking off my 6 points of armor, like before, and now on a different enemy it seems to not be making a difference, or if there is a difference it's only reducing a 16 damage attack to 15.

Earlier I tried it and was taking 13 damage, down from 16 with no armor.

This is loving confusing and is making me think that there might be some enemy attacks which ignore armor (or some which are significantly more affected by it). If so that's pretty annoying.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just The Facts posted:

The music is very Morrowind-esque

There is one song in particular that VERY much reminds me of morrowind. I'll have to find it on the soundtrack later.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any way to salvage items for pixels? I assume that eventually the'll implement merchant item selling, but as of now there's nothing to do with all these crappy weapons I don't need.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is there a guide somewhere that has coords to places that'll help you gear up quickly? I found a planet or two before the wipe that had a chest right near the spawn with weapon upgrades (Level 2 or 3 planets).

That'd be super helpful now that we can't use wood to just bounce around.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Either merchants NPCs are really bugged, or I've just discovered an Avian nudist colony

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I just tried taking off my 6 points of armor, like before, and now on a different enemy it seems to not be making a difference, or if there is a difference it's only reducing a 16 damage attack to 15.

Earlier I tried it and was taking 13 damage, down from 16 with no armor.

This is loving confusing and is making me think that there might be some enemy attacks which ignore armor (or some which are significantly more affected by it). If so that's pretty annoying.

Tested this, it would appear that Armor only works in the Beta Sector so far, which is loving bizarre. Armor has no effect what-so-ever in Alpha Sector.

Party Alarm posted:

Well, I just jumped to a T2 planet.

Armor is DEFINITELY working now. A mob hit me for ~25 with armor, and ~50 without. I have 25 armor. All is well!

e: It appears the damage reduction is not completely linear, which is probably a good thing.

That would be a terrible decision if Armor was a waste of ingots before T2.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Gamma (35699741,-28930981) VII Arid Moon has THREE techs on it. All are to the left. One is in the actual dungeon, two are just on the outside. When you first hear the buzz of electricity, start digging down and follow the contour of the base, you should find two chests outside the walls. I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but it's worth it.

Delta (35699502,-28930822) Majoris II desert has another tech, really close to spawn, just off to the left, on the surface. It's hard to miss.

Time to log on and see what my 13,000DPS titanium weapon got changed to.
Edit: bolding for clarity

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
My 25 armor is working perfectly on these normal mob attacks. I'm pretty sure armor gets less effective the lower damage the initial hit was, to keep people from facerolling stuff from the previous tier with just one or two armor upgrades.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nomikos posted:

Either merchants NPCs are really bugged, or I've just discovered an Avian nudist colony

Working as intented.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
By popular request, my take on a plant fuel mod.

Biofuel!
While I may personally think coal is all well and good, many folks clearly don't. And for you who want more options, there's Biofuel!
This mod lets you build a refinery which can turn planks, logs, and plant fiber into starship fuel. It'll take 2 logs, 8 planks (2 logs worth) or 8 plant fiber to make 1 biofuel can, which counts for 1 point of fuel. Essentially logs are viable again, but only at half efficiency. If you want more (or less), you can simply edit the included files.*

We tried to make it as nice as possible for such a little mod, so we actually added new graphics and an animated refinery, which is really just the forge with a new faceplate. The refinery itself is a bit of an investment originally, but it shouldn't take long to get, and you'll only need one before you're zipping through the cosmos on plant power!

Hope you guys enjoy it! (And Anime Schoolgirl, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. We'd already started on this when we saw you were and we were too into it to back out.)
As always, let me know if anything's broken or needs tweaking.

*I would recommend going into the /recipes/biofuel directory. At the top of all three recipes you'll see a quantity that defines how many are needed for 1 can. You can also change items/biofuelcan/biofuelcan.item at the bottom where it says "fuelAmount: 1" and change that to whatever you want if you just want to multiply its efficiency.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Gamma (35699741,-28930981) VII Arid Moon has THREE techs on it. All are to the left. One is in the actual dungeon, two are just on the outside. When you first hear the buzz of electricity, start digging down and follow the contour of the base, you should find two chests outside the walls. I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but it's worth it.

Delta (35699502,-28930822) Majoris II desert has another tech, really close to spawn, just off to the left, on the surface. It's hard to miss.

Time to log on and see what my 13,000DPS titanium weapon got changed to.
Edit: bolding for clarity

Can you snag these early in the game or do you need to level a bit?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Nice! I wouldn't be surprised if that gets implemented into the game.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rhjamiz posted:

That would be a terrible decision if Armor was a waste of ingots before T2.

Yeah, if that's on purpose they are basically trap options to trick people into wasting valuable iron and that's pretty dumb.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Hope you guys enjoy it! (And Anime Schoolgirl, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. We'd already started on this when we saw you were and we were too into it to back out.)
As always, let me know if anything's broken or needs tweaking.
Mine doesn't have any modified art so it's fine :v:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Doing some armor tests on t2, actually works.

Naked I'm taking 53 damage.
With my t2 racial armor (30 armor total), it was 17.
I edited my armor values to 99 (297 armor total) and I was taking 5-6 damage per.
Edited armor values to 999 (total 2997 armor) and I was blocking everything. Blocked! would pop up on any attack.

Gonna test how it scales, then I'll test energy regen.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 11, 2013

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Party Alarm posted:

My 25 armor is working perfectly on these normal mob attacks. I'm pretty sure armor gets less effective the lower damage the initial hit was, to keep people from facerolling stuff from the previous tier with just one or two armor upgrades.

Yeah, that would make sense if there's just a soft minimum damage to enemy attacks/reduction scaling rather than everything bottoming out at 1 damage once you move up an armor tier or two. It sounds like a pretty good system, too, if that's what they did do, though it does make armor appear kinda useless in the T1 sectors.

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

Musluk posted:

Doing some armor tests on t2, actually works.

Naked I'm taking 53 damage.
With my t2 racial armor, it was 17.
I edited my armor values to 99 (297 armor total) and I was taking 5-6 damage per.
Edited armor values to 999 (total 2997 armor) and I was blocking everything. Blocked! would pop up on any attack.

Gonna test how it scales, then I'll test energy regen.

If that's the case, do shields work by increasing your armor value while blocking? It'd explain why they were so much more useful before, when even small increases to armor made a huge difference.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
And just for the record, for anyone who wants to try their hand at modding: the Biofuel mod took less than an hour start to finish and would have taken even less time except I accidentally re-saved the edited sprites in paint and I had to download GIMP just to get the transparency working so they didn't have big white squares around it. That was honestly the most time-consuming part of the entire project.

Seriously, the modding on this game is going to be incredible once people really sink their teeth into it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Has anyone found a human town? I need seeds and recipes.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

"Eco-friendly fuel" huh? Awesome, now I can clear-cut entire planets with zero guilt! :)

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

And just for the record, for anyone who wants to try their hand at modding: the Biofuel mod took less than an hour start to finish and would have taken even less time except I accidentally re-saved the edited sprites in paint and I had to download GIMP just to get the transparency working so they didn't have big white squares around it. That was honestly the most time-consuming part of the entire project.

Seriously, the modding on this game is going to be incredible once people really sink their teeth into it.

Awesome! Say, could you post this mod on the Starbound official forums, if you haven't already? Some people there are asking for something exactly like it and I'm not sure if the paywall is up here.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

Has anyone found a human town? I need seeds and recipes.

There are no friendly human towns (or Hyotl towns at all.) My guess is friendly humans will be added eventually but the art/design for their areas isn't done yet.

Also, is it just me or is starting out a lot harder due to the faster moving enemies? My starter sword is terrible and crafting a new one isn't easy with so many enemies on my starting world (and a glut of ore it seems.)

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Daeren posted:

A friend linked me this. Co-ordinates to a giant-rear end space elevator tree thing in Alpha sector, with screenshots.

I just checked this out.

The top leads to the very tip of space. There was nothing out there, but as I moved forward...

I found a second monolith. And a third. And a fourth. And then a fifth. The planet is littered with space monoliths.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
My brain extractor is not extracting brains. :(

E: Left planet and came back, it works now?

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Space elevators in sandbox games. Not an uncommon phenomenon, though a poorly understood one.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Has anyone found the plans for grappling hooks yet? I was really looking forward to those :(

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Just starting this game for the first time, is it recommended that I hop in to multiplayer as soon as I learn the basics?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mokinokaro posted:

There are no friendly human towns (or Hyotl towns at all.) My guess is friendly humans will be added eventually but the art/design for their areas isn't done yet.

Also, is it just me or is starting out a lot harder due to the faster moving enemies? My starter sword is terrible and crafting a new one isn't easy with so many enemies on my starting world (and a glut of ore it seems.)

poo poo. I can't find tomatos, carrot, or potatoe.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I'm kind of missing the pre-wipe version. The existing armour and weapon systems really gave a sense of progression to the game, and it goes without saying that the wipe of the character itself had something of an impact, for the hours that I played on him. As things currently stand, it's hard not to feel some trepidation as concerns the conscription of an entirely new character and spending another 30-60 minutes in the "tutorial" portions.

Seppuku Honourgills and I really had a connection, you know? I'll miss my fishman.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

DentedLamp posted:

I'm kind of missing the pre-wipe version. The existing armour and weapon systems really gave a sense of progression to the game, and it goes without saying that the wipe of the character itself had something of an impact, for the hours that I played on him. As things currently stand, it's hard not to feel some trepidation as concerns the conscription of an entirely new character and spending another 30-60 minutes in the "tutorial" portions.

Seppuku Honourgills and I really had a connection, you know? I'll miss my fishman.

They're pretty upfront in saying that if (potentially frequent) character wipes bother you that you should probably hold off on purchasing the game. Beta and whatnot.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Now that I'm in T2 and armor is actually doing something, I'm having a drat good time. Just found a legendary boner mace in the chest and smashing things with it. Hope I get a gun drop soon or run into some argonauts. Trying not to use coords this game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
There's something weird with elites now. They dropped lovely white items for me 3 times in a row. They used to only drop purples and the flying ones greens.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Tech: X (35699551, -28930842) VIII TL10 Forest

Directly to the left of spawn in a underground lab section. Can be seen from surface.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

New update seems to have hosed all the random weapons I had. The craft weapons went down from doing thousands of DPS to doing a normal amount, but the random purple sword I found on a TL 10 planet which was doing 1500 dps now does 9 dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Armor is too weak at the beginning, if it doesn't do anything until Tier 2, there's not much reason to make it other than warmth then.

• Locked thread