Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Does anyone get a memory access error when quitting starbound, and clicking ok on the popup just makes it popup again and you have to force kill the process in task manager?

Vib Rib posted:

If your complaint is that it takes too long, when "grinding" for coal will only cost you maybe two or three minutes for a full interstellar trip, how in the world is offering an even less effective alternative addressing your problem?

This is bullshit. you do not find hundreds of coal in only a couple minutes unless you are absurdly lucky. Even running a lap of my starting world didn't have 100 pieces of coal visible along the surface, yet people speak like it's all over the drat place. Digging and exploring the world for a couple hours got me around 150 pieces. I had around 250 iron, 180 silver, 60 platinum, and 15 diamond. On a starting world.

I know ore is hosed up atm and is over abundant but I'm going to mod the fuel sources in my game if it turns in to Coal Mine Simulator 2013 when I spend an hour or two finding coal just to move to another system.

Maybe if/when we can use stuff like Tar to make fuel it'll be ok. I had over 2k pieces of Tar until I made a lava subway along a large section of my starting planet. I'd much rather be able to convert that (and someone mentioned petroleum?) in to fuel.

But really, ships need an ability to make solar paneling or some other slow charge method. Let fuel be for when you are doing a lot of interstellar movement in a (several?) hour period. It'd be a huge help for sure.

Mondlicht posted:

Still on my first starter planet, I just keep digging down and.. where am I? What will I find? Probably death.

edit: Mining the bricks gives me "smooth tomb brick." Yeah, definitely death down here.

Zombie Bulbasaur is waiting for you down to your right.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Considering to get numerous amounts of it requires building a 5000 tile tower or going to fourth tier planets, I'm not sure why you are expecting people to be fine with spending a lot of time underground to get coal. I don't care if the final build requires 5-10 total wood or 10-20 plant fiber for one fuel unit, just give people multiple viable ways to do things and use (lack of) efficiency to balance it.

Don't forget the dozens/hundreds of campfires you need to make to not freeze to death along the way up that tower.

Plus unless asteroids have an obscene amount of the fuel in them it's likely not worth the time to try and do it is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Edit: ^^ Maybe it's anecdotal, but the last time I went up to the asteroids this patch (This was on a TL10 planet), there was nothing. MAYBE some coal, but I scouted three large asteroids and found one single plutonium ore. No iron. No copper. Nothing. Real pain in the rear end, since you still need iron for a lot of things, and it does not show up past TL4 planets.

Evilreaver posted:

Fie on this new patch! When I try to make a megamanipulator, the game crashes immediately when I try to use it. Has anyone gotten one working?
I did the last run legit, I'm not spending hours getting back there. This game is pretty great, but the start is still awful grindy. Minecraft you can get a base and early equipment together in 5 minutes tops; in Starbound cutting down your first tree is painful and getting your starting cobble to make a pick, UGH. No thanks, once was enough.

I had mine working fine, with a radius of 4 an altradius of 1 (for precision work) and an interval of .005.

I should probably whip up Durasteel weapons or some similar level and go back and fight the slime boss without 15k DPS weapons, oneshotting him to grab the rest of progression for the evening was dissastisfying.

For the person asking about Aegisalt: Read the loving upgrade you made for it, doofus. Aegisalt is found on TL 5/6 planets, Cerulium on 7/8, Rubium on 9/10. It was pretty fast to blow through stuff since all the ores are EVERYWHERE. I think I finished my quick Rubium run (getting 214 ore as fast as possible) with like, 500 diamond or something. Look forward to the tweaks so I don't have a 5x5 area solid with platinum, rubium or diamond..

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
People. Re: Numbers.

Open up your assets folder and look at all the weapon and armor and damage numbers. Now think of whether or not more time needs to be spent making the system work right than making sure all the numbers which might mean nothing next revision are exactly right.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So, I've never had two techs before, but do you really have to go to the inventory screen every time you want to swap between them? One is double-tap left/right and the other is hitting space while in the air but I can't seem to use them both at once - am I incredibly stupid and missing something obvious, or is the tech system actually that badly hosed right now?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shukaro posted:

People. Re: Numbers.

Open up your assets folder and look at all the weapon and armor and damage numbers. Now think of whether or not more time needs to be spent making the system work right than making sure all the numbers which might mean nothing next revision are exactly right.

I was about to say something like this. They've just implemented the first pass of a completely new stat system. Of course everything is going to be hosed up for a while. And there's probably more big changes that need to be made before any fine-tuning can be done, too.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
drat the UFO is super hard to kill now. The bow takes a good 5 shots per block of UFO hp. I beat it, but I went through like 30 bandages and had a screen full of drones by the end

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

MrTheDevious posted:

drat the UFO is super hard to kill now. The bow takes a good 5 shots per block of UFO hp. I beat it, but I went through like 30 bandages and had a screen full of drones by the end

I dug a hole in the ground with a tube I could jump up to hit it when it tried to ground slam, and had a bed in there to sleep in while it shot lasers down.

Just use a weapon with an overhead swing, you'll only take a few hits.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Section Z posted:

Could somebody please explain to me how starting off with this...

Then scroungin up the minimum 56 Iron Ore for the Anvil and crafting one of these for 20 Iron Bars....

My starting weapon has like 5 or 6 dps. Some of the craftable weapons cost more but DPS is not the only worthwhile stat on a weapon. The size of the weapon, type of strike, and swing speed are important. Two weapons can both do 10 dps and be very different in practice.
Either way, the weapons are a big step up. It's naive to say it doesn't need a lot more balancing, and like Dominic and Shukaro have been saying, it's going to take some time to get there, but we're on our way. It doesn't mean the system is inherently broken and we should just throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Later tiers got a lot better, starter tiers got a little worse.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is bullshit. you do not find hundreds of coal in only a couple minutes unless you are absurdly lucky....
Luckily you don't need hundreds of coal for a jump! :eng101:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget the dozens/hundreds of campfires you need to make to not freeze to death along the way up that tower.

Plus unless asteroids have an obscene amount of the fuel in them it's likely not worth the time to try and do it is it?
Craft a winter suit! :eng101:
Why are you worried about time efficiency in this game? It feels to me like a game you should be relaxing in, taking your time, soaking in the calm of the universe. Who cares if it takes time to get to an asteroid, or you have to go traveling underground? Exploring is what the game is all about. If you're just powering through for the fastest way to get to the next planet, the next tier, you're really gonna miss out on a lot.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Tracula posted:

It's almost like this is a beta and they're extremely open to feed back, willing enough to completely redo things that didn't work and god forbid it may break a bit when redoing the damage formula and all of that completely.

This poo poo is stuff they should have worked out in alpha, or even before hand. The fact that they have to redo the entire damage formula while the gmae is up on steam for 15 bucks is pretty telling of how much forethought they've put into this piece of poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

gobbledygoat posted:

This poo poo is stuff they should have worked out in alpha, or even before hand. The fact that they have to redo the entire damage formula while the gmae is up on steam for 15 bucks is pretty telling of how much forethought they've put into this piece of poo poo.

Goons buying unfinished games then throwing tantrums that the game they bought isn't finished yet right here in this thread.

Jesus loving wept.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

gobbledygoat posted:

So you were actually serious before, huh? You're pretty mad about video games.

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

gobbledygoat posted:

Yeah, may be developers shouldn't listen to this forum after all. Holy hell. :stare:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think its just that that particular guy is a retard.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DelphiAegis posted:

Gamma (35699741,-28930981) VII Arid Moon has THREE techs on it. All are to the left. One is in the actual dungeon, two are just on the outside. When you first hear the buzz of electricity, start digging down and follow the contour of the base, you should find two chests outside the walls. I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but it's worth it.

Delta (35699502,-28930822) Majoris II desert has another tech, really close to spawn, just off to the left, on the surface. It's hard to miss.

Time to log on and see what my 13,000DPS titanium weapon got changed to.
Edit: bolding for clarity

Add it to the google doc in the OP if you haven't.

e:

gobbledygoat posted:

This is some gamers.txt poo poo right here. Tweaking combat formulas does occur in betas. This is an actual beta phase, not a 'beta' where you're actually downloading a more or less finished product's demo.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 11, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

gobbledygoat posted:

The entire point of a pre-release version like this is to test what works and what doesn't, and the prime focus in a beta is always balance. They're still messing with the balance. It didn't work, so they fixed it. And you obviously didn't want them to not fix it, so I guess you're just upset that it wasn't already fixed and balanced to begin with?
They're taking huge steps to listen to what players want, and fixing what works, even if it means throwing out chunks of code or re-doing entire segments. That's exactly what I want from developers during a beta. How can you be so mad at that?

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

Goons pay 15 bucks for a broken piece of poo poo, justify purchase by pretending it's okay that they're charging for an alpha.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Game sure crashes a lot on character select since the last patch eh? It takes me upwards of 5 attempts to log into my character. I regret quitting while I found some abc files to play around with on my first instrument.

On the positive, dug straight down for like 10 minutes or something to find a little room with toxic waste and a chest with nothing noteworthy but that violin in it. Was excited for music.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

gobbledygoat posted:

Goons pay 15 bucks for a broken piece of poo poo, justify purchase by pretending it's okay that they're charging for an alpha.

Is this your first time using Steam Early Access?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
so yeah the damage curve isn't keeping up with the armour curve.

First step on a t3 planet, back to oneshots-ville.

gobbledygoat posted:

There's no need to be upset.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

gobbledygoat posted:

Look I know Tiy held a gun to your head and made you buy a game that's still in development, but you'll be ok. Just stop playing until it's more developed. You can use the time to read up on what "Steam Early Access" means.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about

What do they call it again? Sunk cost fallacy?

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
It's more along the lines of, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

gobbledygoat posted:

I paid 15 dollars for a game that looked fantastic but was still in development. I knew exactly what I was getting into.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

gobbledygoat posted:

Actually, I paid for the finished game. The alpha was just a neat bonus! :)

gobbledygoat posted:

Only applies when you can't get your money back, which you can.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

gobbledygoat posted:

Go play some Terraria instead while this gets polished.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

gobbledygoat posted:

I dunno about you, but I read a big official FAQ that said they'd be making major changes and possibly even releasing multiple patches a day in this phase of beta. I thought that's pretty cool, so bought it.

We're four (edit: Sorry, six) days from first release now, and they've released two major updates and a few smaller ones already, including adding whole new gameplay features (Pokemon!) and overhauling areas that are poorly received. That's development happening about a thousand times faster than just about any AAA project. That's goddamn great news for an early beta, as it suggests that things are going to get fixed, and promptly.

But yeah, hey, we're all being ripped off and just don't want to admit it.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I haven't seen a single gun drop in Beta Sector and every boss mob drops a 10 dps poo poo slapper. Anyone have better luck?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
:ssh: 6 days.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Party Alarm posted:

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I haven't seen a single gun drop in Beta Sector and every boss mob drops a 10 dps poo poo slapper. Anyone have better luck?

I have found some actual powerful weaponry from a USCM penal colony. 40-ish DPS two-handers with elemental effects, and a 53 DPS one-hander that shoots projectiles.

Edit: in Alpha sector.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Party Alarm posted:

I've never seen one drop. I just buy them from sky pirates.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Add it to the google doc in the OP if you haven't.

That thing needs some cleaning up, I think. And for someone to go through and see if each planet is still there. And some common formatting. All things I am far, far too lazy to do.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I gotta say after playing for a bit and disposing of my old gear the numbers are much better now.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I dunno about you, but I read a big official FAQ that said they'd be making major changes and possibly even releasing multiple patches a day in this phase of beta. I thought that's pretty cool, so bought it.

We're four days from first release now, and they've released two major updates and a few smaller ones already, including adding whole new gameplay features (Pokemon!) and overhauling areas that are poorly received. That's development happening about a thousand times faster than just about any AAA project.

But yeah, hey, we're all being ripped off and just don't want to admit it.

Haha, I feel like I got ripped off. Vib Rib tell me how to get my money back cause this real bad beta soured me on the finished game, no matter how good it'll be. :shobon:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So I found my first gun in the fourth sector, badass sniper rifle does 80 damage a shot...

It's a flamethrower. It shoots a tiny burst of flame.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

DelphiAegis posted:

Gamma (35699741,-28930981) VII Arid Moon has THREE techs on it. All are to the left. One is in the actual dungeon, two are just on the outside. When you first hear the buzz of electricity, start digging down and follow the contour of the base, you should find two chests outside the walls. I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but it's worth it.

A few pages back, but there is a fourth tech a little ways to the left. This is the best planet.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Section Z posted:

Could somebody please explain to me how starting off with this...

Then scroungin up the minimum 56 Iron Ore for the Anvil and crafting one of these for 20 Iron Bars....

Vib Rib kinda covered it, but those values for the Runwrath are incorrect, and are just a artifact of them not forcing a character wipe like they should have. Correct values are 4 damage per swing and 5 dps.

This applies to most weapons that existed pre-fix, which have had their stats messed up in unexpected ways purely by existing in a modified system from what they existed in before.

And I think Green Marine has noted most people's issue pretty well. Your starting planet means a ton for your initial experience, I'm restarting constantly so I've had some baby tier planets that are all enemies with just a charge attack, along with gobs and gobs of coal and copper. My latest though is Deathworld 6000 the enemies are varied and fairly strong, flying things are flying things, but aren't the most dangerous part, and worst of all it's got silver and gold on the surface -everywhere-, but I can barely scrounge up any iron or coal.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Please make Sewage Blocks use sand/gravel physics. TIA~

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

It's a flamethrower. It shoots a tiny burst of flame.

I'm disappointed in fire in general. I found some molotovs and threw them into a wooden Glitch house and was sad that it did not burn to the ground.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yooooo, how long has thing been a thing.

You can change your expression with the arrow keys.

Up is happy, Down is sad, Left is Angry and Right is scared.

It's like I'm playing Little Big Planet now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

I'm disappointed in fire in general. I found some molotovs and threw them into a wooden Glitch house and was sad that it did not burn to the ground.

Can't wait till that's added.

Nomikos posted:

Please make Sewage Blocks use sand/gravel physics. TIA~

loving GENIUSSSS!

• Locked thread