Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I've been following Shelby on Twitter for like 4 years (soooo, since she was like 17 - creepy) and spend obscene amounts of time on Twitter in general, so love her appearing on anything. So happy Kulap was on an again, clearly the best couple in showbiz. Also, CBB gets sponsored by some random-rear end poo poo, right? I refuse to believe that Shari's Berries is a real business.

Anyone else feel like Horatio Sanz was channeling a little bit of (his good friend) Tim Meadows in that impression?

GraPar fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Howard Hughes isn't that old

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

GraPar posted:

I've been following Shelby on Twitter for like 4 years (soooo, since she was like 17 - creepy) and spend obscene amounts of time on Twitter in general, so love her appearing on anything. So happy Kulap was on an again, clearly the best couple in showbiz. Also, CBB gets sponsored by some random-rear end poo poo, right? I refuse to believe that Shari's Berries is a real business.

Anyone else feel like Horatio Sanz was channeling a little bit of (his good friend) Tim Meadows in that impression?

Shari's berries "sponsors" tons of podcasts in that podcasts can sign up to get referral codes. I'm pretty sure bonobos, warby parker, host gator, are all the same way. The Pepsi max stuff was different where I think they were getting paid more on the listener basis, which is probably better than expecting frugal 18-30 year olds to buy your crap with a referal.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I wouldn't have minded Pepsi at all if it was done as all the other ads with Scott riffing. Instead we got the loving "pop goes goes the pepsi next can" and "earholes" on every podcast for weeks :suicide:

e: No yeah I remember the story...just can't miss an opportunity to shittalk on that drat ad again

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 9, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Zsinjeh posted:

I wouldn't have minded Pepsi at all if it was done as all the other ads with Scott riffing. Instead we got the loving "pop goes goes the pepsi next can" and "earholes" on every podcast for weeks :suicide:

jeffullrich posted:

Here is the previously untold story of Pepsi Next...

It started off great. They were buying a pre-roll for every third Earwolf show in April, May & June. We were going to have say in the copy and I hired the hilarious Chris Cox to do the VO. I was really excited. We could make some money and have a feather in our cap when it came to recruiting bigger sponsors. I was feeling pretty good.

Then they came to record. Great guys, great copy. But it was too long (100 secs to start) and didn't have the same production value or personal voice that we would want. By that time I realized it wasn't really for me to say how it went and the best I could do was to get it down to 65 secs. Which was the bes I could do. Still way too long and didn't really feel like something we would normally do. I was worried, but at that point felt my hands were tied.

The next part was what I think really screwed it up and caused us to have some listeners lose trust: they didn't approve the final file until May 29th or 30th, instead of the end March when we originally planned. When I finally received approval, I said "Okay, we'll start running June 1st through August 30th." I was told that the original timeline couldn't be moved and I was obligated to deliver 3.5 million impressions by June 30th, within Q2. So we had to run a spot that was too long, not enough in our own voice and with a lower production level than we would like...on every show, sometimes more than once, for a full month. It was rough. And the fans were pissed, rightfully so. Many were happy that we had the opportunity, but many were not. They felt betrayed. I understood but didn't think pulling them was a good idea either.

So we all endured. I couldn't say anything publicly because that would be unprofessional, and at the same time the guys we worked with were great and I didn't want to throw them under the bus. I really think it was all of these factors that didn't work, not their copy. So I shut up and took it. Even now, I still hear about it but I learned a lot and won't put myself in a position for that to happen again.

And the listeners have for the most part forgiven us, based on the fact that we are pretty careful about our ads now and vet all the sponsors and spots to make sure they are relevant to a big enough part of our audience so that it makes sense. The key I think is this: Not everyone who listens to Sklarbro Country are interested in buying $90 pants from Bobonos.com. But they understand that plenty of the people in the community are interested. It's when you do spots (reverse mortgages, shady divorce attorneys, et.c) that NO ONE feels the community would benefit from, then it's selling out and no one feels good about that.

Thanks for giving me a chance to explain after all this time!

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Yeah a tough situation, and I thought the spot was pretty good. The easiest way to contribute I think is those amazon referral links, the CBB live shows are worth buying, goony posters, and i'm even getting some warby parker glasses.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Man. Brenden Small was SO loving FUNNY as those two characters. Solid earlier bits with Garbus and Birbigs, too. I haven't laughed that hard at new CBB characters in a while. Immediately one of my best of the year, which sucks, since it probably isn't eligible until next year, right?

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Man. Brenden Small was SO loving FUNNY as those two characters. Solid earlier bits with Garbus and Birbigs, too. I haven't laughed that hard at new CBB characters in a while. Immediately one of my best of the year, which sucks, since it probably isn't eligible until next year, right?

The polls opened like a week ago, it ends with Will Forte's episode

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I hate Shelby Fero because she is younger and funnier than me.

Really happy to see her on CBB, look forward to listening. My only podcast experience with her was on Analyze Fish, her You Made It Weird episode, and an episode of Rafflecast. Wanna hear more of her.

EDIT: Oh man I really, really hope that Shelby Fero had only read the word "suffragettes" and never heard it said out loud.

cams fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 9, 2013

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

cams posted:

I hate Shelby Fero because she is younger and funnier than me.

Really happy to see her on CBB, look forward to listening. My only podcast experience with her was on Analyze Fish, her You Made It Weird episode, and an episode of Rafflecast. Wanna hear more of her.

EDIT: Oh man I really, really hope that Shelby Fero had only read the word "suffragettes" and never heard it said out loud.

Shelby Fero was on an episode of JJGo a few months ago. She's annoyingly funny for her age.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Holy poo poo was that a fun episode.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Kro-Bar posted:

Shelby Fero was on an episode of JJGo a few months ago. She's annoyingly funny for her age.
These two guys just talk about these things while Shelby sits there in silence. I don't care for this.

And yeah this was a very, very fun episode of Comedy Bang Bang. Still laughing about "sufragits"

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I would like a podcast that it PFT listening to this episode and laughing.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
All 3 of this week's guests were good background laughers, that makes every episode better.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
MY WIFE!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Why do some Drac-ul-as

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Former girlfriend.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Kro-Bar posted:

Just scrolled my mouse over that link, saw the episode title and laughed like an idiot all over again about that moment of the show.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Also it may just be because the light source is hitting him in that photo but... Scott may actually be whiter than Shelby. That is impressive.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shelby completely no-selling Scott's Vampire Weekend joke in the beginning was perfect.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I remember PFT making or riffing off a very similar joke before. Weird how that reference triggered for a mid-40s dude but not her.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Here's Bill Burr cracking up as he slowly realizes how ridiculous the Shari's Berries ad copy is. This is great:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rl5JDzvkEA0

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 11, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's amazing, I wish I could've seen my face when I heard Scott say a handful of loving strawberries was gonna cost me $20. What an absolute crock of poo poo, I feel bad because nobody in their right mind is going to bother buying this and it's a waste of advertisement space.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that's amazing, I wish I could've seen my face when I heard Scott say a handful of loving strawberries was gonna cost me $20. What an absolute crock of poo poo, I feel bad because nobody in their right mind is going to bother buying this and it's a waste of advertisement space.

I guarantee some people will. Just be glad that Pajamagram isn't advertising with Earwolf yet. I've heard it on FM radio and the copy is so ridiculous that not even the people reading it can keep a straight face.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I did buy some Shari's Berries for my girlfriend last year after they started advertising on the Indoor Kids and the strawberries are actually pretty huge and not bad at all. It's a good holiday thing. I sound like a shill but whatever!

The only major major issue was their shipping is hideously expensive and being a frequent Amazon Prime user having to eat $10 shipping for strawberries hurt me in my soul.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 11, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I guarantee some people will. Just be glad that Pajamagram isn't advertising with Earwolf yet. I've heard it on FM radio and the copy is so ridiculous that not even the people reading it can keep a straight face.

I don't know what you're talking about because that sounds hilarious and I want them to start being a sponsor of CBB immediately.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Andy Daly's show Review finally got a premiere date: February 27th

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

To be fair, the strawberries are covered in so much chocolate and candy that each berry looks about 5 pounds. Maybe I just smoke too much weed, but if anyone would like to send some Shari's Berries to me for Xmas, that'd be cool.

1-866 FRUIT!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Andy Daly's show Review finally got a premiere date: February 27th

Everyone should watch this. It's based on an Australian show, which was great in itself, but it can only be improved by the involvement of Andy Daly. The original alternated between silly and pretty dark comedy so it'll be interesting to see if they stick with that tone.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

tnimark posted:

Everyone should watch this. It's based on an Australian show, which was great in itself, but it can only be improved by the involvement of Andy Daly. The original alternated between silly and pretty dark comedy so it'll be interesting to see if they stick with that tone.

I can't imagine a show created by Andy Daly not having some dark elements.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Considering that the logline for the series has mentioned reviewing "the harrowing experience of murder" since it was announced (in...2011,) I think that dark elements are a safe bet

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Considering that the logline for the series has mentioned reviewing "the harrowing experience of murder" since it was announced (in...2011,) I think that dark elements are a safe bet

This is good news. I hadn't really read any of the press.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It could also mean Paul F. Tompkins does his Richard Harrow character.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Mozi posted:

It could also mean Paul F. Tompkins does his Richard Harrow character.

...boo.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Now is that because you don't like the character or some kind of ghost thing?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

MYYYYYYYY CREEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEESSSSSS

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Black cat walking your path

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
good lord it never gets old
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F1Ax51UdZE

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Do we think the first ep of the countdown is this week? Maybe Christmas special this week and then the countdown the two proceeding weeks? I just love Scott and Paul hanging out, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

epitasis posted:

Do we think the first ep of the countdown is this week? Maybe Christmas special this week and then the countdown the two proceeding weeks? I just love Scott and Paul hanging out, really.

Tomorrow is the Christmas special (confirmed at the end of last week's episode), then I'd say the rest of the year is probably the two parts of 2013 Best Of since there are only 3 Mondays left in the year.