Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Hacking the file to make the Matter Manipulator crazy good is the only way to go for me. .001 fire speed with a 4x4 area. Its making exploring much quicker because those lower levels of planetary crust really have a lot of those small chests and good ore.

The best part is coming upon a prison and strip mining it of its sweet textures in ten minutes. Thanks for the glass, boys! I may have trivialized their little electricity jumping puzzle but it was worth it because now my house has a roof covered in lightning.

Do those traps not hurt enemies though? I had a buzzsaw trap and stuff just walked through it, but I've seen stuff die to magma so clearly some environmental stuff hurts enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

PaybackJack posted:

Hacking the file to make the Matter Manipulator crazy good is the only way to go for me. .001 fire speed with a 4x4 area. Its making exploring much quicker because those lower levels of planetary crust really have a lot of those small chests and good ore.

The best part is coming upon a prison and strip mining it of its sweet textures in ten minutes. Thanks for the glass, boys! I may have trivialized their little electricity jumping puzzle but it was worth it because now my house has a roof covered in lightning.

Do those traps not hurt enemies though? I had a buzzsaw trap and stuff just walked through it, but I've seen stuff die to magma so clearly some environmental stuff hurts enemies.

Yeah buzzsaws don't hurt, people were using environmental poo poo as weapons since it tends to be pretty vicious.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Alpha Intrapillium Minorus I a X: 29036792 Y: 9037718

Utterly HUGE undergound avian tomb structure on this one, head right for a while, you might have to dig down around some soft sand/water (it's how I found it) or if you go left you'll find it in a huge overhanging cave.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Level 10 planets seem to have more ore than you will ever need. The whole surface of a moon I went to was ore pocket after ore pocket. Solarium, Uranium, Plutonium, Diamond, Rubium, Coal, Gold, Silver, Platinum even some copper.

Of course I am not sure what I am supposed to do at this point because theres no content at level 10.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Robo Bot was feeling good after he raided that Dungeon and got some sweet new weapons along with a microphone. He continued on his travels, marveling at just how many trees and vines there were. But then an unsettling feeling began to set in, as he traveled farther... and farther... and farther... Realizing he had probably traveled at least half the world by now past that Fortress (to the left of his spawn, when prior exploration and ore digging had been to the right of spawn).

WHERE HAS ALL THE ORE GONE!? I went a little crazy in that screenshot, but this is the result of about 1/2 to 2/3 the surface and caverns on my starting world. Plenty of trees and flowers above, Shitloads of vines below, and fuckall else. I guess all those blobs of iron earlier were lulling me into a false sense of security, because I have not seen a single scrap of anything since going past that dungeon to the left of my spawn.

I'm kind of weirded out this has turned up right after I thought my luck turned around finally getting items. I also have only gotten 19 leather across my entire life, despite killing every animal that isn't an immediate "blender it now!" in my face threat to existence. Because the world orbiting my starter is a snow world, but at least there are more in this solar system. My first pass at the game pre wipe, my starting world and it's orbiting snow world were IT for spawn star.

EDIT: vvv I put my offhand sword in the "R" tab slot on the hotbar. That's the item you use when you have a one handed item as your other hotbar stuff. (pre wipe, it was nice to have a shield there, flashlight + shield!).

Edit Two: Oh lord. I have legit circled the globe.

1 minute to the left from spawn, is the big dungeon. 1 minute to the right of spawn (and down down down) is where my prior explorations had taken me which got me a generous chunk of Iron and copper and tiny bit of Coal (I'm down to like 130). My Iron stockpile wasn't helped by making one of almost every weapon, and two of the 10 bar one handers.

Anywhere past 1 minute out from spawn in my circling the surface and examining every natural crevice has been devoid of Ore. But hey, at least in one of my insane "DIG DEEPER! THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING!" moments I found a pulse jump schematic in a tech chest.

However, Moving on to the ice world had 7 pieces of gold right by the spawn. Tomorrow should be a good day.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Okay I feel like an idiot but how do I put something in my offhand when I am using a one handed weapon. I want to carry either my sword and a flashlight or a shield but I can't figure out how to equip it.

Edit: aaaaah thanks.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 11, 2013

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

HOARDERSHIP WILL FLY AGAIN (configuration not final)

I have attained this insane feat with a mere one-coal jump from my starting planet.

Its large desert neighbor is home to boneyards, a single random Floran, and is generally terrible for surfmining since there's very little surface fine sand.

However! There are SEVEN identical Apex labs with two guards and sixteen Miniknog lockers each, for a total of 112. As you can see in the screenshot, I HAVE SPARES.

-6153737 -24841239 Alpha Rotanev Minoris I
Big desert planet, land and head straight left.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Are you just mining? Like that's what you're playing the game for at the moment because of lack of content? You mine then there is a wipe and you mine some more? Because at the moment all the content seems to be ore's and furniture.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

HOARDERSHIP WILL FLY AGAIN (configuration not final)

I have attained this insane feat with a mere one-coal jump from my starting planet.

Its large desert neighbor is home to boneyards, a single random Floran, and is generally terrible for surfmining since there's very little surface fine sand.

However! There are SEVEN identical Apex labs with two guards and sixteen Miniknog lockers each, for a total of 112. As you can see in the screenshot, I HAVE SPARES.

-6153737 -24841239 Alpha Rotanev Minoris I
Big desert planet, land and head straight left.

If you take down the lights you can have MORE LOCKERS!

Also has anyone found a pirate ship in sector X? The google doc in the OP is all wrong since the update.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Help help I don't understand sandbox games.

Maybe you should play something less open ended?

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

RIP Dirt Castle

It died for my sins so that Stone Castle could rise in its place.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone else notice that electric and poison weapons do the other one when you use them in the right hand?

It works extra well with a twohander since you can just laft or right click to get the desired effect!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Drills need significant buffing. I was expecting them to be the teir up from pick axes with a little overlap judging by the resource cost, but dire-stone is still as tedious as ever.

ALSO: X Zeta Cep 39 VI: COORDS X:96332719 Y:-49500682

To the right just near the surface easily visible from the surface is a targeted blink tech crate.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 11, 2013

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Appreciating that it's early beta, I'm finding melee combat really unsatisfying. The delay on swinging a weapon and the restriction on aiming make it really unengaging. Hope it's something that changes.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Esposito posted:

Appreciating that it's early beta, I'm finding melee combat really unsatisfying. The delay on swinging a weapon and the restriction on aiming make it really unengaging. Hope it's something that changes.

They were testing aimed weapons the other day in a stream. So it's probably coming at some point.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I started a new character last night since the patch retired Cool Hand Fluke back to the ocean to live out the rest of his life in peace and quiet. I was expecting the newly-created Wyatt Earth to embark on a lonely journey of existential solitude, what with his homeworld being gone and all, but about ten seconds left of spawn on my starting planet I wandered into a thriving Avian village and immediately felt at home.

These dudes are just chill as hell. The first thing they said was, "always nice to see a Human," followed by about a dozen of them propositioning my pompadour-sporting hero to run away together. They're avowedly atheist and talk as though they see a lot of travelers (and presumably attempt to elope with all of them I guess). Also, nearly everybody is bare-rear end naked, despite the fact that they run a lovely open-air market containing many clothing stores (maybe they have rules against sampling the merchandise??). A lot of the market stalls have no actual wares for some reason, including the one run by naked bright pink identical twin sisters who speak in unison, but I just assume they're selling something Wyatt wouldn't recognize or know how to use. Apart from a single, specific guard who doesn't seem to trust me, the locals are incredibly friendly - one of them followed me around for a bit and asked if some Humans had wings, and another excitedly said that we should write a novel together :3:

I found tons of lore and grabbed a few pieces of furniture for my ship, which has now become a cozy little sanctuary full of adopted Avian styles. I bought the blueprints for candied corn, too! Tragically, horrible demon bats attacked the edge of the marketplace and killed a few guards, a couple of passersby, and the amiable fruit seller lady. I attempted to fight them with an axe I grabbed from a guard's body, but with only my black leather jacket and blue jeans to protect me, I narrowly came away alive. At least the demon bats were distracted long enough to flutter away from the village.

I'ma build a cottage here and just live with these guys. Sure, I'll go on space adventures, but when I come back to my ship with all manner of treasures and curiosities, I'm going to fly home, put them in my house, and show them off to my cool birdpeople friends. Gonna buy some Avian clothes and adopt the local style of dress (i.e. walk around in the buff because gently caress you Kluex I'm not wearing your leg prisons). If I get access to NPC spawners, maybe I'll invite some other Humans to move in and bolster the population, create a rainbow coalition of expatriate chilldudes. I'm also going to build a glass roof over the village to keep those damned hellbats away from my homies :colbert:

This game is wonderful.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 11, 2013

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Have there been mentions of water-only/ocean planets/biomes? Ocean planets that require diving gear or something similar in order to survive/explore the bottom.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Have there been mentions of water-only/ocean planets/biomes? Ocean planets that require diving gear or something similar in order to survive/explore the bottom.

Yes. They're coming. They're also the home of hylotl' settlements.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

gently caress birds, man.

The moment I got into the airship on the co-ordinates someone gave me, birds immediately murdered almost all of the crew on the top deck, including the quartermaster. I don't think I could have saved him even if I'd dashed up there as quickly as possible.

All I want is to buy a loving gun, and maybe some blueprints. Does anyone else have co-ordinates for a pirate ship? Alpha or Beta, either works just as well.

e: On the bright side, one of the pirates apparently dropped a 172 dps lightning axe.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Is there a mod to make a hat that I can put in my social slot so I can see my character's head while I have actual armor on?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

djw175 posted:

Is there a mod to make a hat that I can put in my social slot so I can see my character's head while I have actual armor on?

There's a monocle that already exists which does that, so long as you don't mind a lens on one eye. Assuming there's not some way to edit items directly into your inventory (I haven't seen one), you could probably edit the starting inventory with one, make a new character and then drop it on some planet for your main character to pick up

e:

Ak Gara posted:

How come that list of cool locations has zero entries for the Delta sector?
Pretty sure Delta just got added with the combat rehaul patch, so most people haven't even made it to that point.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 11, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
How come that list of cool locations has zero entries for the Delta sector?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

gently caress birds, man.

The moment I got into the airship on the co-ordinates someone gave me, birds immediately murdered almost all of the crew on the top deck, including the quartermaster. I don't think I could have saved him even if I'd dashed up there as quickly as possible.

All I want is to buy a loving gun, and maybe some blueprints. Does anyone else have co-ordinates for a pirate ship? Alpha or Beta, either works just as well.

e: On the bright side, one of the pirates apparently dropped a 172 dps lightning axe.
Yeah, NPCs seem to die instantly if a monster spits at them. I had a glitch villager die on me when I dodged a monster's attack and it hit him instead.

Maybe this is an overreaction to the "summon boss on top of Avian ship" thing?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

djw175 posted:

I saw someone reference an "Emperor's New Clothes" mod that adds cosmetic armor with no graphics, but I'm not sure where it was.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

djw175 posted:

I haven't tried it, but yes: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/the-empress-new-clothes-invisible-cosmetic-items.41030/

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Zereth posted:

Yeah, NPCs seem to die instantly if a monster spits at them. I had a glitch villager die on me when I dodged a monster's attack and it hit him instead.

Maybe this is an overreaction to the "summon boss on top of Avian ship" thing?

Nah, it's definitely just a quirk of balance issues as they are right now. They're already aware that bird enemies are unbalanced, and in general, monster damage is meant to scale up against a player who is building armor, while NPCs are unarmored and often have similar health to monsters of their sector level.

Hopefully it'll be much less of a problem once they scale flyer damage back to where it should be, and if it keeps being an issue I expect they'd lower the flyer aggro radius again, or maybe even do something more dramatic like give NPCs damage reduction against monsters or prevent monsters from immediately becoming aggressive towards NPCs.

e: ew.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 11, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tentacle planet music is pretty cool, I hope they expand tentacle planets to be the ultimate death worlds and also really really weirdly alien.

It'd fit so good. I'm thinking whole settlements with tentacle infestation, pustual bombs, aggressive flagella ect

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Nah, it's definitely just a quirk of balance issues as they are right now. They're already aware that bird enemies are unbalanced, and in general, monster damage is meant to scale up against a player who is building armor, while NPCs are unarmored and often have similar health to monsters of their sector level.

Hopefully it'll be much less of a problem once they scale flyer damage back to where it should be, and if it keeps being an issue I expect they'd lower the flyer aggro radius again, or maybe even do something more dramatic like give NPCs damage reduction against monsters or prevent monsters from immediately becoming aggressive towards NPCs.

e: ew.

If you cut those down they drop gross flesh DELICIOUS BACON

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 11, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Welp

That's it.

I found crystal plants.

Time to literally farm my way to a fortress of solitude decked out in rainbow wood furnitre.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to need them to fix birds before I play anymore. No deaggro range, 2-hit killing me on a starter planet with flame breaths and lightning bolts, fly faster than me, and always seem to attack me when I'm attacking something else. The only way I have found to deal with them is to build a little hovel around myself while I wait for them to fly off screen.

Also my starter planet seems to have no surface coal, but I've found 10 gold bars and over 40 silver bars and 15 iron bars.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 11, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Can anyone tell me how to cut the energy loss from grappling hooks? Its pretty lovely, I can blink wherever I'm looking twice in a row for one energy bar or get a few seconds of grappling time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SlayVus posted:

Also my starter planet seems to have no surface coal, but I've found 10 gold bars and over 40 silver bars and 15 iron bars.

I've noticed coal seems to be less common than ores, though there's still a reasonable amount of it. And I found a fair bit of platinum and diamond just mining near the core of my starting world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can use coal and wood to power your god drat space ship. Sometimes this game is obtuse in the dumbest ways ever. :cripes:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Coal and iron have gotten rarer than they were previous, at least on Gamma systems. Meanwhile everything else is freely available, I've ended up with full stacks of gold and diamonds from just a few planets.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

CJacobs posted:

You can use coal and wood to power your god drat space ship. Sometimes this game is obtuse in the dumbest ways ever. :cripes:

Doc Brown powered a time machine with some garbage, it's the future. It does something futuristic to the atoms of the wood/coal, whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CJacobs posted:

Well, you can't use wood anymore. And boy does that make things more difficult.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, you can't use wood anymore. And boy does that make things more difficult.

But you can use... the power of modding! It's easy to assign a fuel value back to wood or pretty much any other item. In my case, tar blocks now function as fuel. Sort of makes sense, right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, knockback in these kinds of games is always the worst. I'm spelunking like mad (plenty of ores! but not enough coal for torches and fuel :argh:), and some tiny little poo poo shoots a murder ball that launches me like a goddamn mortar round. And just like a mortar round, I exploded on landing.

I really hope they tweak the combat a lot more. Fighting basic poo poo like chargers and body-slammers feels like a chore since they got like Doom-esque levels of acceleration and have a tendency to keep moving forward even after you land a hit. It's good that bandages are so cheap because drat, I don't even bother trying to dodge since the terrain is more than likely not to your advantage.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Anyone had any luck getting Superior Brains? We didn't have much problem getting one before the wipe, but this time.. oof..
Tell me about it. I posted a dozen pages back that I had tried different planets, relogging, guys above ground, below ground, nothing was working. Finally took me 396 inferior brains before I got one, and got 4 more inferior after that just to round it out to 400. Something was seriously stuck in my RNG.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

toasterwarrior posted:

I really hope they tweak the combat a lot more. Fighting basic poo poo like chargers and body-slammers feels like a chore since they got like Doom-esque levels of acceleration and have a tendency to keep moving forward even after you land a hit. It's good that bandages are so cheap because drat, I don't even bother trying to dodge since the terrain is more than likely not to your advantage.

What I really hate is when you land a killing blow on an enemy and it hits you during its invincibility frames before it poofs away and drops its loot. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Things that need to be: 3d printer should be able to copy all of the boss crafting stations so once you have one you can make more. This would make colonization a lot more fun and viable.

• Locked thread