Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
If you're using an airbrush, I've had decent luck with Vallejo Surface Primer. You just want to make sure not to apply it too heavily, and give it extra drying time. (I've also had weird issues with some GW washes on Vallejo/Bonesium, but further research suggests that might be a problem with the wash itself.)

e: Dammit, top of the page. Here are some (lousy pictures) of my painted Bones from the oath thread:

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
I live in Australia though so most of those products are like $30+, and I expect my normal spray won't dry properly, as you mentioned.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been looking at this model thinking it couldn't possibly paint good, and now I want to build a Kings of War army around him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He's going to be a character in my Tomb Kings army, if/when I ever get around to painting him.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I live in Australia though so most of those products are like $30+, and I expect my normal spray won't dry properly, as you mentioned.

What about Tamiya Fine Surface Primer? That might actually be similar in price to what it costs in the U.S. and while it's a *little* bit pricey It's the next best thing to priming by hand with an airbrush. Really; if you find that none of the aerosols float your boat, airbrush priming is fantastic.

If you do end up trying Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, remember that it needs a very special finesse. Do the first coat light and within 6-8" and then dust with a coat from 8-12". The first "close" coat can create a sheen that repels paint. Yeah, I know; primer repelling paint? No problem, the second dusting gives it the super tooth while still looking VERY smooth.

Why the close 1st coat? Less paint waste.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Seconding the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer love, don't know how it reacts with Bones, but it's a drat good spray primer.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

If it's worth the extra effort to save some money, brushing on the Vallejo Surface Primer works too. Just use a rather cheap brush to do the job. I've applied this primer with both brush and airbrush, it's great in both cases and I don't see any difference in the end result.

I will agree with Dr. Gargunza that it requires extra drying/curing time. Handling the models too soon can peel little bits of the primer off rather easily, but given extra time it won't come off unless you want it to.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I'm in the process of prepping and painting SpaceInvader's Kaladrax reborn model, but his back leg (Kaladrax, not SpaceInvader) is sticking out like he's peeing on some adventurers. It's easy enough to reset, but I can't find any good pictures of what position to put it in. Even in the Reaper pictures he has hover leg. Anyone been able to reset it in a decent position?

If not I can get build a piece of ruins to rest his little leg on that you can take on and off the base, but if I can just find a way to bend it that would be easier.

I guess I could have it so Kaladrax is scratching his ear like a dog...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Got an email last night informing me that the pledge manager is officially on, so you can modify/finalize your pledge. But be sure you're done when you finalize, because there's no going back after that!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finalized my pledge today with less stuff than I want. drat Christmas for requiring my cash for other people!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I ended up adding three more bags of 1" bases because I need a poo poo ton of them and that's a good price.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lethemonster posted:

I'm in the process of prepping and painting SpaceInvader's Kaladrax reborn model, but his back leg (Kaladrax, not SpaceInvader) is sticking out like he's peeing on some adventurers. It's easy enough to reset, but I can't find any good pictures of what position to put it in. Even in the Reaper pictures he has hover leg. Anyone been able to reset it in a decent position?

If not I can get build a piece of ruins to rest his little leg on that you can take on and off the base, but if I can just find a way to bend it that would be easier.

I'm reasonably OK with the hover leg TBH, I noticed it when I test fit the model.

Just dunking it in boiling water for 30 sec or so would soften it enough to move around, but for a part like that it may be better to cut and pin it, because bending not at the joint would be a risk.

(You rock btw)

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Lethemonster posted:

This was a concept art to render issue. The intent was for Kaladrax to be crouching and slinking his leg forward, but the 2D art translation into 3D ended up with the "lifting the leg to pee" pose.

I've heard a few folks talk about modeling rocks up to it so it looks like a leg gripping and pushing off from a rock formation.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The next Kickstarter wave should include a giant bonesium fire hydrant.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I keep getting emails from the reaper kickstarter saying "OMG you need to do the pledge calculator stuff or we can't send you anything!" but I've already done it ages ago, and when I go to the calculator, I just see the invoice. I assume they're just sending these notices to everyone via kickstarter, but I'm worried I'm missing something. Is anyone else getting these in spite of having filled out the info and locking in their reward?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

I keep getting emails from the reaper kickstarter saying "OMG you need to do the pledge calculator stuff or we can't send you anything!" but I've already done it ages ago, and when I go to the calculator, I just see the invoice. I assume they're just sending these notices to everyone via kickstarter, but I'm worried I'm missing something. Is anyone else getting these in spite of having filled out the info and locking in their reward?

That was the single kickstarter email they get to send out. Everyone got it, to remind everyone to finish up their order.

Plenty of people aren't in the loop or paying attention, and think what they chose with the pledge manager months ago was the end of it. They gotta send mass messages for those types.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Weird, I've gotten two of them, I think. One with a green "action required" header, the latest with an orange one.

e: yeah, one from the 23rd:

and one from today:

I'm worried the next one will be red :ohdear:

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I've gotten two of them as well, so you're not alone at least.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
That is not the pledge manager, that is the ks survey. You should probably submit it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

neongrey posted:

That is not the pledge manager, that is the ks survey. You should probably submit it.

The ks survey is just "We have to put a question here, as it's not really a survey, just a reminder to finalize your pledge."

I only got the first email, because I filled out the "survey". The 2nd might be for those that didn't do that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh oh ohhhhhhh, I see now. I didn't see the tiny little "We don't need this survey but you need to answer something so we get the results" field at the bottom. I was just reading the thing and going to the linked pledge manager as instructed. The "survey" at the bottom is totally invisible to my web-desensitized eyes. :(

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Whoops, same thing here. Thanks thread :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I hope too many people don't get their stuff screwed up because of that. I mean, it's a full page of text saying "go to our pledge manager and lock that stuff in!" followed by a thanks and a signature as if the whole message is done, and below all that is ONE LINE of text with a form field, and no mention of it above, it's SUPER easy to miss because that space is usually reserved for copyright boilerplate and such.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I don't suppose anyone happens to have a dupe of the Pathfinder Red Dragon's head they would be willing to part with? Between oathing and getting round to painting mine seems to have become irretrievably lost D:

E: found it. Thanks anyway.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So how can I get the pledge calculator to take into account what I've already pledged through Kickstarter?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
It should already do so, if you're using the same e-mail you used for Kickstarter. If it isn't, give Reaper an e-mail.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I locked in my pledge today. What I already paid in the KS didn't show up until I hit the calculate. Then when I checked out it only charged me he difference.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looking at finalising my pledge by the end of the week; does anyone know if buying any extra bases is worth it or necessary? Planning to get base + 1 + 2 and maybe a couple stretch extras

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I bought like 4 bags total of 1" bases, but I have a project for them and need a ton. Best I can tell, they're a good deal, but not a mind-glowingly good deal.

But really, be honest with yourself: you're going to paint MAYBE 25% of the minis you get out of this, a bag of ~50 should be more than enough. ;)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm going back and forth over finalizing the pledge. As an international backer, it's way harder than last time, given that any option also bring a very sizeable increase in the shipping. A 15 dollar spider is not as tempting when it's got 13 dollar of shipping tacked on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They must have taken quite a bath on the last one, since international backers only paid the pre-hike rate on it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I have no doubt that if the same result had happened to a non-well-established company, or an individual, it would have ended like so many kickstarters: "Sorry, we ran out of money! Ciao!" and we wouldn't have all these unpainted plastic monsters. Fortunately, Reaper (assumedly) had a war chest to dip into, or at least was able to secure a good-sized loan to cover what was needed.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They released their numbers for the last KS and Reaper came out very slightly in the green cash wise, and had a brand new bones casting machine in their garage to boot. This KS is more about profit, not that there is anything wrong with that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
They made a profit, but the shipping increase (not only international) ate more of it than they expected. Still, it wasn't like they were losing money on the Kickstarter.

I'll probably just go for one of the 50 dollar sets, and pick a few extras separately from the core box.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Popping in to see how prompt the shipping was on the last kickstarter. If I got one of the later waves of shipping, is it actually going to arrive in December?

I ask because I was thinking of using some minis as a Christmas gift, but shelling out for a core set and not having it arrive on time would be disappointing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Shipping was late. However, they're using the numbers from the last Kickstarter to plan the numbers this time. If things go as planned, you'll get your minis much earlier than December. December assumes things go wrong.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, with the limited-entry waves they did and the fact that they're making all their bones minis in-house now, I'd be pretty surprised if products were shipped out late.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, with the limited-entry waves they did and the fact that they're making all their bones minis in-house now, I'd be pretty surprised if products were shipped out late.

Except they're not making them all inhouse. They're making a lot of their retail bones inhouse, but this kickstarter is shipping over from China.

They've only got one bones making machine, it can't handle the order a kickstarter demands. They're trying to get more of those machines.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Really? I thought they'd given China the boot altogether. Huh. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It took ten machines working full time to fulfill Bones 1. Thomas just isn't gonna cut it by himself. Most of the molds are still in China. I'm fairly sure the only thing they're doing with him now is making the bases. This is to help them get a handle on how Thomas works, so that they'll be ready when it's time to move production home. However, we're still ages away from that.

To clarify a bit on the KS1 shipping: They were funded August 25 2012. They intended to get the metal Sophie figures and the paints shipped out in September, then start shipping Bones in March 2013, finishing April or May.

This didn't happen. First of all, they hadn't talked things over enough with their regular suppliers for the bottles. They could produce the paint (they make their paint in-house), but they couldn't get the bottles in sufficient numbers for fulfillment. So, the September shipping never happened. In March, they did indeed start shipping a few packages, but this slowed down and stopped. We later found out that they had done the shipping from China in waves. Done right, and this would never have become visible to backers. Unfortunately, there were delays. The Chinese factory fell a bit behind in producing and shipping miniatures. Shipping became a huge bottleneck, as minis were stuck in customers for extended lengths of time. Miniatures that were supposed to arrive early, to help finish up packages, arrived much later in the chain. To be fair, Reaper had said that March assumed no such difficulties, and that they couldn't control customs. However, they were slow to admit when things were going wrong, and we often didn't have much information on what was going on, until after the fact. I think we found out about the waves in May or June. The last packages shipped out in August. It was a bit less than a year when they were finally done.

This time around, they're assuming things are going to go wrong. In fact, the dates on the waves assume that they'll go much more wrong than in the initial Kickstarter, with the first wave not going out until eleven months after the end of the Kickstarter, and the last wave going out 14 months afterwards. They also have a better handle on how the logistics will work out. This time, they're not doing anything they haven't done before. So I'd feel reasonably safe in expecting those miniatures in time for Christmas. I'm personally expecting them fairly early, though how much is unsure at this point.

• Locked thread