Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SlayVus posted:

I think I'm going to need them to fix birds before I play anymore. No deaggro range, 2-hit killing me on a starter planet with flame breaths and lightning bolts, fly faster than me, and always seem to attack me when I'm attacking something else. The only way I have found to deal with them is to build a little hovel around myself while I wait for them to fly off screen.

Also my starter planet seems to have no surface coal, but I've found 10 gold bars and over 40 silver bars and 15 iron bars.

You're in luck: FRUSTRATED KOALA - RAMPAGING BIRDS FIX

Let us know how well that works/whether it bricks your save. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Motherfucker posted:

Things that need to be: 3d printer should be able to copy all of the boss crafting stations so once you have one you can make more. This would make colonization a lot more fun and viable.

I've yet to get the 3D Printer to copy a single item. :(

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Ugh, I wanted to try that Sandbox Ship mod, but it's bricked my Starbound install twice in a row. All I did was replace my shipworld file with the one included, and my Starbound will refuse to start.

Replacing it with the original save game? Doesn't work.
Deleting all the character files? Doesn't work.

I had to delete the whole Starbound folder, then hit "Delete Local Content" from inside Steam, then reinstall.
I'm going to wait for some more official-looking mods before trying anything like that again.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ak Gara posted:

Do you have enough pixels to scan them in? I had a huge library of furniture, posters, and miscellaneous decorations pre-wipe, but only once I'd amassed a ridiculous quantity of pixels by exploring a couple of crazy dungeons. If you don't have enough pixels (or if the item can't be scanned for whatever reason), it just doesn't do anything when you press the button. A little "NOT ENOUGH PIXELS TO SCAN" or "UNABLE TO SCAN THIS ITEM" message would be very helpful.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

XboxPants posted:

Frustrated Koala, Rampaging Birds is a great band name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I had assumed that 'Fuel' was an actual item I'd need to craft out of other fuel-like items, not just shove coal in the thing. Maybe that's my fault for overestimating the game with three buttons that all open the same crafting menu. I love this game but jesus christ it can be real dumb.

edit: Maybe dumb's not the right word. Unintuitive, I guess.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ak Gara posted:

Seems like its a bit bugged right now - I scanned in a Toxic Chest and it didn't memorize it. I did end up with the ability to craft it even though I hadn't found the schematic, though, so I guess that balances out?

Goddamn Toxic Tops take an epicly long time to grow. If anyone has found good growing conditions for them or something, please let me know. Takes like a full in-game week or more.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Are most planets in the Beta system really generous with ore, including gold and silver and platinum and diamonds, or was I just lucky to find this one? Just asking because it seems a pretty funny coincidence that a system with the same name as one of the devs would be so full of treasure. Still, pretty lucky as literally the first Beta planet I visit either way.

Anyway, coordinates are 30946713 22348310, it's Beta Tiy 83 I b.

Florans have a wonderful reaction to the Toxic Chest (the one with the tongue). Something along the lines of "Box stick tongue out at Floran, Floran stick spear into box". Florans really are the best.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The galaxy is full of billions and billions of stars.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

McDragon posted:

Are most planets in the Beta system really generous with ore, including gold and silver and platinum and diamonds, or was I just lucky to find this one? Just asking because it seems a pretty funny coincidence that a system with the same name as one of the devs would be so full of treasure. Still, pretty lucky as literally the first Beta planet I visit either way.

Ore is generously tuned right now (to the point that the developers said it's probably too much). Coal seems pretty sparse though.

Before the 12/9 patch I made it to the X sector without seeing a Diamond Ore. I haven't even left Beta on this character and already have more than 50.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

XboxPants posted:

Seems like its a bit bugged right now - I scanned in a Toxic Chest and it didn't memorize it. I did end up with the ability to craft it even though I hadn't found the schematic, though, so I guess that balances out?

Goddamn Toxic Tops take an epicly long time to grow. If anyone has found good growing conditions for them or something, please let me know. Takes like a full in-game week or more.

Actually it seems if you can craft something than it can't be printed.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

so fish spawn in lava biomes and burn to death slowly... :ohdear:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

so fish spawn in lava biomes and burn to death slowly... :ohdear:

The same thing happens with poison pits as well.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

The same thing happens with poison pits as well.

Evolution in action.

Checkmate atheists :smug:

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 11, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I know that shields aren't nearly as good as they used to be(do they even do anything right now?)

But I just can't let go of that matching look :allears:

And since the patch didn't wipe, I can work on making my ship not look like poo poo.

STD Bot the explorer

I stumbled upon a deformed monkey thing in a cage. There were some of those purple hooded guys nearby(Glitch I believe?). So I figured I'd be nice and let the poor thing go free. Well, after I opened the door, it punched me in the face for half my health, and a really small amount of poision. Rude! Had to put it down. The hooded guys then yelled at me for killing "Salt Face" before charging.

Also

Fittingly, this creepy world had an Apex lab.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I know that shields aren't nearly as good as they used to be(do they even do anything right now?)

shields halve the damage you take. Not really amazing but sometimes blocking can save your life...

Techs need a few tweaks, like equipping multiple non conflicting techs (Energy dash and double jump come to mind)

Targeted blink should force enemies to lose sight for a few microinstants so you can use it to escape. It uses lots of energy and you'll seldom get the opportunity to blink twice without high tech armor so you might as well be able to evade foes with it, plus it would mean when you blink into an enemy they can't immediately strike you before you can even re-aim your mouse.

Morph ball should negate fall damage in favor of a falling attack (after enough velocity / fall time the ball gains a trail and strikes the earth with an explosion and damage + block damage based on speed :D)

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

I finally found it. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Avaa
Nov 29, 2013
I finally found out how to change the default runspeed of your character.
Its a bit to slow for my liking at the moment.

In the assets folder in the gamefiles there is a file called default_actore_movment.config.
Just open it with any texteditor an change the value under "runSpeed" to whatever you want.

Now go, explore, fast like the wind...

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

It took me a lot longer than I care to admit to realize that was actually an edit

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Is there a way to edit the mining speed of the Matter Manipulator/Picks?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Avaa posted:

I finally found out how to change the default runspeed of your character.
Its a bit to slow for my liking at the moment.

In the assets folder in the gamefiles there is a file called default_actore_movment.config.
Just open it with any texteditor an change the value under "runSpeed" to whatever you want.

Now go, explore, fast like the wind...

My only worry about doing this would be inviting even more "fall damage" deaths with the stupid way it's calculated (read: it's based on air time since start of declination, not vertical distance travelled).

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

PiCroft posted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools

Edit the appropriate file (there will be an image file and a text file with a different name, the MM is beamaxe.beamaxe for example). The value you're looking for is "firingSpeed". The lower that value is, the faster it will mine. Alternatively you can edit blockRadius as well.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, ran out of coal after upgrading to steel armor in Alpha quad, and didn't feel like gathering more to get to Beta. My starship now runs on dirt. Fuel is stupid, so is hunger.

PiCroft posted:

Go to beamaxe.beamaxe in the assets/items/tools directory, open it with a text editor and change the value for fireTime to a much smaller number. blockRadius can also be changed to increase the area it carves (don't go nuts though, values over 5 have been reported to cause crashes.

This should go in the OP if it isn't already.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Thanks guys. It didn't occur to me to open the .<whatever> file (and also I'd never have guessed beamaxe was the MM).

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Editing the MM doesn't even count as a real cheat IMO. It's just saving time that would otherwise be spend standing in place, holding a mousebutton. At first I just used it to get basic materials to get started, but then I realised I could level a science lab in a matter of minutes instead of probably the better part of an hour with my copper pick.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Thank the ever loving baby jesus!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I don't want to make it overpowering, but I find the mining so painfully slow. I was dicking around with it on my lunch break and it took the full hour just to dig up a patch of stone to build a rectangle brick hovel with a back wall on it. gently caress trying that while underground, hunting down elusive metals and minerals.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

PiCroft posted:

I don't want to make it overpowering, but I find the mining so painfully slow. I was dicking around with it on my lunch break and it took the full hour just to dig up a patch of stone to build a rectangle brick hovel with a back wall on it. gently caress trying that while underground, hunting down elusive metals and minerals.

were you using a pick?

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

PiCroft posted:

Edit your matter manipulator using the instructions up the page. :)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

spaceship posted:

were you using a pick?

Yes, a stone one. It was faster than the MM, but still painfully slow.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Definitely going to mod the MM into a rapid fire matter converter when I get home.

The aptly named "Prof Glitch" (thanks RNG!) began his adventure on a forest world by going right. After dicking around on the surface for awhile (and watching a poor blacksmith get murdered by the local fauna), he decided to dig. And dig. And dig. Hundreds of blocks below the surface he discovered many amazing things, including multiple tombs and vast swaths of silver and gold deposits. When he finally succumbed to the depths and returned to his ship, he had more than enough material to build the distress beacon and defeat the UFO.

Then he decided to turn left. That way brought many adventures, including a mercenary camp that didn't drop any guns and no less than three clothing merchants all selling identical wares. Finally he happened upon a majestic castle full of other Glitches! It was glorious to be reunited with his people, but then suddenly they attacked him! Well that would never do, so he immediately murdered everyone inside and took the crown for himself. Upon further inspection he came upon a missage from the king indicating all outsiders were to be purged and placed in a laboratory under the castle. Having already looted the castle to furnish his ship, Prof Glitch will now return and see if that lab really does exist. He needs a new bed anyway, the royal bed was too big for his ship.

This game is amazing.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Motherfucker posted:

Drills need significant buffing. I was expecting them to be the teir up from pick axes with a little overlap judging by the resource cost, but dire-stone is still as tedious as ever.

ALSO: X Zeta Cep 39 VI: COORDS X:96332719 Y:-49500682

To the right just near the surface easily visible from the surface is a targeted blink tech crate.

The chest is on X Zeta Cep 39 VI a in case anyone else was looking for it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm sure that complaining won't change anything... but why is there a hunger mechanic in this game? I like the heat bar. That constrains my movement in interesting ways, makes torches matter more, and makes me pick equipment for more than one stat.

But the hunger bar is just a waste of my time.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Is it just me or is Starbound basically Colonialism In Space?

Think about it: you land on planets, exploit their natural resources, exterminate anything that threatens you, then jet off to despoil new frontiers, and in doing so become more powerful and more able to exterminate the natives. Also, unlike Terraria or Minecraft, there's no incentive to replant the trees you've cut down or replace the wildlife you've murdered: there are always new frontiers to exploit. While Terraria and Minecraft can be a bit 'sustainable living rules guys!' Starbound is the opposite. You destroy worlds and never even attempt to fix the damage you've done.

ninja edit: Listening to this song while reading the thread was probably a bad idea.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm sure that complaining won't change anything... but why is there a hunger mechanic in this game? I like the heat bar. That constrains my movement in interesting ways, makes torches matter more, and makes me pick equipment for more than one stat.

But the hunger bar is just a waste of my time.

Yeah I'm feeling this, with the amount of time I spend making food just to not die randomly it should give me some kind of health benefit at least.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
I know that each race says different things when you look at an item, and I am currently toying around with making a new race. When I open up an item, I see where all the descriptions are stored, but does anyone know how I would make my race say a line I wrote and added to an item? If I'm gonna make a race, I want to be thorough and write info for the 2000-ish things in the game. (Well, okay, a lot of those have defaults and only give extra descs for Glitch and Floran)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Definitely going to mod the MM into a rapid fire matter converter when I get home.

The aptly named "Prof Glitch" (thanks RNG!) began his adventure on a forest world by going right. After dicking around on the surface for awhile (and watching a poor blacksmith get murdered by the local fauna), he decided to dig. And dig. And dig. Hundreds of blocks below the surface he discovered many amazing things, including multiple tombs and vast swaths of silver and gold deposits. When he finally succumbed to the depths and returned to his ship, he had more than enough material to build the distress beacon and defeat the UFO.

Then he decided to turn left. That way brought many adventures, including a mercenary camp that didn't drop any guns and no less than three clothing merchants all selling identical wares. Finally he happened upon a majestic castle full of other Glitches! It was glorious to be reunited with his people, but then suddenly they attacked him! Well that would never do, so he immediately murdered everyone inside and took the crown for himself. Upon further inspection he came upon a missage from the king indicating all outsiders were to be purged and placed in a laboratory under the castle. Having already looted the castle to furnish his ship, Prof Glitch will now return and see if that lab really does exist. He needs a new bed anyway, the royal bed was too big for his ship.

This game is amazing.

My avian found a bunch of Avian temples, one of which was a 30 second jog from my landing site. I wonder if the stuff that appears on your starting world is determined by your race?

I also thought it was a neat touch to have the Avian nasties shout "Die, Grounded scum!" at my Avian, after discovering what that meant by reading the codex.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Zotix posted:

? You fight the UFO with iron armor, and an iron bow and kill it in about 30s.

I have the iron bow, it wasn't doing all that much.

EDIT: Also, pretty sure someone said all the T1 armors are literally not working.

ShadowMar posted:

Maybe you should have read the OP?

I didn't realize I should be checking the OP every day for new info.

I'll go ahead and do that.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

uuu so lazy is there a mod that puts everything on one planet and sucks it up into my inventory so I don't have to do anything? TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Purple Prince posted:

Is it just me or is Starbound basically Colonialism In Space?

Think about it: you land on planets, exploit their natural resources, exterminate anything that threatens you, then jet off to despoil new frontiers, and in doing so become more powerful and more able to exterminate the natives. Also, unlike Terraria or Minecraft, there's no incentive to replant the trees you've cut down or replace the wildlife you've murdered: there are always new frontiers to exploit. While Terraria and Minecraft can be a bit 'sustainable living rules guys!' Starbound is the opposite. You destroy worlds and never even attempt to fix the damage you've done.

ninja edit: Listening to this song while reading the thread was probably a bad idea.

The player is basically borg.

• Locked thread