Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Here's a "supper" clean copy of "The Queen is Dead" (original US pressing) for $11 plus shipping. It's gone.

This reminds me that I need to score an original UK pressing of this album....

e: VVVVVVVVVVVVV

$159.50. Jeez. I should sell mine right now and then just re-buy it next summer.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

izationalizer posted:

You might have already seen it, but there's an 80s repress on eBay right now. Unless the holiday season jacks up interest a lot, it really shouldn't sell for more than :20bux: or so. Worth every cent, IMHO. There's also one on Discogs for $20, but it has a sizable scratch.

Yeah I've been watching that one, it's up to $100 now though. Considering one sold in september for $20, this seems a bit steep. Guess I'll look again when Christmas isn't on everyone's mind.

edit: it ended up going for $160

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 10, 2013

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, buying the soundtrack to Final Fantasy 7 on vinyl might just be the geekiest thing I've ever done.

Too bad it's picture disk. That was one of the few reasons I didn't by snag it myself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pookdaddy G posted:

Too bad it's picture disk. That was one of the few reasons I didn't by snag it myself.

Yeah, it's a shame. I still bought it because regardless of the game itself, the music is both really good and a huge nostalgia rush. But I think as a big fan of the OST that a picture disc with selected songs is the best we're gonna get.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Texibus posted:

Well, I got my turntable today, and I'm having an issue where I hear some cracks and pops during play. Could this have anything to do with the needle or cartridge? Trying to get the arm balanced thing to hoover was a bastard and I'm afraid the needle is dragging too hard. I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.

The needle pushing down harder reduces skipping.

Also, I'm not sure you're trolling.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I really do miss my 1200. Sold it a few years ago before they made the announcement for $450 which seemed to be the median price here at the time. Haven't dared check what one might be worth now but selling it was definitely one of the dumber things I've done.

beergod posted:

What are the chances Exmilitary gets a repressing? I really want it but it starts at 225 and goes from there.

Then again maybe I should just wait a while and I'll be able to trade my copy of that for a 1200.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, buying the soundtrack to Final Fantasy 7 on vinyl might just be the geekiest thing I've ever done.

Is it like the old CD release where it's basically just the midi tracks from the game, or is it orchestral.

I'm hoping the former, for the sake of my wallet.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

shmee posted:

Is it like the old CD release where it's basically just the midi tracks from the game, or is it orchestral.

I'm hoping the former, for the sake of my wallet.

Not sure yet, it's on its way.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

So the new St. Vincent album is up for pre-order. The limited LP and 12" seems like something I'd want but it's like $32. Then I looked at the shipping... $15 for Priority Mail. :negative: Sorry, but I'm not dropping $50 for this. I'll wait until Amazon has a listing for it and just buy vanilla LP.

Anyone know why Topspin charges so much for shipping?

Here's the link if anyone's interested.
http://ilovestvincent.com/preorder/

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I had the same reaction and response. I love St. Vincent, but that's a bit crazy.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 11, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

One of the best doom albums of the year is up for pre-order. $31.99 shipped for a limited double LP + signed poster.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/products-page/vinyl/subrosa-more-constant-than-the-gods-2xlp-cream-yellow-w-red-splatter-12x12-poster/

That splatter :okpos:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I Might Be Adam posted:

So the new St. Vincent album is up for pre-order. The limited LP and 12" seems like something I'd want but it's like $32. Then I looked at the shipping... $15 for Priority Mail. :negative: Sorry, but I'm not dropping $50 for this. I'll wait until Amazon has a listing for it and just buy vanilla LP.

Anyone know why Topspin charges so much for shipping?

Here's the link if anyone's interested.
http://ilovestvincent.com/preorder/
I pre-ordered the album earlier this morning because I hate money.

In that same period of money-hating, I also ended up buying the special red and green pressing of Sufjan Stevens - Illinois from Newbury Comics:

I seriously didn't need to buy that album for a third time. I may have a problem.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Waxwork Records "Rosemary's Baby" is up for pre-order. I expect this to go fast.

http://waxworkrecords.com/product/rosemarys-baby/

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

interpunct posted:

I pre-ordered the album earlier this morning because I hate money.

I was about to order both the album & 12" golden triangle, but both tracks on it are going to be on the album. It's cool looking, but I couldn't justify it. I'll just buy tickets to her concert and buy just the album there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

het posted:

Er, to be clear, I never suggested that you would ever be punished for it, just that I know how these things go and one dude flakes out (except it's tough to prove this kind of thing) and people get super indignant and I'm kinda not interested in policing that kind of poo poo.

I dig, and sorry if I jumped to conclusions on what you said before. I just assumed that "bans all around" would be the generally accepted way to deal with the fallout of something like that.

If we end up doing it, I'd definitely want the test run to be super small (maybe 10-15 pair-ups max) in order to cut down on the potential for those disputes and to make damage control doable. I'd be willing to send out an extra LP or two if need be, but I certainly wouldn't want to be on the hook for more than that.

I trust that if some of the games and hardware forums here can successfully organize and manage something like this on a semi-regular basis, then we could probably do it with something as (relatively) inexpensive as vinyl.

shmee posted:

You could pair people up by country, I am sure there are enough people from each area to do that. Means someone has to co-ordinate things, though sounds like Electric Bugaloo was intending to do that anyway?

That's basically the plan, unless some people specifically want stuff from other countries (I personally wouldn't mind potentially doing an exchange with someone from Kangaroo-land for some weird Aussie stuff) and are willing to pay a premium.

I'm thinking I'll just make it its own thread (no sense in mucking this one up) and try to pair up the first 20-30 people who post in it as best as possible.

As bowmore mentioned, there are definitely options to get around the intl. shipping rates if need be- including buying direct from Amazon/labels or finding a discogs/ebay seller in whatever country you're exchanging with.

Although I feel like a major part of the fun in doing an exchange like this is getting stuff that you'd never be able to find in your local area/browsing on your own. We already regularly buy ourselves vinyl that we want. This should be about expanding horizons and getting weird poo poo, though I certainly wouldn't make it a requirement.

I feel like the GBS CD swap is a good example of that ethos.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

When we did the beer swap in GWS we got approval to do a Toxx thread in SA Mart to enforce bans on deadbeats. Might want to look into that.

EDIT: vvvvvv We did everything in GWS, just made a Toxx thread in SAMart for all participants after signups.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 11, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Me in Reverse posted:

When we did the beer swap in GWS we got approval to do a Toxx thread in SA Mart to enforce bans on deadbeats. Might want to look into that.

Not a bad idea. Although I kinda feel like putting the thread in NMD would maybe bring in a wider array of people (believe it or not, there are vinyl collectors on SA that don't post ITT)?

If I stick a link to a SA Mart thread in here then only CPL593H and Disappointed Owl are gonna see it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If I stick a link to a SA Mart thread in here then only CPL593H and Disappointed Owl are gonna see it.

CPL and I exchanging copies of the TerrorVision soundtrack, forever.

I'm totally in for this, btw. I can just get something cheap from the US for someone in the US.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not only do they play Tenebre live but it's one of the songs they re-recorded for the tour EP. Also, Claudio is definitely still with the band.

edit: oh wait I guess I didn't see that they split and regrouped again since this past October. Glad I got to see 'em on the first leg of the tour in that case, Goblin without Simonetti just wouldn't be the same.

They still loving rocked. I'm glad I went. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. And for what it's worth this lineup was all of the classic Goblin members other than Simonetti. The guy filling in for him was quite good.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

JUST WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

CPL and I exchanging copies of the TerrorVision soundtrack, forever.

I'm totally in for this, btw. I can just get something cheap from the US for someone in the US.

What else am I supposed to play when I dance to the light of the tv screen?

ALSO!

Boston area people, check out Weirdo Records. It's a tiny little shop but it's filled with lots of crazy rear end fun weird stuff. They even have a little place where you can sit down and listen to a record before you buy it (I know there are places that do this, but this is the first time I've seen it). Plus the lady who owns (?) the shop is the most mellowed out person I've ever come across. It's a great place, go there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

JUST WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?

Just that you're active in the thread.

CPL593H posted:

Boston area people, check out Weirdo Records. It's a tiny little shop but it's filled with lots of crazy rear end fun weird stuff. They even have a little place where you can sit down and listen to a record before you buy it (I know there are places that do this, but this is the first time I've seen it). Plus the lady who owns (?) the shop is the most mellowed out person I've ever come across. It's a great place, go there.

You're my favorite goon.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CPL593H posted:

They even have a little place where you can sit down and listen to a record before you buy it (I know there are places that do this, but this is the first time I've seen it).

Is this not common? Every store in Nashville lets you do this, or do you with new records? I haven't seen that.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
every shop in my area lets you listen to used stuff first, just no <$1 stuff since it's a crapshoot anyway. the one shop without a specific station for it will play anything over their system for you if you ask.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Action Serious posted:

the one shop without a specific station for it will play anything over their system for you if you ask.

This is a test of your musical taste. Choose wisely. Everyone is now judging you.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
http://spankshop.bigcartel.com/product/gleeson-ii-2xlp

This local rock band Gleeson is blowing out their vinyl - 200gram 2xlp for 10 bucks. honestly one of the best albums I heard all year, with fantastic sound quality on this release. Couldn't even find this on discogs anywhere. super thick, heavy vinyl on a nice gatefold. they sound like if Fountains of Wayne and Ash had a love child in the 90s. Catchy, clean pop rock

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Here's a heads up for those of you into color vinyl variants. All of the Newbury Comics exclusive pressings are available for online ordering again. Their website was previously sold out of Bon Iver - For Emma, Volcano Choir - Repave, and Talking Heads - Fear of Music. They're kind of pricey, but I figured there may be people that are interested in them:

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&deptnr=754

I just received their copy of Sufjan Stevens - Illinois in the mail today and it is beautiful.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 14, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

interpunct posted:

Here's a heads up for those of you into color vinyl variants. All of the Newbury Comics exclusive pressings are available for online ordering again. Their website was previously sold out of Bon Iver - For Emma, Volcano Choir - Repave, and Talking Heads - Fear of Music. They're kind of pricey, but I figured there may be people that are interested in them:

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&deptnr=754

I just received their copy of Sufjan Stevens - Illinois in the mail today and it is beautiful.

That is some awful price gouging right there considering how common most of those albums are.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Chim posted:

http://spankshop.bigcartel.com/product/gleeson-ii-2xlp

This local rock band Gleeson is blowing out their vinyl - 200gram 2xlp for 10 bucks. honestly one of the best albums I heard all year, with fantastic sound quality on this release. Couldn't even find this on discogs anywhere. super thick, heavy vinyl on a nice gatefold. they sound like if Fountains of Wayne and Ash had a love child in the 90s. Catchy, clean pop rock

Says $20 for me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That is some awful price gouging right there considering how common most of those albums are.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch any of those reissues aside from Illinois, which I picked up in person yesterday on my way home from school, and maybe Let's Stay Together since I've also got a new copy of I'm Still in Love With You.

The Talking Heads and Bon Iver stuff (especially the Bon Iver stuff) is ridiculous though. You can get VG+ OPs of those two Heads albums for roughly half of what those reissues cost and both Bon Iver albums would be like $11 each at any other record store in black. Hell, if you want them in color I'm sure your local Urban Outfitter's got like 10 copies of their own "exclusive pressings" from a few years ago in their clearance section.

Like, I totally get buying "exclusive" colored vinyl if the price isn't jacked way up or there's something particularly unique about a given color blend/pattern or if it's just a preorder bonus or whatever, but this whole "our copy of the album is red so we can charge twice as much for it" trend among retailers is getting stupid.

Red/green/clear/white aren't exactly "rare" colors for LPs either.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I won a turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Phono USB) and a bunch of records from a radio station contest. I am putting together the turntable now, but in the meantime can I get some ideas from you guys on what to listen to first? I'm only familiar with a few of these artists. Also it's cool to finally be able to post a vinyl pic in this thread after lurking and being jealous for a long time.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

That Wolf Parade album is excellent and if you hate it, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The first two sides of that Enter the Vaselines comp which feature the Son Of A Gun and Dying For It EPs are CLASSIC.

I'm tempted by that coloured Illinois, but I think I'll stick with my Superman pressing.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doctor Cave posted:

The first two sides of that Enter the Vaselines comp which feature the Son Of A Gun and Dying For It EPs are CLASSIC.

Seconding this. I don't have that Quasi album but I'd probably listen to that next. Edit: oh apparently it's a big change from their earlier stuff, so ignore that.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

I got that Fear of Music variant as a gift and it's dope as hell but there really is no reason for it to be $28. Especially since that Sufjan Stevens is $8 less and a 2xLP. I'm guessing the licensing was through the roof. I'm pretty sure the plain black reissue is just as expensive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kevar posted:

I got that Fear of Music variant as a gift and it's dope as hell but there really is no reason for it to be $28. Especially since that Sufjan Stevens is $8 less and a 2xLP. I'm guessing the licensing was through the roof. I'm pretty sure the plain black reissue is just as expensive.

Anyone who lives anywhere near the Northeastern United States and needs to turn to reissues to fill out their Talking Heads LP roster is a loving disgrace.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Anyone who lives anywhere near the Northeastern United States and needs to turn to reissues to fill out their Talking Heads LP roster is a loving disgrace.

Oh I definitely had a few copies I found for like a buck, but getting a brand new mint copy was still pretty dope. Plus the 180g feels better to hold than the fairly light old pressings. I don't claim 180 sounds better or anything, but it's still cool.

If they ever reissue Stop Making Sense I'd buy another copy in a heartbeat. Of course, by "reissue" I mean a 2xLP with ALL of the songs, not just 9. Seriously, why has this not happened?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Kevar posted:

I have an original copy of Fear of Music that I got signed by David Byrne. :smug:

Kevar posted:

If they ever reissue Stop Making Sense I'd buy another copy in a heartbeat. Of course, by "reissue" I mean a 2xLP with ALL of the songs, not just 9. Seriously, why has this not happened?

Seriously, what the gently caress? What with all the price gouging and cashing in the big labels are doing now you'd think they'd have done this. Or at leats made it one of those "LIMITED EDITION* SPECIAL COLORED VINYL RECORD STORE DAY" releases.

*Of 60,000

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 15, 2013

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

TheManWithNoName posted:

I won a turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Phono USB) and a bunch of records from a radio station contest. I am putting together the turntable now, but in the meantime can I get some ideas from you guys on what to listen to first? I'm only familiar with a few of these artists. Also it's cool to finally be able to post a vinyl pic in this thread after lurking and being jealous for a long time.

Seconding Expo 86 and the Quasi and Diamond Rings albums are excellent as well.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
This is off the subject, but on the recommendation of people who have heard many versions of the LP, I snagged an orange label UK pressing of Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" with 6E/4E matrices... and holy poo poo, it has been knockin' my socks off. Probably one of the better-sounding records I own, and it stomps my black label US pressing into smithereens. The pianos and strings are just so full, glisten-y, and fittingly glamorous. If anyone loves this album, I'd highly recommend this relatively unacknowledged/unknown pressing. It also supposedly crushes the much more expensive, collector-inflated 1A/1B* pressing, but I don't own both, so I can't compare them. The only pressing that some seem to think rivals or beats the 6E/4E is the 40th Anniversary edition**, which is usually too expensive for me (the 6E/4E was $28 with shipping from the UK included, but worth every cent to me; I probably could have had it for cheaper had I been more patient, though).

* Or whatever the first UK pressing matrices are.
** Does anyone here have this, btw? And if so, could you please tell me that it sounds mediocre so that I don't have to track it down, too?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

izationalizer posted:

This is off the subject, but on the recommendation of people who have heard many versions of the LP, I snagged an orange label UK pressing of Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" with 6E/4E matrices... and holy poo poo, it has been knockin' my socks off. Probably one of the better-sounding records I own, and it stomps my black label US pressing into smithereens. The pianos and strings are just so full, glisten-y, and fittingly glamorous. If anyone loves this album, I'd highly recommend this relatively unacknowledged/unknown pressing. It also supposedly crushes the much more expensive, collector-inflated 1A/1B* pressing, but I don't own both, so I can't compare them. The only pressing that some seem to think rivals or beats the 6E/4E is the 40th Anniversary edition**, which is usually too expensive for me (the 6E/4E was $28 with shipping from the UK included, but worth every cent to me; I probably could have had it for cheaper had I been more patient, though).

* Or whatever the first UK pressing matrices are.
** Does anyone here have this, btw? And if so, could you please tell me that it sounds mediocre so that I don't have to track it down, too?

I've got a 1980 green label RCA reissue and while it's the only copy of the album I own, I've always been super impressed with it. I guess more than anything I'm amazed that it's held up so well for nearly 35 years but the it is a really high quality release (besides not having a gatefold sleeve). Sounds great, and I prefer it to the digital copy I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

david puddy posted:

I've got a 1980 green label RCA reissue and while it's the only copy of the album I own, I've always been super impressed with it. I guess more than anything I'm amazed that it's held up so well for nearly 35 years but the it is a really high quality release (besides not having a gatefold sleeve). Sounds great, and I prefer it to the digital copy I have.

Yeah, I've read very good things about those green labels. They are considered good, safe bets. There may not even be enough of a difference between those and the 6E/4E to justify the higher (or probably higher) cost of the latter, but I can't compare them directly, so I don't know. In any case, I was after the purported Holy Grail, so that's what I pursued. I might have been just as happy (and a wee bit wealthier) with a green label, but hey, I'm just happy that I'm happy, and that you're happy, too.

Also, I thought my US black label sounded quite nice before I compared them; the only reason I even wanted to upgrade was that it was only in "strong VG" condition. But the 6E/4E definitely kills it, and it is not close.

Also, I just saw these four records on ebay for $60 (they are: Modest Mouse - Good News..., Antlers - Hospice, Spoon - Girls Can Tell, Pop Will Eat Itself - Dos Dedos Amigos). Not an amazing score, per se--I don't expect it to sell in minutes like I do some of the ebay things I post here--but $60 might be reasonable if you happen to be in the market for all four, just 'cause you can combine shipping. Although actually, it may even be better to just bid, kill the BIN, and try to win for 40- or 50-something bux.

Aaaaand now that I've written all that, I'm not even sure it was worth posting here, but I've already written all that, so post it I will. *click*