Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wan't there a fix for the birds recently? They're still utterly destroying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
They should just make shields always block all damage (except maybe bosses or something) but consume energy while doing so.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ViggyNash posted:

Wan't there a fix for the birds recently? They're still utterly destroying me.

There was a mod, now it's official.

MightyShadow
Oct 27, 2005

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Since coal is more precious than diamonds at this point, here's a quick tip if you're trying to scavenge what little there is on a planet without going too deep:

If it's daylight out, you can right click the back wall sections out in caves to provide a lightsource that's basically as good as torches.

All that is lit up with no coal spent. Sadly it only works during the day and only on the top 2-3 screens of the planet's surface. Once you get down deep enough the rock wall background blocks the light. :(

Same shot at night:

Nighttime sucks but this is a pretty good way to save on coal, especially starting out.

This also lets you beam out when standing on the missing tile.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dezztroy posted:

They should just make shields always block all damage (except maybe bosses or something) but consume energy while doing so.

I wouldn't mind if they did the Final Fantasy Dmg->MP with it where shields reduce damage, but then convert the incoming damage to your Energy if you have any.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The White Dragon posted:

I wouldn't mind if they did the Final Fantasy Dmg->MP with it where shields reduce damage, but then convert the incoming damage to your Energy if you have any.

Given that having a shield up halts energy regen, I dig that idea.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
That backpack lantern is already a mod someone made and it's loving fantastic, so I'm glad Tiy's putting it in the actual game. Can't imagine playing without the mod anymore.

Anybody figured out how to mod heat out? Heat and hunger are both just tedious and boring as gently caress to me and I got rid of hunger but can't figure out what the heat transfer settings actually do.

Backpack light + no hunger + MM mining superfast fixed almost all of the tedium in the game without being overpowered or anything at all, unless you just really like making a million torches and spending 3 hours to loot a base

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you leave generic items in containers the containers themselves might be deleted. It was a rude awakening since I had a bunch of Biofuel in my fuel hatch, went on an MP server, saw the items were generic and went back into single player. My fuel hatch was completely missing. Ended up having to spawn another one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dang, the new patch totally borked starbound for me. I crash as soon as I select a character in the regular and OpenGL versions, and have tried setting both programs as administrator and as non-administrator. I also get a crash on launch for hosting a server now. Anyone else having these problems?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

gently caress YES, BACKPACK LANTERNS. Now I can break my Yellow Stimpack addiction.

Also, ship:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Stew Man Chew posted:

Hotkey for that is 'N', Thief.

edit: this should go in the OP somewhere?

Awesome, thanks!

The first thing I remember examining was some heavy dudes in the woods.

Turned out to be bandits that attacked me, so I killed them and took their poo poo. The tent is a nice addition to any ship and functions like a bed that lights up from the inside when you use it:

Florans are cool.

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
Just to confirm to the person I was speaking to earlier, Once you upgrade your ship map to the X sector, you get the next teir or weapons and armor.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

So how does modding work with regards to multiplayer? Do the clients download the mods from the server, or does everyone have to have the mods installed?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kithrixx posted:

Also, ship:

I really want a bigger ship. Just two more rooms would be great.

But what would be really great is if they just let us build our own.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ezzer posted:

So how does modding work with regards to multiplayer? Do the clients download the mods from the server, or does everyone have to have the mods installed?

If it doesn't add anything to the game (an item, graphic or w/e) then everybody sees it and it performs in the way the client says it does.

If it adds something, it still performs the same way, but other people see it as a black box or nothing. I assume with a login system for servers, this will change at some point.

So, you can join a MP server with an OP MM and no fall damage, and it works fine.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

The White Dragon posted:

There's a mod someone posted a few pages back that lets you do exactly that. Your ship just starts as a tiny wood rectangle with the ship stuff in it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The White Dragon posted:

Agreed. What would also be neat is having multiple ships and/or ship battles. There are guns on these things and I want to use them.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Sometimes you just have to build a little cottage.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

If it doesn't add anything to the game (an item, graphic or w/e) then everybody sees it and it performs in the way the client says it does.

If it adds something, it still performs the same way, but other people see it as a black box or nothing. I assume with a login system for servers, this will change at some point.

So, you can join a MP server with an OP MM and no fall damage, and it works fine.

Ah, So I can mod a badass manipulator into my copy of the game, start a server, and my friends will be able to use it? cool, thanks for the tip

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Ixjuvin posted:

Sometimes you just have to build a little cottage.

Looking forward to, way down the line and much closer to release than we currently are, when I can make a few crafting stations and pull up a page of "Decorative/Ornamental" items, like the clock or banners, to fill my little hovels with. :)

It's great that we can loot them and find all this cool stuff already in existence, but there's also a certain appeal to being able to make the stuff for myself, exactly where/when I want it!

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Zethe posted:

Just to confirm to the person I was speaking to earlier, Once you upgrade your ship map to the X sector, you get the next teir or weapons and armor.

Yeah once you get to X you get Aegisalt, and the endgame chain from there is already built out (Aegisalt->Ferozium->Cerulium->Violium->Rubium->Impervium) with weapons and armor for each stage. The problem is that last patch there was A->B->G->X but now there is A->B->G->D->X. Only they forgot to add equipment/progression for Delta. So you just have to use Gamma-level equipment and cheese the boss.

Also endgame still isn't tuned well at all so there isn't much point in getting there.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When I make meat in a campfire, then shift click the cooked meat to auto stack it, it disappears. Has anyone else seen it? I might just be crazy, but I know I've cooked more meat than the one I have.

Fake edit: Found it in my hotbar :doh: I take one day off and forget to look there.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ezzer posted:

Ah, So I can mod a badass manipulator into my copy of the game, start a server, and my friends will be able to use it? cool, thanks for the tip

It won't work for them, as their MM is not modded. But they will be able to see/reap the effects of such.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
Well that's annoying. An anvil I stole from a glitch town can't be used to make the Metalwork station. I guess I need an "Iron Anvil" versus an "Anvil".

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

There's a couple of .pngs that do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to the ships - one is the background image and one is a low res pixel map where each pixel corresponds to a back wall block/object or forbidden space. There are other files as well if you want to have additional block types showing up by default or change where you spawn but if you just want to make a little extra space for yourself it's pretty easy to open up the .pngs and just make the changes. I made this in about an hour. Works exactly as you'd expect it to.

http://imgur.com/OFqXwSf

95% of that hour was copy-pasting and modifying bits of the existing ship so it looked more or less like it belonged in the game with double-decker storage, and probably 80% of THAT was loving around with the bits and wires behind the walls so that the sub-structure looked good too, just in case. I'm at work now but I think the file names were something like shipship.png and dropship.png. They're in Starbound\Assets\Ships\ or something like that, broken out by race. I used Gimp to change the image files.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
I found an early planet with an absolutely HUGE prison a little bit to the left:

I got heaps of loot! Only melee, though I went from the starter sword to a 109 dps one right away.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

The White Dragon posted:

Someone linked a mod earlier in the thread that turns your ship in to a sandbox, around 250-300 posts ago.

Here's mine right now:

e: http://puu.sh/5I97c Here's the download link pulled from my chrome downloads history, unfortunately I don't have a link to the mod creator's post on the starbound forums. Make sure you read the readme because this will delete your current ship and all of its contents.

2 Track EP fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Anyone have coordinates to a robot-not-glitch lab? I need just a few more Matter blocks.

VVV Thank you

Observe Me fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 11, 2013

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

Observe Me posted:

Anyone have coordinates to a robot-not-glitch lab? I need just a few more Matter blocks.

-22383721 , 92264693
Alpha Gamma Equ 99 II

Has two of them

13341792 , 88833597
Alpha Alsafi 064II a

Has another

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

2 Track EP posted:

Someone linked a mod earlier in the thread that turns your ship in to a sandbox, around 250-300 posts ago.

Here's mine right now:

e: http://puu.sh/5I97c Here's the download link pulled from my chrome downloads history, unfortunately I don't have a link to the mod creator's post on the starbound forums.

Once again, this is how it should work in the full game. Just add some spaceship exterior decorative bits like spines and technofluff to stick on and you're all set.

You're starting ship just feels so hilariously cramped, and even if they do have a progression of larger ships through the story, premade shells will never be as fun as making your own.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Has anyone seen a ship mod that makes it one of the airships?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It would also be fun if occasionaly, instead of a planet there was sometimes a space station you could dock with. Some of them would just be small places to trade and buy supplies, but some of them would be abandoned derelicts full of monsters, or carved out of an asteroid, or something cool like that. Basically just a mini dungeon map in space.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ive got no real complaints about how planets and creatures are handled, but I hope one day, when they have a handle on the game, they maybe expand out a bit...

Creatures that hide, or look like plants till you get close. Or greater diversity in size and movement of creatures.

Trees on a certain type of planet that somehow fight back as you try to cut them down...

poo poo like that...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Can anybody explain what I'd tweak to make it so I can make torches out of wood and tar?

Because I have quite a lot of it but not that much coal, and I'm pretty sure some tar on a stick would burn just fine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Feenix posted:

Ive got no real complaints about how planets and creatures are handled, but I hope one day, when they have a handle on the game, they maybe expand out a bit...

The latest patch added the first bit of creature/environment interaction (animals grazing on grass). I'd be surprised if they stopped there.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I think we're (me, my wife and my friend) playing the game wrong. We've sat on the starter planet and have built a 3 story house. We keep decking it out and haven't bothered to go elsewhere yet. We're so attached to our nice house and ample supplies of basic goods. We've even got a decent farm going.

It's like why roam when you can get it at home! Though I'm thinking the only way to get better crap is to travel. I will set off alone and see what can be returned to our nice wood and packed dirt mansion. We decided to play blind so we didn't know we can use some of our 150 coal to fuel the ship. Oh well, lesson learned.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There's no upgrade to the furnace, right? My stone furnace looks a liiiittle out of place among my high-tech crafting poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Funkysauce posted:

I think we're (me, my wife and my friend) playing the game wrong. We've sat on the starter planet and have built a 3 story house. We keep decking it out and haven't bothered to go elsewhere yet. We're so attached to our nice house and ample supplies of basic goods. We've even got a decent farm going.

It's like why roam when you can get it at home! Though I'm thinking the only way to get better crap is to travel. I will set off alone and see what can be returned to our nice wood and packed dirt mansion. We decided to play blind so we didn't know we can use some of our 150 coal to fuel the ship. Oh well, lesson learned.
If you're in a party, you can magically teleport to other party member's ships, so if one of you leaves theirs in orbit around your home planet you can easily teleport back to it!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zereth posted:

Can anybody explain what I'd tweak to make it so I can make torches out of wood and tar?

Because I have quite a lot of it but not that much coal, and I'm pretty sure some tar on a stick would burn just fine.

If you want to just hard-edit the files instead of making it a mod, change C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\recipes\starter\plain\torch.recipe, line 4, "coalore" to "tar".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

There's no upgrade to the furnace, right? My stone furnace looks a liiiittle out of place among my high-tech crafting poo poo.

No upgrades I think, but there might be some stealable furniture that does the same thing.

• Locked thread