Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This might seem strange, but one of my biggest frustrations with Minecraft, Terraria, and now this is how pointless it is to build incredibly cool structures.

I wish this game had a more Stronghold type element where different structures actually had gameplay aspects hooked up to them, and the world was set up to interact with your structures as well.

I know a lot of people love building for the sake of building, and I can appreciate that, but I don't personally enjoy it much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Funkysauce posted:

I think we're (me, my wife and my friend) playing the game wrong. We've sat on the starter planet and have built a 3 story house. We keep decking it out and haven't bothered to go elsewhere yet. We're so attached to our nice house and ample supplies of basic goods. We've even got a decent farm going.

While I do move on and explore, my first order of business before actually collecting stuff is just to build a dope house that is far larger than required for even the crappiest planets. :)

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
Has anyone messed around with the idea of adding new dungeons through modding? I'm looking in to it but I struggle a little bit with spacial recognition and it's still a little beyond me, but seems simple enough. Let's look at the Sci Fi Pyramid dungeon that contains a Matter Block Generator.

This dungeon is found in Starbound\assets\dungeons\scifidungeon

This image is the entrance for the dungeon. Each color represents a different kind of block.

Then there are modular rooms, that look like this:

There's a separate image for the objects found in each room:

Each image is rather tiny, it seems 1 pixel represents one block in-game. Each dungeon currently in-game comes with a key which tells you which color does what:

As it stands, you can make new rooms or layouts for existing dungeons very easily by simply drawing a picture using the key above and adding it as a 'part' for the dungeon (more later)

If we look inside the scifidungeon.dungeon file (This is where it gets tough for me because of my problems with spatial recognition :v:) we will see things like this:
code:
      "value" : [255, 128, 191, 255],
      "comment" : "background junktech",
      "brush" : [ [ "clear" ], [ "back", "junktech" ] ]
So the "value" seems to be the color, and the "brush" is what tile will take that color's place.

A couple things of note:
An oject's facing is handled by the color/code:
code:
      "value" : [255, 96, 64, 255],
      "comment" : "apexbloodbank facing left",
      "brush" : [ [ "clear" ], [ "object", "apexbloodbank", { "direction" : "left" } ] ]
Available loot is found through "treasurePools" which I'm sure you can edit elsewhere:
code:
 "brush" : [ [ "clear" ], [ "object", "apexcoolbookcase", { "direction" : "left", "parameters" : { "treasurePools" : [ "apexLabLore" ] } } ] ]
If you would like to place an object that is, say, 2x3 pixels - I do not know what would happen if you drew a non-2x3 splotch of that color on the image.

And finally, the connections to modular rooms:
code:
    {
      "name" : "entrance1",
      "rules" : [
	    [ "maxSpawnCount", [1] ],
        [ "doNotCombineWith", [ "" ] ],
        [ "doNotConnectToPart", [ "2", "3", "4", "6" ] ],
        [ "maxSpawnCount", [1] ]
      ],
      "def" : [ "image", [ "entrance1.png", "entrance1a.png" ] ]
    },
In this example, the Entrance is part 1 - there is a max spawn of one entrance per dungeon. It will not connect with parts 2, 3, 4, or 6
Caveat: I still don't have a clue what tells the game where to connect two parts. e: Looks like it's handled by a color specified in the .dungeon file (and on the key), in the "entrance" image you can see a blue dot at the bottom of the existing dungeon structure.

Let me know if you find this at all useful, I'm considering putting together a small website with some various explanations of the file types/file structure because I would really love to see more people modding this game - it's so easy and you can do so much!

2 Track EP fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 11, 2013

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I think I found the monkey man home planet (unless this is a common spawn and I'm dumb) x:-31884026 y:18616768 in Beta.

Tonnes of buildings and monkeymen. They're passive by default, but the aggro doesn't seem to work properly as only one seemed to come at me at a time, despite me killing civilians all over the place. They have amazing guns, but none of them dropped for me :(.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

victrix posted:

This might seem strange, but one of my biggest frustrations with Minecraft, Terraria, and now this is how pointless it is to build incredibly cool structures.

I wish this game had a more Stronghold type element where different structures actually had gameplay aspects hooked up to them, and the world was set up to interact with your structures as well.

I know a lot of people love building for the sake of building, and I can appreciate that, but I don't personally enjoy it much :(

I think it'd be really neat if we could for example set up automated mining bases that would poo poo out ore for us over time. Higher TL planets would yield more/better ore, but be harder to defend against the local wildlife and harsh weather.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

If you want to just hard-edit the files instead of making it a mod, change C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\recipes\starter\plain\torch.recipe, line 4, "coalore" to "tar".
I was hoping for "as well" rather than "instead", actually.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I've been working on a big dungeon for a planet type I'm working on.

The way the game detects connections between parts is by using a connecting brush similar to other blocks. That tells the generator that it should place another room with a corresponding connection there.

I've been having a ton of issues though with getting dungeon generation to work correctly. Half the time the world seems to be generated after my room, leaving fragmented half-completed rooms. Other times it just stops far earlier than it should, when there's more connecting pieces that could fit.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A few thoughts that I'm sure have been already been brought up.

First, hunger really needs to be removed from the game. This isn't the Sims and I don't want to have either keep some food supply in my limited hotbar items or open up my inventory every few minutes just to eat something. Plus as it currently stands there is absolutely no benefit to eating and instead it's a major drawback. I can continue to eat after I'm full without any ill effects but if I let hunger hit rock bottom I'm dead inside 15 seconds. I died once while waiting for food to finish cooking. If hunger absolutely has to be in the game then it needs to either eat automatically or there needs to be some kind of food hotkey.

Second, get rid of the pick and axe and just make the MM the go to tool and upgradable to be faster (and possibly bigger area). It is really dumb that I have to carry around 3 separate items in order to manipulate basic materials. This is why Terraria has the hamaxe. You have to carry the MM around so you can plant various objects and material but then you have to switch over to the pick in order to actually be useful at mining and you then you need to switch to the axe if a tree or vine is in your way. There is no reason for it other than the fact that that's how mining was done in other games. Also the size of any mining tool should be at least 4 blocks high. My character is 4 blocks tall and I shouldn't have to move my mouse around if I want to dig a long straight tunnel. However I wouldn't be upset if that was something to be upgraded. Like the basic MM would affect a 2x2 square and the first upgrade would make it 3x3 and a second upgrade would get it to 4x4.

Third, there needs to be a pause key if hunger has to be a part of the game. I thought this was supposed to be a causal game so why do I constantly need to tend to it? To me, casual means I can leave myself in relative safety, get up from the keyboard for a few minutes and come back without any issues. However the current hunger mechanic makes this impossible, even if I beam back to the complete safety of my ship. This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't hunger since you could wall yourself off safely, but I'd still want it.

And finally inventory and crafting screens need to remember their positions. Why does the inventory screen need to pop up right in the middle of the screen? Why isn't it in one of the corners? Also why does the inventory screen close and then reopen when you open a crafting object? Why can't it just stay open and in the position I've had it in for the past 30 minutes? Overall I think the GUI for Terraria was more intuitive and less obstructive.

I think there are two main types of player in this game: the explorer and the builder (and people who are a mix of the two) and right now it doesn't seem like this particular beta version is very good for either type

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TMMadman posted:

A few thoughts that I'm sure have been already been brought up.

First, hunger really needs to be removed from the game. This isn't the Sims and I don't want to have either keep some food supply in my limited hotbar items or open up my inventory every few minutes just to eat something. Plus as it currently stands there is absolutely no benefit to eating and instead it's a major drawback.

You're eating the wrong things then, if you just eat cooked meat all the time there's no benefit, but other foods give you buffs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zereth posted:

I was hoping for "as well" rather than "instead", actually.

Okay, then I think you could make that work by making a copy of torch.recipe and renaming it to something like tartorch.recipe, then adding the following to player.config:

{ "item" : "tartorch" },

under the default blueprints stuff. I'm not 100% if that would work, though.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

2 Track EP posted:

If you would like to place an object that is, say, 2x3 pixels - I do not know what would happen if you drew a non-2x3 splotch of that color on the image.
I'm pretty sure you draw a 1x1 pixel on the image, which represents the "base" block of the larger object. There's a specific block highlighted on the version of the key with graph lines, and I think that's what it is.

2 Track EP posted:

Let me know if you find this at all useful, I'm considering putting together a small website with some various explanations of the file types/file structure because I would really love to see more people modding this game - it's so easy and you can do so much!
Put it on the Starbounder wiki.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure they're going to make hunger an optional thing later on.

Hopefully they'll also let you make hunger and heat a bigger deal. Right now hunger is a non-issue once you set up even a tiny farm, and heat is never really an issue since you can just carry around campfires and survive outer space naked.

Oh, has anyone tried enabling the oceanic planets? Are they broken, or are they just saving them for later tiers?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Dezztroy posted:

I'm pretty sure they're going to make hunger an optional thing later on.

Hopefully they'll also let you make hunger and heat a bigger deal. Right now hunger is a non-issue once you set up even a tiny farm, and heat is never really an issue since you can just carry around campfires and survive outer space naked.

That's why I hate both mechanics. They're just tedious at best and downright obnoxious at worst (snow planets where you have to constantly drag a campfire around). I guess some people like them, but I modded hunger out of my game ASAP and I'd do the same for heat if I could figure out how

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

TMMadman posted:

I think there are two main types of player in this game: the explorer and the builder (and people who are a mix of the two) and right now it doesn't seem like this particular beta version is very good for either type

I'm an explorer through and through, and the only issue I've been having is placement of the inventory, crafting, etc. windows. Pick and axe in hotbar, MM in the inventory, problem solved. Plant some wheat or corn seeds in your ship, infinite food supply that requires the most minimal of management. Did the devs ever say this was going to be a casual game? I don't recall that being a stated goal.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Underwhelmed posted:

Oh poo poo, I accidentally hit the robot chef I stole from a glitch village and he aggroed. No more down home cooking for me.

Also, whoever decided that smelting metal should take as long as it does should be shot. I come back with 250 each of the iron, silver, and gold, and now I have to stand around and wait for the poo poo to cook. There is only so much busy work I can do to bide the time. I need to mod that poo poo.

I threw a snowball at my doctor once :3: for 1 damage and he aggro'd. I checked if he would still sell me poo poo as he was attacking me, and opening the sale dialog seemed to calm him again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dezztroy posted:

To fix heat, simply have campfires run out after a while (maybe give them a "durability" stat like pickaxes that is recharged with coal and wood?)

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.

Dezztroy posted:

Right now hunger is a non-issue once you set up even a tiny farm

You don't even need to set up a farm, most planets are littered with food and there are merchants all over the place that sell food for 5 pixels each. If you can find one Oculemon grove or something similar, you can just pick up every fruit on the floor and never need food again.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That Guy from Tech posted:

On weapon chat from mini-bosses. Found this sweet rear end thing(yes it shoots bones).

I found that on the starter world last night. It mines better than the loving MM set to .6.

Sorta bullshit really.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm on a mac, where do I drop an .abc file?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
^^ Edit: Search for "Cannon in D" in your starbound directory or whatever, and drop them in there.

MrTheDevious posted:

That's why I hate both mechanics. They're just tedious at best and downright obnoxious at worst (snow planets where you have to constantly drag a campfire around). I guess some people like them, but I modded hunger out of my game ASAP and I'd do the same for heat if I could figure out how

You could go into the files for every piece of armor in the entire game and change the variable of the heat resistance (Since it's all obviously labelled) and change every single one to 999 if you really feel that strongly about it.

Seriously, if SA is even one billionth as entitled as the people on the official starbound forums, I want to give Molly a big hug (in a non-creepy way) and a case of her preferred alcohol.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
e: Nevermind

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I found that on the starter world last night. It mines better than the loving MM set to .6.

Sorta bullshit really.

Don't swing it on your ship. It's not a happy thing when you do :smith:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Heat would be cool if it were a limit on where you could safely explore, overcome by gear or (maybe, with the proper balance) the expenditure of scarce resources. Instead it's yet another mechanic that makes you stop your regular gameplay, do some pointless bookkeeping, and then go right back to playing normally.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rudager posted:

You're eating the wrong things then, if you just eat cooked meat all the time there's no benefit, but other foods give you buffs.

I know that some food gives buffs but that doesn't really have anything to do with hunger. You can eat the item and get the benefits even if you are full. So what's the point of hunger?

If hunger was tied to a natural health regen it would make sense to have it but as it stands it only exists to punish the player.

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
Not all weapons have been balanced by the looks of things:

http://postimg.org/image/tnpkn8acl/

Literally all of the weapons at this vendor do 1000 dps

EDIT: perhaps not the jump in health and damage from delta and X is massive.

Zethe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 11, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Heat would be cool if it were a limit on where you could safely explore, overcome by gear or (maybe, with the proper balance) the expenditure of scarce resources. Instead it's yet another mechanic that makes you stop your regular gameplay, do some pointless bookkeeping, and then go right back to playing normally.

I mean, it kinda is, though. Warmer gear lets you dispose with the "drop a campfire every so often" thing.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrTheDevious posted:

Don't swing it on your ship. It's not a happy thing when you do :smith:

Wait, why. If you don't tell me I'm going to go home and do this and gently caress poo poo up.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
^^ I'm assuming he's on an X TL10 planet, since the best crafted weapons are around that DPS anyway.

TMMadman posted:

I know that some food gives buffs but that doesn't really have anything to do with hunger. You can eat the item and get the benefits even if you are full. So what's the point of hunger?

If hunger was tied to a natural health regen it would make sense to have it but as it stands it only exists to punish the player.

But it is a mechanic that they want and is functionally working without the rest of the systems to make it worthwhile in place. I like to think of all the mechanics that are currently in the bones, since they are the structure around which the rest of the game will be hung. Stop flipping out about them insisting there be a thigh-bone that you don't like chewing on because there's little marrow and no meat yet.

Okay, that analogy went better in my head.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean, it kinda is, though. Warmer gear lets you dispose with the "drop a campfire every so often" thing.

I haven't ever actually managed to amass enough leather for a full set of winter gear; does it stop cold completely, or just give you a longer timer?

Also, either way, that's not a complete solution. The campfire thing existing at all throws a wrench in the works. As long as it's trivial to do people will still use it, and then (rightly) complain that it's boring to have to stop and warm up every few minutes.

On the other hand, if cold is a timer that can be slowed but never completely stopped or reversed (short of returning to your ship) and if cold planets have some kind of unique resource or reward to make it worth exploring them anyways and risking death -- then you have a good gameplay mechanic.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 11, 2013

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
So when you're on a planet where you can't find enough coal to get off without everything killing you, you're just kind of hosed, huh?

Why in god's name did they get rid of log fuel? This is horseshit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't ever actually managed to amass enough leather for a full set of winter gear; does it stop cold completely, or just give you a longer timer?

Basically, the warmer your armor, the colder it needs to be for your meter to start dropping. The winter gear means you can safely explore moon and ice planets without needing warmth; warmer armor still lets you do poo poo like asteroid hop with less campfires.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Redkist posted:

So when you're on a planet where you can't find enough coal to get off without everything killing you, you're just kind of hosed, huh?

Open coalore.item (located in items/generic/crafting) and change the fuel amount to whatever you want.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So how do the Guard/Villager spawners work? Do they respawn if killed? Do they open shops? Can I pick the spawner back up and move them again? Coal being so blasted rare right now I don't want to waste the steel on spawners if they're going to die permanently to the first murderbird.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009

Redkist posted:

I made Moondust give me 100 fuel each and I have a few crates full of 9000 moondust v:shobon:v fuel management isn't really fun to me because the part I find fun about this game is flying around and exploring. I've said it before but if there's anything you don't like about the game, you can fix it with simple text editing. The only limit is yourself

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

So how do the Guard/Villager spawners work? Do they respawn if killed? Do they open shops? Can I pick the spawner back up and move them again? Coal being so blasted rare right now I don't want to waste the steel on spawners if they're going to die permanently to the first murderbird.

You put them down, then when you get it off screen and come back, one spawns. If it's just a villager, it doesn't do anything besides use furniture/housing near the spawn point and talk to you. If it's a guard it has a weapon and will defend itself, but that's it.

I look forward to the full range of spawners, so we can literally build our own cities.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I finally find a trumpet but I can't find an abc file of Feels so Good by Chuck Mangione :negative:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Second, get rid of the pick and axe and just make the MM the go to tool and upgradable to be faster (and possibly bigger area). It is really dumb that I have to carry around 3 separate items in order to manipulate basic materials. This is why Terraria has the hamaxe. You have to carry the MM around so you can plant various objects and material but then you have to switch over to the pick in order to actually be useful at mining and you then you need to switch to the axe if a tree or vine is in your way. There is no reason for it other than the fact that that's how mining was done in other games. Also the size of any mining tool should be at least 4 blocks high. My character is 4 blocks tall and I shouldn't have to move my mouse around if I want to dig a long straight tunnel. However I wouldn't be upset if that was something to be upgraded. Like the basic MM would affect a 2x2 square and the first upgrade would make it 3x3 and a second upgrade would get it to 4x4.

I think rolling every tool into an upgradable MM is a good idea, but I do kind of have an issue with it. I buffed my MM to make it not terrible at mining and that's great, but when I try to place stuff it shoots so fast that I click to put the item down and then if I don't release the button instantly it immediately rips whatever I placed back up.

It'd have to work differently to be a good setup.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

I think rolling every tool into an upgradable MM is a good idea, but I do kind of have an issue with it. I buffed my MM to make it not terrible at mining and that's great, but when I try to place stuff it shoots so fast that I click to put the item down and then if I don't release the button instantly it immediately rips whatever I placed back up.

Or you could not have it selected when you're placing things.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Open coalore.item (located in items/generic/crafting) and change the fuel amount to whatever you want.

Oh. Thank you.

Is there a way to do this on Mac though?

Redkist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

I think it'd be cool if it worked at [current tier of progression]-1. So say for instance the tier 1/Alpha grouping of pickaxes is Stone->Copper, then tier 2/Beta is Silver->Gold. At the start of tier 1 the MM should be a little worse than a Stone pickaxe. But when you finish the boss of the Alpha sector, you get a quest to upgrade it to Copper efficiency. So then when you get to tier 2 you mine for a little bit until you get enough material to upgrade your pickaxe to Silver and eventually Gold. But then you finish the Beta sector and get a quest to upgrade the MM to Gold efficiency.

So by the end of it when you beat whatever happens to be the "final boss" you earn a quest to make it equivalent to an infinite Diamond pickaxe (or whatever the final pickaxe/drill ends up being).

• Locked thread