Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Nothing should get in the way of my finding ore and mining it than smithing it into more efficient tools to rinse and repeat. In fact all these graphics are really just an impediment to what would be much easier achieved with a progress bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Patch comin'!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Ugh I get hungry and need to stop freezing, all these problems to get between me and digging up more ores.

gently caress this game :qq:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

This might seem strange, but one of my biggest frustrations with Minecraft, Terraria, and now this is how pointless it is to build incredibly cool structures.

I wish this game had a more Stronghold type element where different structures actually had gameplay aspects hooked up to them, and the world was set up to interact with your structures as well.

I know a lot of people love building for the sake of building, and I can appreciate that, but I don't personally enjoy it much :(

It reminds me of the really big mods for Minecraft where you are building, not crafting, massive, complex machines that are cool to look at and are actually useful.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Because you nerds didn't want to post it I had to go find it myself. :argh:

Patch posted:

Changelog for v. Indignant Koala 12/11/2013
There are a whole bunch of improvements to balance here, particularly in the early game.
We aren’t wiping characters or worlds, but if you want to experience the proper balance
you should make a new character/worlds to play it on!
Also..
- Nerf the hell out of birds, they no longer attack you at long range, lower damage, don’t follow you forever.
- Monster projectiles across the board better balanced
- Shields better balanced
- Early armors better balanced
- Melee weapons better balanced
- Ores better balanced
-AI improvements
- you can now craft lanterns (similar to sixxes’ lantern mod!)
- you can now craft a new back armor to help light caves
- fixed the bubble gun crashing on mouse over
- improve grass ( Suggestion by Dracyoshi)
- You are now invincible on your ship (this requires a new character)
- You need to be hit a lot harder to get knocked back
- some UI updates
- Drills now destroy 3×3 blocks
- nerf fall damage
- You can now turn 10 unrefined wood into coal in the furnace
- New “melting” status effect on lava makes lava super dangerous (watch out)
- Other misc changes
As always, more coming your way soon!

E: Added some bolding.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 12, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

We get it, you can't tell the difference between risk/reward mechanics and Progress Quest and you're mad that other people can. Shut up already.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Vasudus posted:

I don't find it that big of a deal to keep a stack of food on you. It takes like, 45 minutes to completely starve or something. I'm much more likely to die to fall damage or angry birds before I starve.

The secret is to fly around until you find an eyeball tree planet. Every time you chop one down you get between 3-8 food or so, I had 200 eyeballs before I left my lucky starter planet.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

victrix posted:

This might seem strange, but one of my biggest frustrations with Minecraft, Terraria, and now this is how pointless it is to build incredibly cool structures.

I wish this game had a more Stronghold type element where different structures actually had gameplay aspects hooked up to them, and the world was set up to interact with your structures as well.

I know a lot of people love building for the sake of building, and I can appreciate that, but I don't personally enjoy it much :(

I agree, but also see the point of building structures that are just cool for the sake of it.

I want them to expand wire and add liquid manipulation so I can build a skyscraper sized fountain.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

ViggyNash posted:

It reminds me of the really big mods for Minecraft where you are building, not crafting, massive, complex machines that are cool to look at and are actually useful.

Given how malleable the game already is a week into beta, I can't see Starbound not ending up with mods to do at least as much cool poo poo as Minecraft

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice

Redkist posted:

Just reinstealled the game. Tried to do exactly as you said. The game does not load for me once modded. This is pretty lame because it means no one with macs can do any modding whatsoever from what I can tell, and the game just simply isn't fun when it's CoalBound.

I've been modding tons of things by hand on my mac and just tested setting coal to 100 and 200 fuel, with no issues. You probably have broken some file in your assets, the syntax needs to be correct for them to load. Check starbound.log and see if it's yelling about anything failing to parse when you start the game.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ShadowMar posted:

Restart steam. If that doesn't work verify game data. If THAT doesn't work, close Steam, delete clientregistry.blob and restart steam.

Thanks a bunch! I had to delete the app folder thing, but it worked!

As for the actual game...wow. It took a major step back in terms of fun. Monsters on my starting planet are insanely powerful and take forever to kill, birds follow forever and kill in three hits, and my starting planet doesn't have trees. Only giant mushrooms.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Actually I'm pretending to be one of the people who cries about things being too hard and than immediately mods away everything that isn't digging up ore as a means of making fun of those people, not because I am actually one of them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
PATCH INCOMING.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vasudus posted:

I don't find it that big of a deal to keep a stack of food on you. It takes like, 45 minutes to completely starve or something. I'm much more likely to die to fall damage or angry birds before I starve.

It's not even the amount of time it takes to completely starve. It just feels like a completely unneeded mechanic in this type of game and so it irritates. And honestly, that's kind of how I feel about hunger in pretty much any game that has it. Most of the time, it's essentially nothing but a ticking clock that forces you to push a button when it runs out.

I'm kind of surprised that a group of people who hate QTE events don't seem that bothered by what is basically a long, slow, QTE disguised in a roleplay wrapper.

And again, I'm not against the food being in the game. I think there should be lots of varied food objects in the game, both with and without benefits. I just don't see why eating them should be attached to any kind of timer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I hope that, whether by mod or by dev, there's a Labyrinth planet type. Not biome, but an entire planet that's just one giant labyrinth to wander/dig through full of enemies, treasures, and an evil Penguin driving a Minotaur Mecha.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
So I'm in Beta sector and I've crafted my racial armor, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to go from there. I've got hundreds of gold/diamond/plat bars laying around, so I'm guessing my next move is building the robot dude and killing whatever it spawns to move onto Gamma?

Given that's the case, is there some way to get a superior brain other than grinding mobs with the brain extractor until I get lucky? I've got 50ish inferior brains, can I craft em into a better one?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Actually I'm pretending to be one of the people who cries about things being too hard and than immediately mods away everything that isn't digging up ore as a means of making fun of those people, not because I am actually one of them.

Difficulty that presents no challenge, trade-offs, or decisions isn't good gameplay. That's what hunger is right now, and temperature is only a little better.

I mean I'm leaving them on because I want to give feedback on the beta as-is so it's improved, but modding them out isn't an unreasonable decision either.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
I think the big thing with food is that there's no benefit to being capped off. It should give you a buff or any sort of incentive at all to say well fed. Or have different kinds of food affect you in different ways or...something.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I'm pretty impressed with the pace Chucklefish is pumping out these patches to address peoples' concerns on a near daily basis. Looking forward to not getting murdered by birds so much.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

Thanks a bunch! I had to delete the app folder thing, but it worked!

As for the actual game...wow. It took a major step back in terms of fun. Monsters on my starting planet are insanely powerful and take forever to kill, birds follow forever and kill in three hits, and my starting planet doesn't have trees. Only giant mushrooms.

I'm pretty sure every alpha planet has to have wood. I was on a planet with giant flowers that dropped 20 plant fiber, but after traveling nearly to the other end of the map I found a small patch of trees.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

ColHannibal posted:

I'm pretty sure every alpha planet has to have wood. I was on a planet with giant flowers that dropped 20 plant fiber, but after traveling nearly to the other end of the map I found a small patch of trees.

I spawned in a valley that has mountains on either side that curl outwards, making it very difficult to jump, and birds keep 3 shotting me. I'm moving on from this planet.

edit:

aaaaaaand the only other places in this solar system are a tree-less arid planet and 2 moons. Welp, guess I'm starting over!

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 12, 2013

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DelphiAegis posted:

Explain how hunger is a punishment in the typical sense. Food is easy to come by and fills your meter fast. Death from hunger is a loss of pixels, but not much else besides travel time on whatever planet you were on. The fact that there isn't anything meaningful attached to it does make it seem sort of silly, I agree, but I don't agree it's to the extent of being entirely useless.

And hey look, a patch. That's the fourth (Third?) in less than a week. Like I said, if you really can't stand the game or are upset that it's "CoalBound", by all means, wait a few weeks and pick it up after Christmas. It'll still be in your steam library then.

It's punishment because if you don't do it, you die and then lose both time and pixels. Plus, the more pixels you have, the more pixels you lose. Sure pixels aren't that big of a deal, but it's still a loss and therefore a punishment.

The fact that there isn't anything meaningful attached to it is exactly why it should be gone from the game.

And I'm not upset about it, I just don't agree with the mechanic itself and have no trouble expressing my opinion.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Got my own adorable space pet thing!

Been playing so much didn't even realize there was an update!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TMMadman posted:

It's punishment because if you don't do it, you die and then lose both time and pixels. Plus, the more pixels you have, the more pixels you lose. Sure pixels aren't that big of a deal, but it's still a loss and therefore a punishment.

The fact that there isn't anything meaningful attached to it is exactly why it should be gone from the game.

It's almost like they added something called "game difficulty".

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Code names for versions are fine, but only if they accompany an actual version number. :argh:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Difficulty that presents no challenge, trade-offs, or decisions isn't good gameplay. That's what hunger is right now, and temperature is only a little better.

I mean I'm leaving them on because I want to give feedback on the beta as-is so it's improved, but modding them out isn't an unreasonable decision either.

Difficulty that presents no challenge. :psyduck:

As for trade offs and decisions maybe you're supposed to choose to get food or prepare for stretches of no food instead of literally spending your every waking moment digging up ore.

Same with cold, maybe it's just there as a barrier to coal like monsters and other things, maybe the difficulties of life are all just there for the express purpose of making it harder to get coal, maybe coal is the goal and the challenges are there to give you some sense of achievement for getting the coal?

Or I guess you could mod out all the mobs, the dirt, the environment and just have every square made from coal that you dig up, the distilled essence of joy without those tedious challenges.

Or better yet, why not make the coal cookies?!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

TMMadman posted:

And I'm not upset about it, I just don't agree with the mechanic itself and have no trouble expressing my opinion.

It's also not like saying X is a bad idea and isn't helping the game is say, making GBS threads on the entire game experience.

For the record I completely agree, hunger systems that are just do action X every 5 minutes or else die suck. Add in a small reward like hp regen, like someone else mentioned, or perhaps faster movement/mining while full vs slower when super hungry, would make it less annoying.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Observe Me posted:

Got my own adorable space pet thing!

Been playing so much didn't even realize there was an update!

That fish ship is amazing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

That fish ship is amazing.

Default Hylotl.

Oh my loving god I got red texted over that!

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Inverness posted:

Code names for versions are fine, but only if they accompany an actual version number. :argh:

I assumed they specifically avoid numbers to avoid getting trapped in a set path of beta progression. They have no arbitrary limit on patches.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
They should adopt a naming system similar to hurricanes but with animals and moods.

So after they go through all words for angry with koala, hop to llama, then monkey, and so on.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rhjamiz posted:

I assumed they specifically avoid numbers to avoid getting trapped in a set path of beta progression. They have no arbitrary limit on patches.

There probably is an internal number, but personally I like the code names.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

Default Hylotl.

Oh my loving god I got red texted over that!

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Hey wow buddy here is your complimentary "Wear this title with pride!" post, now you can feel smug and superior! Congratulations! Good job!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Whoever's buying misspelled/dumb red titles for people in this thread is as bad at it as they have :10bux: to throw away.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Every beta patch is version "annoyed goon".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rhjamiz posted:

No sane numbering scheme does, either. There's nothing wrong with v0.11.35 or w/e

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Alakaiser posted:

I think the big thing with food is that there's no benefit to being capped off. It should give you a buff or any sort of incentive at all to say well fed. Or have different kinds of food affect you in different ways or...something.

I agree, but also I would say that if different kinds of food are going to (HEAL YOU THEY SHOULD HEAL YOU) affect you in different positive ways, there's again no point in having a hunger bar and it should be removed.

(There's no point in having a hunger bar and it should be removed.)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

This thread is full of the most tame red titles ever. :psyduck:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Shukaro posted:

Whoever's buying misspelled/dumb red titles for people in this thread is as bad at it as they have :10bux: to throw away.

No no I love it.

Thank you my autistic benefactor for getting rid of that stupid newbie av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Difficulty that presents no challenge. :psyduck:

Yes. They aren't identical concepts. Challenge implies a problem you have to apply knowledge, skill, or reflexes to solve. You can make a game harder without making it more challenging -- like, say, if you flipped a coin every time the player eats something and if it comes up heads you poison them. You've added difficulty, but the player still has to eat.

I mean this:

Motherfucker posted:

As for trade offs and decisions maybe you're supposed to choose to get food or prepare for stretches of no food instead of literally spending your every waking moment digging up ore.

is basically correct, but right now amassing food is trivial in every respect except for the time it takes. It's not dangerous (monsters on a level 1 planet that can't even scratch you feed you just as well as high-level ones -- better, in fact, since it takes fewer arrows), it doesn't cost you any resources (ammo isn't modeled yet) so it basically costs you nothing except time.

Patching it to involve the player more would be better than removing it, but there's nothing wrong with waiting it out in the mean time.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 12, 2013

• Locked thread