Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Recently I finished a research paper on the Greek tragedy Ajax. Since then I've been looking for a good film that really encapsulates the kind of extreme iconoclastic behavior and martyrdom that Ajax displays in the play. 13 Assassins was a perfect example, that I have seen and loved multiple times, but I would really like another film that portrays that type of warrior culture, extreme idealism, and homocidal/suicidal tendencies. Other films that I have seen and feel belong in that genre: Jarhead, Harikiri: Death of a Samurai, Black Death, and to a lesser extent, Drive/Valhalla Rising.

So CineD, what films about devoted radicals would you recommend?

Not on netflix instant but Sword of Doom might be something you'd like. It was originally supposed to be part of a trilogy (which I think eventually got made by different people) so it kind of cuts off in mid-scene at the end, thought some people seem to think that makes the movie better.

Also while not exactly what you're looking for and likely something you're already aware of but Yojimbo/Sanjuro and The Seven Samurai both deal with fatalistic warrior types. And are just generally good movies that people should watch. They were on Netflix for awhile and it's kind of criminal that they're not anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jolo posted:

Only God Forgives was a really really gorgeous movie...Gosling's love interest in the movie is very easy on the eyes.

Yes, Kristin Scott Thomas certainly has aged quite well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Joshlemagne posted:

Not on netflix instant but Sword of Doom might be something you'd like. It was originally supposed to be part of a trilogy (which I think eventually got made by different people) so it kind of cuts off in mid-scene at the end, thought some people seem to think that makes the movie better.

Also while not exactly what you're looking for and likely something you're already aware of but Yojimbo/Sanjuro and The Seven Samurai both deal with fatalistic warrior types. And are just generally good movies that people should watch. They were on Netflix for awhile and it's kind of criminal that they're not anymore.

Sword of Doom looks perfect. I was hoping for a more modern film with more focused and intense violence, but SoD seems like such a perfect match that I can't say no. Also, I am familiar with Kurosawa and last I checked his catalogue was up on Hulu.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Hewlett posted:

Ugh, I know you're riffing on Gushing Granny, but I can't handle it. This isn't Freud's Oedipus; Julian is a victim of extreme child abuse.

Mustach fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 12, 2013

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mustach posted:

Ugh, I know you're riffing on Gushing Granny, but I can't handle it. This isn't Freud's Oedipus; Julian is a victim of extreme child abuse.

You should probably spoiler this post.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I saw Kingdom of Heaven in the cinema and I thought it was pretty weak, gotta check out this DC I guess.

Yeah. It didn't leave me thinking it was great in any way. Everything was on the nose way too much. I should rewatch the dc then.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Kudos to whoever in the thread mentioned Berberian Sound Studio. Watching it right now and I'm really enjoying it, especially it's interest in the work that goes into sound design.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Chichevache posted:

You should probably spoiler this post.
OK, but eh it's revealed in the first act.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mustach posted:

OK, but eh it's revealed in the first act.

I know. And it is also in one of the trailers they show. But it is still a really shocking moment when KST says those lines, and if I had seen the film without having it spoiled I would have appreciated it that much more.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I watched some of Computer Chess when I was tired (so I couldn't handle the really awkward "so you're a girl programmer" scene), but all that I saw was pretty good. My guess is that the likely reason for all the "it sucks" content-free reviews, or even the "I made a better film in high school" criticism is that it hits a bit too close to home for a lot of goons. Even so, I don't really understand the negative reaction: I went to some big Artificial Intelligence lectures in college and I had the biggest, stupidest grin on my face during the entire "panel discussion" scene before the competition.

I started watching this late one night after mistaking it for a documentary and it didn't take long to realize it wasn't so I switched movies, but I've been meaning to go check it out. Glad this thread reminded me it exists.

Plus I kind of have to watch it after this post immediately got countered with a really goony response. Gotta find out for myself now.

Gaz2k21 posted:

That "twist" caught me right off guard I couldn't do anything but laugh my rear end off.....does that make me a bad person??

Nah, the Cleanflix documentary even sets the audience up for maximum schadenfreude. It was hilarious.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Man, Bronson is amazing.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

Kudos to whoever in the thread mentioned Berberian Sound Studio. Watching it right now and I'm really enjoying it, especially it's interest in the work that goes into sound design.

Sadly I haven't actually seen this yet (I will change this soon). I remember when it came out and its just been lost in the shuffle. But it being mentioned jogged my mind to another cool sound film called sound of noise Really well done and while its not a thriller very entertaining. Streaming on the netflix of course.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thanks guys, Sightseers is a lovely picture.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Wolfsheim posted:

I watched Crystal Fairy last night and it does a really good job of showing what it's like having friends that are drug addicts. I still can't tell if that means I liked it or hated it.

I wouldn't call anybody in that movie a drug addict. Jamie is obsessed with the mescaline, but not because he's an addict. He's obsessed because he believes it's somehow going to fulfill him. He doesn't know in what way, he just thinks it's something he needs to do.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I know. And it is also in one of the trailers they show. But it is still a really shocking moment when KST says those lines, and if I had seen the film without having it spoiled I would have appreciated it that much more.

I saw it and am not sure what line you're referring to. Can you remind me?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'd heard some goon praise for Berberian Sound Studio before but never did see it myself or even know what it was about. I just read the synopsis on Wiki, and okay, yeah, now I'm pretty interested in seeing it.

The first time I watched this I did without subtitles on and I honestly recommend doing the same. Sure half the movie is in a different language, but it really makes you feel for the main character.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I Before E posted:

Man, Bronson is amazing.

Have you seen the other Refn films on Netflix?

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I saw it and am not sure what line you're referring to. Can you remind me?

When Mai, Julian, and Julian's mother are having dinner and KST gives a really graphic description of Julian's dick and compares it to his brother's. I dunno, for me it was a really dramatic and impactful scene and being aware of their Oedipal relationship prior to that seems like it steals some of the thunder from the scene.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chichevache posted:

When Mai, Julian, and Julian's mother are having dinner and KST gives a really graphic description of Julian's dick and compares it to his brother's. I dunno, for me it was a really dramatic and impactful scene and being aware of their Oedipal relationship prior to that seems like it steals some of the thunder from the scene.
But... his mom touches him in a pretty un-momly manner the first time they meet, so it's not like that comes out of the blue.

PreformedSoup
Jun 22, 2011

Chichevache posted:

I loving knew I was going to get this answer. :argh:

Four Lions was a drat good film though. I really enjoyed it and I wish I knew how to recommend it to people. I also watched it the day before or after the Boston Marathon Bombing, so...

Ya, I've been struggling with this one. I tried showing it to a few friends and the general reaction was "This is stupid. Why would anyone watch this?" On the other hand, I have yet to see anything quite like it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

TrixRabbi posted:

I wouldn't call anybody in that movie a drug addict. Jamie is obsessed with the mescaline, but not because he's an addict. He's obsessed because he believes it's somehow going to fulfill him. He doesn't know in what way, he just thinks it's something he needs to do.

Yeah, addict might be too strong a word. 'Self-centered white twenty-something rear end in a top hat who happens to like to do and constantly talk about doing drugs' might be a bit more on the nose, though I'm not just talking about Jamie; both he and Crystal Fairy are two incredibly accurate portrayals of friends and acquaintances I've had. It was so on-the-nose that in some scenes I knew exactly what would happen before it did, like Jamie using the phrase "I feel like I'm just in the right place in my life" when talking about the cactus, Crystal Fairy walking naked around a roomful of strangers and acting smugly superior when it's commented on, etc etc. That's not even a criticism, I was impressed by how well they captured all of it.

I liked reading about the production as well, and how it just kind of happened while Cera and the director were shooting Magic Magic. Speaking of which, is that worth watching? I've heard pretty mixed reviews.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PreformedSoup posted:

Ya, I've been struggling with this one. I tried showing it to a few friends and the general reaction was "This is stupid. Why would anyone watch this?" On the other hand, I have yet to see anything quite like it.

Holy heck get some new friends. Four Lions is amazing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This is just a reminder that if you aren't catching up on Arrow, you are missing a balls out sophomore season.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
If you enjoy the Paul Morrissey directed and Andy Warhol produced movies (Flesh, Trash, Heat) that Netflix had up some time ago, there is a movie called Telephone Book that is on now that I can best describe as like those. Check it out for something extremely different.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Have you seen the other Refn films on Netflix?

Haven't yet, but I plan to.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

axleblaze posted:

I watched Cleanflix last night and there's just so many aggravating things happening at once in that movie that it's hard to know where to focus my disdain. I just like how none of these people had any idea how copyright law worked, had no desire to learn how it worked and rather than looking up how the law worked they continued just believing their wrong interpretation were right and that they had been screwed. I guess this fits in with alot of their beliefs though.

I also like the picture you get when you combine this lack of knowledge of the law with the later claiming that he didn't know the girl was underaged like that would make a difference.

I was distracted by all the college aged kids and other families who were so adamant about how glad they were that they had a way of watching movies with all the 'bad' stuff removed (I could not comprehend that these people exist). Granted, all the college aged kids were literally standing on the campus of BYU, but still.

I thought the documentary made it pretty clear they were only interested in copyright law as far as they could find a way to get around it. They were all weasels.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I Before E posted:

Haven't yet, but I plan to.

Well Drive, Valhalla Rising, and Only God Forgives are all on there. Valhalla Rising and OGF are both incredibly slow and brooding films, but Drive is pretty much universally loved in CineD.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Blackfish just got added, that's timely!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just watched Somm which is a nice little documentary on four guys that are in training to become Master Sommeliers. I had heard the term before but had no idea how prestigious the title is and just difficult the exam is; there's only around 200 Master Sommeliers in the world. I don't know jack poo poo about wine (though it made me go out and buy a couple of bottles!) but I was really impressed by how much knowledge these guys have. Even without an active interest in wine I really enjoyed the film; it's pretty light and charming and makes for good background noise if nothing else fits your mood.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 12, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

I was distracted by all the college aged kids and other families who were so adamant about how glad they were that they had a way of watching movies with all the 'bad' stuff removed (I could not comprehend that these people exist). Granted, all the college aged kids were literally standing on the campus of BYU, but still.

I thought the documentary made it pretty clear they were only interested in copyright law as far as they could find a way to get around it. They were all weasels.

The thing is they don't actually have any interest in Copyright law what so ever. They basically make things up that they think sound good and assume that it's legal. Like Cleanflix has this policy that for every edited version of a movie in their store, they buy a normal copy but that's just not how copyright law works at all. Copyright law controls who has the right to sell and distribute stuff. Even if you buy something on the copyright holders terms, that doesn't give you a right to sell your own version of that thing on your terms. Like, Piracy lawsuits aren't about people stealing things, they're about them distributing them in a way that the copyright holder doesn't approve of.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

priznat posted:

Blackfish just got added, that's timely!

Extremely excellent - if very harrowing & depressing - movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Extremely excellent - if very harrowing & depressing - movie.

I grew up in Victoria, BC and remember the first trainer death from the news. No wonder though, the "tank" was just a lovely netted off area in a marina, I'd probably go psychotic too. Not that the other parks are that much better for large marine mammals.

It'll be interesting to watch this documentary, I'm pretty much on side with what I've heard of it already though.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

Just watched Somm which is a nice little documentary on four guys that are in training to become Master Sommeliers. I had heard the term before but had no idea how prestigious the title is and just difficult the exam is; there's only around 200 Master Sommeliers in the world. I don't know jack poo poo about wine (though it made me go out and buy a couple of bottles!) but I was really impressed by how much knowledge these guys have. Even without an active interest in wine I really enjoyed the film; it's pretty light and charming and makes for good background noise if nothing else fits your mood.

I watched this recently and liked it. I really though I'd hate the guys and they'd come off as phony but it was pretty impressive how specific they could get when figuring out where a wine was from.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

priznat posted:

I grew up in Victoria, BC and remember the first trainer death from the news. No wonder though, the "tank" was just a lovely netted off area in a marina, I'd probably go psychotic too. Not that the other parks are that much better for large marine mammals.

It'll be interesting to watch this documentary, I'm pretty much on side with what I've heard of it already though.

Yeah it could definitely be considered preaching to the choir to an extent, but it's one of those things where, while I knew the situation was bad, I was still astounded and horrified at just how bad it is. When you get to the part early on where the hardened mercenary who admits having a part in toppling several foreign regimes breaks down crying and says that kidnapping whales for Sea World is the worst thing he's ever done, you know poo poo's real bad.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hewlett posted:

Seriously though, wasn't there meant to be a sexual relationship between Billy and the mother? I just watched it (Only God Forgives) and I was pretty disappointed. As great it is visually and all that, I just couldn't care about any of the characters.

Edit: I just now read this page's discussion, and didn't realize people had already been talking about the incest in Ryan Gosling's family. Whoops!

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 13, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
People are really good at not using spoiler tags for anything related to that, for some reason.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

People are really good at not using spoiler tags for anything related to that, for some reason.

I know it's loving annoying. People should be getting hit for it.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Mescal didn't bring up anything that isn't revealed by the post he quotes, and it really doesn't spoil anything. It is not some twist or conclusion, but is apparent in their first scene together. It's an establishing character relationship.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

More on Sightseers: what did you guys think? The thing that stays with me is the end of it. It seems like at the end, the people making it suddenly remembered that it's a comedy about a woman who's been a victim of abusive relationships. The ending seemed a little wrong because it was a bit more than a comedy. Not because it's dark, but because it actually has some legitimate philosophical content. Overall it is a comedy and a good one, so... maybe it's just another example of comedic movies (almost) inevitably having bad endings.

And sure "Hey it just echoes the suddenness of death" but c'mon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mescal posted:

More on Sightseers: what did you guys think? The thing that stays with me is the end of it. It seems like at the end, the people making it suddenly remembered that it's a comedy about a woman who's been a victim of abusive relationships. The ending seemed a little wrong because it was a bit more than a comedy. Not because it's dark, but because it actually has some legitimate philosophical content. Overall it is a comedy and a good one, so... maybe it's just another example of comedic movies (almost) inevitably having bad endings.

And sure "Hey it just echoes the suddenness of death" but c'mon.

Reading that paragraph, I'm not really clear what it is about the ending you don't like. Can you elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Reading that paragraph, I'm not really clear what it is about the ending you don't like. Can you elaborate?

I didn't believe the main character's admission to Martin that she's evil, women are manipulative so... that last minute or two seemed forced. I felt like I really understood the characters and the last part isn't something I thought they'd do. Though it's shocking, it's predictable as the kind of thing a writer or an editor does when you've got to END STORY NOW OH poo poo MIDNIGHT DEADLINE.

• Locked thread