Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I couldn't even get past the first chapter. But to make this a little more relevant, does anyone have recommendations for decent shounen that has good treatment of its female characters? I'm not really looking for the usual fanservice and/or harem fare, and I prefer series where the female characters actually get to do interesting stuff.

EDIT: Some example of shounen series I really liked include Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi, Sengoku Youko, Record of Fallen Vampire, Koe no Katachi...

Maybe Akame ga Kill? The female characters are treated no different from the male ones, but it still does have a little fanservice and is not very shonen-y(very dark and gory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 74!

In which Hiro-kun makes more good points for bad reasons, Aki gives Usami a run for her money in 'crazyface', and the Drama Club arc officially begins.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
http://www.mangareader.net/iron-knight/2

Well, that was disappointing. I wasn't going to jump down its throat for being worse than the one shot after only the first chapter, but the direction its heading doesn't seem to resemble it at all.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cynic Jester posted:

Well, that was disappointing. I wasn't going to jump down its throat for being worse than the one shot after only the first chapter, but the direction its heading doesn't seem to resemble it at all.

Dang. I thought it was going okay, if a bit over-marketable (SJ, I know), but the end was a bit much. "This rabbit sticks out like a sore thumb," indeed. Does the kid grow bigger when he Iron Knights, or is the rabbit just tiny? The perspective on that was weird.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh. I'm not quite ready to sling this one just yet. Whilst it's clear it's going in another direction. I'm not sure if it's a bad one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Haha, should've seen that one coming.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Y'all should really be reading Mob Psycho 100. It's way better than Iron Knight. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/211593/mob-psycho-100_v2_ch11_by_nerieru-scans

Queen Emeraldus too.. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/queen-emeraldus-r4415

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

What the hell, that Iron Knight chapter was all bad. :(

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Cynic Jester posted:

:sigh: I really need to stop getting my hopes up over newly serialized shonen manga. The tone of this chapter completely threw me off, and I really don't think it was a good idea to jump one month ahead after what happened in the first chapter.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I thought the oneshot kicked so much rear end... I was disappointed by the first real chapter and now I guess I won't even look at the second one. Maybe it'll pick up?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The part where he names his attack was pretty bad but I can't hate a manga which has its main character almost get himself killed in a fiery self-destructive rage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He is a child. The attack naming thing was entirely consistent with his character.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

You know what's not fun to read, though? An entire 20pages of dialogue with the protagonist and himself.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
The one-shot's opening premise was much stronger (kid is infected, but goes full-shounen at the last moment and becomes a demon with a human mind but no ability to return to human form or even to speak, yet has a heartfelt desire to protect what's left of humanity). I'm not even sure what to make of an anthropomorphic rabbit showing up this early besides fan service.

Internal monologues are A-OK when coupled with a literal inability to communicate with humanity (besides gestures?). Talking to yourself because you can doesn't go over as well outside of comedies.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
What annoys me the most is the fact that he has loving memory loss now. Great. That's new and compelling, I'm sure we won't go through pages and pages of angst about him wondering if maybe he hurt his girlfriend. They took everything that was compelling about the oneshot and replaced with with the standard shounen stereotypes. I'll keep reading it for another few chapters purely on the strength of the oneshot, but expectations have been thoroughly tempered.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The latest Mob Psycho 100 is loving metal. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/211836/mob-psycho-100_v2_ch12_by_nerieru-scans

You can even watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtSw0r-2z4

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why would a full serialized manga based on the Iron Knight one-shot be good considering the one-shot sets it up as the kid never being able to speak or become human ever again?

Wouldn't that end up with tons of chapters with no text, or only inner monologues since he can't speak, or a lot of "ARROOOO" noises?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Silent manga can be really amazing dude.
http://www.amazon.com/GON-1-Masashi-Tanaka/dp/1935429396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387050437&sr=1-1&keywords=Gon

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Fabricated posted:

Why would a full serialized manga based on the Iron Knight one-shot be good considering the one-shot sets it up as the kid never being able to speak or become human ever again?

Wouldn't that end up with tons of chapters with no text, or only inner monologues since he can't speak, or a lot of "ARROOOO" noises?
A decent writer and artist could pull it off. Make it all about the projections others put onto him and his responses to that. Give him a talkative companion. Switch between protagonists. Or just wallow in the silence and communicate it all through the art. Etc, etc. It's all in the details of the execution.

Gods know a silent demon protagonist would be more interesting than a very large number of shounen protagonists. also, who's not to say that this serialization isn't leading up to that?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I have a feeling like you lot are expecting way too much out of a drat shounen book let alone something from SJ.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Finally read Iron Knight to see what all the fuss was about. The change from one-shot to serialized wasn't that unexpected though. One-shots tend to give more leeway in what the writer wants to do and try out, as well as possibly having an ending. Now that it's serialized, and there's an editor overseeing it, there's bound to be changes in order to make it more marketable to a wider audience.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Again!! 75!

In which Aki finds her 'ouendan', and Imamura continues his world-class lecture series, 'How to Hurt Women's Feelings'.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Shonen Jump unveiled their international manga competition finalists. 6 of them selected out of manga from the entire world. The best of the best.

I entered as well, but my chances were pretty slim since mine was barely shonen or manga (and can be read here).

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

chefscientist posted:

Shonen Jump unveiled their international manga competition finalists. 6 of them selected out of manga from the entire world. The best of the best.

I entered as well, but my chances were pretty slim since mine was barely shonen or manga (and can be read here).

This isn't a link to read the finalists, right? We have to wait for an actual SJ issue with them in them?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

chefscientist posted:

I read your entry and it was really good (though definitely had 0% chance of winning the contest!), you should link it to folks in the Making Comics thread. +1 reader from me!

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

pandaK posted:

This isn't a link to read the finalists, right? We have to wait for an actual SJ issue with them in them?

It is. Big white banner leads to a page with the titles and images of all 6 finalists and the red button underneath those lets you read them. My descriptions are vague because I don't have a translation script or whatever.

Only two of these looked remotely interesting to me. Morning Star, for being anime Lara Croft and company and the World War 1(?) era manga. Everything else seems kinda generic. Props to Golden Rabbit for getting me to finish it which I can't say for Boom, El Viento Del Norte or that other student thing.

Rhygezenguro fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 21, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

pandaK posted:

You can read them here. https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/en

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Nice, it's all translated in English too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think my favorite of those was probably the WW2 vampire one; the plot wasn't anything special, but the pacing/execution felt really polished. The one with the cowboy samurai girl probably had the worst plot; it read like something a 13 year old would think is cool and was cheesy in a bad way (compared with the Sweat Man one which was cheesy in a good way).

edit: I just read the second chapter of Iron Knight and yeah, it was pretty bad. Even if I ignore the rabbit girl at the end, it's pretty ridiculous that this kid is keeping his poo poo together after burning/burying all these violently killed people. It's not so much that I'm unwilling to suspend disbelief and more that they shouldn't have had that sort of violence to begin with if they were going to treat it in such a dumb way.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 21, 2013

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

DrSunshine posted:

I read your entry and it was really good (though definitely had 0% chance of winning the contest!), you should link it to folks in the Making Comics thread. +1 reader from me!

Thank you very much. I'm actually halfway through a different comic called Penultimate Quest right now. So I should probably get that up there. New Hobart's kind of a maybe story that I'll pitch around, but it's good to hear a positive reception for it.

I ended up voting for the WW2 Vampire comic as well, although small surprise that he (spoiler) lets the dude soldier die and the chick with the tits live forever as a vampire. In fact what was that story even about? Really good comicing though, the spread of him coming out of the coffin is real good.

Oh, I'm going to link Fat Naruto again while I'm here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
King Golf had another batch of chapters uploaded to all the various readers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
New Gamble Fish, but with a twist!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The body improvement club in Mob Psycho are all surprisingly great guys. Kind of a nice change of pace, given how most of the characters are such assholes.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The body improvement club in Mob Psycho are all surprisingly great guys. Kind of a nice change of pace, given how most of the characters are such assholes.
Friends don't let friends skip leg day.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More Shonen Romance! (Koe no Katachi 17)

drat Shouya, you lucky bastard :wiggle:

Is fantastic how with just one chapter this girl went from :catbert: to :3:

I like her :allears:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What :psyduck:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Well obviously he'll put himself in the hole then.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

More Shonen Romance! (Koe no Katachi 17)

drat Shouya, you lucky bastard :wiggle:

Is fantastic how with just one chapter this girl went from :catbert: to :3:

I like her :allears:

Apparently the author wants the series to run somewhere between 4 and 10 volumes with 7 being the number she's shooting for. That's good, tell the story you want to tell without dragging things out.

coathat
May 21, 2007

She should try and make the story good. It just keeps getting worse and worse each chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
King Golf is serious fun. It has that Slam Dunk feeling to it.

3 new chapters.