Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nullEntityRNG posted:

You can actually!

Warp ins actually go to the first solid block on the upper part of the planet (where you can see the sky in the background) Warps will ignore platform blocks, so if you just dig down a bit, and only have platforms above you, you'll warp directly into any underground base.

Where my glitch is on the bottom is where she warps in at. It's rather quite nice.
This is pretty sweet. I stopped thinking anything like this was even slightly possible because I started making person sized "Spawn point is here" Aztec pyramids with the intent of landing on top of them... And I'd 90% of the time end up buried inside them up to my chin and having to dig my way out regardless of if it was placed higher or lower than the original elevation of the area.

EDIT:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I have a blueprint for a Bolt O, but when I try to use it it says I already know it. How do I access it?

Are you a glitch? They start with that recipe. Use the Crafting Table to Make a wooden cooking table out of wood (and copper bars), and use that. Everyone also knows how to make bread from the cooking table, it's 2 wheat and fills 6 hunger (Avians know how to make carrot bread but my first guy never found carrots).

EDIT: vvv I don't mind that NPCs do not have to deal with heat mechanics (then there would be no NPCs very shortly), I do wish places in cold locations had proper heating, or even enough to survive nightfall cold.

There was one snow planet base I found in my pre-wipe playthrough that had a couple space heaters, not enough to help but a nice touch. But I think that place was an exception because a bookshelf in it had a Hikari codex nearby talking about how she crashed on an ice planet and then "borrowed" parts from the base personel's ship when they wouldn't let her (and the Apex she was fighting) in.

gibbed posted:

There is actually a Starfleet uniform outfit in the game files, I don't know if you can already obtain it in-game yet.

assets\items\armors\decorative\costumes\startrack
I really, really hope this means those are Trek themed Track Suits.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I have a blueprint for a Bolt O, but when I try to use it it says I already know it. How do I access it?

A cooking table.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
It's interesting that lava doesn't provide heat.
Also that high-tech bases don't have heating, so I can die ~inside~ on a snow planet.

RIP

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Smarmy Coworker posted:

Also that high-tech bases don't have heating, so I can die ~inside~ on a snow planet.

RIP
I was in a three story Glitch blacksmith house. Needed to have a campfire on every floor otherwise would've died of cold. It was silly. They need to work on the heat radius in confined spaces.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Modding in Starfleet uniforms, it's fun!

Air Julio posted:

The only mod that matters right here. I can't wait till the game is done.
There is actually a Starfleet uniform outfit in the game files, I don't know if you can already obtain it in-game yet.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Almost there.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Smarmy Coworker posted:

RIP

Grab heaters in USCM penal colonies and Space heaters in USCM staging areas. These have a MUCH wider range of heating than campfires, and you can make even the coldest planets warm with those things.

nullEntityRNG fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 12, 2013

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

MShadowy posted:

Almost there.

Oh man, that looks really good.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Grab heaters in USCM penal colonies and Space heaters in USCM staging areas. These have a MUCH wider range of heating than campfires, and you can make even the coldest planets warm with those things.

good to know that those actually work, I kept passing them up in favor of toilets and bath tubs.

It would also be nice if there were a hotkey to switch equipped techs.

Smarmy Coworker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 12, 2013

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

MShadowy posted:

Almost there.

One of the exhaust things is crooked.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

gibbed posted:

Oh for God's sake.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Harlock posted:

Is there a mod to currently change your spawn point or where you beam down on a planet? I'd be more inclined to build a house/evict a structure if I could just instantly warp to it.

I built my house around the spot I warp in to by default and it warps me inside the house when I beam down.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

MShadowy posted:

Almost there.

I'm waiting for the inevitable EVE ships. But drat I want to be in that ship.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

MShadowy posted:

Almost there.

I would suggest swapping the tech console and the storage console.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Can you move the windows on that leftmost panel up one tile to be even with the others? That thing is triggering my OCD.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

gibbed posted:

Oh wait, well at least they are from a different era of the show. A lot of the stuff in decorative is in as random drops from what I've seen.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

gibbed posted:

You can get one of the shirts in the game. Have not found the pants yet.

You can also get clothes called the Pixel Hero in game.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

gibbed posted:

I had that before the first wipe.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Do you need T2 before you can craft a backpack light? What's it even called in the crafting table/anvil?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Sorry if its been asked before but this thread moves so quickly. Does playing in coop make enemies stronger? We made it to the beta worlds in silver armor and there is more than one alien type that literally one shots us with ranged attacks. It seems like their damage is doubled to account for multiplayer or something. Oh and can you remove the pixel deduction on death?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Fishstick posted:

Do you need T2 before you can craft a backpack light? What's it even called in the crafting table/anvil?

Yes, and it's called stick lantern, I think. Pretty sure it's crafted on the table.

Also, if you're like me and had a character past that tier when the patch came out, the recipe won't exist until you remake and reuse a starmap mk2 module.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fishstick posted:

Yes, and I believe it's called Backpack Lantern.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Fishstick posted:

Lantern on a Stick.

EDIT: Lantern Stick.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

az posted:

Sorry if its been asked before but this thread moves so quickly. Does playing in coop make enemies stronger? We made it to the beta worlds in silver armor and there is more than one alien type that literally one shots us with ranged attacks. It seems like their damage is doubled to account for multiplayer or something. Oh and can you remove the pixel deduction on death?

I don't think so, but ranged projectiles were way broken until late last night's patch.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

Avian pirates with gun merchant, left. Not especially far.

There's actually 2 Avian ships. Also, a Pulse Jump Tech just barely left of spawn.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

You can get one of the shirts in the game. Have not found the pants yet.

You can also get clothes called the Pixel Hero in game.

There are also custom clothes for all the developers, too. Not sure what their stats are though, I didn't go digging through the files that far.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone on the official boards complaining that planets are too.. small?

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Wait, it's Clint? Well shit.

DelphiAegis posted:

There are also custom clothes for all the developers, too. Not sure what their stats are though, I didn't go digging through the files that far.

I think the dev clothes work like they did in Terraria, they give you a bunch of debuffs. You aren't a dev, these aren't your clothes! I'm sure it's easy to mod out though.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Someone on the official boards complaining that planets are too.. small?

Planets do have relative size, actually. Try digging down on a small moon, then doing the same on a huge main-planet. Gigantic differences. Seriously, it's like ten times deeper on the huge planet, it's a little ridiculous.

Red Harvest posted:

I think the dev clothes work like they did in Terraria, they give you a bunch of debuffs. You aren't a dev, these aren't your clothes! I'm sure it's easy to mod out though.

Probably, I'm just too lazy to look at the files. There are also "augments" with vaguely buff-sounding names, so maybe we'll get set bonuses some day, eh?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Baldbeard posted:

The matter manipulator really should be closer to stone tools. Starting a new character and having to stand there and 'tac tac tac' on 4 blocks of stone or a tree really is brutal. It's like the first 15 minutes of a character are completely overhead while you prepare a set of stone tools before the game starts.

It's really not that bad. I just timed it and it literally takes two minutes to go from "load character" to crafting your stone pickaxe, after which you never have to use the matter manipulator again. Another 30 seconds or so to make an axe. It's a very minor part of the game, and it's an important one, because it gives you some expectations to work with if you've never played a game like this. Those first few minutes are a big part of why the other tools feel pretty good. Otherwise people would be bitching that the axe doesn't just take down trees in one shot.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I found a shotgun that takes the entire energy bar of a full set of tier 10 equipment :pwn:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Had an interesting idea for indoor heating. There should be items defined as "heating objects". Furnace, campfire, maybe new item called a heater. When placed inside a closed structure, they will evenly heat that structure regardless of where they're placed within it. Different objects would have different ambient heating values. If the structure is not enclosed, they work normally.

This would probably be weird to implement, but the material the strycture is made of could also affect the ambient heat level.

That way, heating an NPC structure is only a matter of putting a heater in it somewhere, and it would provide a good way to traverse snow/moon planets without needing stacks of campfires.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

Planets do have relative size, actually. Try digging down on a small moon, then doing the same on a huge main-planet. Gigantic differences. Seriously, it's like ten times deeper on the huge planet, it's a little ridiculous.

A friend and I dug mostly straight down on some huge snow planet. After an hour of walking the surface we hadn't lapped around so we dug down and didn't hit the core for two or three hours.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So how do custom ships work in multiplayer?

They are essentially an image so would they just be blank to other people?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So how do I use dye on things and what can I use it on?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Finally got out of exams and am able to play this game. Its pretty loving awesome, I found a chest that gave me this bitchin fire axe. Now I'm just doing some quests I guess. What does the ship take for fuel?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Evil Eagle posted:

You can't. Dye exists in the game but you can't use it on anything yet.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Finally got out of exams and am able to play this game. Its pretty loving awesome, I found a chest that gave me this bitchin fire axe. Now I'm just doing some quests I guess. What does the ship take for fuel?

The only fuel you can get in Tier 1 is coal. You can get coal from mining it, or by crafting it using 10 unrefined wood in a furnace.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Coal, as this is secretly a steampunk game.

You can make coal from smelting unrefined wood.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Red Harvest posted:

Nope, they are just regular crappy vanity slot items.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

So far you can only make the paint gun with dyes and paint walls different colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

kloa posted:

So far you can only make the paint gun with dyes and paint walls different colors.

Has anyone gotten this to work since the patch? It wasn't working for me last night, though I couldn't verify after the minor bugfix patch. It still acted as if it was spraying color (and erasing it, if you change the "color" to the lack of a colored beam), but it wasn't changing the color at all.

• Locked thread