Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BrightGreenLine posted:

This last patch definitely screwed up balance in the direction of making everything do too much damage: Both you, and the enemies. Birds have ridiculous knockbacks, and once you get a t2 NPC weapon you'll one-hit everything you see with it for a good long while.

But it's still neat and new and all that.

The giant miniboss mobs still do way too much damage, to the tune of oneshotting you in the best armor for your sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Where do you see your food recipes at? I'm pretty sure I learned to make Apple Pie at some point but I have no idea how to actually do it.
Food crafting table(Wood + copper at the normal crafting table), or a kitchen counter you steal from the Apex, or probably a couple other things.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
So... I made a new character tonight and I don't have the recipe for the Stone Pickaxe. I can make the Stone Axe and Hoe, but not the pickaxe. Has anybody else run into this?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Thrown up a suggestion on the official forums to give us the ability to rename planets, and also search by name on the starmap. I know they're planning some kind of bookmarking system beyond the godawful 'go home/OHSHIT I DIDN'T MEAN TO RESET MY HOME' pair of buttons, but I think this'd work nicely. Hopefully it won't get lost in the 8,000 poo poo suggestions for things like new races and unarmed combat.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm a bit confused as to armor progression.

So I'm a glitch. I make Silver Armor, and then I upgrade it to Soldiers? Then, at the next tier, I do whatever, and upgrade it to whatever?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Thrown up a suggestion on the official forums to give us the ability to rename planets, and also search by name on the starmap. I know they're planning some kind of bookmarking system beyond the godawful 'go home/OHSHIT I DIDN'T MEAN TO RESET MY HOME' pair of buttons, but I think this'd work nicely. Hopefully it won't get lost in the 8,000 poo poo suggestions for things like new races and unarmed combat.

God I'd love a book-marking system or some type of notation that you could add to planets. I hate guessing among the recent systems I've visited and typing in the coordinates takes a bit longer than I'd rather deal with(looking them up and what not).

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

az posted:

Weird issue, I've been playing with a friend in coop and at first everything was dandy but since last night he's been lagging quite badly on my server. It would make sense if either of our internets were weak or running poorly but as far as I can tell, everything is fine, firewall set, routers set, 50mbps up and down etc etc. Is there a known bug that makes the game lag for no good reason at all?

What are you running your server on? I was running a windows server just fine, but I just migrated it to an Ubuntu server, running the 64bit server. I noticed after about 2 hours of play it was starting to lag to poo poo. I noticed it was taking up drat near all 6gb of my system memory. After a restart of the server everything is fine now. Might just be a wicked memory leak.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Wolfechu posted:

I think ideally the navigation would have a ship log of all destinations traveled to, with a little captain's log field for each entry so you could make notes about what you found on the planet.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

peepsalot posted:

I think ideally the navigation would have a ship log of all destinations traveled to, with a little captain's log field for each entry so you could make notes about what you found on the planet.

That would also be amazing. I would take anything over 'Screencapping any planet coordinates you care about', which is my current unwieldy system.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

dis astranagant posted:

The giant miniboss mobs still do way too much damage, to the tune of oneshotting you in the best armor for your sector.

They sure as hell do. I just cheese them like the actual bosses when I run onto them. Box myself in with one block openings on each side and at the top, then poke a sniper rifle through, hold down the mouse button, and watch Netflix for a few minutes :downs:

I know it's still beta and has tons of problems, but this game is loving great. I am having the best drat time with it. Being Floran and examining everything in the entire game by itself is more fun than a lot of multi-million huge studio games :allears:

^^^ I have notepad open with like 50 sets of coords I dump in anytime I find something good. An in-game system would be awesome as hell

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Having to edit the player.config to add recipes kind of sucks. Makes modding in new items kind of lovely because there's constantly going to be conflicts. :(

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As far as recipes go the Apex Banana Bread recipe is Pretty loving Simple and also very good for healing and the speed buff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm a bit confused as to armor progression.

So I'm a glitch. I make Silver Armor, and then I upgrade it to Soldiers? Then, at the next tier, I do whatever, and upgrade it to whatever?

The "metal" armor you make each tier (copper, silver, gold, etc.) can be upgraded into a racial armor if you have the materials. It's not necessary, but if you want to there's no reason not to since the next tier of generic armor no longer requires the previous tier to make (i.e. gold requiring silver set).

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Stiggs posted:

Having to edit the player.config to add recipes kind of sucks. Makes modding in new items kind of lovely because there's constantly going to be conflicts. :(

I made a ghettoass diff merge tool to auto fix that for me that I can post when I get home if people want it, but it only works if the mod itself comes with its own player.config like the goon made one that lets you make biofuel cans. If the mod doesn't have its own player.config it doesn't do anything :(

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I wish there was an item you could make and place on a planet that would do a few things:

List the planet on the starmap (with the option to name the planet.)
Grant instant, fuel-free travel back to that planet at any time. Think of it as a bigger version of the warp pad in your ship, which works on your ship instead of your character.

I would even change the "distress beacon" of the first tier quests to this item.
I feel like the starting quests should set you up with building a base of operations (discourage just living out of your starship a little bit, give incentives to actually build on planets). Then, instead of a "distress beacon", you build an "unencrypted warp beacon" (you don't have the technology to make encrypted warp beacons yet) so you can easily get back to your base of operations if needed. Then, whoops, some space pirates (the first boss) picked up your unencrypted warp beacon signal and pop in to wreck your junk. You kill them, jack their technology to be able to build properly encrypted warp beacons, and take their Star Map (which so happens to unlock Beta Sector).

I feel like this would be a better tier one, add a much-needed item to the game, and incentivise a bit of colonization, rather than just the world-pillaging that the game encourages now. Of course, you can just never build another warp beacon and be a space viking if that's your thing, but people who like to expand their influence in the universe can drop warp beacons all over and have tons of little worlds to return to.

I would also add a variable to each world file that is basically "last visited time." (stored by the server in multiplayer) Next time you visit that world, the game calculates the difference between the current time and last visited time and does some simple calculations to grow crops and the like.

Additionally, I would remove the copper, silver, gold, and platinum pickackes. These metals are not really suitable for making pickaxes, and it makes no sense to "upgrade" from an iron pickaxe to a silver one, outside of the frankly idiotic tradition imposed by other mining games. Change the progression to Stone -> Iron -> Steel -> Diamond-tipped. Use copper, silver, gold, and platinum for the creation of electronics, weapons, and armor (give me power armor please). I'm not sure about the later metals, but I'm sure you could apply similar logic.

The flat progression curve we have currently (new material, new pickaxe!) is just a bit boring, on top of being a bit non-sensical. It's also kind of lazy from a design standpoint, but I don't mean that as criticism because it is a genre tradition, which I can understand as being easy to adopt.

Change the wiring system to use actual wire. Crude copper wire in tier 1 made from just copper, up to shielded copper wire made from copper and some other stuff, also fibre-optic using complex electronics in later tiers and glass, etc. Better wiring can go a longer distance and can transfer more power/information.

Oh, also, I would add a generator building you could create (not on your ship, it should be an actual building requiring multiple parts) that early on will extract fuel from materials which you can use to fuel your ship more easily. Later, you can connect to the generator building a Geothermal generator (run some tubing and wiring down to some lava if the planet has it) which will generate energy for your ship, as well as a Solar generator (generates more power on worlds without atmosphere!), which has to be so far up in the atmosphere to be effective. Essentially, this means later in the game you can warp to your base(s), collect the generated fuel (which will be calculated by the lastvisited variable) and blast off for more exploration. It gives a true sense of progression in the universe, in that you can have multiple outposts around the universe that allow you more and more resources to reach further and more quickly.

You could also require traps to be wired properly up to a generator of some sort, which would allow people to defend their bases with deadly traps, without cheesing enemies with them out in the world.

I know a lot of this is just way off the current design, but it's how I would build the game if I was doing it.
It's not something that seems to be currently possible to mod in, but as the modding capability improves, I'm going to seriously consider doing something like this.

Edit: Sorry for the rambling effortpost from nowhere.

az
Dec 2, 2005

jhorphear posted:

What are you running your server on? I was running a windows server just fine, but I just migrated it to an Ubuntu server, running the 64bit server. I noticed after about 2 hours of play it was starting to lag to poo poo. I noticed it was taking up drat near all 6gb of my system memory. After a restart of the server everything is fine now. Might just be a wicked memory leak.

Win7, 64bit. It lags right from the start regardless of ram uptake, we're completly stumped.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

I made a ghettoass diff merge tool to auto fix that for me that I can post when I get home if people want it, but it only works if the mod itself comes with its own player.config like the goon made one that lets you make biofuel cans. If the mod doesn't have its own player.config it doesn't do anything :(

I was about to start working on the same thing, but if you've already done it then that's even better!

I'm sure they'll change how adding recipes works at some point, or I guess someone will make a mod loader that handles it all and becomes super popular.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oh god, transcribing multiple musical parts to a single-track .abc is :suicide: inducing. Why am I doing this?

On the plus side I've done 1:20 worth of Bastion's "Setting Sail, Coming Home". And it's only taken me two hours!

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 13, 2013

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Tykero posted:

rambling effortpost from nowhere.

I, too, would love to be able to play Starbound as if it was Technic pack modded Minecraft. A lot of that stuff probably should be left to modders, but I agree that seeing some kind of infrastructure-building gameplay in vanilla would (a) be awesome, and (b) give the modders something to start with.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Question: is there a difference in regen between beds?

Edit: also as a glitch how do I make wooden walls? (like the background)

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Oneiros posted:

Oh god, transcribing multiple musical parts to a single-track .abc is :suicide: inducing. Why am I doing this?

On the plus side I've done 1:20 worth of Bastion's "Setting Sail, Coming Home". And it's only taken me two hours!

Please post when you do finish, I was just thinking wistfully about this!

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Falcon2001 posted:

Question: is there a difference in regen between beds?

Edit: also as a glitch how do I make wooden walls? (like the background)

First question: no, without mods all the beds have the same regen.

Second question: right click with planks.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Emy posted:

This might be my single favorite upgrade from Terraria.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What do I need to do to make wood into fuel now?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

What do I need to do to make wood into fuel now?

Just stick 10 logs in a furnace.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Stiggs posted:

I was about to start working on the same thing, but if you've already done it then that's even better!

I'm sure they'll change how adding recipes works at some point, or I guess someone will make a mod loader that handles it all and becomes super popular.

Yeah mine's ghetto as gently caress because I just wrote it for myself and it's not that interesting of a problem to begin with, but it DOES work, so I'll clean it up when I get home and post a link.

If you wanna work on a fancier/more robust version with me, I can send you the code and we can spend a couple hours making something that isn't garbage :kiddo: Might need to rewrite it in a language that doesn't require extra poo poo installed since I think mine probably requires .Net

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

jhorphear posted:

The server is a hog. I'm running the 64-bit Linux server on a VPS that was perfectly fine for 6+ player Terraria and Minecraft with FTB, but Starbound's server is destroying it. Five players on the server at once will peg CPU usage up to near 100% and it'll slowly consume up to my available 2GB of memory unless I restart it every 8-10 hours. The memory issue is most likely a leak, at least, since the server's memory usage will keep going up even when no one is on, and it seemingly never releases memory without killing the process. Four of us were playing last night and the memory usage never went above about 1GB, but by morning I had to reset the drat thing again.

I had to move the server off my Windows desktop (which is a fairly decent i7-3770k) because I was sick of listening to the CPU fan going nuts and my Windows performance noticeably degrading when a large number of people were on. CPU usage just seems really, really excessive and it doesn't seem like large servers are going to be feasible if this kind of behavior is typical.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I've just spent 3 hours trying to overhaul my ship and I just want to say that I really, really ought to be able to move containers around with the Matter Manipulator without breaking them open and throwing their contents everywhere. That's why containers exist! To store and move a bunch of little things more conveniently! :argh:

edit: and LABELS! Signs! Something! I must sort all my things in an easily understood way!

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Oneiros posted:

You're doing gods work, son. Keep going :black101:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Emy posted:

Do you count the interrogation table as a bed?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Emy posted:

That's not true at all. Regular beds heal at 2% a second. "Special" beds like the interrogation table and sacrifical altar heal 5%.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Oneiros posted:

Are you crazy enough to add the male/female microphones as well?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I found a Targeted Blink tech but can't get it to do anything. I have it selected on my character sheet but can't get it to work, what's the deal?

E: Got it, hit F

E2: Killed the big bone dragon, got my durasteel armor, how do I get to the X sector?

VV Most other techs I got were "tap [key] twice"

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 13, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

I found a Targeted Blink tech but can't get it to do anything. I have it selected on my character sheet but can't get it to work, what's the deal?

E: Got it, hit F

Press F if it's like every other activated tech

^^ goddamn that was fast

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Did we ever get a server working?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Evilreaver posted:

Out of curiosity, does it still cost basically no energy to use?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I found an ore-rich desert planet with rainbow wood and a ton of shrubs to get plant fiber. Bonus Apex obstacle course with tech at the end!
Alpha Sheraton 5404 I
-55711797 -51808933

Apex thing is to the left some, make sure to check around it for a shitload of ore.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To the right a bit you'll find a legendary spear in an abandoned Apex lab and a legendary broadsword in a chest just to the right of that. WAY off to the right (might be closer to the left) are 2 air pirate ships. Further to the right of the ships is an instrument in a chest just barely inside a cave in the bottom of a cliff. You can see it from the surface during daylight. My instrument was a nylon guitar.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Clever Spambot posted:

Costs about half my charge with Durasteel armor on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

clicky here

Clever Spambot posted:

110 energy. Enjoy!

• Locked thread