Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
The lady friend's E36 318i came with heated seats, body bag, but no mention of a cold weather package.

On a side note, doing the rear wheel bearings are quite a pain in the rear end on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Not to add to the confusion but all the E92 M3's I've owned have had the fold down seats and drug box / ski passthrough regardless of options.

As far as I know all E92s came standard with cold weather package, which includes fold down seats.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Stealth Like posted:

As far as I know all E92s came standard with cold weather package, which includes fold down seats.

Neither of the M3s I've owned in the US have the cold weather package. No heated seats, no headlight washers, etc.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
So glad I managed to get my particular E46 - has every single possible option save for Nav and the auto dim rear mirror. ZSP/ZHP, ZCW, leather, fold down seats, moonroof, everything. It doesn't have the bluetooth or car alarm modules, but none of the NA E46s came from the factory with those anyways so I don't feel too bad about it (I also don't care about bluetoothing my phone to my car; I've got an ipod dock installed since all my music is on my ipod, not my phone).

Seeing how hard it is to find certain of those options, particularly paired with a manual transmission, makes me feel very lucky to have gotten my car for what I paid for it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I personally despise auto-dimming mirrors. Its soo much easier just twisting the clown nose. Like you I have just about every option save for auto-dimming/nav/bluetooth.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I wouldn't mind them if there was a manual override, they never seem to dim at the right time for me.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Neither of the M3s I've owned in the US have the cold weather package. No heated seats, no headlight washers, etc.

Maybe it's differnt for the Ms? I can't remember ever seeing a 335 that didn't have cold weather. I think though that the fold down seats are at least standard?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

So glad I managed to get my particular E46 - has every single possible option save for Nav and the auto dim rear mirror. ZSP/ZHP, ZCW, leather, fold down seats, moonroof, everything. It doesn't have the bluetooth or car alarm modules, but none of the NA E46s came from the factory with those anyways so I don't feel too bad about it (I also don't care about bluetoothing my phone to my car; I've got an ipod dock installed since all my music is on my ipod, not my phone).

Seeing how hard it is to find certain of those options, particularly paired with a manual transmission, makes me feel very lucky to have gotten my car for what I paid for it.

I had an E46 that the only packaged added was xenons. No sunroof, manual, etc. Loved that thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chinatown posted:

I personally despise auto-dimming mirrors. Its soo much easier just twisting the clown nose. Like you I have just about every option save for auto-dimming/nav/bluetooth.

Is that what that red thing is? What is that?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Is that what that red thing is? What is that?

If you have the BMW alarm, it blinks when the system is armed. Additionally, if you rotate the red knob, it causes the mirror to angle. They use that instead of the little black plastic lever many other cars use to tilt the mirror for night driving.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If you have the BMW alarm, it blinks when the system is armed. Additionally, if you rotate the red knob, it causes the mirror to angle. They use that instead of the little black plastic lever many other cars use to tilt the mirror for night driving.

I don't have an alarm but it blinks :ssh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Blinking led with no alarm crew, represent.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have an alarm, but i can't lock my doors because of it, because a strong wind sets it off...or a weak wind....or sunshine....or anything really.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Viper_3000 posted:

You're probably going to have to pull the door card from the inside then or cut it. It sucks but hopefully you can finagle it enough to get your arm in there to work thru the top and not have to cut it.

This looks most applicable to your situation as the e32 and e34 doors are extremely similar:

http://www.davintosh.com/2010/02/27/stuck-door-locks-on-a-bmw-e32-fun/

Thanks again for this, mate. Due to the Australian heat weakening the superior German adhesives in the door panel I was able to peel back some of the covering and cut away at the door panel material underneath, and it was pretty easy to get it all unlocked. It looks like the lock actuator is shot, but at least I can lock it and unlock it now!

BMWownership.txt

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Wrong thread. Sorry.

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 12, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The winter package on my E34 is awesome. LSD diff, headlight sprayers, and heated sport seats.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
How hard is it to do the front brakes on a 2004 X5 4.8is? I have a friend who was just taken for a ride on the rear brakes and is looking for help with the fronts. I've done brakes on my e30, my brother's e36, and a handful of other non-BMW cars several times, and I can't imagine it's that different. The catch is that he's far enough away that I can't bring any of my tools and I don't think he has anything except some basic hand tools. He was quoted around $800 for the job and to me it looks like parts should be no more than $200 if we do it ourselves, and let's say another $200 in tools still puts him ahead of the game.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

two_beer_bishes posted:

How hard is it to do the front brakes on a 2004 X5 4.8is? I have a friend who was just taken for a ride on the rear brakes and is looking for help with the fronts. I've done brakes on my e30, my brother's e36, and a handful of other non-BMW cars several times, and I can't imagine it's that different. The catch is that he's far enough away that I can't bring any of my tools and I don't think he has anything except some basic hand tools. He was quoted around $800 for the job and to me it looks like parts should be no more than $200 if we do it ourselves, and let's say another $200 in tools still puts him ahead of the game.

Front should be easier than rear, as there's no parking brake in the front. And at least on my E90, it was actually fairly easy. I can't imagine it would be that different, but maybe look for a diy to double check?

Edit: I'm not even clear what specific tools you'd need. The rotor was held in place with an Allen screw, and otherwise it's regular sockets

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 12, 2013

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I was looking into getting some HID led headlights for my e36. Anyone have experience with the DEPO lights out there? Turner sells the Hella lights for like $900 which is more than I am willing to spend on fancy lights. But the DEPO kit with LED halos is only $350 and I have no idea if that's a reasonable price or if it's a juink kit.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If its not factory OEM housings, its pretty much poo poo.

And if the housings are not designed for HID, then don't put HID bulbs in there. You are just scattering the light and blinding other drivers.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

two_beer_bishes posted:

A lot of the BMW forums have step-by-step instructions for basic maintenance like this. Some :google: will probably give you an idea what it involves and what tools are needed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chinatown posted:

I don't have an alarm but it blinks :ssh:

revmoo posted:

Blinking led with no alarm crew, represent.

Same. You can have the computer reflashed to have it blink regardless of the presence of an alarm at the dealership, the PO had it done.

8ender posted:

The winter package on my E34 is awesome. LSD diff, headlight sprayers, and heated sport seats.

Still upset that they stopped offering LSDs with the winter package by the time of the E46 :argh:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 12, 2013

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Stealth Like posted:

Maybe it's differnt for the Ms? I can't remember ever seeing a 335 that didn't have cold weather. I think though that the fold down seats are at least standard?

From what I can tell, coupes get folding rear seats standard, but the cold weather package was always a separate option. At least, that's what it was like for 1-series coupes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Same. You can have the computer reflashed to have it blink regardless of the presence of an alarm at the dealership, the PO had it done.

Still upset that they stopped offering LSDs with the winter package by the time of the E46 :argh:

They stopped offering LSDs in non M cars period

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Stopped with MY96 vehicles, sadly.

Apparently they are bringing them back soon though.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

Both my 2000 and 2002 E46's had blinking clown noses with no alarm, it's a nice feature.

BMW's modern age year to year options for the USA can be very confusing and it's completely dumb that there are thousands of E90 sedans out there without the fold down seats that would have been only $495 to add at the time of order.

To add to modern confusion.....during July and August 2013 thousands of M-Sport F10 5's were built without the 704 sports suspension (thinking dumb Americans wouldn't notice) and BMWNA only offered $390 to offended parties that figured it out and complained. Apparently some dick with a spreadsheet at BMWNA calculated that as the cost difference of the upgraded springs/sways/dampers that were to be included in 704 and they offered that and only that amount. After enthusiasts went insane they changed it back and added the 704 suspension to the M-Sport package beginning in Sept.

Some folks who ordered them flat out refused delivery and made their dealer re-order with varying levels of success. You will notice a lot of 2014 5's sitting at dealers that are mysteriously $3k cheaper than the ones built after July/August.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 12, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BraveUlysses posted:

Stopped with MY96 vehicles, sadly.

Apparently they are bringing them back soon though.

Only as a part you can buy from your dealership and have put onto your car after it has been delivered.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Front should be easier than rear, as there's no parking brake in the front. And at least on my E90, it was actually fairly easy. I can't imagine it would be that different, but maybe look for a diy to double check?

Edit: I'm not even clear what specific tools you'd need. The rotor was held in place with an Allen screw, and otherwise it's regular sockets

This guy doesn't even have floor jack or stands, so we'd need to get those in addition to the sockets.

Das Volk posted:

A lot of the BMW forums have step-by-step instructions for basic maintenance like this. Some :google: will probably give you an idea what it involves and what tools are needed.

I don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess I'm just used to this being my go-to BMW source. It looks like all other BMW brake jobs I've done, so we'll give it a shot!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FYI Bimmerworld is doing a 12 days of christmas thing, today's sales are here: http://store.bimmerworld.com/lynn---order-processing-c119.aspx

best deal of the day, $110 w/ free shipping:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/2013-12-lists-of-christmas---thursday-december-12-only---bwsport-trackcab-solid-control-arm-mounts-p2160.aspx

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Popete posted:

So I was looking into getting some HID led headlights for my e36. Anyone have experience with the DEPO lights out there? Turner sells the Hella lights for like $900 which is more than I am willing to spend on fancy lights. But the DEPO kit with LED halos is only $350 and I have no idea if that's a reasonable price or if it's a juink kit.

Supposedly the mounting tabs are weak on DEPO frames. If you're going to go this route, please replace the HID bulbs with H1 - they work pretty well as just halogen projectors, and won't blind others.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just get euro projectors. There's a reason depos are 1/4 the cost.

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to order a SPAL fan and 3.5" ASC delete boot from them, but now I'll wait to see if they drop prices on anything else. That's a good deal on the stewart pump.

I've been slowly ordering stuff from my winter maintenance list, I came up with 63 items :v:

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 13, 2013

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Anyone have opinions on these mounts in a street use context? I'm buying front suspension overhaul parts for my '97 M3 and am thinking about these BWSport mounts - but that also means going with non-M/'95 M3 control arms. I don't mind a bit of NVH; the car has TCKline Koni's that are usually cranked to nearly full stiff.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I'm at my wits end now, maybe one of you guys can help before I just throw it at my local shop again and hand them stacks of money to fix it.

2000 323ci with P1188/P1189 codes (Indicates a lean condition)

Replaced so far:
New cold weather CCV and hoses
New DISA (old one had a faulty vacuum pot)
New Intake boots
Cracked valve cover (and gasket) were replaced by my shop most recently as I didn't have the time/didn't want to do that job in the cold.

Still getting the codes, normally triggers on the highway, but I'm not positive it's just a highway problem.
Here's min/max/average values for a 25/30 minute drive (mixed city/highway/city):

LTFT seems to just sit at 11.7% at warm idle or cruising on the highway, it dropped to 10.9% briefly while cruising at highway speeds.

While sitting at idle I removed the oil fill cap and STFT jumped to 15% along with an increase in idle speed. (Still a possible VCG leak maybe?)

I'm not really sure where to look next. Any ideas?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Does anyone have experience with Delrin front control arm bushings? I'm going to do some winter :homebrew: to my e36 M3 which is an autocross/track day/weekend car. I'm waffling between TC Kline SA or Ground Control coilovers and will probably get a set of Kosei K1s with BFG Rivals. I had Powerflex poly LCA bushings in my last e36 and liked them, but that was a street car and I wouldn't mind going a bit more aggressive. I just don't want it to be totally miserable on the street and would like to be able to do a few hours on the highway without hating myself.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

User Error posted:

Does anyone have experience with Delrin front control arm bushings? I'm going to do some winter :homebrew: to my e36 M3 which is an autocross/track day/weekend car. I'm waffling between TC Kline SA or Ground Control coilovers and will probably get a set of Kosei K1s with BFG Rivals. I had Powerflex poly LCA bushings in my last e36 and liked them, but that was a street car and I wouldn't mind going a bit more aggressive. I just don't want it to be totally miserable on the street and would like to be able to do a few hours on the highway without hating myself.

Poly control arms bushings shouldn't beat the poo poo out of you much for street use. It's when you start doing subframe, shock mount and engine/trans bushings that things get a bit uncomfortable and will rattle everything loose.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

F80/F82 M3/M4 press reveal was today

Good looking car as long as you like the current F30 styling.

Not much of a peak power bump over the previous generation, but mein gott that fat rear end power curve:

And they actually lost weight compared to the E9x! An F80 is probably in my future in a couple of years. Can't wait to see how they drive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
425hp/405ftlb Obviously the flat lines are a representation but still it makes me wonder what they will do with a tune.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

User Error posted:

I have delrin fcabs on my e30 325iS with soft-ish h&r coilovers and its not too bad compared to my 318iS with oem m3 centered rubber fcabs ground control coils. With the delrin, i like the directly connected feeling the car has with the road however I can really feel imperfections like washboarded roads.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So it is currently 10degrees F here and my 2000 e46 wagon wont start. It doesn't even crank. I turn the key, dash lights come on, air/heat/radio start, and there's a single, low "click" and then nothing. I'm afraid to even try it again for fear I'm doing damage. Any thoughts?

Edit: It's due for an oil change, but the dipstick shows regular levels. The coolant level is quite low, it turns out.

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

mutata posted:

So it is currently 10degrees F here and my 2000 e46 wagon wont start. It doesn't even crank. I turn the key, dash lights come on, air/heat/radio start, and there's a single, low "click" and then nothing. I'm afraid to even try it again for fear I'm doing damage. Any thoughts?

Edit: It's due for an oil change, but the dipstick shows regular levels. The coolant level is quite low, it turns out.

You aren't hurting anything. How old is your battery? That click is likely your starter solenoid engaging. A borderline battery in the warm will act like this in colder temps.