Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Those are actually cheap on Mazdaspeed:

NAY9-28-6AZ* BOLT,CAM( W/NUTS& PLATES) The regular price is $11.34
The sale price is $6.80

Looks like I'm going to try to order them on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Phone posted:

Those are actually cheap on Mazdaspeed:

NAY9-28-6AZ* BOLT,CAM( W/NUTS& PLATES) The regular price is $11.34
The sale price is $6.80

Looks like I'm going to try to order them on Monday.

Crap I new I should have tried harder to get mazdaspeed pricing this summer. Still need to order my timing belt kit too.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Which one would you guys buy?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/95-miata-71k-miles/74876/page1/
http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/cto/4184093470.html
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=521406

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The red NB is the best deal, I'd go for that.

Also, does anyone sell rebuilt depowered steering racks with a welded pinion gear?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Flyin Miata will (Or at least used to), but they're also probably not cheap.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

asmasm posted:

I am the guy making the intake. I put up an updated file this morning. I also have my elbow, couplers, and filter on their way to me so I will very soon be able to give some info on fitting those parts.

Direct link to 3d file:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:189320

Also, is thingiverse the primary repository for FDM models? Is there something else more popular/ maybe not owned by makerbot?

This is really cool, nice work! I want to install one of these just because I think it would be awesome to have a 3D printed part on my car.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The more I research suspension options the more confused I get uggggghhh. I think I'm going to get Vmaxx classics with a front RB sway bar unless the 949 Tecnas come out in the spring. Xida clubsports would be great but I think I'd rather use the difference to get a set of 15x9s + tires.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 7, 2013

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
My being a weight weenie has paid off so far:

Before next season I will have a hardtop and a lighter battery. That should get me down close to 2000lbs. Then a rollbar will bump me back up ~50lbs.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
A question on a MK1 battery.
While doing some quick checks and maintanance I noticed that the PO replaced the battery with one that is too large to sit correctly in the mounting bracket and is off to the right, it was tied down with a million crazy tied together zip ties and the one that held them all together has snapped. I have not noticed any issues or noise from this, but is it a potential hazzard like I think it is? And how would I mount a smaller battery correctly?

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013
Post which battery it is. Batteries should not be flopping around.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
My NC brakes have started to squeal really bad. Given the timing I'm not sure if their low or if its the Minnesota weather.

With 16k miles could they possibly be toast? Not tracked, and I'm not a heavy braker.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

asmasm posted:

My being a weight weenie has paid off so far:

Before next season I will have a hardtop and a lighter battery. That should get me down close to 2000lbs. Then a rollbar will bump me back up ~50lbs.

You can lose the air bag computer and crash sensors and all the associated wiring without hurting anything. You already don't have the air bags, might as well go all the way.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

farcry posted:

A question on a MK1 battery.
While doing some quick checks and maintanance I noticed that the PO replaced the battery with one that is too large to sit correctly in the mounting bracket and is off to the right, it was tied down with a million crazy tied together zip ties and the one that held them all together has snapped. I have not noticed any issues or noise from this, but is it a potential hazzard like I think it is? And how would I mount a smaller battery correctly?

Please God tell me it's at least a gel-cell battery.

asmasm
Nov 26, 2013

craig588 posted:

You can lose the air bag computer and crash sensors and all the associated wiring without hurting anything. You already don't have the air bags, might as well go all the way.

Yeah, that stuff is coming out when the dash is pulled. On the '95 the airbag stuff is harder to get at than a 94.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006

GD_American posted:

Please God tell me it's at least a gel-cell battery.

its a Banner Batterien uni bull 50 100. As far as I can tell its a wet battery there is no vissable method for it to release gas buildup, I think its been ok so far because of the spare tyre jack ect in the boot not allowing it much space to shift around. It looks like the origonal cable tie job was done because this battery has no way to be screwed into the brackets mounting points even if it was the right size. It looks like it was intended to be screwed down, not to the side.

I hate to say these words but if I go to halfords and buy a battery and pay for fitting will they put in a fitting battery and mount it correctly without just saying gently caress it? The origonal mounting brackets are still there so if there's something im missing here that would allow me to screw this one in I would rather do it myself then trust a halfords tech.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
On something like a Miata, I wouldn't count on a big-box store to have the specific bracket for your battery. I would order a replacement bracket from Flyin Miata and fix everything myself. Should be a ten minute fix, if that long.

1791apparel posted:

My NC brakes have started to squeal really bad. Given the timing I'm not sure if their low or if its the Minnesota weather.

With 16k miles could they possibly be toast? Not tracked, and I'm not a heavy braker.

You're fine, I've got twice that many miles on my original NC pads with heavy braking and some autox thrown in. Might be time to replace mine soon, though.

e: Now I'm paranoid that a bunch of guys are gonna tell me I'm lucky to be alive on my pads...

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 10, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Going to attempt my first replacement top job tomorrow. :ohdear:

Anything specific I should look out for? I'm going by this guide, since he seems just as OCD about tagging and bagging parts as I am, and I trust those kinds of folks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Take the frame off the car. Really I didn't have any issues, it's not complicated but it takes a little while.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Stretching the new top around the B pillar will seem impossible, but you just have to keep at it and it will happen eventually. That being said if it's cold it will be nearly impossible, you need to leave the top out in the sun for a good bit to get it nice and pliable, but if you live anywhere besides Florida that's no gonna happen this time of year. You need to figure out a way to get it nice and warm without melting it :v:

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

GOD IS BED posted:

On something like a Miata, I wouldn't count on a big-box store to have the specific bracket for your battery. I would order a replacement bracket from Flyin Miata and fix everything myself. Should be a ten minute fix, if that long.

You're fine, I've got twice that many miles on my original NC pads with heavy braking and some autox thrown in. Might be time to replace mine soon, though.

e: Now I'm paranoid that a bunch of guys are gonna tell me I'm lucky to be alive on my pads...

Haha, yeah I'm probably fine.

It's just irritating. It's 0* and I come along in my little black Miata squealing up the place. Oh well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

Stretching the new top around the B pillar will seem impossible, but you just have to keep at it and it will happen eventually. That being said if it's cold it will be nearly impossible, you need to leave the top out in the sun for a good bit to get it nice and pliable, but if you live anywhere besides Florida that's no gonna happen this time of year. You need to figure out a way to get it nice and warm without melting it :v:

Park it in the garage if you have one and bring it in the house. It's not too messy of a job to do so.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Any tips for removing a likely 17 year old o2 sensor without damaging something? I went at it with a breaker bar and thought i was going to gently caress the cylinder head up somehow. Heat generated by the engine itself and some PB blaster didnt do the trick. Should i put a jack on the manifold so the head isnt taking all the twisting force?

My car is made of misfires and exhaust leaks lately :(

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Soak it regularly for a few days and apply sharp blows to the breaker bar. You can cut the wires and use a regular deep socket for more grip(even better with air/power tools).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Got the new top installed. The B-Pillar was easy; I just moved the middle of the top away from the 3rd/4th bow until I got it riveted, then gently pulled the top back towards the front of the frame onto the bows. Everything else about the top->frame installation was easy.

However, if I ever have to do this again, I'm taking the goddamned rollbar out. Getting the ends of the rain rain onto those studs was pure hell. I'm glad I know how to see with my fingers.

I still haven't been able to get it latched :v:

EDIT: Just got the motherfucker latched. Looks awesome, feels awesome.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 12, 2013

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

farcry posted:

I hate to say these words but if I go to halfords and buy a battery and pay for fitting will they put in a fitting battery and mount it correctly without just saying gently caress it? The origonal mounting brackets are still there so if there's something im missing here that would allow me to screw this one in I would rather do it myself then trust a halfords tech.

Eeeee don't go to Halfords!

Use mx5parts: http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/westco-battery-mk1225-p-635.html

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

1791apparel posted:

Haha, yeah I'm probably fine.

It's just irritating. It's 0* and I come along in my little black Miata squealing up the place. Oh well.

You can probably fix that by re-bedding the pads; find a clear bit of road and make a series of hard stops, going from 30 mph to 0, 40-0, 50-0, 60-0, then going back down to 50-0, 40-0, and finally 30-0. Try not to stay on the brakes too long between stops, the rotors will be hot and susceptible to marking. By the same token, make sure to do a bit of driving afterward, to cool down the pads/rotors before putting the parking brake on.
The NC pads really love to squeal, so I have to this every few months.

vvvvv: 300 hp and non-convertible? You don't want a Miata, you want a Corvette or a M3 coupe, man.

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 12, 2013

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I've secretly liked Miatas. Probably the only reasonable car id be happy with like 300 crank hp.

If I ever had one though I'd have everything ready to drop in from the get go, n/a is painfully slow. Also not a fan of convertibles which most of them seem to be.

Also regardless of what is done they invariably sound pretty lovely to me, minus v8s.

It's something I consider ALL the time though ...

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
I don't think you "get" Miatas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

I've secretly liked Miatas. Probably the only reasonable car id be happy with like 300 crank hp.

If I ever had one though I'd have everything ready to drop in from the get go, n/a is painfully slow. Also not a fan of convertibles which most of them seem to be.

Also regardless of what is done they invariably sound pretty lovely to me, minus v8s.

It's something I consider ALL the time though ...

"I secretly like Miatas but hate everything they stand for" :lol:

Maybe you should just get a Mustang or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

"I secretly like Miatas but hate everything they stand for" :lol:

Maybe you should just get a Mustang or something?

My friends have taken to calling my Miata the "Girl Mustang."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My friends just call it gay :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Log Cabin Mustang Owner.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

My friends just call it gay :v:

That's almost asking too much from most of them. One of them does keep asking how my new career as a stylist is going though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Actually the friends I have that have ridden in it think it's cool now, one of them said "it's like riding in a rollercoaster". They all drive appliances except for one that has a brand spanking new Camaro SS vert.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Actually the friends I have that have ridden in it think it's cool now, one of them said "it's like riding in a rollercoaster". They all drive appliances except for one that has a brand spanking new Camaro SS vert.

My girlfriend loves it and wants one of her own and hers is the only opinion (other than AI of course) that I care about.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Good, keep that woman away from New Beetles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GOD IS BED posted:

Good, keep that woman away from New Beetles.

Working on it!

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I kind of regret selling my Miatas, what I thought was gonna be my fun car has been stolen by my wife. Leica, I'm taking mine back drat it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, I'll buy your Mazda wagon so you can buy another Miata :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TooLShack posted:

I kind of regret selling my Miatas, what I thought was gonna be my fun car has been stolen by my wife. Leica, I'm taking mine back drat it.

The MR-S not scratching that barebones convertible itch, eh?