Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Genocyber posted:

Starbound - READ THE loving CODEX [Steam Early Access]
...oh, that's what that book button is :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Are there only like four exploration songs in game right now? I figured that some more would play on different planet types, but haven't run into any new music at all so far.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
:psyduck: my abysmal luck with the Seed RNG for my Glitch's Boltbulbs has made my tiny crop drop ZERO seeds, and I can no longer plant them since eating the things does not produce seeds.

At least my Wheat seeds stockpile is pretty good at the moment, but drat game, just drat.

EDIT: nevermind, they somehow swapped places with a hotbar item :downs: no idea how that happened considering they were all full and I didn't have the pointer anywhere near it though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 13, 2013

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Are there only like four exploration songs in game right now? I figured that some more would play on different planet types, but haven't run into any new music at all so far.

Are you including the wacky alien music that plays on Tentacle planets?

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!
I'm not sure if I think it's safe to go to tentacle planets.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Not quite sure why so many people are bitching about coal being hard to find when you could get 1000 unrefined wood on a forest biome in 2minutes.

Liverslapper
Jun 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer

yancy2010 posted:

Not quite sure why so many people are bitching about coal being hard to find when you could get 1000 unrefined wood on a forest biome in 2minutes.

What does getting unrefined wood have to do with getting coal? You can't use unrefined wood as fuel anymore.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

To be fair, it's a little ridiculous that I find 10x as much Uranium than I do coal.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Liverslapper posted:

What does getting unrefined wood have to do with getting coal? You can't use unrefined wood as fuel anymore.

Put it in a smelter and hit smelt, it has a 10:1 conversion ratio to coal.

Liverslapper
Jun 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DanrewS posted:

Put it in a smelter and hit smelt, it has a 10:1 conversion ratio to coal.

Thanks for the information, because I had no idea. Time to smelt some....wood.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

To be fair, it's a little ridiculous that I find 10x as much Uranium than I do coal.

The later tiers of steel-like metals should probably need to be smelted together with something besides coal, once they get to making that content for real. Maybe even smelting different tiers of metals together, or a common metal with a precious metal, or with the uranium/plutonium/solarium that are everywhere.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So I know we already have a spreadsheet and a word processor Google Doc for tracking star systems, but if forms is your thing, I thought I'd throw this easily-fillable-outable option in the ring. I'll see what I can do about getting each sector onto its own sub-spreadsheet at some point.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

What's the strategy for fighting the Inactive Robot? I'm about to plop it down for the first time and want to make sure I'm ready.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What's the strategy for fighting the Inactive Robot? I'm about to plop it down for the first time and want to make sure I'm ready.

I found a random weapon from a tier 2 dungeon and just hit him a bunch with it. Have some bandages on you. He pretty much runs at player run speed, so you can just run backwards meleeing him as he chases you, then (if you've got the double jump tech) jump over him and do it the other way. Repeat for victory.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
There's the always viable strategy of trapping him in a noob cube and stabbing him with a spear.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I bought this game sort of by impulse but I have to say I`m having a lot of fun.

Also, I must confess that lately I have acquired quite the bias against console and multi-plataform game development, and that has kept me away from Terraria so far. So, that was clearly a concern I had when I bought Starbound. But from what I`ve seen the devs seem to want to keep the game faithful to the PC format (mod support, constant updates, etc.) and that gives me a lot of hope.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
So I'm in the Gamma sector, full suit of Titanium racial armor, decent (not great) melee weapon, and I don't see how I'm supposed to beat the boss without a gun. That said, I also have absolutely no idea where to get a gun. I've cleared out two USMC prisons and an Avian tomb out here and found nothing. :smith:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm in the beta system, and I'm confused as to where I'm supposed to go next. I've mainly been farting around gathering coal, diamonds, and platinum while clearing out hostile dungeons and such. I've crafted the brain zapper thing but I don't know where I'm supposed to go with that. Is there a tech advancement that will point me in the right direction?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BaconPigbutt posted:

Also, I must confess that lately I have acquired quite the bias against console and multi-plataform game development, and that has kept me away from Terraria so far. So, that was clearly a concern I had when I bought Starbound. But from what I`ve seen the devs seem to want to keep the game faithful to the PC format (mod support, constant updates, etc.) and that gives me a lot of hope.
Devs, add controller support to Starbound, thanks in advance

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Chocolate Donuts posted:

So I'm in the Gamma sector, full suit of Titanium racial armor, decent (not great) melee weapon, and I don't see how I'm supposed to beat the boss without a gun. That said, I also have absolutely no idea where to get a gun. I've cleared out two USMC prisons and an Avian tomb out here and found nothing. :smith:

-71758966, -64621194
Gama Aquacia 1409 III a

86933046, 73558744
Gamma Baomra 173 II

Both planets are listed in the spreadsheet as having pirate airships to the left of spawn (look for an anchor and go up). These will have quartermasters that will sell you guns. Assuming they haven't been murdered by birds, of course.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Indecisive posted:

I did it today after all the balance tweaks and it seems pretty reasonable to do, I made a little boss arena out of platforms to jump around in first so I could have all the mobility possibly needed. Started out using the Iron Bow which was slow, and with him summoning dudes I figured way too slow, so I chased it around with my big slow hammer instead. Had a 2-h hammer that did 20 per swing and that killed him pretty effectively, took a minute or two and a lot of jumping around. The damage from the boss wasn't too bad either, I had a full set of crafted race armor and a bunch of bandages + red healing needles, didn't really need much healing though. I'd imagine taking him down with the bow being incredibly slow + frustrating having with it doing so little damage, and having to run around dodging the little penguin summons forever.

I killed him last night with no armor, using only a Steel hunting bow. Took about a minute, and I only ended up having to use a bandage. He's really easy if you take the time to get a decent bow/weapon first, but you don't need to waste time making armor first.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Robot Randy posted:

I'm in the beta system, and I'm confused as to where I'm supposed to go next. I've mainly been farting around gathering coal, diamonds, and platinum while clearing out hostile dungeons and such. I've crafted the brain zapper thing but I don't know where I'm supposed to go with that. Is there a tech advancement that will point me in the right direction?

Look at the other stuff you can craft. Mainly, the robot stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Double jump at his face when he's not breathing fire. Also fight on a longish stretch of wooden platform a good bit above the ground to avoid the little fires his breath leaves. It helps to have a lightning weapon but it's not required.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Help. I'm having more fun modding the game than playing it...

Probably because I can work on this while studying honestly. Can't really play games when I'm studying.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I may be a robot, but my ship is a cyborg! Had alot of fun messing around with the make your own spaceship mod, how is this thing not getting added to the vanilla game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're ant people! Can they dig their own tunnels? :3:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Tenzarin posted:

I may be a robot, but my ship is a cyborg! Had alot of fun messing around with the make your own spaceship mod, how is this thing not getting added to the vanilla game.

It would be awesome if the feature was added to the base game with the option to 'lock' your ship so that the current rules for ship modification apply.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

James Totes posted:

There's the always viable strategy of trapping him in a noob cube and stabbing him with a spear.

Noob cube?

Don't knock on the joys of becoming a Dirt Lantern.

There's something deeply satisfying about catching all these vicious nasties mid air inside dirt cubes and then extracting their brains through a small opening.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

SynthOrange posted:

They're ant people! Can they dig their own tunnels? :3:

They're more "bug people" than ant people. I haven't really decided on their building style yet, but tunnels were an idea I had. Particularly for the hostile ones. It'd be neat to have more organically dug dungeons lined with things, rather than just the blocky scifi and avian dungeons we have now.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
So is this game worth buying? I was going to get it for my brother but I hear it's a bit tedious.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bigup DJ posted:

So is this game worth buying? I was going to get it for my brother but I hear it's a bit tedious.

The game just started an early beta test. There's really nothing concrete to say right now other than it's kind of like Terraria in space.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

James Totes posted:

The robot actually can punch through walls, though he doesn't use the move very often.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Stiggs posted:

Having to edit the player.config to add recipes kind of sucks. Makes modding in new items kind of lovely because there's constantly going to be conflicts. :(
Pages back but this is literally the most important modding issue there is right now. There needs to be like some way to just add a file and have it automatically read, or just to define within a recipe file itself "automatically known at this tier:" or something. Because the way it's balanced now, adding a recipe to start with means you HAVE to put it in player.config, and even remotely intuitive stuff like making it so you learn how to craft decorations/building blocks after finding a premade one yourself would literally require editing every block you intend to learn one by one.

Something needs to change about recipes.
The bright side is that once it does, most mods will basically be functional forever, unless they conflict with some core mechanic that gets rehauled. That biofuel mod for instance would be good pretty much indefinitely if it didn't have to add its own recipe.
I'm so used to stuff like Terraria which doesn't support modding normally at all, or Minecraft which bricks every mod with even the slightest update and requires all kinds of infrastructure, because goddamn the idea of just taking a mod and having it from then on is just really nice.

So to summarize: We need a better way to add mod recipes.

Zethe
Jun 30, 2012
I'm pretty sure the whole mod your own spaceship will become an official part of the game. The devs have already mentioned star ship upgrades. The mod is literally the one reason worth building in this game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey, I figured out why notepad was screwing up my tools. Turn off word wrap and the files save properly and the game launches without a hitch. :toot:

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

So has anybody seen that the official mod repository is up?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/

Most downloaded mod:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ponex-1-3.58/

:cripes:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh hey what do we have here on the official mod site?

Starbound Difficulty Mod posted:

Base health, energy, and breath is reduced by 50%.
Air depletes twice as fast while underwater; the breath meter takes twice as long to refill.
Hunger meter drops twice as fast.
Sectors now have planets that are up to two levels higher than the sector level e.g. Alpha Sector has planet levels 1-3, Beta Sector has planet levels 2-4 etc.
Planet threat levels are hidden from the player so that the player does not know if they are on a higher level planet or a standard level planet.
Bandages healing rate has been reduced by almost 70% - they are now only useful to tide the player over rather than act as a regen item. Dodging is now a must.
Bandages require four pieces of fabric, and to be crafted at a spinning wheel.
Torches aren't crafted in pairs. And you also need one iron ore per torch. Flashlight at the ready!
No item can now be crafted by hand (a crafting table is provided at the start); all items must be crafted before venturing out.
Pixel penalty has been increased to 50%.
Light travels less further through blocks making ores trickier to find, and caves even more dangerous to navigate.
Triple the hazards underground. Mind your step!
50% fewer chests on the surface, minibiomes, and middle layers.
20% more chests underground.
Punishing fall damage is back. Look before you leap!
Greater differentiation between poison and burning.
Coal is less efficient as fuel. Plan your trips carefully in the early stages of the game.
Minecraft is leaking.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I have a horse head mask.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It won't let me download any mods :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sorry for so many posts but

Tyty posted:

Help. I'm having more fun modding the game than playing it...
That's not really a problem at all. In fact it's sort of what they want. Tiy specifically said he saw Starbound as a sort of platform, even more than a game. A structure for people to branch out from. Especially once it's done (and maybe we've had a few updates specifically aimed at modding) it's going to be one big loving solid sandbox game and people can build on top of it however they want. Some of the ways people have changed Minecraft on a fundamental level are really impressive and this game is so pliable even in its first week, people are still figuring out exactly what's even possible. That means less than a week to figure out the game, interpret the modding, test the boundaries, and then actually make something, complete with code, art assets, etc.
Basically if this continues to go and grow like this it's going to be something awesome to behold.

• Locked thread