Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kikas posted:

The next obvious step is modding your ship to look like Snuggly The Crow.

Well, they both gave me permission to pack it up in a mod folder zip, so if you want to use it...

I may ask them if they're cool with me making this a more robust mod where the bonfire is its own crafting station to make progressively better Estus Flasks that restore more health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
What are the main stats I need to fiddle with on the beamaxe to speed it up/size it up. I know it's been posted here, but lordy does this thread move fast.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

What are the main stats I need to fiddle with on the beamaxe to speed it up/size it up. I know it's been posted here, but lordy does this thread move fast.

Edit C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools\beamaxe.beamaxe:

fireTime is how fast the "beam" fires, and lowering this from default of 0.25 will make it mine faster.
blockRadius is the size of the square mining area, and increasing this from default of 2 will make it larger (don't go above 7x7 for now because of a "anti-cheat" change that was made - this can be changed but I forget the file)
altBlockRadius is the size of the square mining area when holding Shift. Same thing applies as above, default is 1.

You can also make it one-handed (so you can use a flashlight at the same time) by changing twoHanded to false.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Party Alarm posted:

It does. Crafted food can provide buffs - there's a pie that increases your movement speed and burgers heal you better than red stims.

The unfortunate point is that crafting food right now is impossible for most people due to the backwards nature of the recipe system. Even when you manage to track down some foods and maybe recipe blueprints and scan/use them, you still have to find the kitchen crafting TABLE item completely randomly in a village. Most villages just spawn with the brick oven that looks a bit like a smelter and only preforms the functions of a campfire. Why are such common items not given to you in your default loadout or easily obtainable through an NPC that still gives you a sense of progression? That's why the main predecessor to this game had the Guide character did it not? You built him a house and he taught you to make some more essentials.

When you upgrade to a metallurgy station from your anvil, it still preforms all the functions of an anvil and requires your anvil as a material component. Same as when you upgrade the crafting bench to a robotic crafting bench. This is not true of the upgrade from campfire to smelter. It's needlessly frustrating when you instinctively try to cook iron ore or smelt meat on your ship for the 10th time, as these are the only two interactives that have that kind of menu. The campfire should really be changed to a crafting bench style menu and cooked meat changed to a 1 ingredient crafting recipe.

Hell why does the smelter work like it does anyways? It takes me 0.5 seconds to craft 300 bandages or 300 Steel bars or 300 plank blocks from logs. But it takes like 3 minutes to smelt 300 Iron bars for no reason other then the fact it's a little Minecraft smelting station instead of a crafting bench like the rest of the furnishings. It's unintuitive because it's never really clear how far you can get from a smelting device before the automated process stops. I find myself having less fun when I have to remember to stick food in the campfire and ore in the smelter (Of which I now have like 3 going) before using my ship's bed and alt tabbing for 5 min to let all the crafting finish.

Though I suppose we'll have mods to fix all of that in a week anyways :)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

assets/items/tools, open beamaxe.beamaxe in Notepad and change"firetime" to 0.whatever.

Methinks this needs to go in the OP already.

e: beaten terribly, that is what I get for not refreshing the Starbound thread of all threads

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

zolthorg posted:

The unfortunate point is that crafting food right now is impossible for most people due to the backwards nature of the recipe system. Even when you manage to track down some foods and maybe recipe blueprints and scan/use them, you still have to find the kitchen crafting TABLE item completely randomly in a village. Most villages just spawn with the brick oven that looks a bit like a smelter and only preforms the functions of a campfire.

When you upgrade to a metallurgy station from your anvil, it still preforms all the functions of an anvil and requires your anvil as a material component. Same as when you upgrade the crafting bench to a robotic crafting bench. This is not true of the upgrade from campfire to smelter. It's needlessly frustrating when you instinctively try to cook iron ore or smelt meat on your ship for the 10th time, as these are the only two interactives that have that kind of menu. The campfire should really be changed to a crafting bench style menu and cooked meat changed to a 1 ingredient crafting recipe.

Hell why does the smelter work like it does anyways? It takes me 0.5 seconds to craft 300 bandages or 300 Steel bars or 300 plank blocks from logs. But it takes like 3 minutes to smelt 300 Iron bars for no reason other then the fact it's a little Minecraft smelting station instead of a crafting bench like the rest of the furnishings. It's unintuitive because it's never really clear how far you can get from a smelting device before the automated process stops. I find myself having less fun when I have to remember to stick food in the campfire and ore in the smelter (Of which I now have like 3 going) before using my ship's bed and alt tabbing for 5 min to let all the crafting finish.

Er, I'm 99% sure I could just craft the cooking table. I didn't need to find it anywhere.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks Zoe and Kyrosiris.

I think you're right about putting this in the OP.
I did find some info, but i think it must have been from earlier in thread as it crashed my game. Your tips work fine thanks.
Off to lay waste to some planets.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

zolthorg posted:

The unfortunate point is that crafting food right now is impossible for most people due to the backwards nature of the recipe system. Even when you manage to track down some foods and maybe recipe blueprints and scan/use them, you still have to find the kitchen crafting TABLE item completely randomly in a village. Most villages just spawn with the brick oven that looks a bit like a smelter and only preforms the functions of a campfire. Why are such common items not given to you in your default loadout or easily obtainable through an NPC that still gives you a sense of progression? That's why the main predecessor to this game had the Guide character did it not? You built him a house and he taught you to make some more essentials.

You don't have to steal a kitchen table, there is a Wooden Cooking Table available from the base crafting table, wood planks + a couple copper bars. But yeah, I want to smelt meat. It's also a pain to get your hands on seeds for recipes, and some starting combos are way more useful than others. Apex has banana bread/battered bananas, both of which have lots of health regen and only require wheat plus bananas, and you start with seeds for both.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Er, I'm 99% sure I could just craft the cooking table. I didn't need to find it anywhere.

That is correct. It can be crafted at the crafting table.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Its great how the one race that the Florans really like is the one race they can't eat.
Yeah, I also got that vibe. One of them said that he tried to eat a Glitch once but wouldn't recommend it :v:

More random things

While exploring a forest world, I found this campsite. When I followed the tunnel to the right, it led me into some kind of abandoned mine. The place was quite large, and fully lined with wood and platforms. Was full of monsters too. It had a bunch of little camps scattered about, and tons of boxes with some random loot like flares and first aid kits.

Forest worlds also have a good chance to spawn bandit camps. Some of the jerks even carry guns, but I haven't seen them drop one so far.

But if you fight enough of them, you can become a proud owner of this neat hood.

Found this on a desert world. The Apex was rolling around in a wheelchair and attacked me with a zappy gun.

The various codex entries that you can find in villages are also pretty funny. I found a series of books in an Avian village, called "The Kluex Delusion" by Rochard Hawkwings. It has five parts, and this particular page made me lmao.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So does anyone know what the "amount" variable for the bandage status effect does? Normal bandages are listed at 0.8 and that :spergin: "difficulty mod" has them at 0.25, but I'm not sure what that reflects.

(Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to properly scale up bandage healing across all of the tiers as part of my estus flask mod I talked about above.)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Gaukler posted:

You don't have to steal a kitchen table, there is a Wooden Cooking Table
No there isn't, no there is- :downs:

They need to add in some more beginner quests that tell you when you have stuff.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So how can I check which character data belongs to which character? I have only one save, but 3 sets of character data files in the "player" folder, and I want to try out the Sandbox Ship mod.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Is whoever made that ant race mod planning on releasing it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kikas posted:

So how can I check which character data belongs to which character? I have only one save, but 3 sets of character data files in the "player" folder, and I want to try out the Sandbox Ship mod.

Easiest way would be to delete the character sets one at a time and load the game to see who is missing.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kikas posted:

If you open them in notepad they will have the character name printed in plaintext near the top of the file. If they're all the same name because you remade your character 10 times to attempt to get the correct undy colour as a human then you have to rely on the file-creation-dates which you can check in windows / unix.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

The various codex entries that you can find in villages are also pretty funny. I found a series of books in an Avian village, called "The Kluex Delusion" by Rochard Hawkwings. It has five parts, and this particular page made me lmao.

Man, I kind of hope that the Miniknog and Big Ape turn out to be an nWo parody that went too far and somehow got a fascist space cult attached now.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I'm glad so much of the lore and flavor text in this game is already complete because I think it is probably the most successful and good thing this game does.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Kyrosiris posted:

You can also make it one-handed (so you can use a flashlight at the same time) by changing twoHanded to false.

If you make your beamaxe one-handed, you can't use the right click on it, and can't destroy blocks in the background. I would leave it two-handed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

rhoga posted:

If you make your beamaxe one-handed, you can't use the right click on it, and can't destroy blocks in the background. I would leave it two-handed.

Couldn't you use the L/R slots and switch them to do that?

Edit: Like, put MM in the left hand, flashlight in the right hand, and use the key that swaps them (Z, I think?) when you need to mine background walls.

az
Dec 2, 2005

My friends network lag problems were solved by reinstalling the game, it's a mystery :allears:

Kyrosiris posted:

So does anyone know what the "amount" variable for the bandage status effect does? Normal bandages are listed at 0.8 and that :spergin: "difficulty mod" has them at 0.25, but I'm not sure what that reflects.

(Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to properly scale up bandage healing across all of the tiers as part of my estus flask mod I talked about above.)

It determines the amount healed, 0.8 is 25, if you double it to 1.6 you get 50hp per.

Oh btw, how do you activate the racial armor bonuses? My avian is supposed to glide but I keep throwing myself off cliffs in full steel armor and nothing.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Kyrosiris posted:

Edit C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools\beamaxe.beamaxe:

fireTime is how fast the "beam" fires, and lowering this from default of 0.25 will make it mine faster.
blockRadius is the size of the square mining area, and increasing this from default of 2 will make it larger (don't go above 7x7 for now because of a "anti-cheat" change that was made - this can be changed but I forget the file)
altBlockRadius is the size of the square mining area when holding Shift. Same thing applies as above, default is 1.

In summary using notepad++ you can edit these three files to change your MM to be as big as you want it:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\items\tools\beamaxe.beamaxe
code:
{
  "inspectionKind" : "tool",
  "category" : "Tool",
  "fireTime" : 0.01,              <-- Change this to change the interval of 'hits' (Lower=Faster Time)
  "blockRadius" : 10,             <-- Change this to change the Diameter
  "altBlockRadius" : 1,           <-- Change this to change the shift-diameter
  "twoHanded" : true,
  "critical" : true,
  "strikeSound" : "/sfx/tools/pickaxe_hit.wav",
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\starbound.config
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\default_configuration.config
code:
"serverPasswords" : [ "", "duckies", "swordfish" ],
  "sfxVol" : 100,
  "speechBubbles" : true,
  "tileDamageLimit" : 10000,      <-- Change this to increase how many blocks can be destroyed at once
  "title.connectionString" : "255.255.255.255",
  "upnpPortForwarding" : true,
  "useDefaultWorldCoordinate" : false,

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Couldn't you use the L/R slots and switch them to do that?

Edit: Like, put MM in the left hand, flashlight in the right hand, and use the key that swaps them (Z, I think?) when you need to mine background walls.

Yes you can. You can also shift+# to quickly put a one-handed item in your off-hand.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Machai posted:

Yes you can. You can also shift+# to quickly put a one-handed item in your off-hand.

:stare:

That isn't documented in any of the codices, is it?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

az posted:

My friends network lag problems were solved by reinstalling the game, it's a mystery :allears:

It determines the amount healed, 0.8 is 25, if you double it to 1.6 you get 50hp per.

Oh btw, how do you activate the racial armor bonuses? My avian is supposed to glide but I keep throwing myself off cliffs in full steel armor and nothing.

I don't think they are implemented yet. This is probably one of the reasons there are no ocean planets yet as without Hylotl armor you would be screwed. My guess is only the higher tier sets will have the bonuses anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

az posted:

25 HP spread across 5 ticks? Okay, that is a good jump-off point. I wish I knew why/how some intersection of 0.8 and 0.1450 (the amount in the bandage.statuseffect file) computes to 25 though. :saddowns:

Also, racial armor bonuses aren't implemented yet.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I'm not sure if this has been asked 1000x or not, but does anyone know of any reliable server hosting? I'd like to setup a 1-5 player server that is persistent that my friends and I can use.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bugamol posted:

I'm not sure if this has been asked 1000x or not, but does anyone know of any reliable server hosting? I'd like to setup a 1-5 player server that is persistent that my friends and I can use.

Are you okay with getting your hands dirty in the nuts-and-bolts of installing it yourself, or do you need it pre-installed? If the former, you should be able to use any VPS hosting that appeals to you. If the latter, I don't think there's any game server hosting companies doing Starbound servers yet. There's apparently going to be an official provider that Chucklefish is partnered with, though.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I think the cloning process may be bugged.

Requesting a mod to make this an actual hairstyle.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Are you okay with getting your hands dirty in the nuts-and-bolts of installing it yourself, or do you need it pre-installed? If the former, you should be able to use any VPS hosting that appeals to you. If the latter, I don't think there's any game server hosting companies doing Starbound servers yet. There's apparently going to be an official provider that Chucklefish is partnered with, though.

What are we looking at RAM-wise for hosting? I was trying to find some numbers but couldn't get anything consistent.

I have five people, I think. My VPS has 1G RAM (RamNode) but half of that is needed for an MC server.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Machai posted:

I don't think they are implemented yet. This is probably one of the reasons there are no ocean planets yet as without Hylotl armor you would be screwed. My guess is only the higher tier sets will have the bonuses anyway.

It makes me sad there aren't any water worlds yet. I keep rolling hylotl just for those sweet paper lanterns and wall panels. They look similar to the lights in apex villages, but they have a red glow; gives more ambiance. Once water worlds are in I can be the most gaijin apex ever: wall panels, paper lanterns, and apex propaganda posters.

Also it looks like I should actually use the kitchens I keep making in my houses. I usually manage to find an apex village to make a 50's style kitchen, but I have yet to cook anything over space meat. Also, I don't know if it was mentioned, but Apex villages have ovens that serve the same purpose as campfires; makes the feng shui of my kitchens flow way better.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

What are we looking at RAM-wise for hosting? I was trying to find some numbers but couldn't get anything consistent.

I have five people, I think. My VPS has 1G RAM (RamNode) but half of that is needed for an MC server.

I was using something like 400M for the server executable with no one on it on my VPS (also 1G, running Terraria as well). No idea how that ramps up with people active, though.

Edit: Base player HP is 100, right? Meaning, if you have the tier 10 armor that gives +400 HP, you have a total of 500?

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Making a thing what looks cool, for fun times.

Probably better off doing that on a server where someone might actually see or interact with it though.
I figured so but building stuff just for looks ain`t really fun for me. I hope somebody can mod physics and complex structures like mining plants and stuff in the game. Was hoping you could like make one planet your home base and turn it into a huge space port from where you can start invading other plants with AI or something.

DrunkYardGnome
Jul 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I was using something like 400M for the server executable with no one on it on my VPS (also 1G, running Terraria as well). No idea how that ramps up with people active, though.

Edit: Base player HP is 100, right? Meaning, if you have the tier 10 armor that gives +400 HP, you have a total of 500?

This is correct.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DrunkYardGnome posted:

This is correct.

Fantastic. And now I have baseline numbers to start working on an "improved bandages/improved estus flasks" mod.

Edit: Five new tiers of bandage planned out in this, that would basically ensure if you're using the newest bandage available, you only ever need to use, at most, five bandages to go from 1 HP to full.

Current Bandage: 0.8 (25 HP)
Bandage II: 1.08 (34 HP)(tier 2)
Bandage III: 1.6 (50 HP) (tier 4)
Bandage IV: 2.048 (64 HP) (tier 6)
Bandage V: 2.752 (86 HP) (tier 8)
Bandage VI: 3.2 (100 HP) (tier 10)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 13, 2013

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

I found a very... interesting planet...

Gamma Sector -70941585 56496847 "Gamma Kaus Media Keid 135 III d" Since the name is cut off it is the rightmost planet.

The spawn:

If you go up a little ways you reach the asteroids:

Where you end up if you survive the fall:

The top of that ledge:

Bottom:

Other side:

If you keep going left there is a big penal colony and some florans. Theres also a little glitch cave right below the bottom of the left edge you can see the start of in the screenshot.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So I started making a MEGAS mech tech. So far just have the body sprite.

I am at a loss for what weapons to include. Should I just have finger-guns or should I try to make something more crazy like chest rockets or headlight-lasers?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Machai posted:

So I started making a MEGAS mech tech. So far just have the body sprite.

I am at a loss for what weapons to include. Should I just have finger-guns or should I try to make something more crazy like chest rockets or headlight-lasers?

While in the mech:
-Press W to fire rockets
-Press A to fire rockets
-Press S to fire rockets
-Press D to fire rockets
-Press space to destroy the city (again)

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Found a Pulse Jump tech on my starting planet, is there anything I have to do aside from eat the blueprint and go back up to my ship to use it? It doesn't seem to want to let me equip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't understand how to make mods work. Everything has a different install readme and absolutely none of them have done anything so far. Sometimes it tells me to put stuff in 'Starbound/mods', sometimes 'Starbound/assets/mods', sometimes I have to balance on one leg while patting my head and rubbing my tummy and man I just don't get it. Do I have to make a new character for mods to show up? That kinda sucks if so.

• Locked thread