Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Yes, it's worth to mention that wizard slayers can equip the amulet of the seldarine (despite they can't wear amulets) which gives 10% resistance, the rest can be easily achieved with one of the rewards of the challenges at the end of BG2 or the machine of Lump the Mad in Watcher's Keep.

The casting failure effect is only marginally useful, so don't bother trying to abuse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lordpen posted:

I thought of a build with one using the soul reaver +4, that removes 2 thaco on every hit. Greater whirlwind fools for 100% cast failure and no thaco, profit?

Never did bother though.
There would be no point. Just gib stuff in general at that level if it's even going to be effected by the cast failure in the first place. Everything else are giant physical damage HP sponge machines.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I posted this in the "What should I do the first time" thread, but this may actually be a better place...

In Baldur's Gate II (Enhanced Edition if it matters) What is max level I can safely dual class and still reach a respectable level with both classes? I'm currently a level 11 Swashbuckler and I was thinking about dual classing a fighter. I pretty much just started the game and am still in Chapter two. Or should I just forget about the idea?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wouldn't even bother. Do a Fighter/Thief multi if you want to play that type of character, so you can pull from both HLA lists, and have all the good thief skills on one character.

As it is if you dual from Swash to Fighter you're basically just gaining 2 AC and 2 Damage per hit over playing a vanilla fighter. Your level 11 swashbuckler required 220,000 experience, so your fighter will need to accumulate 1,000,000 experience to regain your swashbuckler perks. Which is doable but it's going to be annoying if it's your first time through the game (don't dual on your first play through is what most people suggest).

If you stay as Swash you'll keep gaining more bonus damage per hit which actually adds up, and you would be well advised to crank your AC up as high as possible while wearing Jan's adventure wear or something in ToB once you have the Use Any Item HLA, for the resistances to make up for a lack of hardiness HLAs.

You're only going to lose out on 1 APR I believe by staying swash, as I believe specilization and grandmastery do not apply to swashbucklers, and I think some thac0 and obviously some HP.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Factor_VIII posted:

From what I've gathered from these threads, people just toss it into a bag of holding and promptly forget about its existence.

but... but... there's no air inside a Bag of Holding.. :aaa:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is there any way to keep a Ranger from falling? I want to try playing a game where I shooting everyone I want and being a bandit for once and an Archer would be perfect for it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nope, Rangers in 2nd edition are goody goodies. Play as a fighter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Decrepus posted:

Is there any way to keep a Ranger from falling? I want to try playing a game where I shooting everyone I want and being a bandit for once and an Archer would be perfect for it.

Keep your reputation above 4 or so. 2E rangers are Aragorn.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Rascyc posted:

You're only going to lose out on 1 APR I believe by staying swash, as I believe specilization and grandmastery do not apply to swashbucklers, and I think some thac0 and obviously some HP.

2 APR less, 4 APR less with Imp Haste. Granted, a Swashy can have Scarlet Ninja-to and Belm for 4 baseline APR, but that means no using the highest damage weapons.

If one knows how to use EEKeeper, make a fighter/thief multiclass and then edit in the Swashbuckler kit. Warning: the combination is quite cheesy.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 12, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Excelzior posted:

but... but... there's no air inside a Bag of Holding.. :aaa:
To be fair, there's enough air for 10 minutes, right? The baby will just have to hold its breath.

caleramaen posted:

Nope, Rangers in 2nd edition are goody goodies. Play as a fighter.
Agreed. Vanilla Fighters can be excellent archers since they can get grandmastery. Admittedly they're not as good as the Archer kit, but on the other hand they have greater flexibility since they can wear any armor and specialize on any weapon. Going with an elf for the 19 Dex and extra +1 to bows is also recommended.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I wouldn't even bother. Do a Fighter/Thief multi if you want to play that type of character, so you can pull from both HLA lists, and have all the good thief skills on one character.

As it is if you dual from Swash to Fighter you're basically just gaining 2 AC and 2 Damage per hit over playing a vanilla fighter. Your level 11 swashbuckler required 220,000 experience, so your fighter will need to accumulate 1,000,000 experience to regain your swashbuckler perks. Which is doable but it's going to be annoying if it's your first time through the game (don't dual on your first play through is what most people suggest).

If you stay as Swash you'll keep gaining more bonus damage per hit which actually adds up, and you would be well advised to crank your AC up as high as possible while wearing Jan's adventure wear or something in ToB once you have the Use Any Item HLA, for the resistances to make up for a lack of hardiness HLAs.

The correct way to do this is Kensai -> Thief. Gets every bonus that the Swash -> Fighter gets and more.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Corvinus posted:

2 APR less, 4 APR less with Imp Haste. Granted, a Swashy can have Scarlet Ninja-to and Belm for 4 baseline APR, but that means no using the highest damage weapons.

If one knows how to use EEKeeper, make a fighter/thief multiclass and then edit in the Swashbuckler kit. Warning: the combination is quite cheesy.
Hmm, what am I missing here? I thought Swashbucklers used the fighter table for APR, it's just they don't get the 1/2 from weapon spec and the 1/2 from GM in EE, so 1 APR before buffs.

amanasleep posted:

The correct way to do this is Kensai -> Thief. Gets every bonus that the Swash -> Fighter gets and more.
Yeah, just really painful getting there in my opinion. I might just hate Kensais though.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Hmm, what am I missing here? I thought Swashbucklers used the fighter table for APR, it's just they don't get the 1/2 from weapon spec and the 1/2 from GM in EE, so 1 APR before buffs.

APR tables in original BG/BG2 were hardcoded so only single/multi/dual classed fighter, rangers, and paladins got the level 7 and 13 APR bonuses. I believe EE externalized the bonuses for weapon proficiencies, but not extra level based APR.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Looks like the guy who was doing the Ascension port for EE posted today he doesn't have the time to finish it any time soon. So much for ToB:EE!

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Factor_VIII posted:

To be fair, there's enough air for 10 minutes, right? The baby will just have to hold its breath.

Honestly, I'd like to know what the gently caress they were thinking in regards to creating an inventory item for this. You would also think a cleric/mage of her caliber at that stage of the game would have access to birth control or something, magic or otherwise.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just cast Agamazarh's Protective Condom

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just cast Agamazarh's Protective Condom

Applied by Bigby's Helpful Hand.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Boogle posted:

Honestly, I'd like to know what the gently caress they were thinking in regards to creating an inventory item for this. You would also think a cleric/mage of her caliber at that stage of the game would have access to birth control or something, magic or otherwise.
Maybe Aerie wanted to have a child in order to use it to bind CHARNAME to her. A possible solution for the PC might have been to kill Aerie and then instruct the priest raising her not to bring the fetus back to life as well.

Maybe people would have paid more attention to the baby if you could use it for something. E.g. having it so that if you drop it on the ground when running away from a monster causes the monster to stop pursuing the PC and to go for the baby instead.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
If someone were to write a romance mod for CHARNAME and the baby...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

..it would get prominently featured on NexusMods?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Maybe a modder could follow the example of Twilight and provide a happy ending for the PC/Aerie/Haer'Dalis love triangle by having Haer'Dalis fall in love with the baby.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
I thought Hexxat was gay? she's hitting on my male PC and at one point referred to him as a woman. Maybe being sex changed at the time due to a wild surge had bugged it out.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

I thought Hexxat was gay? she's hitting on my male PC and at one point referred to him as a woman. Maybe being sex changed at the time due to a wild surge had bugged it out.
Probably. Your sex at the first time you interact with an NPC is what determines whether a romance takes place. Stick a belt of masculinity/femininity on a male PC before entering the Copper Coronet and speaking to Anomen and you can romance him too.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Romance matches are checked when you start a new game, just before you're stripped of your inventory, hence the trick with having the belt of sex change equipped when importing from BG1 letting you have gay/lesbian romances. Maybe the EE changed that?

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you're a half orc, the master race, Aerie won't try to romance you and thus ceases to be annoying.

Heh, so Aerie was telling the truth when she said that she wasn't actually an ogre, eh? I guess I kinda didn't believe her and killed her in the circus. Ah well, my party is full now in any case.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Can someone tell me why screen-scrolling is so awful in IWD2? I thought it was maybe the widescreen mod first, but even trying without it, things are terrible. Using the mouse is outright impossible with windowed, the right side refuses to scroll no matter how much I cajole it, so I can't actually move it to the right with my mouse. Of course, I wouldn't use mouse at all, but instead keyboard like I'm doing in my BG2EE game, except holy poo poo is it stuttery and slow as molasses, no matter what settings I use in the options. Why isn't it like the mouse scroll? Is there any fix to this?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Suspicious posted:

Romance matches are checked when you start a new game, just before you're stripped of your inventory, hence the trick with having the belt of sex change equipped when importing from BG1 letting you have gay/lesbian romances. Maybe the EE changed that?
I don't think so. I had imported a character wearing a belt of masculinity/femininity in the original BG2 which got removed and then the Jaheira romance proceeded normally.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Factor_VIII posted:

I don't think so. I had imported a character wearing a belt of masculinity/femininity in the original BG2 which got removed and then the Jaheira romance proceeded normally.

See also the Big World Project LP. Due to wild surge shenanigans, the player was able to complete the Branwen romance (for men), the Xan romance (for women), and part of the Shar-Teel romance (for men). It does seem to be set when you first meet the NPC.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Cythereal posted:

See also the Big World Project LP. Due to wild surge shenanigans, the player was able to complete the Branwen romance (for men), the Xan romance (for women), and part of the Shar-Teel romance (for men). It does seem to be set when you first meet the NPC.

I just assumed this was one of the mods in action, making every character bisexual seems exactly like what a bad modder would come up with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I just assumed this was one of the mods in action, making every character bisexual seems exactly like what a bad modder would come up with.

There is a mod that does that - it's one component of the Tweak Pack - but only for BG2. In the LP's case, though, it was gender-flipping wild surges monkeying with things.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 13, 2013

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Insurrectionist posted:

Can someone tell me why screen-scrolling is so awful in IWD2? I thought it was maybe the widescreen mod first, but even trying without it, things are terrible. Using the mouse is outright impossible with windowed, the right side refuses to scroll no matter how much I cajole it, so I can't actually move it to the right with my mouse. Of course, I wouldn't use mouse at all, but instead keyboard like I'm doing in my BG2EE game, except holy poo poo is it stuttery and slow as molasses, no matter what settings I use in the options. Why isn't it like the mouse scroll? Is there any fix to this?

Have you tried the direct draw fix?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Factor_VIII posted:

Agreed. Vanilla Fighters can be excellent archers since they can get grandmastery. Admittedly they're not as good as the Archer kit, but on the other hand they have greater flexibility since they can wear any armor and specialize on any weapon. Going with an elf for the 19 Dex and extra +1 to bows is also recommended.

I ended up using fighter/thieves since I want to be able to stealth, so in the end they aren't great archers but they will do.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

MegaGatts posted:

Have you tried the direct draw fix?

Yeah, did that before I fired up the game first time. And the actual gameplay works like a charm with no lag, as does mouse scrolling. But keyboard scrolling is seriously horrendous, not only choppy and slow to start, but frequently slows to a choppy crawl after holding in a direction for a couple of seconds.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Opinion question: I've got Minsc and Anomen and can't decide who should dual wield Flail of Ages/Crom Faeyr, and who should tank with Defender of Easthaven. Obviously there are better options in the game for tanks but that's the party I'm running so deal with it. I'm thinking Minsc dual wield since he already has the pips from being a ranger. Can't remember if Anomen will get access to fighter HLAs as well is all - if not then Minsc is the obvious choice for tank later on and I'd want to start putting Anomen's proficiencies into dual wield.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
It's been years since I played the first Icewind Dale, but this thread has inspired me to hunt down my CDs and reinstall it.

What's a good setup for a small (3-4 people) party? Would fighter, fighter/thief, cleric, mage work? I'm avoiding fighter/cleric because it's hard to cast spells while you're being hit in the face...

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Zephro posted:

It's been years since I played the first Icewind Dale, but this thread has inspired me to hunt down my CDs and reinstall it.

What's a good setup for a small (3-4 people) party? Would fighter, fighter/thief, cleric, mage work? I'm avoiding fighter/cleric because it's hard to cast spells while you're being hit in the face...

I always liked going with oddballs that I never chose.

Bard for example can be perfectly usable, and the lore bonus is a huge QoL thing.

Rangers, Paladins, multi-class a few guys. But with 3-4 you don't have much room so you have to get your basics down - cleric, fighter, thief, mage.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Range rules IWD. All the advantages of BG1, but no stupid weapon protections and immunities to ruin things at higher levels. My easiest playthrough of the game was 1 Paladin tank, and 5 ranged character (2 fighter/thieves with Longbows, 1 Bard with Crossbow, 1 fighter/mage with a Longbow, 1 thief/mage with a Shortbow).

Not that I'd recommend that in a smaller party, because fights are bigger and more cramped than in BG1. Like that big fight with the undead mage in the Tomb of whoever, early game - tons of undead, and little room to maneuver. But I'd definitely recommend a Bow-focused character that's at least part fighter/ranger.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 13, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thaddius the Large posted:

I just assumed this was one of the mods in action, making every character bisexual without changing the script seems exactly like what a bad modder would come up with.

Ftfy. Also that's exactly what the tweak pack does.

Hah, I remember the prima guidebook when this game came out actually had a little tip box! Saying that if you wanted a same-sex relationship in BG you could switch your sex with that cursed girdle. Quite progressive for the early 2000s, really.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Insurrectionist posted:

Range rules IWD. All the advantages of BG1, but no stupid weapon protections and immunities to ruin things at higher levels. My easiest playthrough of the game was 1 Paladin tank, and 5 ranged character (2 fighter/thieves with Longbows, 1 Bard with Crossbow, 1 fighter/mage with a Longbow, 1 thief/mage with a Shortbow).

Not that I'd recommend that in a smaller party, because fights are bigger and more cramped than in BG1. Like that big fight with the undead mage in the Tomb of whoever, early game - tons of undead, and little room to maneuver. But I'd definitely recommend a Bow-focused character that's at least part fighter/ranger.
Hm. Why so many thieves? You can surely get by with just the one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zephro posted:

Hm. Why so many thieves? You can surely get by with just the one?

I've never used it, but IWD includes a weird variation of Backstab rules that includes 3E sneak attack rules, so it might give a damage boost.