Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011
And my dota friends wonder why I refuse to watch pro dota.

Seriously, gently caress Tobi with a rake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The ~"MOBA community"~ is more toxic than that toxic waste repository RoboCop tricked Emil into crashing into.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I watch it with Chinese or Korean commentators. It is infinitely more exciting than pasty white nerds.

Besides, it's wrth it just to watch for the amazing plays

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ancorehraq sis posted:

Could we skip the neckbeard social justice poo poo, please? Plenty other places for it.

Perhaps you would enjoy a website called reddit if you really want to rail against women and minorities in video games.

Otisburg posted:

The ~"MOBA community"~ is more toxic than that toxic waste repository RoboCop tricked Emil into crashing into.

I dunno, the fighting games community really gives it a run for its money.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Less horrible racism in the FGC, because of the large amount of representation.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Less horrible racism in the FGC, because of the large amount of representation.

Its ok, they double-down on the misogyny and homophobia to make up for it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Stux posted:

Perhaps you would enjoy a website called reddit if you really want to rail against women and minorities in video games.

I have a feeling it was less about "i want to poo poo on women" and more "for fucks sake, this is quite literally being covered everywhere else, can we get back on topic"

:shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dogstile posted:

I have a feeling it was less about "i want to poo poo on women" and more "for fucks sake, this is quite literally being covered everywhere else, can we get back on topic"

Man it's almost like bigotry is endemic to our society and gaming in particular and as such will come up at least once in almost any discussion! If you don't like how the griefing thread it going post some griefing.

On that note Esteban is doing a Q&A on past videos in about three hours. (10am PST)

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

dogstile posted:

There really shouldn't be a safe space for bigotry anywhere dude. Sorry if a forums topic is injured by this.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Are you implying this thread would be a "safe space for bigotry" if people weren't actively discussing it? It's a thread about game griefing, no need to go on a several page derail about how some Dota announcers are racist, it's not as if the guy was defending anyone.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Bruc posted:

Are you implying this thread would be a "safe space for bigotry" if people weren't actively discussing it? It's a thread about game griefing, no need to go on a several page derail about how some Dota announcers are racist, it's not as if the guy was defending anyone.

Good god people just talk about funny poo poo about games, debate in D&D.

Today I had a simple grief that recalls my younger days of gaming. Girlfriend is getting into games alot lately, and I just got Dynasty Warriors 8 (because I will never get tired of that franchise) and of course I set her up so that her first battle ever was the Battle of Hu Lao Gate.

And I told her she had to kill Lu Bu to beat the level.

It's been over an hour now and she's screaming at the TV even as I type this.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TheSpiritFox posted:

Today I had a simple grief that recalls my younger days of gaming. Girlfriend is getting into games alot lately, and I just got Dynasty Warriors 8 (because I will never get tired of that franchise) and of course I set her up so that her first battle ever was the Battle of Hu Lao Gate.

You are an abusive boyfriend.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bruc posted:

I get what you're trying to say, buy we do need to make a point of being "anti-bigotry" precisely because this is a thread about game griefing. Think of it as you will, griefing is ultimately purposely loving over someone and/or ruining the game for them. For the most part this is fine and dandy, but it can become toxic if the wrong people are attacked/enabled by us. Sure, the odds of this thread being directly linked to some form of bigotry in an online game is pretty slim, but I'm one of those proactive kind of guys when it comes to video games. :v: Plus, there's nothing preventing anyone who registers from being a terrible person, so I'd like to at least let them know that we don't take kindly to their types.

Bruc posted:

Anyone who is smart enough to not get banned within their first few posts knows that bigotry isn't tolerated here. Not every thread has to be a big ol SJW circlejerk.

I've been conditioned to never rely on anyone being smart enough for anything. Then again, I've only been here a couple months, so what do I really know about the community here.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 14, 2013

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Anyone who is smart enough to not get banned within their first few posts knows that bigotry isn't tolerated here. Not every thread has to be a big ol SJW circlejerk.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bruc posted:

Anyone who is smart enough to not get banned within their first few posts knows that bigotry isn't tolerated here.
Funniest joke in the thread so far.

I missed the start of the Esteban stream so I hope they put up the video of it at some point. Some guy called Torquedom3 who was possibly griefed by Esteban in the past showed up and kept yelling in chat, it was hilarious.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Last month's patch in Dust 514 was an absolute turd, but this month CCP more than made up for it. The patch that dropped a few days ago revamped Faction Warfare (FW) battles, adding "loyalty rewards" players can earn by fighting for one of the game's four NPC factions. Of course, this means the tryhards have been poopsocking all day to get these shiny new trinkets. There are two things that might throw a wrench into their plans, though: 1) FW battles now feature friendly fire, and 2) goons.

In keeping with CCP's hands-off approach to player interaction in Eve Online, this new friendly fire system allows a player to sabotage and team-kill. Also like Eve's equivalent FW areas is that it's not a complete free-for-all. Every time you TK someone, the killed player can "punish" you, and if you get punished enough times you'll lose some of your loyalty standings and get a one-day ban from FW. An automated system will punish you the same way if you cause over 5,000 damage to friendlies, so even if you grief an idiot pubbie who can't figure out the "punish" button, you're still limited in the shenanigans department.

Thankfully, these systems were not thought through very well. One fun way to abuse the punishment button is to simply not let your target get the chance to push it. The brave warriors of Goonfeet have been using a similar tactic for months already in FW, but it required two players to queue-sync into opposite sides of a match, so that one player could kill the target repeatedly and the other could revive them (with the revive item). I don't remember if this strategy has been patched out, but either way it's now very viable to pull it off with two teammates against a third, no queue-syncing needed, because if you kill and revive quickly enough the target doesn't have enough time to mash "punish". One of the easiest targets for this are the lone-wolf el1te sn1perz who sit on the edges of maps and only have a couple hundred HP, so you can tank their kill/death ratio to 0/12 or more before even one of you eats a 5000-damage ban. Also, when you do get your day-ban, just hop on an alt account and get right back to it. The game's free-to-play, after all.

My favorite story so far, though, has to do with player-carried equipment. These are handy tools that most player classes can carry around to help turn the tide of battle in various ways. For example, drop uplinks and nanohives are little things you can plop on the ground that act as field spawn points and ammo caches, respectively. Or there are remote explosives and proximity mines, which are pretty self-explanatory (they explode). The funny bit is that when these explosives destroy friendly things, it counts against the 5000 damage limit for the player who placed the explosive. A top expert in Goonfeet has discovered that this means you can place a few of your own equipment next to one of these explosives, stand on top of it, shoot it, and the combined damage means the teammate who placed it will immediately get the one-day ban. It's a beautiful sight to behold.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The funny bit is that when these explosives destroy friendly things, it counts against the 5000 damage limit for the player who placed the explosive. A top expert in Goonfeet has discovered that this means you can place a few of your own equipment next to one of these explosives, stand on top of it, shoot it, and the combined damage means the teammate who placed it will immediately get the one-day ban. It's a beautiful sight to behold.

:golfclap: That is amazing. I pray to lowtax you get everyone banned that uses explosives.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Please please please tell me there are claymores that are popular with the l0ne snip3r crowd.

Grief all snipers forever

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

I haven't played 8 yet since I'm a PC gamer, but based on the older games I'm pretty sure this is considered a violation of the Geneva Convention.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The best bit is its so low effort and easy. You can also potentially get people kicked by standing in their way or jumping into an OB.

Weve also started queue-syncing onto the opposite side, to spy, provide intelligence, and occasional get people using prox mines and remotes kicked out of our (spy) team. It's only marginally useful, since we can't provide clear coordinates to the other side, but we can feed kills and lose clones for the side we like less.

The best part of the Faction gear, is that its only marginally better; most stuff just has a reduced cost (a minimal isk cost plus some of the Loyalty points you earn in lieu of regular isk during FW games) and also reduced skill requirements (everyone can use standard level gear, only need standard level skills for advanced gear, and advanced skills for proto gear). There's also a second set of proto level gear that has drastically reduced PG/CPU requirements, whereas all the other gear has minimal or nonexistent reductions.

In short, people are poopsock try harding over poo poo they already have access to. There's nothing new or special to be acquired, and there's no item trading or selling, so you can't break the bank with some exploit abuse like we've done with FW before.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SpookyLizard posted:

The best part of the Faction gear, is that its only marginally better; most stuff just has a reduced cost (a minimal isk cost plus some of the Loyalty points you earn in lieu of regular isk during FW games) and also reduced skill requirements (everyone can use standard level gear, only need standard level skills for advanced gear, and advanced skills for proto gear). There's also a second set of proto level gear that has drastically reduced PG/CPU requirements, whereas all the other gear has minimal or nonexistent reductions.

In short, people are poopsock try harding over poo poo they already have access to. There's nothing new or special to be acquired, and there's no item trading or selling, so you can't break the bank with some exploit abuse like we've done with FW before.

Another aspect to this I forgot to mention was that Faction battles no longer pay ISK, the regular money in the Eve/Dust universe, but instead now pay faction-specific "loyalty points" (or LP). This is significant because of the cost of gear in Dust versus what you get paid per match in terms of ISK/LP. Regular pub matches pay enough ISK for even a bad player to keep their ISK balance "in the black" as long as they don't use super-expensive gear. And while I don't know if this is true, the Faction gear seemed really cost-ineffective at first glance, as you aren't getting enough LP per match right away to easily cover the gear you lose.

But wait, there is a way to get more LP per match! It's by improving your "standing" with each faction by playing for them a lot, and not playing for their "enemy" faction very much. You can go from level 1 to level 10 in standing, but this takes winning around 200 matches for that faction. So that's what the poopsockers are doing now, playing tons of matches for all faction sides evenly (since you gain more for your chosen faction than you lose to the opposite one, you can eventually reach top standing with all of them).

However, there's also a little wrinkle in the loyalty mechanic. Remember the one-day ban and faction punishment I mentioned earlier? The faction punishment is a hit to the player's standing with the faction they are fighting for at the time of their ban. So not only are TK-banned locked out from grinding LP and standing, but after their ban expires they might be getting significantly lower LP rewards, depending on what loyalty level they had when you suicide-bombed yourself with their explosives.

edit:

Some of you might enjoy the numbers involved. For each faction win, you gain 75 points in standing. But if you get kicked for TK-ing, you lose 450 points, or the equivalent of six wins. Faction battles generally take over 20 minutes to play, so even if a player won every match they played, your single suicide on their friendly explosives will erase at least two hours of their loyalty grind. When you look at things more realistically, with a player not winning every match, some matches going longer, waiting around for teammates, fiddling with loadouts, etc., it's easy for the kamikaze player to erase days worth of grinding in aggregate. And the rogue player doesn't lose anything, since the grief-ees are the ones eating the bans.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 15, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Easily my favorite game I have never played, and never will.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

TheSpiritFox posted:

I never got into the DW series, can you explain this? I presume that the fight requires some obscure victory method a player wouldn't normally try, but you've told her that she has to do something much harder.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I never got into the DW series, can you explain this? I presume that the fight requires some obscure victory method a player wouldn't normally try, but you've told her that she has to do something much harder.

Lu Bu is an absolute monster that will destroy you right quick. A running gag in the series is other officers instructing you, "Do not pursue Lu Bu!"

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Plus they won't get any LP from the game you killed them in, they'll still have lost any fittings they spent in that game, so if you kick them right at the the end, they could have lost five to ten or even more lives worth of gear and gotten nothing to show for it.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
Girls and video games? Absurd, goons. Simply absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sbrr4Ph33I

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

What could make it better is if she was playing as one of the Shu officers, there would be a cutscene introducing Lu Bu and everyone taking a stand against him making you think you'd fight him and take him down.

Then he 2-shot kills you even on the lowest difficulty and all your progress is erased unless you were Interim Saving :eng101:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The standard objective in every DW mission is to kill the leader of the opposing force, who would be Dong Zhuo in this case. Lu Bu is presented as boss like every other notable office in the game but first-time players learn in this mission that Lu Bu means "Oh, gently caress he's coming my way!"

You just outrun him and kill his fat overlord to win the mission.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SealHammer posted:

Girls and video games? Absurd, goons. Simply absurd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sbrr4Ph33I

That reminds me of a simple thing a friend did to me to grief me in that game.

He went and hid, said "Tiler Kiwi is the trai-!" and then cut off his mike so it seemed like he died mid sentence.

Cue everyone hunting me down and murdering me. By the time he showed up again, people had forgotten the whole "you're supposed to be dead" detail.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
LoL players practically grief themselves, but I've been watching this series called 'League of Children' and it really surprises me how violating the sacred metagame and playing a champion out of position sets people off like crazy, especially since this guy isn't playing badly at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bylPTYle4W4

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

The way those teammates are frantically coming up with any excuse they can to report the guy for no reason is hilarious. There's a reason I don't play MOBAs.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Emery posted:

LoL players practically grief themselves, but I've been watching this series called 'League of Children' and it really surprises me how violating the sacred metagame and playing a champion out of position sets people off like crazy, especially since this guy isn't playing badly at all.

I like how they're constantly demanding Ashe to speak English while they're dropping insults in Tagalog.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

That reminds me of a simple thing a friend did to me to grief me in that game.

He went and hid, said "Tiler Kiwi is the trai-!" and then cut off his mike so it seemed like he died mid sentence.

Cue everyone hunting me down and murdering me. By the time he showed up again, people had forgotten the whole "you're supposed to be dead" detail.

I'm fairly sure I posted about that in this thread :allears:

EDIT: From way back in 2010

Novasol posted:

Time for a TTT story of my own.

Sometimes it's about mindgames

I was running around and saw a guy called Tiler Kiwi off by himself. So, for reasons I don't quite remember, I yell "OH MY GOD IT's TIL-" over the microphone, and then hide. Other people start panicking, and Tiler gets defensive, saying I probably just killed myself in console. So, I killed myself in console. Tiler finds me, which just makes him look worse to another player called mmik. Tiler tells mmik to check the body to confirm it was a suicide, and mmik shoots him instead. Tiler was the only traitor.

The very next round, Tiler says "God damnit, I bet Nova is going to do it again just to be an rear end in a top hat." So, just to be an rear end in a top hat, I did it again - I hid, yelled out "TILER'S SHOOTING ME" and then console killed myself. mmik kills Tiler, who was a traitor.

Some time passes, and the map changes to Port. I toss a discombobulator (knocks things around), and jump in the water as it explodes, screaming "TILER DISCOMBOBBED ME" as I fell. Tiler gets shot and killed by mmik. Traitor again.

Fourth time kinda backfired, as mmik and Tiler were both traitors. Since I wasn't able to harness mmik's borderline retardation to off Tiler, they had a successful round.

Welp, I can't be right five times in a row, can I? I decide to do it again, hiding and killing myself in a dark place, screaming about Tiler having a knife. Tiler, who is armed only with a crowbar and is in the middle of a crowd of innocents, gets shot and killed by mmik. Tiler is innocent, and utterly furious by this point, and I tell him I'm going stop.

Some time passes, and the map changes to Bank, which is a bank with an elevator that leads down into a basement, which has a vault. And... mmik and I are both traitors. So I knife someone trying to open the vault, making sure he had time to shoot at me first as I called out "IT'S TIL-" and cutting my mic. Tiler knows exactly where I am, because I let him see me go towards the vault. He's completely dumbfounded with rage when mmik confronts him. Tiler starts screaming about how retarded mmik is, but is too awestruck with rage to even try to defend himself as mmik blows his brains out. When the round ends and he sees the round report where both of us were traitors who conducted a flawless victory, he was completely speechless.

Personally, I like to think of it as working a really, really long con.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It was mean, dude. :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Emery posted:

Haha, a long time ago (before LoL had the most stupidly rigid meta ever), Ashe was considered a REALLY good mid. Her volley attack is free harass while you last hit, her bird is free scouting on their jungler, and her ult is a loving huge threat when she's mid.

Like unless the game has changed hugely since I quit playing (I don't think it has) there's no reason Ashe can't work as a mid hero.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Tiler Kiwi circa 2010 posted:

hate doesnt even begain to encapsualte my range of emotions here

Orv
May 4, 2011

Magres posted:

Haha, a long time ago (before LoL had the most stupidly rigid meta ever), Ashe was considered a REALLY good mid. Her volley attack is free harass while you last hit, her bird is free scouting on their jungler, and her ult is a loving huge threat when she's mid.

Like unless the game has changed hugely since I quit playing (I don't think it has) there's no reason Ashe can't work as a mid hero.

She's still a perfectly good mid hero, but if you don't follow the schoolyard lane picking rules that all of League now abides by you best get the gently caress out. :allears:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Novasol posted:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Wait Tiler's regdate is from 2011. Did you reg here after getting trolled into oblivion under the same name or was this just some insane coincidence?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Orv posted:

She's still a perfectly good mid hero, but if you don't follow the schoolyard lane picking rules that all of League now abides by you best get the gently caress out. :allears:

Hahahaha, my buddies and I used to run 5man blind pick and people would get SO UNBELIEVABLY pissed when we ran gimmicks. Like running AP + Aggressive Support bottom means you can stomp the ever loving gently caress out of their AD Carry and shut them down completely and more often than not it just made teams completely implode. We'd hit like ten minutes in with Sona + LeBlanc bottom and have their carry at like 1-7 and their whole team just flipping out at each other. It's great, you don't even have to push LoL pub teams hard to make them collapse, just a little nudge will do it.

The other amazing one, way back when, was 5 tanks with 5x promote/fortify and the talents for both. You all piled into mid, mass promoted, then piled bottom. Also we always ran Alistair with Locket so the whole team had infinite HP and Mana because if you had Locket and level 1 roar, you gained mana from every roar. It was the silliest poo poo, we'd all stack sunfire capes and no one could ever kill us before they just burned to death, and meanwhile our giant loving ball of promoted creeps was knocking down their rax in another lane. And even if we hosed up hard enough to wipe? There's nothing like 30 seconds of invincible, splashing, double attack speed towers to stop a push forever.

Novasol posted:

The last round is what takes the cake, for certain. It's so perfect that you covered your traitor-dom by pretending to continue to troll

Tulip posted:

Wait Tiler's regdate is from 2011. Did you reg here after getting trolled into oblivion under the same name or was this just some insane coincidence?

I'm also a :regd11: and I've been using the name Magres since like 2007, so I can believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I got trolled so hard I became a goon. Thanks, goons. You ruined my life.

The ultimate grief.

e: I did learn an important lesson from that game, though. If someone accuses you of being a traitor and you know you're going to die, you might as well kill them on the off chance they're only pretending to be stupid. And to punish them if they are that stupid. If you actually are the traitor, then, nobody will blink with you blasting random folk's faces off for little provocation.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 15, 2013

• Locked thread