Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:buddy: Weapon Stats Modding!

BaseDPS: The weapon's average DPS at level 1 [min, max] Scaled up with threat level.
rateOfFire: The weapon's rate of fire range, in shots per second [min, max]
hands: # hands the gun uses. [min, max] You can actually set 1,2 and get random 1 hand and 2 hand weapons, but the display sprites turn out buggy as hell.
recoilTime: Amount of time the gun "recoils" back the user's arm.
spread: # of pellets shot. Has a dramatic effect on energy consumption.
multiplier: Energy use multiplier. Also divides damage!!
accuracy: This doesn't actually seem to do anything...

The reason why automatic weapons shotguns suck so much is that they have a ridiculously high multiplier, and for shotguns, they may also consume 5 to 15 times as much energy as necessary. This is also the same reason why sniper rifles are the only guns worth using.

Contents of a sample "assets\items\guns\randomgenerated\commonassaultrifle.generatedgun":

code:
{
  "name" : "commonassaultrifle",
  "maxStack" : 1,
  "rarity" : "common",
  "inspectionKind" : "gun",
  "handPosition" : [5, 2],
  "firePosition" : [-2, 10],
  "weaponType" : "Assault Rifle",
  "baseDps" : [3.5, 3.8],
  "rateOfFire" : [3, 12],
  "hands" : [2, 2],
  "recoilTime" : 0.1,
  "spread" : [1, 1],
  "multiplier" : 0.4,
  "accuracy" : 100,
  "muzzleFlashes" : [
    "/animations/muzzleflash/bulletmuzzle3/bulletmuzzle3.animation"
  ],
  "projectileTypes" : [ "bullet-1", "bullet-2", "bullet-3", "bullet-4" ],
  "directories" : [ "/items/guns/randomgenerated/assaultrifle/" ],
  "fireSound" : [ "/sfx/gun/ar1.wav" ],
  "palette" : [
    { "e35f5d" : "aa1d1b", "b22042" : "8b1311", "871132" : "5d0100", "808080" : "808080", "606060" : "606060", "404040" : "404040" },
    { "e35f5d" : "64967f", "b22042" : "446556", "871132" : "1e2c26", "808080" : "787784", "606060" : "4f545a", "404040" : "33343c" },
    { "e35f5d" : "ff9d1e", "b22042" : "bb6a0b", "871132" : "6b3501", "808080" : "787784", "606060" : "4f545a", "404040" : "33343c" },
    { "e35f5d" : "cb13ff", "b22042" : "9b1dcf", "871132" : "580682", "808080" : "787784", "606060" : "4f545a", "404040" : "33343c" }
  ],
  "nameGenerator" : "assaultnames.config:nameGen"
}

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Truly the master race

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 14, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dammit, it turns out that stuff disappears if you let it on the ground for too long. Stuff like your upgraded anvil if you're trying to tweak your ship's interior.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I would expect they'll get around to putting seedlings in at some point, if someone doesn't mod it in first.

What's a good repository for ABC files? I guess since they don't all work properly in the game someone might end up setting up a site with ones that do work.

http://www.lotro-abc.com/ apparently has a huge selection. Their quality seems good.

Also how long until someone mods Glitch to be HK-47 series. I want glitch to call humans Meatbags :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

nullEntityRNG posted:

http://www.lotro-abc.com/ apparently has a huge selection. Their quality seems good.
It doesn't have Careless Whisper. What a worthless resource :colbert:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

nullEntityRNG posted:

Also how long until someone mods Glitch to be HK-47 series. I want glitch to call humans Meatbags :allears:
Excellent.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

The White Dragon posted:

http://reissendewoelfe.de/abc/ SHAZAM

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Temple of the Frog.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Laphroaig posted:

Temple of the Frog.

Totally rules

The Worst Lurker
Dec 12, 2012
Has anyone found a plasma weapon yet? I've been looking all over sector X, but with no luck.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

The Fat Lute is the only site with Yakety Sax, so it's the only one worth anything.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

The Worst Lurker posted:

Has anyone found a plasma weapon yet? I've been looking all over sector X, but with no luck.

Apparently the plasma weapons were incorrectly coded, so if you find one, it turns to a generic cube.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

demoneyespaul posted:

and the most adorable monster:

I beg to differ! :colbert:

:3:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I beg to differ too!

I think it's a tiny Lorax

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Fat Lute is the only site with Yakety Sax, so it's the only one worth anything.

Haven't found one with Painkiller yet, but I guess that might be asking a bit much.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

More bugs!

"Multiplier", in addition to increasing energy cost, also vastly decreases damage the higher it is. I'd like to punch in the face shake the hand of whoever coded this. :allears:

I can't even release my mod until it gets fixed. Wow.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 14, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today I found out you can dual wield hunting knives. This is PROBABLY the best game ever.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Found a item dupe trick, works even faster than the previous 3D printer boogaloo.

You need to have at least two people for this to work. The host invites the guest into the host's ship. Host then leaves, guest remains in a desynced version of the host's ship. Guest can then take as much stuff as they'd like. When the host logs back in, they're in their still pristine ship. You can use this to dupe drat near anything. Including voxel blocks, or, hell, put a thousand units of duped diamond ore in the refinery and you can dupe pixels straight up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Worst Lurker posted:

They don't spawn right now due to a naming error. What could have been a plasma gun is instead a green cube.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ulvirich posted:

Found a item dupe trick, works even faster than the previous 3D printer boogaloo.

You need to have at least two people for this to work. The host invites the guest into the host's ship. Host then leaves, guest remains in a desynced version of the host's ship. Guest can then take as much stuff as they'd like. When the host logs back in, they're in their still pristine ship. You can use this to dupe drat near anything. Including voxel blocks, or, hell, put a thousand units of duped diamond ore in the refinery and you can dupe pixels straight up.

You don't actually need two people, just two characters. As is, you can launch multiple instances from the game using the launcher. All you have to do is start a server, load it up with the guy you want to dupe stuff to, and then open up a second instance of the game and join again with a different character. As long as the second character remains in the host character's ship, they can take whatever and it most likely will still work.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They don't spawn right now due to a naming error. What could have been a plasma gun is instead a green cube.

Dang, I've got two of those cubes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm blind. Where do I make the Titanium Pickaxe? Have Diamond, don't see it on anvil OR crafting table.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm blind. Where do I make the Titanium Pickaxe? Have Diamond, don't see it on anvil OR crafting table.

No such thing.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Emy posted:

First question: no, without mods all the beds have the same regen.

Second question: right click with planks.

I LIED. Different beds have different regen. Top-tier stuff like the Sacrificial Altar or Apex Torture Bed is the best.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Emy posted:

I LIED. Different beds have different regen. Top-tier stuff like the Sacrificial Altar or Apex Torture Bed is the best.

The best part is, you seem to sleep on the Sacrificial altar, but you stay awake on the Apex Torture bed. :stare:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kdrudy posted:

Dang, I've got two of those cubes

I was up to seventeen before the patch that fixed the Grappling Hook's recipe came out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DelphiAegis posted:

The best part is, you seem to sleep on the Sacrificial altar, but you stay awake on the Apex Torture bed. :stare:

It was really nice of them to add a pillow on the torture bed, wasn't it?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
An interesting idea... The Matter Manipulator can highlight blocks even if you can't see them. You could theoretically mod a copy of the item that does no damage but have insane range and area to basically dowse for minerals.

I wonder if people would like that...

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

nullEntityRNG posted:

An interesting idea... The Matter Manipulator can highlight blocks even if you can't see them. You could theoretically mod a copy of the item that does no damage but have insane range and area to basically dowse for minerals.

I wonder if people would like that...

It's pretty useful for that now even with the limited range. I felt pretty drat clever when I figured out I could do that.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My gigamanipulator has an enormous alt-range for just that purpose. Light up the screen, and use the 10x10 'precision' cutter to get the minerals.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

My floran sleeps on it just fine, which is fitting for the race :v:

Really wish they'd boost the regen speed of the beds by a large amount. Takes sooooo long to get health back

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Fishstick posted:

Am I the only one
Yeah you are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kxjIsUmCgg
I love my chucklefish

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So none of my merchants sell anything. I haven't encountered any quartermasters or anything, but i found one dude at the bottom of a super deep underground frog temple that sold digging implements and bombs.

Everyone else doesn't sell anything. Literally.

Whats the deal?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

So none of my merchants sell anything. I haven't encountered any quartermasters or anything, but i found one dude at the bottom of a super deep underground frog temple that sold digging implements and bombs.

Whats the deal?

Some of the merchants have bugged inventories. Most of the time you can find people in settlements selling cooking supplies and melee weapons, but in Avian settlements especially you seem to find some whose inventory is empty. One thing you can do though is wait for them to get back to their stall. That has fixed it a couple times for me when they had wandered off to commit suicide kill a monster.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It's a bug, other people are getting it too

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Whats the deal?

Seems like a bug, lots of people having this problem.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Reason posted:

Seems like a bug, lots of people having this problem.

So do I restart the character or continue to mow down apex towns like it ape a thing?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Just mow em down, there's nothing sold you can't get elsewhere. The airship merchants still work fine, so you can snag guns from them and annihilate everything no prob

Musluk
May 23, 2011

I've been busy making (lovely) sprites yesterday, and today seems like I'll be doing the same too. Not a fan of every race having the same body silhouette; though I understand the reasoning behind this.

Anyway, I found a guide for ship editing:

quote:

Each pixel in dropshipblocks.png is an 8x8 pixel sized square on your shipship.png.
dropship.structure determines what each color in dropshipblocks does (like red being a solid space of nothing).

For editing, you need an image program capable of using Layers and transparency like Photoshop (a free alternative like Paint.NET works just as well)...

1. Increase dropshipblocks to 800% its original size (remember to use "nearest neighbor" resampling to make it not blurry)
2. Overlay your shipship on the layer above, aligning it to the dropshipblocks image.
3. Do whatever you want to your shipship layer.
4. Adjust dropshipblocks to suit your new layout, maybe even add some new items by adding them in dropship.structure.*

*Instead of messing with offsets in .structure and checking to see if the two are properly lined up in game, have shipship be the "same" resolution as dropshipblocks at 800%, laid out in the exact position in which it would line up (such as this very image).

5. Hide the dropshipblocks layer and save your image as shipship.png
6. Hide the shipship stuff and shrink the image back down to its original dropshipblocks size (12.5% nearest neighbor) and save that as dropshipblocks.png

Existing characters have to clear out their ship and delete their SHIPWORLD file in order to get a new ship properly working.
Other players online see your custom ship because they download your SHIPWORLD file which contains the image and space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking how balanced guns are now compared to melee weapons. Gun toting NPCs are just as dangerous as melee ones, gun damage is almost never as high as melee damage and using a gun against a monster close by is a pretty bad idea, so you can't just use them all the time like in terraria. Now I'd just wish they would make ranged npcs always drop guns.

For more balance, I'd say up the energy usage of sniper rifles to around 20 per shot, give a slight knockback to machine guns and tune way up the shotgun damage (I'm ok with 30-50% energy per shot as long as the damage is worth it). The pistol/shield combination is pretty drat powerful already. Now I want a riot shield.

EDIT: Oh god, they reduced the brain gun energy usage. That was hell.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 14, 2013

• Locked thread