Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
huh, my shield hasn't been blocking bullets. Is there a "fired from kneeling stance" factor to it because if so :aaaaa:

well this is a stupid snipe so gotta say I've been enjoying the gamma sector the most so far, lots of different metals to play with that are relevant and some beautiful planets randomized up for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stew Man Chew posted:

huh, my shield hasn't been blocking bullets. Is there a "fired from kneeling stance" factor to it because if so :aaaaa:
Probably not, it's most likely just hitbox weirdness. I feel this game's combat is severely hampered by its finicky hitboxes. Half the time I hit dead-on, the projectile passes through them even in local offline games. Sometimes the box is low, sometimes it's high, sometimes it's just... inappropriately small. Combat is really, really annoying at the moment due to stingy hitboxes. Being generous in the player's favor won't kill you, Chucklefish.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

nerdz posted:

I'm really liking how balanced guns are now compared to melee weapons. Gun toting NPCs are just as dangerous as melee ones, gun damage is almost never as high as melee damage and using a gun against a monster close by is a pretty bad idea, so you can't just use them all the time like in terraria. Now I'd just wish they would make ranged npcs always drop guns.

I'm also glad ammo isn't a thing in this game. That gets old real fast in a game like this.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Stew Man Chew posted:

well this is a stupid snipe so gotta say I've been enjoying the gamma sector the most so far, lots of different metals to play with that are relevant and some beautiful planets randomized up for me.

Maybe your shield is not good enough? Shields have stats, they're just hidden for now. If you got it at lower tiers, it stops resisting any amount of damage.

Rocketlex posted:

I'm also glad ammo isn't a thing in this game. That gets old real fast in a game like this.

In terraria you could easily and cheaply buy/craft 10k bullets with pocket change. Might as well scrap it as a game mechanic. You could use different ores to craft bullets with different effects like homing shots, though. I think they started doing something like this in Starbound considering guns have different bullet types that aren't really that different right now.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 14, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I look forward to when they have shield sshow their stats. When you find 4 shields you should not need to do some suicidal trial and error to learn which might be better/suck less than the others. :sigh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I look forward to when they have shield sshow their stats. When you find 4 shields you should not need to do some suicidal trial and error to learn which might be better/suck less than the others. :sigh:

If you're using shields then you aren't using 2H weapons and if you aren't using 2H weapons you're a busta. Get on the :black101: train, son.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

The White Dragon posted:

Probably not, it's most likely just hitbox weirdness. I feel this game's combat is severely hampered by its finicky hitboxes. Half the time I hit dead-on, the projectile passes through them even in local offline games. Sometimes the box is low, sometimes it's high, sometimes it's just... inappropriately small. Combat is really, really annoying at the moment due to stingy hitboxes. Being generous in the player's favor won't kill you, Chucklefish.

I'm using a grenade launcher that explodes in an AoE on hit and fairly often, I can hit something dead on with a grenade, see it explode on them, and do no damage. Seriously 10% of the time or so, my first grenade to their face just doesn't do poo poo. It's really weird :psyduck:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh my God the Tier 10 bird armor/sword combo is the best thing

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For as much as they've tried to make guns a viable but not overpowered alternative to melee -- a combat option rather than a too-weak or too-strong gimmick -- it sure is dumb to have them so rare.
Basically all the gun-related advice I've seen so far has been "find an avian airship, here's some coordinates...". That's also the advice I've seen for most bosses. Avian airship. Avian airship.

Even if they're dead-set on not making simple guns craftable, they should at least make them easier to find, start putting them in common loot chests like they do with existing weapons, even as early as Tier 1. I don't care if it's weak, so are most of the melee weapons. But if you've put so much work into them already, at least give us the option.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

If you're using shields then you aren't using 2H weapons and if you aren't using 2H weapons you're a busta. Get on the :black101: train, son.

You're both wrong. Dual wielding fire and electric short swords IS the way to go.

Vib Rib posted:

For as much as they've tried to make guns a viable but not overpowered alternative to melee -- a combat option rather than a too-weak or too-strong gimmick -- it sure is dumb to have them so rare.
Basically all the gun-related advice I've seen so far has been "find an avian airship, here's some coordinates...". That's also the advice I've seen for most bosses. Avian airship. Avian airship.

Even if they're dead-set on not making simple guns craftable, they should at least make them easier to find, start putting them in common loot chests like they do with existing weapons, even as early as Tier 1. I don't care if it's weak, so are most of the melee weapons. But if you've put so much work into them already, at least give us the option.

I'd say this is mostly due to unfinished drop balance. They will probably address this in a later patch.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 14, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nerdz posted:

I'd say this is mostly due to unfinished drop balance. They will probably address this in a later patch.
Well that's what I mean. I'm just saying that I hope it changes. There'd be nothing wrong with having guns as loot in T1 if they were balanced properly. Especially since you can already get them. They just need to work on distribution.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Was durasteel bugged/disabled or do I need to find it in chests somewhere? Or possibly craft on some different bench?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Should be craftable via the metalworking station. Its basically made just like Steel, but uses Titanium instead of Iron.

drat, how did I miss that. I thought I searched for durasteel but didn't see it.

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 14, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Should be craftable via the metalworking station. Its basically made just like Steel, but uses Titanium instead of Iron.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

dis astranagant posted:

No such thing.
At least I'm not blind. How do I upgrade from Diamond Pickaxe, then? Just kill the Dragon and move on and make Durasteel afterwards?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

DACK FAYDEN posted:

At least I'm not blind. How do I upgrade from Diamond Pickaxe, then? Just kill the Dragon and move on and make Durasteel afterwards?

You can craft drills after the dragon, though they seem quite bad.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Drills are a straight up upgrade to picks atm.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Party Alarm posted:

Drills are a straight up upgrade to picks atm.
I'm not really seeing a difference in their strength, though. Maybe something marginal. Are they faster or do they do 1 extra "damage?" It felt like the Gold Drill took the same number of mine cycles as the Platinum Pickaxe, but that could just be me miscounting when it hits. They could certainly use to be a more obvious upgrade.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh I have a 34 damage hammer and a nice 2h sword as well but going through a Beta system USCM base with a shield and sword, blocking everything and killing stuff as it charges you is handy too when you have a useful shield. Otherwise all those gunners can eventually become a a problem.

Found an avian ship selling guns. Their damage kind of sucks though and I'm not sure how viable they are at all. It probably doesn't help that shop items tend to be pretty god awful while enemy drops can be a decent bit better than crafted and far better than shop items.

Is there any way to tell if a planet in the sector is easy/medium/hard, assuming that has any effect of the quality of items sold/dropped there?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

MShadowy posted:

I'm a little held up on this modding thing because I'm just starting to realize that holy crap that is a lot of one liners to write about everything. Probably best not to think about that for now and just work on the graphical side of things.

Have you decided what creature your race is going to be yet? I was out and thinking about this ship (;-*) And thought it would fit a rhino race. Just an Idea! I'll definitely be picking up the ship when the wipes stop. That thing is beautiful.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there any way to tell if a planet in the sector is easy/medium/hard, assuming that has any effect of the quality of items sold/dropped there?

Yeah, let something hit you and see how bad it hurts :v:

Shields eventually become REALLY good. Mine reduces TL10 monster damage to single digits instead of 50-60. I might've just gotten really really lucky with a badass shield though

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not really seeing a difference in their strength, though. Maybe something marginal. Are they faster or do they do 1 extra "damage?" It felt like the Gold Drill took the same number of mine cycles as the Platinum Pickaxe, but that could just be me miscounting when it hits. They could certainly use to be a more obvious upgrade.

I don't know what/where you're mining but a diamond drill is mindblowingly fast compared to a diamond pickaxe. The whole game rockets off at that point and frankly it feels kind of poorly fleshed out/put together from then on.

Speaking of, the Hylotl armors are awful up until the Sea and Ocean (Ferozium and Cerelium) armors, but the Euphotic (Violium) armor is unbelievably ugly.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

nerdz posted:

You're both wrong. Dual wielding fire and electric short swords IS the way to go.

I'm wielding a Two Handed weapon that has poison on right click and fire on left click. I thought this was a bug but I have multiple weapons that do this. So really my weapon beats both.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah I didn't see any difference until I spent 6000 pixels crafting the platinum one, seems a bit faster than the diamond pickaxe. 6400 pixels for the diamond one, not including the 20 diamonds...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Yeah I didn't see any difference until I spent 6000 pixels crafting the platinum one, seems a bit faster than the diamond pickaxe. 6400 pixels for the diamond one, not including the 20 diamonds...

Diamonds and really plentiful at that point, though? And pixels are really easy to get thanks to the ore refinery.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Found an avian ship selling guns. Their damage kind of sucks though and I'm not sure how viable they are at all. It probably doesn't help that shop items tend to be pretty god awful while enemy drops can be a decent bit better than crafted and far better than shop items.
The only worthwhile guns I've seen so far have been sniper rifles (disclaimer: I haven't seen any grenade or rocket launchers yet). Everything else either has far too low damage to be worth it, drains too much energy, or both.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Genocyber posted:

Diamonds and really plentiful at that point, though? And pixels are really easy to get thanks to the ore refinery.

I've been to a few planets by now and haven't seen any, though I don't bother digging down for them. Perhaps I should. It's still a lot of diamond ore and I spent all the other ores for the previous tiers / getting this far fast without diggery.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jusupov posted:

I've been to a few planets by now and haven't seen any, though I don't bother digging down for them. Perhaps I should. It's still 80 diamond ore and I spent all the other ores for the previous tiers / getting this far fast without diggery.

Yeah ore, especially the rarer types, is considerably more common in the deep underground.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Insert name here posted:

The only worthwhile guns I've seen so far have been sniper rifles (disclaimer: I haven't seen any grenade or rocket launchers yet). Everything else either has far too low damage to be worth it, drains too much energy, or both.

I have a 1handed grenade launcher that explodes into a massive spray of shrapnel that I've used pretty much forever. It oneshots TL10 stuff if you hit them dead on, plus you can use a shield with it :black101:

Uses a chunk of energy like nobody's business though, so it's not too viable until you have decently high level armor. Only weapon I've found so far that can oneshot TL10s though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just started this game and I've been circumnavigating planets for the most part and exploring any caves open to the surface and coming back up once I stop seeing open tunnel to run through.

Should I just suck it up and start digging down from the spawn point/any given cave to try and find rarer ores or just planet hop until I find something good on the surface? (Discovering new worlds for stuff seems marginally more interesting to me than just getting the co-ordinates and running from there)

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
The hell do I do in this game? I've dug down really far, like 10 minutes of pure digging, and I haven't seen anything but coal. What am I supposed to be looking for? I felt like Terraria I always ran into ores to make new stuff, but this game I'm a little lost.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Xelkelvos posted:

Just started this game and I've been circumnavigating planets for the most part and exploring any caves open to the surface and coming back up once I stop seeing open tunnel to run through.

Should I just suck it up and start digging down from the spawn point/any given cave to try and find rarer ores or just planet hop until I find something good on the surface? (Discovering new worlds for stuff seems marginally more interesting to me than just getting the co-ordinates and running from there)
Arid or desert planets are great for early ore-diving, just find an area with a lot of fine sand and start running around collecting ore as it becomes loosened by the avalanche, then dig yourself out. Note that if you're still close enough to the surface you can knock out the back wall behind you to drain water (if it's relevant) and also, perhaps more crucial to digging, you can free yourself up to warp back to your ship. If you really want to get back to the surface without climbing back up, you can also save+quit and you'll be back to your ship.

Edit: Also don't dig straight down from your beam-down point, unless you want to learn a really terrible, funny lesson about planning.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rent posted:

The hell do I do in this game? I've dug down really far, like 10 minutes of pure digging, and I haven't seen anything but coal. What am I supposed to be looking for? I felt like Terraria I always ran into ores to make new stuff, but this game I'm a little lost.

You may consider yourself lucky after a while, as coal is your ship fuel (and how you make torches, campfires, furnace for smelting ore, Steel bars) and a lot of us have had the opposite issue where even after finding a big supply of the rest, we don't even have enough coal for two star jumps.

But yeah, RNG can be weird. Hopping to a different planet at your star is a tiny bit of fuel, hopping to another star is like 200 fuel or something and its 1 coal per 2 fuel. If your planet is truely barren except for coal, try your luck elsewhere. Or be a stubborn bastard like me and don't go anywhere until you've wrung everything you need out of your spawn world. I've beaten the robot and I still haven't left mine or explored horizontally much :downs:

EDIT: Am I dumb as a post or is there no documented in game way to remove a SINGLE item from a large stack?

My main comparison of "Starbound Vs Terraria" has oddly been how much safer I feel digging downwards than exploring the surface. But that is mostly from the comparative lack of birds with projectile attacks underground.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 14, 2013

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

In tier 2, after I kill the robot what do I do with the processor so that I can advance to the next tier?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You use it to craft the robotic crafting table, which has the next starmap upgrade recepie.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Rent posted:

Take all that ore and planet hop for a while. There ARE more better ores as you go down, but you can find all of them at the surface, too, and there's a lot of cool poo poo on the surfaces of planets as opposed to deep underground.

The game's pretty much strictly worse than Terraria right now if you play it the same way you play Terraria.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Agh I trapped one of those rare monsters on a threat 10 planet and killed it. Took 25 99 damage hits per health block and in the end I got a really nice shield :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Screw you, monkeys!

I don't feel bad. The "prize" at the end was a tech I already had.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No Rocketlex, thats just thinking outside the box. I do the same thing, gently caress that obstacle course poo poo.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

You can mine the electric stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

omeg posted:

You can mine the electric stuff!

Don't worry, I found that out on the trip back.

• Locked thread