Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Though the Vargr Tramp Freighter is pretty well shaped to be a Starbound ship. Too bad I'm terrible at pixel art (or art in general).

Oh why did I stick this idea in my own head. Now I'm mocking it up, using a loose adaptation of the actual deckplans even. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reiley posted:

Florans are the most :3: race
No way, when you roll through as Hylotl all they do is talk poo poo. They're easily the most fun race to murder.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Babe Magnet posted:

Bug People/Rome and a little Greece

That is kind of awesome. I can see their buildings now. Lots of marble, granite, etc in the form of old roman architecture. Pillars everywhere! Possibly with an organic look like they chewed up rock then regurgitated it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks!

Their architecture and furniture is definitely "decadent", with marble slabs and lots of intricate carvings and statuary. I've been trying to come up with a racial ability while I sketch out some other ideas, but updates and have some of my ideas obsolete. I was going to give them a higher jump, but Apex take care of that with their racial. "Bioluminescence" was another idea, but wearable lights saw to that.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Haven't been in this thread since the game launched. Sup.

Anyway, I'm working on a race mod. I have only the vaguest idea on how to do the modding part, but I've got some concepts done at least!

I like how they all look kinda grumpy. :allears: Eager to see where the little grumps go!

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Have they implemented ocean planets and submersibles yet?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CountingWizard posted:

No.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Where do you get mechs? Is that a tech blueprint you need to find?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hey, Vib Rib. How on earth did you make the crafting window for the Biofuel Refinery work? I'm trying to use your mod as a reference for mine, but every time I hit e on my new crafting thing, it crashes Starbound. :(

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

Thanks!

Their architecture and furniture is definitely "decadent", with marble slabs and lots of intricate carvings and statuary. I've been trying to come up with a racial ability while I sketch out some other ideas, but updates and have some of my ideas obsolete. I was going to give them a higher jump, but Apex take care of that with their racial. "Bioluminescence" was another idea, but wearable lights saw to that.

Spin their own silk with which to make bandages/other things, maybe? It'd be tricky, but I bet you could do it. Definitely could make an acid spit attack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh man, I'm excited as hell for this next patch:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/

quote:

To make mod installation easier support has been added for .modinfo files.
This functionality should arrive in the next patch.

For example:

code:
{
  "name" : "sparkz",
  "version" : "Beta v. Indignant Koala",
  "path" : ".",
  "dependencies" : [ "tabularasa" ]
}
would be in a file called sparkz.modinfo in the directory ./mods/sparkz/

Files are found by searching for ./mods/<modnamehere>/<modnamehere>.modinfo

This should make installing a mod as easy as unpacking a zip into the ./mods directory

More fields can be added, for example 'author' would be a handy addition and perhaps internal version numbers.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

CountingWizard posted:

I don't know how submersibles are going to work because the current water mechanics stress the server out a lot whenever it's flowing somewhere.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does this look like a good layout? Sewer gauge thing is the fuel bin, capture station is the tech/3d printer station, cupboard is the ship's locker, planet screen is the teleporter (sunk into the floor).

Not sure whether to put actual solid floor in the cargo hold(s) or leave it as platforms so people have a big space to knock them out and customize as desired.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 14, 2013

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Spin their own silk with which to make bandages/other things, maybe? It'd be tricky, but I bet you could do it. Definitely could make an acid spit attack.

It could even be something simple like a "carapace" thing, where if you've got a full set equipped, you get an armor bonus.

But that's later, want to get this art done at the very least.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

messagemode1 posted:

I don't know how submersibles are going to work because the current water mechanics stress the server out a lot whenever it's flowing somewhere.

The "ocean" liquid works very differently than water and the rest of the liquids, and I think it's to address just this issue. The lava at the center of the earth also has different physics from normal lava in some similar ways. But maybe they're still working on getting it working up to an acceptable level, and that's why they haven't added ocean biomes.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005
If you haven't checked out the server yet, you should come hang out with us on the Goon Starbound server - starbound.420yoloswag.com - password is in the PGS thread.

I setup a new post in PGS for it here and will be setting up user accounts soon. Also looking for a few admins for when I'm not around to help out and keep things running smoothly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I really want to be able to craft those ship's doors. They'd be perfect for dungeons with a boss at the end, especially if we ever get anything like pressure plates, since they almost look identical to MMX boss doors.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kyrosiris posted:

I really want to be able to craft those ship's doors. They'd be perfect for dungeons with a boss at the end, especially if we ever get anything like pressure plates, since they almost look identical to MMX boss doors.

Rip yours off your ship and feed it into the 3d Printer, they're 2,000px each.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Planet generation should have less moons, it seems like every single planet has 3 or 4 moons and that just seems crazy. Also things besides planets in orbit around suns, asteroid belts, derelict alien spacecraft, ruined spacestations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Babe Magnet posted:

Haven't been in this thread since the game launched. Sup.

Anyway, I'm working on a race mod. I have only the vaguest idea on how to do the modding part, but I've got some concepts done at least!

These are cute as heeeeck! I'd change that pure black on the gladiator's helmet to something a bit greyer though.

Should we start a modding thread? I feel like I'm missing the stuff people are building and I should probably ask a few questions about how baby I've broken my recipes.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

OK figured out some things about food.

First, plants give no shits about soil type, biome, weather, etc. They all just have different maturation times, boltbulbs and rice being on the fast end, chillis being hideously painfully slow. They only grow when your character is around, and it seems to need to be within a certain radius, something like 2-2.5 screen lengths is your "grow" radius (Chillis apparently take about 45 minutes to grow according to some nerd on the official forums but it seems much longer in practice due to the fact that you rarely stay still for 45 minutes).

As for cooking, i have non-comprehensively tested the various cookables and here's what i've found (examples will be Hylotl)
  • I have no recipes for snacks or drinks so i have no idea what they do.
  • Salads(Ricecake) just give nutrition, usually quite a lot. If you want to not starve it's probably easiest to put a tiny plot on your ship of rice (or corn or boltbulbs or w/e) and make them into salads periodically.
  • Entrees(Coralcreep Curry) add a pretty big regeneration buff, seems significantly stronger than red stimpacks. Thank christ, bandages really fall off in effectiveness after a while.
  • Deserts(Brineapple) give you regeneration, higher jump, really fast run, and light you on fire. They may boost damage, i'll test that in a bit.

Reason posted:

Planet generation should have less moons, it seems like every single planet has 3 or 4 moons and that just seems crazy. Also things besides planets in orbit around suns, asteroid belts, derelict alien spacecraft, ruined spacestations.

Our solar system has 173 moons and 8 planets. The only planets that don't have moons in the solar system are Mercury and Venus, and Earth is the only one with one moon (Jupiter has 51). If we put our cutoff point pretty high, at say Enceladus (diameter around 500km), Saturn has six, Jupiter and Uranus have 4, Earth and Neptune have 1, plus Pluto (and its moon,Charon), Eris, Ceres, Vesta, and Haumea.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Tentacle Planet music is so boss.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Tulip posted:

Our solar system has 173 moons and 8 planets. The only planets that don't have moons in the solar system are Mercury and Venus, and Earth is the only one with one moon (Jupiter has 51). If we put our cutoff point pretty high, at say Enceladus (diameter around 500km), Saturn has six, Jupiter and Uranus have 4, Earth and Neptune have 1, plus Pluto (and its moon,Charon), Eris, Ceres, Vesta, and Haumea.

All very true. All very irrelevant. Realism is not where you go for game design choices.

I don't mind the moon density much but I would rather see more varied objects instead. Derelict space stations, belts and other rocky debris, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I like the moon density, it's nice having a few places you can travel cheaply since they made fuel so much scarcer.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tzarnal posted:

All very true. All very irrelevant. Realism is not where you go for game design choices.

No game is designed entirely around complete abstraction, drawing from real things helps you make something familiar a player can relate to lived experience or prior knowledge. The most moons I've seen on a planet in this game is five or six and that is pretty rare, I don't know what useful function restricting moon quantity would have on the game besides "it's Just A Game it doesn't Have To Make Sense."

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tulip posted:

Thank christ, bandages really fall off in effectiveness after a while.

If I could figure out why my recipes are not showing up and why my crafting station crashes the game as soon as you interact with it, I could fix that problem. :smith:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

No game is designed entirely around complete abstraction, drawing from real things helps you make something familiar a player can relate to lived experience or prior knowledge. The most moons I've seen on a planet in this game is five or six and that is pretty rare, I don't know what useful function restricting moon quantity would have on the game besides "it's Just A Game it doesn't Have To Make Sense."

Its hard to keep track of where you've been and where you haven't without leaving a marker and then later landing on it, as far as I can tell there's no indication on your star map or any way to say yes I've been to this planet and I never want to return. Less moons would make it slightly easier to remember which planet you've visited with a solar system, but trying to remember every single moon and every single planet in every single system is pretty nuts. I've got a notepad open and have a list of places I've cleared out, but its starting to get absolutely huge.

Another issue is that some planets/moons are just plain boring and there's no way to distinguish a boring one from a not boring one without landing and running all the way across it. (At least that I've found so far). Having less, but more interesting planetary bodies would go a long way to making the game more fun.

All this could be fixed by letting us just put notes in our ship's star map of course.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tzarnal posted:

I don't mind the moon density much but I would rather see more varied objects instead. Derelict space stations, belts and other rocky debris, etc.

Oh yea that's totally fair. Like i'd hate it if planet objects were actually close to realistic in size. What i really want is the planets to be more hazardous/varied. Tentacle planets should be terrifying, volcanic planets should be a lot more nightmarish, the gravity of planets should vary based on size.

90% of what i want though is quality of life improvements, christ would it kill them to give us a surface map.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like the moon density, it's nice having a few places you can travel cheaply since they made fuel so much scarcer.

The trouble with high moon densities at the moment is that it's very much in your interest while exploring to spend a lot of time searching for orbits with a high number of planet objects. Thank christ they don't have like 8 or 9 or i'd feel like i needed to hunt for those systems. Which is really a problem with fuel balance: it feels fine for sector-to-sector, but it should probably be like 10-20 for orbits in the same system and 50 for systems in the same sector.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does anybody have any good co-ordinates for planets containing Glitch dungeons? I need Matter blocks for some crafting stuff and I am just having no luck.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tulip posted:

Oh yea that's totally fair. Like i'd hate it if planet objects were actually close to realistic in size. What i really want is the planets to be more hazardous/varied. Tentacle planets should be terrifying, volcanic planets should be a lot more nightmarish, the gravity of planets should vary based on size.
Hopefully with a corresponding increase in rewards, since as is they don't seem to have anything in particular that isn't available elsewhere in similar quantities.

If they're nasty enough, maybe with things you flat out can't get elsewhere.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

If I could figure out why my recipes are not showing up and why my crafting station crashes the game as soon as you interact with it, I could fix that problem. :smith:

Have you used Tabula Rasa for reference? It's a mod that brings a new crafting station which you can easily insert recipes into for use with other mods. Tabula Rasa is very simple and works perfectly.

If you're getting crashes, I'd also suggest taking a look at the crash logs. They're not too much harder to poss than the asset files, really. I was able to get enough info out of them to fix a crash bug I was having with the water balloon gun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

The trouble with high moon densities at the moment is that it's very much in your interest while exploring to spend a lot of time searching for orbits with a high number of planet objects. Thank christ they don't have like 8 or 9 or i'd feel like i needed to hunt for those systems. Which is really a problem with fuel balance: it feels fine for sector-to-sector, but it should probably be like 10-20 for orbits in the same system and 50 for systems in the same sector.

I'd say just the opposite, interstellar travel is way too expensive right now. If there were more to do on each planet and more reason to stick around in one place for extended periods of time that might be different but right now the most enjoyable part of the game is exploration and running into new dungeons/features and that means a lot of travel.

You also have to consider that even the current level of coal generation is (apparently?) higher than they mean for it to be.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Does anybody have any good co-ordinates for planets containing Glitch dungeons? I need Matter blocks for some crafting stuff and I am just having no luck.
Do you mean the avian techno-pyramids?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zereth posted:

Do you mean the avian techno-pyramids?

Are they avian? I could have sworn I was attacked by Glitch dudes. But yeah they were big ol steel pyramids.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

Are they avian? I could have sworn I was attacked by Glitch dudes. But yeah they were big ol steel pyramids.
I think those are races that have been turned into robots by the Apex. It's kind of unclear.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

The White Dragon posted:

I think those are races that have been turned into robots by the Apex. It's kind of unclear.

Going by filenames, they're just generic dungeons.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zereth posted:

Hopefully with a corresponding increase in rewards, since as is they don't seem to have anything in particular that isn't available elsewhere in similar quantities.

If they're nasty enough, maybe with things you flat out can't get elsewhere.

This would probably help with the incredible blandness of the post-peanut butter world.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd say just the opposite, interstellar travel is way too expensive right now. If there were more to do on each planet and more reason to stick around in one place for extended periods of time that might be different but right now the most enjoyable part of the game is exploration and running into new dungeons/features and that means a lot of travel.

You also have to consider that even the current level of coal generation is (apparently?) higher than they mean for it to be.

Huh? My interstellar jumps are almost always 200 and my interplanetarys are usually 50, the numbers i posted are much lower. I find it impossible to explore outside of a given system until uranium for this reason (i'm just not willing to deforest whole planets, that's too loving tedious).

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it might be in their best interest to temporarily reduce fuel costs for the beta, even if they'll be higher in the final product. The reason is that it seems likely they intend to add in more efficient fuel drives at higher tech levels. (That is to say, beyond "Caveman.") Until they have their full ship upgrade tree in place, it's probably best to reduce fuel costs for now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tulip posted:

Huh? My interstellar jumps are almost always 200 and my interplanetarys are usually 50, the numbers i posted are much lower. I find it impossible to explore outside of a given system until uranium for this reason (i'm just not willing to deforest whole planets, that's too loving tedious).

I'm dumb and confused sector-to-sector with interstellar, my bad.

On review that sounds fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

I was assuming they were cybered-up Avians. They do yell about Kluex, after all.

EDIT: And they have some crystal poo poo around. Crystals are an Avian thing.

• Locked thread