Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Aexo posted:

Is there any way I can get my Galaxy S3 to know that L710VPMJ9 is available and to install it?

Not really a good way. Sometimes if you mess with the Google framework data it'll pick up, but in most cases it won't until your serial number is pushed.

Usually the files for these things get dumped though, you could see if XDA or one of the other phone forums has the OTA available for download. Then you just copy it to your phone and reboot in recovery usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
If you're thinking about getting a S4, you might want to hold off a bit:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-debuts-samsung-galaxy-s-4-with-the-benefit-of-sprint-spark.htm?view_id=6791

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

This sounds like a recipe for a phone that will never be updated. EVER.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
Last week my S3 updated to 4.3 and ever since then it's been way slower and the button always takes me to the app manager screen instead of the home screen but mostly it's just all around slow. Any fixes for this?

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Nexus 5 coming tomorrow and I'm getting a Sprint MicroSIM for it in a few minutes. Oh, the anticipation.
Heh, Anticipation.

Also do I need to bring the N5 to the store with the SIM to have it activated or can I just pop in the SIM and do it online?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Online, AFAIK. There is literally no reason to go to a store unless you have a repair issue, need to pay a bill in cash, or like getting hounded by reps desperate for any business right now because sprint moved everyone that was upgrade eligible in December to be eligible in November so we now have no leads or prospects for the month.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Got the MicroSIM, was told to activate online or to call *2 on the phone once the SIM was put in. Anticipaaaation!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Anonomono posted:

Got the MicroSIM, was told to activate online or to call *2 on the phone once the SIM was put in. Anticipaaaation!

Yeah, I had to do this. I punched in the IMEI and SIM number and it directed me to chat, where they took care of it in about five minutes.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Just got a notification for a LG G2 update ([Production]-LS980ZV7_01_to_ZV8_13), 110.4 MB. Looks like it may be Sprint Spark? "This system update will ensure your device is working at optimal performance with the Sprint network. The update will require that your phone is rebooted and it will not be available for emergency calls while installing the software."

Anyone know anything about it? I'm totally stock, but thinking about rooting.

EDIT: Sprint says:

Audio issue enhancement
Google security patch

with no further details.

EDIT 2: XDA says it's a new radio and minor fixes.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 11, 2013

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
The 800MHz rollout seems to have suddenly started moving along pretty good. According to S4GRU, over the weekend they added 34 in Atlanta, 34 in Colorado, 41 in Minnesota, 53 in Philadelphia, 43 in San Francisco and 47 in Utah. No idea if they're turning on LTE in that band yet (my assumption would be that it comes later) but it's nice to finally see some progress that's not single digits.

Edit: Looks like it does come later but I'm not a Premier Sponsor to see the LTE 800 maps :)

datajosh fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 11, 2013

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

datajosh posted:

The 800MHz rollout seems to have suddenly started moving along pretty good. According to S4GRU, over the weekend they added 34 in Atlanta, 34 in Colorado, 41 in Minnesota, 53 in Philadelphia, 43 in San Francisco and 47 in Utah. No idea if they're turning on LTE in that band yet (my assumption would be that it comes later) but it's nice to finally see some progress that's not single digits.

Edit: Looks like it does come later but I'm not a Premier Sponsor to see the LTE 800 maps :)

34 in Colorado? aw yiss

Here's hoping I come home from vacation to LTE everywhere.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

datajosh posted:

Word on the street is that Samsung is going to be doing a lot of mass rollouts like that over the next month or two in their regions.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

td4guy posted:

Word on the street is that Samsung is going to be doing a lot of mass rollouts like that over the next month or two in their regions.

Yeah, December-January's definitely the time to schedule a bunch of tower work across that part of the country.

(Glad to hear it, though.)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

td4guy posted:

What happened to California?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Haha, they had to make the map like that to include the handful of antennas out on Catalina Island too.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've used 10 gigs of data this month, vacation lol.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

datajosh posted:

:f5h::toot::fh:

Band 26 (LTE 800) Acceptances
December 12, 2013

Chicago - 2
Houston - 15
Jacksonville - 1
Kansas - 1

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
I've heard other people with Galaxy Nexus have the same issue I'm having with losing connection and having to do airplane mode on/off.

Is this only a Galaxy Nexus thing? My contract is up soon, and I don't want to risk this happening again. I probably will switch anyway because I'm so annoyed by this.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Raimondi posted:

I've heard other people with Galaxy Nexus have the same issue I'm having with losing connection and having to do airplane mode on/off.

Is this only a Galaxy Nexus thing? My contract is up soon, and I don't want to risk this happening again. I probably will switch anyway because I'm so annoyed by this.

Yeah, it's a GNex thing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just left Sprint for T-Mobile and now apparently Sprint wants to buy T-Mobile? http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/13/5208312/sprint-reportedly-preparing-to-purchase-t-mobile-in-2014

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Skeezy posted:

I just left Sprint for T-Mobile and now apparently Sprint wants to buy T-Mobile? http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/13/5208312/sprint-reportedly-preparing-to-purchase-t-mobile-in-2014

The rumors of sprint and t-mobile merging are as old as time itself. I wouldn't count on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Skeezy posted:

We keep getting new stories about this merge and its been getting talked about for a few years now I think? So who knows what will happen.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Are the regular sprint family plans gone now? I'd like to drop the minutes and data down quite a bit on our 1500 minutes unlimited data plan but I don't see anything similar on sprints website anymore. I only ask because I have a legit 25% discount and they take the discount off of the main plan, with the new plans the discount ends up being much smaller.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

St. Blaize posted:

Are the regular sprint family plans gone now?
Yup. Unless you're grandfathered into it, all you can get is the Unlimited My Way. I think there are a tiny handful of other plans floating around, but no more Everything Data.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

We keep getting new stories about this merge and its been getting talked about for a few years now I think? So who knows what will happen.

Hell the stories used to be Verizon was going to buy Sprint or the reverse back before Verizon became 50%+ of the market.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That seems more technically feasible. I suppose it could happen with T-Mobile if Sprint gets 100% LTE and switches to voice over LTE. So, like, maybe in a million years.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

St. Blaize posted:

Are the regular sprint family plans gone now? I'd like to drop the minutes and data down quite a bit on our 1500 minutes unlimited data plan but I don't see anything similar on sprints website anymore. I only ask because I have a legit 25% discount and they take the discount off of the main plan, with the new plans the discount ends up being much smaller.

Even if they weren't, 1500 was the lowest family plan minute package for a long time.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
My entire company and all its many locations is switching from Sprint to Verizon and I can't wait. Sprint is so bad in Florida that it's virtually useless. My iphone 5s had 3 bars of LTE service when I ran a speedtest. It gave me 0.08 down. Good riddance.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CharlesM posted:

That seems more technically feasible. I suppose it could happen with T-Mobile if Sprint gets 100% LTE and switches to voice over LTE. So, like, maybe in a million years.

I don't know NV will have LTE on the one band done by the end of the year and Spark should be deployed in most of the network by the end of the year so there could be some VoLTE with CDMA/GSM fallback phones in late 2014. Softbank throwing money at could only help.

I hope Sprint can leapfrog years of pitiful network performance, but they finally are in a position to do so (once they get NV/Spark deployed).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stick100 posted:

I don't know NV will have LTE on the one band done by the end of the year and Spark should be deployed in most of the network by the end of the year so there could be some VoLTE with CDMA/GSM fallback phones in late 2014. Softbank throwing money at could only help.

I hope Sprint can leapfrog years of pitiful network performance, but they finally are in a position to do so (once they get NV/Spark deployed).

Once they get to a point where manufacturers don't have to offer them special snowflake cripplemods of hardware they'll be golden.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I feel lucky. At home, Sprint LTE is faster then my Wifi connection.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
A good chunk of Nebraska had LTE along I-80 when I drove through yesterday.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The second hand rumor I heard today is that Buffalo is getting 4g activated on the 31st, and that the towers are all done. No idea if it's true, but would be good news.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
They've been flipping on LTE towers one at a time in Colorado Springs, we've got a few now, it's nice.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 17, 2013

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Surprise surprise, I got a postcard that my rebate on the Nexus 5 preorder was denied. In-loving-credible. Both of the invalid conditions on here are valid, and both should be handled by their stupid loving web page in the first place. I had to get the 2 year contract to get the upgrade discount, and their webpage still says today that there's a $50 rebate for the Nexus 5, so I know the device is correct.

I don't even really care about the loving thing but at least give it to me for taking the time to fill out the dumb form you hotlinked so lazily on your own drat web page and took off the "price" in the cart. Sent an email on their dumb web form, I want to see what kind of lovely canned response I get from the first tier before I go yelling at someone undeservedly on the phone.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 17, 2013

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

CrashCat posted:

Surprise surprise, I got a postcard that my rebate on the Nexus 5 preorder was denied. In-loving-credible. Both of the invalid conditions on here are valid, and both should be handled by their stupid loving web page in the first place. I had to get the 2 year contract to get the upgrade discount, and their webpage still says today that there's a $50 rebate for the Nexus 5, so I know the device is correct.

I don't even really care about the loving thing but at least give it to me for taking the time to fill out the dumb form you hotlinked so lazily on your own drat web page and took off the "price" in the cart. Sent an email on their dumb web form, I want to see what kind of lovely canned response I get from the first tier before I go yelling at someone undeservedly on the phone.

If you paid with a credit card, I would escalate with them ASAP before it becomes too late. I've gotten rebates refunded directly to a credit card before when I was hosed in a similar manner.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

KillHour posted:

The second hand rumor I heard today is that Buffalo is getting 4g activated on the 31st, and that the towers are all done. No idea if it's true, but would be good news.

There is a good chance of this being true. Buffalo is a Samsung market and according to S4GRU forums Samsung is about to do mass acceptances on towers. It drat better be true.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

A year or so back it actually was pretty easy to get this reversed, you call the rebates department and talk to them, they usually fix it and then re ship the rebate. I think the OP still has my instructions on fixing it. Try that, only issue is whether they changed how their rebates work.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ninmeister posted:

There is a good chance of this being true. Buffalo is a Samsung market and according to S4GRU forums Samsung is about to do mass acceptances on towers. It drat better be true.

I was roaming in my apartment yesterday, where I normally have max bars, so perhaps they were testing. I have not notices the speed increase on 3G that I would have thought would signal it being near completion though .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

A year or so back it actually was pretty easy to get this reversed, you call the rebates department and talk to them, they usually fix it and then re ship the rebate. I think the OP still has my instructions on fixing it. Try that, only issue is whether they changed how their rebates work.

Yeah, I've had to call for a few customers here and there, usually it's something fairly simple like somebody at the rebate center keying it in wrong.

Since that was a pre-order, there's also a chance the date on the contract and invoice didn't match up and that kicked it out, but a person should be able to see that and fix it.