Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Big steel techno pyramid literally a screen or two left of spawn at X:32749408 Y:86627433, on Alpha Xi Oph 21 II a in Alpha quadrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

Is the underground on moons with ice cold nights just as cold or can you dig down without needing a fireplace every minute?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Should we start a modding thread? I feel like I'm missing the stuff people are building and I should probably ask a few questions about how baby I've broken my recipes.

If somebody feels like doing this, that'd be incredibly helpful, since I feel like everything useful is getting lost due to the speed that this thread moves.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

az posted:

Is the underground on moons with ice cold nights just as cold or can you dig down without needing a fireplace every minute?

I think even Forest planets get cold underground at night. I don't think they've done anything with temperature beyond sitting beside campfires and heaters yet.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I was actually on a planet a while ago that was warmer at night :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

az posted:

It depends. Last moon I was on had a warm, fleshy center.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

My Avian apparently can't decide which gods to appease with his ship.

My only regret is not having a "Big Ape is watching you" sign for the bathroom.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

toasterwarrior posted:

I think even Forest planets get cold underground at night. I don't think they've done anything with temperature beyond sitting beside campfires and heaters yet.

I just put down like 3 or 4 torches by my feet instead of a campfire. Seems to work just as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Novasol posted:

My Avian apparently can't decide which gods to appease with his ship.

My only regret is not having a "Big Ape is watching you" sign for the bathroom.

Man, I reaaallly wish we could do this in-game.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tulip posted:

Oh yea that's totally fair. Like i'd hate it if planet objects were actually close to realistic in size. What i really want is the planets to be more hazardous/varied. Tentacle planets should be terrifying, volcanic planets should be a lot more nightmarish, the gravity of planets should vary based on size.

I hope it's just an issue with a lot of content not being in the game yet, but right now I really feel like they missed a big opportunity to differentiate worlds beyond randomly generated trees and monsters. I would love to see worlds that are just outright murderous to land on without specialized gear, and that ideally contain unique features that don't show up anywhere else. Planets just feel too much like biomes (which, admittedly, is all they are) in Terraria/Minecraft, and I think a lot of that is due to them all being mechanically identical aside from cold.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I hope it's just an issue with a lot of content not being in the game yet, but right now I really feel like they missed a big opportunity to differentiate worlds beyond randomly generated trees and monsters. I would love to see worlds that are just outright murderous to land on without specialized gear, and that ideally contain unique features that don't show up anywhere else. Planets just feel too much like biomes (which, admittedly, is all they are) in Terraria/Minecraft, and I think a lot of that is due to them all being mechanically identical aside from cold.

IIRC the space helmet you can craft will eventually be necessary to survive on moons. So that kind of stuff will be in the game, eventually.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I got curious about what was beneath the lava in a planet's core, so I started a long dirt tunnel down it. Turns out the screen stops scrolling after a while. Here's my Floran looking at the hole to the end of the world, getting ready to jump in. For science!

When you jump in, you don't even get a lava debuff, you just instantly die. Oh well!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Indecisive posted:

I was actually on a planet a while ago that was warmer at night :v:

I ran into this, too. Probably limited to ice planets, but some of them get comfortably warm at night while requiring you to stay near fires during the day.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the Vagyr ship is really awesome. Though the first time you showed it off I saw the early-80s sci-fi colors, stripes and misread the Vagyr name and got really excited that someone was doing Traveller stuff. The Vargr are the best group of Space Corsairs ever.

Too bad everyone would just cry "furry" these days. :smith:

Though the Vargr Tramp Freighter is pretty well shaped to be a Starbound ship. Too bad I'm terrible at pixel art (or art in general).

The Vaygr that the ship is based on is a Homeworld2 race of which no real actual depictions exist, and they are big on the Chris Foss type of assymetrical designs. They're a warrior race with a central hivemind born from another warrior, and it turns out all of them, and their actions result in them being space-assholes. They have some cool-rear end ship designs, though:

Vaygr Destroyer:

The ship itself is roughly based on the Vaygr Battlecruiser:

My personal design favorite though, which is all-heavy on the chriss-foss angle is the lowliest fighter craft

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 14, 2013

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

So Titanium chairs can't be rotated properly BUT the point that a character sits at DOES rotate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh I know who the Vagyr are (though I've never played Homeworld 2) and that they're not space wolves. I just misread it the first time is all. Vargr, Vagyr, close enough. :v:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Asymmetrical spaceship designs are awesome.

Food chat, what's the best way to gather new recipes? I'd love to start a huge farm / food factory at some point in the future, but it seems pretty rare to find new recipes so I'm stuck with a handful of starting recipes.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I've found a few at vendors, but they're broken right now so that's a no-go until the next patch hopefully fixes it.

edit: or maybe in chests in towns, I can't remember

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Asymmetrical spaceship designs are awesome.

Food chat, what's the best way to gather new recipes? I'd love to start a huge farm / food factory at some point in the future, but it seems pretty rare to find new recipes so I'm stuck with a handful of starting recipes.

As someone who is actively trying to find recipes, raiding bookcases and chests in villages is the best way.

You can find seeds, rarely, in small chests on planets too.

Recipes seem exclusively in inhabited areas, though. Glitch castles have been really good for glitch recipes.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

I felt like I needed to get in on the vargr bandwagon as it looked like the ideal ship design for me

It's not furnished and I'll probably mess with it some more, but I like it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Haven't been in this thread since the game launched. Sup.

Anyway, I'm working on a race mod. I have only the vaguest idea on how to do the modding part, but I've got some concepts done at least!

Bug People/Rome and a little Greece

Needs more ant butts! Ants are most appropriate for digging, anyway. :v:

But good bug race. Now I have to actually agonize over my choice of bug race.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

The Vaygr that the ship is based on is a Homeworld2 race of which no real actual depictions exist, and they are big on the Chris Foss type of assymetrical designs. They're a warrior race with a central hivemind born from another warrior, and it turns out all of them, and their actions result in them being space-assholes. They have some cool-rear end ship designs, though:

-snip-

The Homeworld series managed to be a huge inspiration for me way back in the day and it still marks my technical designs quite a bit. Especially in this case where it was pretty much literally an "inspired by" design -- it's actually sort of a weird mashup of mostly the Vaygr BC, with elements of the Vaygr corvettes and my semi-accurate memories of some unused concept art for a Vaygr frigate:

The species I'm working on is definitely not intended to be literally the Vaygr, though. I just really like the aesthetic.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 14, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I like the look of that mod-conscious patch coming up. The one catch, though, is that for it to be effective they absolutely have to find a way to add new starter recipes without modifying player.config. As it stands modifying that (or the individual racial recipe lists) is the only way to add recipes the player knows off the bat, and every single mod that adds new craftables has to edit it, resulting inevitably in lots of problems. By making the mod files more independent and, hopefully, creating a new way to add generic or racial starter recipes, they'll be ensuring that most mods will be able to persist through many versions, without needing updates. I've said it before but after Minecraft's "every mod breaks with the slightest patch" trend, it's really refreshing to see a mod system that you can just set and forget.

The White Dragon posted:

No way, when you roll through as Hylotl all they do is talk poo poo. They're easily the most fun race to murder.
While playing as a Hylotl, I actually ran into a Floran who confided in me something like "Floran not even dislike fish, really, but entrenched rivalry inescapable." :3:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

I like the look of that mod-conscious patch coming up. The one catch, though, is that for it to be effective they absolutely have to find a way to add new starter recipes without modifying player.config. As it stands modifying that (or the individual racial recipe lists) is the only way to add recipes the player knows off the bat, and every single mod that adds new craftables has to edit it, resulting inevitably in lots of problems. By making the mod files more independent and, hopefully, creating a new way to add generic or racial starter recipes, they'll be ensuring that most mods will be able to persist through many versions, without needing updates. I've said it before but after Minecraft's "every mod breaks with the slightest patch" trend, it's really refreshing to see a mod system that you can just set and forget.

While playing as a Hylotl, I actually ran into a Floran who confided in me something like "Floran not even dislike fish, really, but entrenched rivalry inescapable." :3:

I hope they set up a better way to integrate character object descriptions and npc speech with this patch. As things currently stand I'm almost certain my only option is to individually edit each object and npc file to add the dialogue, which is a bit of a pain.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
Found TWO techs on my starting planet!

Unfortunately, they were both Pulse Jump.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Superstring posted:

I got curious about what was beneath the lava in a planet's core, so I started a long dirt tunnel down it. Turns out the screen stops scrolling after a while. Here's my Floran looking at the hole to the end of the world, getting ready to jump in. For science!

When you jump in, you don't even get a lava debuff, you just instantly die. Oh well!

I did that a few updates ago. I got stuck in an infinite falling loop, and when I pierced the wall to let lava in to kill myself, it shot up like a fountain due to pressure, I assume. It was pretty neat.

Rhjamiz posted:

Needs more ant butts! Ants are most appropriate for digging, anyway. :v:

But good bug race. Now I have to actually agonize over my choice of bug race.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a reliable way to add attachments like ant butts or tails or wings or whatever, outside of back items.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
One more quick question for now:

Is it the normal thing right now for there to be WAY more Iron, Gold and Silver than Copper ores TL1 planets? I swear, by the time I've planet-hopped enough to make a full suit of Copper Armor I'll be able to upgrade it right away.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Okay I'm trying to tinker around with learning to mod this stuff. So I got three parts. I'm trying to build a basic duplicate tool atm, so:

assets/items/tools/itemname.itemname
This is for the item itself. Modify the properties and actions it does.

assets/recipes/starter/plain/itemname.recipe
To craft the item from the standard crafting button. This lists the items neccessary to make it, and what categories.

assets/player.config
This attaches the recipe to the default list a player can craft
code:
  "defaultBlueprints" : {
    "tier1" : [
       { "item" : "itemname" }
   ],
But when I start up a character, it doesn't show the item available to craft. Am I missing a step or am I just dumb :confused:

EDIT: I'm just an idiot and had to restart the game.

nullEntityRNG fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 14, 2013

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Has anyone found a merchant that sells seeds? I have a farm up and running, and while I have a large variety of plants, of most I have like 3 or 4 because they either grow very slowly or I get unlucky on their seed production. I could cover this planet in wheat but I'm still farming the same two sugar cane plants over and over.

At least I found a chef spawner and the chef sells the meat scraps needed to cook my boneboos into meat and marrow, food with health regeneration. Floran like.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 14, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Vib Rib posted:

They're aware of the player.config issue and fixing it at some point. I was writing a merge tool to ghetto fix it but it's being addressed by the devs soon! I'm assuming they'll just remove the recipe portion from player.config entirely and have the game scan the recipe folders so that all relevant info for the recipe can be stored in the .recipe file without touching player.config

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Psykmoe posted:

Has anyone found a merchant that sells seeds? I have a farm up and running, and while I have a large variety of plants, of most I have like 3 or 4 because they either grow very slowly or I get unlucky on their seed production. I could cover this planet in wheat but I'm still farming the same two sugar cane plants over and over.

At least I found a chef spawner and the chef sells the meat scraps needed to cook my boneboos into meat and marrow, food with health regeneration. Floran like.
Meat Chunks?

You get those by cooking cooked alien meat. No, I'm not sure how you're supposed to find that out without looking it up on the wiki or something.

The seeds though, yeah. If they aren't going to reliably drop more than one seed or be sold by merchants you need to be able to clone ones you have or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Doc Dee posted:

Is it the normal thing right now for there to be WAY more Iron, Gold and Silver than Copper ores TL1 planets? I swear, by the time I've planet-hopped enough to make a full suit of Copper Armor I'll be able to upgrade it right away.

Nah, ore distribution is bugged to excess right now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zereth posted:

Meat Chunks?

You get those by cooking cooked alien meat. No, I'm not sure how you're supposed to find that out without looking it up on the wiki or something.

The seeds though, yeah. If they aren't going to reliably drop more than one seed or be sold by merchants you need to be able to clone ones you have or something.

Well, you can find it out by reading an unprompted forum post too! Seriously, thanks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, that one is odd. I'm usually swimming in copper ore, which once you make your pick and armor is useless except for making a drill way down the line (to immediately upgrade out of copper, so I'm not sure what the point is there) and repairing digging tools.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, you can find it out by reading an unprompted forum post too! Seriously, thanks.
That would be an "or something". My point is the game never actually tells you how to make them. It'd be nice if when you had an item selected in crafting, it'd give you a list of the ingredients in the description instead of having to hover over the entry, so you could see tooltips for the components. And meat chunks perhaps told you how to make them in the description.

EDIT: Knowing this means the Florans have a highly reliable form of food and healing, though, since boneboos seem to spawn more seeds regularly and they start with them.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 14, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is the ore repair thing bugged? Diamond ore doesn't repair, and copper repairs so efficiently that my diamond drill is never in less than perfect condition (save when i'm feeling lazy).

Psykmoe posted:

Seriously the merchants in this world are in some sort of terminator seed conspiracy or some poo poo. So many seedless tomatoes, bananas, grapes... and how the gently caress do they sell rice without selling rice seeds?

Most plants have a ratio of seeds to harvests that's greater than one, i actually found sugar to be pretty generous (something like 1/10 sugarcane gives 2 seeds) but nothing like rice. Chillis are however the bane of my existence.

How does one get candy or red apples? Is there some trick to it or is it just a pain in the rear end.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Doc Dee posted:

In one of the recent patches, ore distrubtion was bugged to have more than should be 'normal'. Exploit it while you can.

:edit: Especially when it comes to coal. Coal is more valuable than gold - its used for fuel and for crafting steel, you should always grab any and all coal veins you see. Also, don't bother with copper armor. You can kill the T1 boss with a Steel bow and no armor (or winter/makeshift armor) and skip straight to silver or better armor when you get to Beta sector.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 14, 2013

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Zereth posted:

I was assuming they were cybered-up Avians. They do yell about Kluex, after all.

EDIT: And they have some crystal poo poo around. Crystals are an Avian thing.

I've found those matter blocks in Apex labs. The purple guys with the red eyes that look like Glitch are just Apex in power armor.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Asked before but didn't get any response - does anyone have coords for a TL10 pirate ship?

Squarb
Oct 19, 2005
My Apex didn't want to leave the trees...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tulip posted:

Is the ore repair thing bugged? Diamond ore doesn't repair, and copper repairs so efficiently that my diamond drill is never in less than perfect condition (save when i'm feeling lazy).

Seriously the merchants in this world are in some sort of terminator seed conspiracy or some poo poo. So many seedless tomatoes, bananas, grapes... and how the gently caress do they sell rice without selling rice seeds?

Most plants have a ratio of seeds to harvests that's greater than one, i actually found sugar to be pretty generous (something like 1/10 sugarcane gives 2 seeds) but nothing like rice. Chillis are however the bane of my existence.

How does one get candy or red apples? Is there some trick to it or is it just a pain in the rear end.
Diamond ore is rare enough you probably shouldn't use it to repair even if you could, even the fact that you will end up with more copper than you need just mining stuff that happens next to what you actually want aside.

And I've gotten one extra chili seed from harvesting a total of four plants. Of course, given that it takes forever to grow, this isn't as good as it sounds.

Candy you need to find the recipe for, it's 3 sugar. As you are problaby aware, finding recipes in the wild at all is rare. Don't ask me about apples.

• Locked thread