Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Socks? Slippers? Shawl? You could use big yarn and do knit/purl patterns so it can really be felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Phishi posted:

Socks? Slippers? Shawl? You could use big yarn and do knit/purl patterns so it can really be felt.

:downsrim:

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Nibblet posted:

I see on Ravelry that there are a bunch of free charts for designs on the hexipuffs but other then one crochet pattern, there are no free patterns for the hexipuff itself. Is the only way to make these is by biting the bullet and paying the $6 for the pattern?

I know you said they are really just sock toes but I don't trust myself to go rogue on patterns.

I remember seeing a pattern for a stuffed hexagon a while back, but it got all sorts of nasty comments about "stealing" from the hexipuff blanket designer. It might have been taken down, but I don't know. :(

I don't understand all the hype over the blanket. I'm convinced that the designer's woodland fairy persona is what actually sells the pattern.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

This creeps me out in the most remarkable way. Tryptophobia, yall. I would hate to think someone spent years creating a blanket that horrifies in the worst way.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'm working on a hexipuff blanket myself and am not stuffing my puffs since I think the stuffed blankets just look stupid and unwieldy. I'm also going to sew it up properly and not the silly tie-at-the-corner method the pattern suggests. Yeah it'll take loving hours, but it'll actually hold up to wear and not be full of holes and with dangly ends everywhere.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'm working on a hexipuff blanket myself and am not stuffing my puffs since I think the stuffed blankets just look stupid and unwieldy. I'm also going to sew it up properly and not the silly tie-at-the-corner method the pattern suggests. Yeah it'll take loving hours, but it'll actually hold up to wear and not be full of holes and with dangly ends everywhere.

I can understand this to a point, do you live somewhere cold enough that a double thick blanket will be worth it?

For me there are so many other stash busting blankets that doing the "hexipuff" flat just seems kinda weird, you could make single thickness hexs and have twice as many to sew together.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I live in Chicago, so I'm certainly not in a hot part of the country. It is sock yarn, so the double thickness is about the same as if I was doing them in worsted weight in single thickness. And sock yarn is what a lot of people, myself included, have the most scraps of.

However, I AM tempted to undo all the puffs (all 80 of them, so I'm not TOO far into the estimated 400something for the blanket size I wanted) and just do a 10-stitch blanket style thing instead. Garter stitch I think would be just as good as double thickness stockinette, and would go faster. And wouldn't have to be seamed.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

a friendly penguin posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for tactile-y interesting patterns? I have a great aunt who is almost blind and lives in a home so she doesn't need any more stuff. But she always gives me something for Christmas so I feel obligated.

I was thinking something that she could use or just have that might be nice to feel since she can't see it. Or any other suggestions. I've given her gloves and a blanket before. Was thinking ear warmers maybe this year but I don't know.

I'm not normally one to advocate the use of pompom yarn, but it does feel amazing and knits up quickly. I recently bought a bunch in Christmas colors because it was on clearance for $1/skein. I ended up using four skeins to make a lap blanket, and added a simple crochet border using a fifth skein. The poms are a little obnoxious to work with, but they're amazingly soft and I can't stop touching it. My blanket turned out about 36" x 36" (92cm). I'm wearing it like a shawl right now.

The pattern is stupid easy, too. It's basically just a big mitered square. You start with a couple stitches, then increase one at the beginning of each row until it's the size you like (or you've used half your yarn). Then you decrease one at the beginning of each row until you're back down to a couple stitches, and bind off. I worked mine in stockinette so the poms would lay flatter, but garter stitch works fine too. I also found that twisting the stitches helped it hold together nicely since some pompom yarns have too much yarn between each pompom.

For the crochet border, I picked up stitches along the edge of the blanket and crocheted into them. When knitting with pompoms there will be on pom at the end of the row that's perpendicular to the rest. I picked up the carrier yarn next to one and slip stitched into it. Then I chained three and slip stitched into the carrier yarn on the other side of the pom. Worked this pattern all the way around, then did one round where I chained 3, then slip stitched into the space that the chain 3 on the previous round made. This might be cool to do with a contrasting novelty yarn too, like Homespun or eyelash yarn.

I've also used pompom yarn to make a pillow before, by just knitting a tube, stuffing a pillow form in there, and sewing the ends shut. I might make another because I still have several skeins of pompom yarn sitting around..

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

two forty posted:

This creeps me out in the most remarkable way. Tryptophobia, yall. I would hate to think someone spent years creating a blanket that horrifies in the worst way.

Same. It disturbs me on a visceral level.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nibblet posted:

I see on Ravelry that there are a bunch of free charts for designs on the hexipuffs but other then one crochet pattern, there are no free patterns for the hexipuff itself. Is the only way to make these is by biting the bullet and paying the $6 for the pattern?

I know you said they are really just sock toes but I don't trust myself to go rogue on patterns.

I don't have this pattern because any amount of money is too much for that pattern but I'll give it a go.

Cast on 20 stitches over two needles (figure 8 co or 'magic' co)
Knit a round.
K1, inc, k8, inc, k2, inc, k8, inc, k.
Knit.
K1, inc, k10, inc, k2, inc, k10, inc, k.
Knit.
I'm sure you see the pattern here. Do another four rows in this pattern. Knit another round. Do a decrease round in the same way you did the increases and then another knit round. Keep going until you have 20 stitches total again.

Stuff your hexagon, and cast off. Make more and then sow the hexagons with mattress stitch and start questioning your life.

And if you read this then you owe me $5.50.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 12, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I actually really like the looks of the quilt. If someone offered me a free one in my favorite color range, I would certainly take it and love it. But I know there's no way on the planet I have the attention span to knit more than 10 hexipuffs, max.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

The pattern is pretty easy to reverse engineer, and I figured it out pretty quickly.

I made a single puff. It sits on my desk at home, because I couldn't be bothered to make more than that. I hate knitting sock toes, I don't know why I thought I'd like hexipuffs.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
For my scrap blanket I just started making a bunch of squares. I have a ton of handspun samples and ends in various weights, so it couldn't just be sock weight, and different squares lets me do a lot of different patterns, which is fun. It's still going to be hideous when I'm done because nothing will match at all, but I don't care. As long as it keeps me warm!

...not that it's going to be done within the next three years, minimum...

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

MarsDragon posted:

For my scrap blanket I just started making a bunch of squares. I have a ton of handspun samples and ends in various weights, so it couldn't just be sock weight, and different squares lets me do a lot of different patterns, which is fun. It's still going to be hideous when I'm done because nothing will match at all, but I don't care. As long as it keeps me warm!

...not that it's going to be done within the next three years, minimum...

Do you or anyone else have a pattern for one of these scrap blankets (a full sized one). I'm currently working on my first throw/afghan but it's only 3ft wide, and I want to make a full sized blanket.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

wodan22 posted:

Do you or anyone else have a pattern for one of these scrap blankets (a full sized one). I'm currently working on my first throw/afghan but it's only 3ft wide, and I want to make a full sized blanket.

Sock Yarn blanket
10 inch blanket

Actually, Frankie's Knitted Stuff has a buncha scrap busting blankets

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/frankies-knitted-stuff

I like the apple core one

White Mage Illy
May 7, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

How to put them together? Doesn't the pattern page description even talk about how they're just tied together, as a selling point?

Yes, but as someone stated, I rather thought it would stress the corners, so I blindly hoped the designer had offered other alternatives.

Like, maybe it advertised the tie method for those people who are too lazy to sew but not so lazy they won't knit six billion hexagons? I'd like to say I have no idea what I was thinking, but this is a pattern for me, really.

And yes, it literally is just sock toes. I had actually figured that part out; you can just look at them and see that. I just wanted the secret to joining them that didn't suck.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

wodan22 posted:

Well...I knit a square I decided was a good size, and then started looking up various stitches and other things I could knit (or crochet) to about the same size. Sometimes it doesn't work so well, but mostly I got a bunch of same-sized squares.

When I decide I have enough I'm going to start sewing them together and then see if I need any more. In which case I'll make more. It's not a project with a complicated pattern, I'm just making it up as I go.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Hi knitters. After a few successful hats and fingerless mitts, I am tackling my first sweater. It is this Bulky Neck Down Cardigan pattern. After drooling over yarn online and at my LYS, I decided to make it out of Patons wool roving from Joann for $30 instead of the $165 worth of yarn I want at my LYS in case it turned out awful.

My question is is there a way to minimize felting/pilling/turning into a huge pile of poo poo when I am done with this thing and wearing it? I actually think it is turning out well and I like it. Should I just be resigned to the fact it will turn totally fuzzy in a couple wearings?

I can handle that if that is the case. So, what is a good bulky yarn to make my second one of these out of? I find myself sitting at work dreaming about coming home and knitting. It's exciting to be excited about something as boring as two feet of stockinette stitch.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Basically, the more yarn is smushed together, the less it will pill, because the fibers are all on lockdown. So one way of smushing it together is knitting it tightly. The problem is then your gauge will be off, plus you might get a sweater that will stand up on its own. Another good way to smush it together is to get yarn with a lot of plies, tightly spun. Unfortunately roving is the complete opposite. A textured pattern like seed or moss stitch can also help yarn stay stable.

Yarn that's less soft is less likely to pill because of staple length, but come on, I can't say not to buy dreamy soft yarn.

I wouldn't get your hopes super high for this sweater, unfortunately. It might be good after a few shavings, or it might wind up felting, especially in chafey places like under the arms, on the sides, wherever you carry your bag, etc. The yarn page does keep saying it's perfect for felting, which is always a red flag.

For your next bulky sweater, I would look at a plied yarn, maybe a needle size down from what's recommended for the yarn (but be sure you get gauge for the pattern, or knit an appropriate size up). I know it's way pricier, but maybe something like Cascade Venizia? Or Berroco Vintage Chunky, which has a pretty high dose of acrylic for durability, but still feels and looks great. If you want to use this roving yarn again, I would look at projects like hats and chunky cowls that just don't get much wear and tear. It sounds best for that. Or an actual felting project!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 14, 2013

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Single ply yarns look and feel nice but I have to agree that they are unsuitable for jumpers. That sort of yarn isn't strong enough for seams or for regular wear and tear. One of my first attempts at a cardigan was with a singly ply yarn and frogged it halfway through when I realised it was a stupid idea.

If you have already bought the yarn then I suggest using it for scarves, hats and cowls (not gloves though).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, so I'm working on this dog sweater for a Christmas gift. And it starts off with a k1p1 collar that you button together...except that I got a bit distracted and forgot to put the button holes in. What's the best way to go back and put them in that isn't outright frogging in?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Use tiny or oblong buttons that can fit between the stitches and say gently caress it? Or go along the edge and crochet button loops?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

Okay, so I'm working on this dog sweater for a Christmas gift. And it starts off with a k1p1 collar that you button together...except that I got a bit distracted and forgot to put the button holes in. What's the best way to go back and put them in that isn't outright frogging in?

You could snip a row and undo like 6 or 7 stitches or whatever the button hole calls for and put the stitches on DPNs, bind them off on each side to make the hole, then use the yarn of the stitches you undid (or an extra bit of yarn you weave in later) to reinforce it around the edges and to sew down the one odd stitch that won't have another stitch to bind off to.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Amykinz posted:

Use tiny or oblong buttons that can fit between the stitches and say gently caress it? Or go along the edge and crochet button loops?

Seconding crocheting button loops on the edge. If that would make the neck too loose, you could go with sewing on small frog closures rather than buttons & holes.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Thanks for the advice Anne and Sodium; I kind of thought this might be a lost cause. I am going to finish this sweater, wear it the three times or whatnot and then maybe try to felt it and see if it will fit one of my kids' dolls or something. That or enshrine it as my first venture into actual clothing.

That Cascade Venezia looks amazing. I think that by finishing this sweater and getting to know the ins and outs of the pattern, I will be able to justify buying something more expensive for the second try. Also, I will have the fuzzed out sweater for measurements if I need to make changes to the pattern for the second one because of needle size or whatever. It's way easier for me to do math if I have a visual aid.

My next sweater is going to be http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pull-me-over which I want to do in cascade 220 superwash. That should go much better. I just have to wait and hope I get my usual X-mas bonus and then I am going on a yarn buying spree.

I had no idea knitting was so addicting or expensive when I re-taught myself after learning as a kid. Back then I made a 1x1' garter stitch square and called it good.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I ended up dropping three stitches and slowly bringing them up one row at a time, making the button holes as I go along. Though now I wish I went for the crochet boarder idea. :shepicide:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

HungryMedusa posted:

My next sweater is going to be http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pull-me-over which I want to do in cascade 220 superwash. That should go much better. I just have to wait and hope I get my usual X-mas bonus and then I am going on a yarn buying spree.

Swatch the Cascade 220 superwash. It grows massively after a wash and dry, for whatever reason. I'm lucky my mother loves her now three sizes too big sweater, but it was still really frustrating.

It's otherwise a pretty marvelous yarn, and she hasn't needed me to do any repairs (going on three years now).

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
Christmas money! I am seriously thinking about buying me some of those fancy interchangeable circular needles. Are they worth the money? And which ones are good? Right now I'm looking at the Knitter's Pride Dreamz Deluxe Interchangeabl​e Long Tip Knitting Needle Set. They are comfortably in my price range. I would be willing to spend a bit more though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H7QXMO/ref=wl_it_dp_v_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3FY5D2QTO49PO&coliid=I1T3D58SUK20VK
Are these the Dreamz they claim to be?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

FelicityGS posted:

Swatch the Cascade 220 superwash. It grows massively after a wash and dry, for whatever reason. I'm lucky my mother loves her now three sizes too big sweater, but it was still really frustrating.

It's otherwise a pretty marvelous yarn, and she hasn't needed me to do any repairs (going on three years now).

Oh for the love! How about Malbarigo Rios? I am such a yarn newbie. I want my next project to be easy as far as blocking and wearing goes. I have made peace with the knitting part.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

HungryMedusa posted:

Oh for the love! How about Malbarigo Rios? I am such a yarn newbie. I want my next project to be easy as far as blocking and wearing goes. I have made peace with the knitting part.

Malabrigo Rios also grows too. I think most superwash wools do? I could be wrong, though. I still like it a lot because it's easier to work with, but one of my sweaters grew a bit.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, most superwash wools will grow. It's because of how the yarn was treated.

Swatching is honestly going to be your best friend HungryMedusa. If you knit another sweater, the next yarn won't behave exactly like the one you're using right now, so it doesn't hurt to take some time to knit a swatch. The pattern should have a swatch recommendation or at least gauge reference. Knit the square/rectangle thing and wash it the way you plan the finished piece--it'll help let you know if need to go up or down needle size at all.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

mcknitknot posted:

Christmas money! I am seriously thinking about buying me some of those fancy interchangeable circular needles. Are they worth the money? And which ones are good? Right now I'm looking at the Knitter's Pride Dreamz Deluxe Interchangeabl​e Long Tip Knitting Needle Set. They are comfortably in my price range. I would be willing to spend a bit more though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H7QXMO/ref=wl_it_dp_v_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3FY5D2QTO49PO&coliid=I1T3D58SUK20VK

The best set are the Chiao Goo interchangeables with the metal tips. If you like wooden needles better than steel, there is also a bamboo set, but I like my needles like I like my slip n slides--with the lowest possible coefficient of friction. :c00lbert:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

mcknitknot posted:

Have you tried the individual Dreamz?

Everyone is going to have totally different preferences, but it's definitely worth checking out reviews first. There's a Ravelry group "Interchangeable Needles" that's just for that. It seems to be pretty impartial, which is great since that tends to be an issue with Ravelry groups.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Have you tried the individual Dreamz?

I second this. I bought just one cord and one tip in a size I know I use a lot and ended up falling in love with them.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

I have Denise because I was a poor-rear end student when I bought them.

They're kinda poo poo, but good enough for using as straights/occasional circulars.

If you're an adult with Christmas money, though, don't bother. Get something with thin cables and smooth joins.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A few months ago I found a free pattern for those hexagon things here:

http://charmhour.blogspot.ca/2013/04/knit-hexagons.html

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

MarsDragon posted:

I have Denise because I was a poor-rear end student when I bought them.

They're kinda poo poo, but good enough for using as straights/occasional circulars.

If you're an adult with Christmas money, though, don't bother. Get something with thin cables and smooth joins.

Agreed. Denise are good for if you're broke, but considering the money I spent through college replacing them (as the cables broke) it's just not worth it.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Mad Hamish posted:

A few months ago I found a free pattern for those hexagon things here:

http://charmhour.blogspot.ca/2013/04/knit-hexagons.html

Sodium Chloride posted:

And if you read this then you owe me $5.50.

Oh, very awesome. Thank you guys!! I'll probably make a few and then like everyone else, decide it's just a hassle and it'll go in my pile of granny squares (another slow going project). But I travel a lot and it's nice to have small projects that I don't need a huge pattern for and can easily pick up and put down.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I just came down with norovirus and spent a day and a half puking into a basin near my bed. Now I'm better and I've been cleaning up. Guess where I found my missing ball of yarn that I hand-dyed specifically for Christmas presents? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Pile of Kittens posted:

I just came down with norovirus and spent a day and a half puking into a basin near my bed. Now I'm better and I've been cleaning up. Guess where I found my missing ball of yarn that I hand-dyed specifically for Christmas presents? :suicide:

As someone who pulled a not-completed sweater out of a Honey Bucket, I say it can be recovered. It will suck, but it can be done.

(I'm glad you feel better. Now get the Woolite out and clean that poo poo off.)