Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DaveKap posted:

Friend and I dug real deep tonight, only to find something real creepy...

I'd examine more things if it wasn't such a gigantic pain in the rear end to examine stuff. In a game about pointing and clicking, having to move the cursor all the way to the magnifying glass and then to what you want to look at is too cumbersome. Maybe if they made, like, F2 toggle Examine Mode.

v Oh, that makes it a lot easier. Thanks! Now watch me never use Examine, right :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

I'd examine more things if it wasn't such a gigantic pain in the rear end to examine stuff. In a game about pointing and clicking, having to move the cursor all the way to the magnifying glass and then to what you want to look at is too cumbersome. Maybe if they made, like, F2 toggle Examine Mode.

Press N.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!
Can't stop trying to toss warhammer 40k crap into my game.

I decided to put in a thunderhawk but I have to play with the blocks file... doesn't quit fit right into the art.

Here's the art, I just pulled it offline as a kind of proof of concept and once I get it functioning how I want I'm going to redo the art into the style of the game.

And my finished dark angel space marine armor

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Do terrifying wings do anything other than look cool?

Also I really like all the lore stuff in the descriptions, like I found a USMC prison and my glitch noticed the blood message on the wall was from a Hylotl and questioned why would the prison have a poster of Big Ape.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Combat Shotgun posted:

You clearly need to turn the light into a servitor skull.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011
You Don't need that sweet custom ship mod to make impressive ships.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I wish scanning stuff into the 3D printer was free, it'd make inventory management so much easier. Just digitize one of each plundered furniture and toss the rest, and print more if you ever decide you need it (you won't). Right now I just run out of pixels scanning things when I try to do this :(

az
Dec 2, 2005

Coach Sport posted:

I wish scanning stuff into the 3D printer was free, it'd make inventory management so much easier. Just digitize one of each plundered furniture and toss the rest, and print more if you ever decide you need it (you won't). Right now I just run out of pixels scanning things when I try to do this :(

How do you use the printer in the first palce?

expletive
Jun 5, 2002

I'm only up to page 20 or so of the thread so far, but I skipped ahead to post this delta sector system, which is pretty drat cool thus far.

I haven't explored it completely yet, but planet III is a tentacle planet with an Apex facility to the left that had a targeted blink tech in it for me. A little further left is a miniboss (not sure if those are always there or not). Lots of surface titanium and coal, and lots of surface chests, one of which had this in it for me:

<edit> and now in addition to the rocket launcher i have a grenade launcher that shoots prox mines from the same planet. Not sure if these are new or just delta sector stuff i haven't seen yet.

expletive fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 15, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Coach Sport posted:

This isn't an issue later on, at least. Since you stop using ores like Gold and Silver they're basically free money.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Does anyone host a Starbound server on a VPS, and if so, what sort of VPS specifications do you think it requires? SA Mart has an ad for betaForce for 1GB of RAM, 4 cores, $20/mo, which is about the extent of my budget (and I could use it for other things, too.) Not sure how much RAM the Linux server executable will devour though. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So, urm, is anyone else's game completely broken as of now? This is on a clean install, unmodded game with verified files. I create a character, go into the game, grab my stuff from the locker and try and beam down to the planet. I beam... back to the ship. I can't leave my ship whatsoever.

I haven't played for a couple of patches and was on another computer, but other than that there's nothing that I've done that could be causing this as far as I can tell.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Rather Dashing posted:

So, urm, is anyone else's game completely broken as of now? This is on a clean install, unmodded game with verified files. I create a character, go into the game, grab my stuff from the locker and try and beam down to the planet. I beam... back to the ship. I can't leave my ship whatsoever.

I haven't played for a couple of patches and was on another computer, but other than that there's nothing that I've done that could be causing this as far as I can tell.

Just keep trying, it'll work eventually.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Coach Sport posted:

The printer seems really pointless right now.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Another pair of Dead Space outfits is ready! The former two are the originals with equal stats to the copper armor set, and the latter two are new and have the copper set's stats but with the heat insulation of the snow infantry set. Thus, they are more expensive to craft. Exciting stuff!

But I have no idea what to make next. I need more suit ideas!

Coffstah
Dec 23, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

It's really nice for getting copies of friend's decorations if you want them, so you don't have to be lucky stumbling upon certain structures. I also used it to clone a bunch of ape lockers, because they are pretty rare and seem like the best storage option in the game since they are the most compact and stack on top of each other, unlike chests.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

CJacobs posted:

But I have no idea what to make next. I need more suit ideas!

How about the player classes from Risk of Rain?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SpruceZeus posted:

This is a Good Idea.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Are these items that summon the tier bosses a one time thing? If I fail do I have to recraft the items?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is it possible to like rotate items when I'm tryinf tobplace them? If so how? I've a hankering to make a trapdoor out of gates.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Elendil004 posted:

Tiy just posted this.
Way late, but just chiming in to say this is pretty much the perfect solution and exactly what almost everyone wanted. Not to mention it was implemented in a really simple and straightforward way.
In less than two weeks Chucklefish has already really impressed me with how responsive they are to their players with every patch.

Now all we need is custom beam-down points.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

muscles like this? posted:

I love the printer, without it my sprawling underground ice base would have not enough venitlation, spotlights, railings, and all the other stuff where you just don't find enough off in one place to fully equip your evil overlord lair.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

PirateNipple posted:

Are these items that summon the tier bosses a one time thing? If I fail do I have to recraft the items?

I'm pretty sure you have to recraft them, which is why I'm nervous about summoning the bone dragon!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you all for the ideas you've posted on the past few pages! I've got a couple more Dead Space RIGs to make and then I'll move onto other things, I swear.

SpruceZeus posted:

:allears:

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Too bad you can't 3D print poop, because poop is incredibly rare for me and I wish I had more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PirateNipple posted:

It used to be but it seems like now bosses stick around after you summon them. I killed the bone dragon mostly through attrition.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

PirateNipple posted:

Yes, you have to re-craft the items, so MAKE SURE YOU'RE READY.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So uh, I beat the thing that comes after the distress beacon, crafted a metalworks station with its drop. It seems all I can do right now is craft a starmap upgrade to go to the beta sector, but I have no more tutorial missions, and it seems the tech tier stops with scavenger gear. Have I reached the point up to where the game is developed right now? I read someone talking about guns, but all I can craft is iron bows.

Also, jesus loving christ, it takes me FOREVER to get enough iron for ANYTHING. How the hell do you guys get enough ore? Even though I dug down to an obsidian layer, there was very little.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You've got a loooong way to go yet. There are no more quests because you're done with the tutorial! Head to the Beta sector, craft yourself a robot, and then fight the second boss when you're ready for it. (You have to make the Star map upgrade to unlock the next crafting tier stuff, by the way)

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It would be a lot better if you could scan blocks I think, I wouldn't see the harm in being able to scan cosmetics and instruments, though I guess the idea is that when you find some cool hat you get to be a special snowflake without your friends asking for copies. And the portable scanner block types are nice, but waaay too expensive to really be useful at all, 50px for one brick is a lot, when you consider that diamond ore gives you 100px per ore in the refinery (and 200px for a whole diamond, despite the fact that it takes 4 ore to make one whole diamond). I really don't see the point of blocks costing anywhere near that much, given that the only alternative it to scavenge them from existing buildings, which is a pain and feels really wacky on top of it. I guess idealy you would get a regular blueprint for a block one you have mined/collected/seen it that would use appropriate materials and give you a pile of the blocks instead of just one. It's enough of a hassle that for the time being I would highly recommend just cheating in copies of special blocks if you really want to build with them.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Combat Shotgun posted:

Can't stop trying to toss warhammer 40k crap into my game.

I decided to put in a thunderhawk but I have to play with the blocks file... doesn't quit fit right into the art.

Here's the art, I just pulled it offline as a kind of proof of concept and once I get it functioning how I want I'm going to redo the art into the style of the game.

Have you put the 40k mods anywhere?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/snakes-attire.259/

Cant. Stop. Making. Mods! :negative:

Oh hey so I made Snake's bandanna too and it removes your hair, hahaha! uh, I fixed it.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 15, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Also look for Glitch/Floran villages. You can just buy raw alien meat and wheat for 5 pixels a pop and make hamburgers (2 bread + 1 uncooked meat, so four wheat and a meat) at a nearby food table in the inne. Or get sugar and uncooked bacon in equal amounts and make candied bacon. The bacon gives buffs, hamburgers really satiate hunger and regen health.
You're playing a human aren't you. Other races get different recipes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

AndroidHub posted:

It would be a lot better if you could scan blocks I think, I wouldn't see the harm in being able to scan cosmetics and instruments, though I guess the idea is that when you find some cool hat you get to be a special snowflake without your friends asking for copies. And the portable scanner block types are nice, but waaay too expensive to really be useful at all, 50px for one brick is a lot, when you consider that diamond ore gives you 100px per ore in the refinery (and 200px for a whole diamond, despite the fact that it takes 4 ore to make one whole diamond). I really don't see the point of blocks costing anywhere near that much, given that the only alternative it to scavenge them from existing buildings, which is a pain and feels really wacky on top of it. I guess idealy you would get a regular blueprint for a block one you have mined/collected/seen it that would use appropriate materials and give you a pile of the blocks instead of just one. It's enough of a hassle that for the time being I would highly recommend just cheating in copies of special blocks if you really want to build with them.

I really wish you could replicate block types you've already found because it's such a chore finding enough specific colonies with the brick type you like to build a whole large structure with. I can't imagine the game would go on without some feature to address this being implemented, not at the pace the updates have been coming in.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Reiley posted:

I really wish you could replicate block types you've already found because it's such a chore finding enough specific colonies with the brick type you like to build a whole large structure with.

I agree, but I actually enjoy gathering resources, even on a large scale. If it wasn't so hard to find biomes/dungeons that had your block, it wouldn't be such a big deal. So, to that end, maybe they could let you scan a system for any block type you've found already? It could even be a whole ship sub-system upgrade path, allowing to scan for more specific kinds of objects like furniture and poo poo.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

Have you put the 40k mods anywhere?

Not yet.

I haven't tried to balance them yet so right now the armor gives you infinite everything and blocks all incoming attacks for some reason (not sure what caused that) and the bolter is just silly (if you have the infinite energy with the armor to go with it).

If you want to play with it you can snag it here. Just edit the player.config and you can just craft stuff out of bars/pixels without a crafting station.

http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/68754470/file.html

edit: Is the official mod site up yet or is it just nexus?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I agree, but I actually enjoy gathering resources, even on a large scale. If it wasn't so hard to find biomes/dungeons that had your block, it wouldn't be such a big deal. So, to that end, maybe they could let you scan a system for any block type you've found already? It could even be a whole ship sub-system upgrade path, allowing to scan for more specific kinds of objects like furniture and poo poo.

It's fine for smaller projects but anything large-scale requires more extreme measures.

Theft is unlawful but sometimes you have to undermine the system to get what you want.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Combat Shotgun posted:

Not yet.

I haven't tried to balance them yet so right now the armor gives you infinite everything and blocks all incoming attacks for some reason (not sure what caused that) and the bolter is just silly (if you have the infinite energy with the armor to go with it).

If you want to play with it you can snag it here. Just edit the player.config and you can just craft stuff out of bars/pixels without a crafting station.

http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/68754470/file.html

edit: Is the official mod site up yet or is it just nexus?

Yes, the official mod site is integrated through the forums.

Also, you can include your own player.config with the recipes in your mod folder. Also, make sure you're using a 40kmods.modconfig file, described here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes, the official mod site is integrated through the forums.

Also, you can include your own player.config with the recipes in your mod folder. Also, make sure you're using a 40kmods.modconfig file, described here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/

Holy crap I didn't know they had a mods folder now, thanks for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Combat Shotgun posted:

Holy crap I didn't know they had a mods folder now, thanks for this.

Yep, it's new as of this patch. :)

• Locked thread