Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Oh man, you know what'd rule? An in-game dungeon creator mode. Invite a bunch of friends to some minecraft-style flatland and build elaborate structures with generic dirt and RNG chests, then export them and compile them into huge collections people can drop into a /dungeons folder. Dungeon variety is a little stale currently (beta), and player-made dungeons would add a lot of longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I wish you could find higher threat levels in the alpha sector, just less likely. I don't like being 'locked' into level X planets in a certain sector.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

I wish you could find higher threat levels in the alpha sector, just less likely. I don't like being 'locked' into level X planets in a certain sector.

this is already a thing it just doesn't have a place in the ui that shows you, they come in three flavors low, medium, and high threat. think of it like this:
low = level 1 planet
medium = level 1.5 planet
high = 1.9 planet

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I keep getting a bug where my UI completely vanishes and I cannot figre out how to get it to come back up unless I close the client completely. Anyone else ever get this? :sigh:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I keep getting a bug where my UI completely vanishes and I cannot figre out how to get it to come back up unless I close the client completely. Anyone else ever get this? :sigh:

Hit F1.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I like how once you start getting above certain threat levels the lower level production ores will never appear again. Iron you really don't see above 1 or 2, and all those titanium/durasteel/violetium/rubium things farther up in the threat level chart only show up for ~2 threat levels. Meanwhile once you hit gamma you're absolutely inundated in 200 gold/platinum/silver/diamond per planet just on the surface of any given planet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Monowhatever posted:

this is already a thing it just doesn't have a place in the ui that shows you, they come in three flavors low, medium, and high threat. think of it like this:
low = level 1 planet
medium = level 1.5 planet
high = 1.9 planet

Is this visible in the game files somewhere? Where do people get this information? I remember Tiy saying that monsters would be different difficulties but he didn't say that worlds would be. Also, assuming there are different difficulty worlds, is there any difference in loot and ore distribution? More common rare metals perhaps and better random weapons? If not, then what's the point?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Another pair of Dead Space outfits is ready! The former two are the originals with equal stats to the copper armor set, and the latter two are new and have the copper set's stats but with the heat insulation of the snow infantry set. Thus, they are more expensive to craft. Exciting stuff!

But I have no idea what to make next. I need more suit ideas!

Well, I have a suggestion. Mod in the Plasma Cutter. You can just modify the MM to shoot a cutting beam or something.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Okay, I'm an idiot and managed to leave all of my banana seeds behind on random hops, none of which are my homeworld. Any recommendations/coordinates for getting more in Alpha/Beta sectors? Spacecheeks is having some serious banana bread withdrawals over here.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
YEE HAW

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

I... just.. what..

OH MY GOD I NEED THIS.

Edit: Counting the time until someone changes the model to The Dukes of Hazzard.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
This is a cool game in a lot of ways but right now the randomization is really dragging it down. For all the superficial variety that each world has, it actually feels like there is almost none at all. The biggest difference between worlds is graphical because the behavior and abilities of critters always amount to nearly the exact same experience.

So far the designed/linear progression of Terraria feels like it has more actual variety. Of course this is a beta vs. a finished game, so they have a long time to improve that, but it is definitely the one thing that glaringly needs to be improved.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

I... just.. what..

OH MY GOD I NEED THIS.

Edit: Counting the time until someone changes the model to The Dukes of Hazzard.

I tried to find a cowboy hat to use but couldn't. :smith:

Recipe:

code:
{
  "input" : [
    { "item" : "money", "count" : 1 }
  ],
  "output" : {
    "item" : "humancar-chip",
    "count" : 1
  },
  "groups" : [ "plain", "objects", "all", "tools" ]
}

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 15, 2013

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

So I just bought this and my first world is a lovely magnarock&dirt planet. Does anyone know the coordinates of a cool place to explore and mine in alpha sector?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

All those nearby planets to explore. :allears:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TangentEnigma posted:

This is a cool game in a lot of ways but right now the randomization is really dragging it down. For all the superficial variety that each world has, it actually feels like there is almost none at all. The biggest difference between worlds is graphical because the behavior and abilities of critters always amount to nearly the exact same experience.

So far the designed/linear progression of Terraria feels like it has more actual variety. Of course this is a beta vs. a finished game, so they have a long time to improve that, but it is definitely the one thing that glaringly needs to be improved.

I thought I was so clever when I shined a flashlight on a monster once and it stopped moving. I originally thought they were aggressive but it was just a coincidence.

I can't find the post to quote it, but what the monsters really need is a large and varied list of properties / survival instincts they can take on like blinding nocturnal monsters with light, only being aggressive when it's dark, or passive monsters that seek warmth and shelter so that you can build them a little village. Or monsters that are weak to certain elements / weapon types and strong against others.

It would really take the preparedness for exploring and the security of having a home planet and showing people around it to the next level.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I tried to find a cowboy hat to use but couldn't. :smith:

Recipe:

code:
{
  "input" : [
    { "item" : "money", "count" : 1 }
  ],
  "output" : {
    "item" : "humancar-chip",
    "count" : 1
  },
  "groups" : [ "mod", "all", "other" ]
}

So this is already in the game? Could I put this in mods/<modname>/<filename>?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Genocyber posted:

So this is already in the game? Could I put this in mods/<modname>/<filename>?

Yeah, but I should have mentioned that recipe is designed to work with the Tabula Rasa mod. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-tabula-rasa.114/ If you want to craft it on a normal crafting station you'll have to make some slight changes. I'll update my original post so you can just craft it without a station.

Yes.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Combat Shotgun posted:

Can't stop trying to toss warhammer 40k crap into my game.

I decided to put in a thunderhawk but I have to play with the blocks file... doesn't quit fit right into the art.

Here's the art, I just pulled it offline as a kind of proof of concept and once I get it functioning how I want I'm going to redo the art into the style of the game.

And my finished dark angel space marine armor

You are doing the Emperor's work and you should never stop.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Combat Shotgun posted:

Can't stop trying to toss warhammer 40k crap into my game.

I decided to put in a thunderhawk but I have to play with the blocks file... doesn't quit fit right into the art.

Here's the art, I just pulled it offline as a kind of proof of concept and once I get it functioning how I want I'm going to redo the art into the style of the game.

And my finished dark angel space marine armor

This makes me want to do a Warhammer 40K total conversion. Not that I have the time, but the idea of choosing to play as a Tyranid and dropping onto the planet surface (complete with a ton of guard NPC's customized into various forms) would be fun as hell. Or just leading a WAAAAAGH. Which wouldn't be that much different from playing a Florian, really.

Probably should wait until the game is more complete though. They talked about building up AI settlements and stuff. Might be more potential there once they release a version that has more interactivity on that front.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Mo_Steel posted:

All those nearby planets to explore. :allears:

When I first looked at this the small planet closest to you I saw as an umbrella. Then I realized what an odd style it was and took another look. :negative:

CJacobs posted:

Another pair of Dead Space outfits is ready! The former two are the originals with equal stats to the copper armor set, and the latter two are new and have the copper set's stats but with the heat insulation of the snow infantry set. Thus, they are more expensive to craft. Exciting stuff!

But I have no idea what to make next. I need more suit ideas!

These are awesome and Dead Space is one of my favorite franchises but the heads look a little off to me. They seem too big for the bodies but it might just be the suits need to be bigger? It's hard to put my finger on it. Either way they're really cool.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
Me and another goon just spent 40 minutes digging straight down, in an attempt to find a planet core or something. We never saw anything. I guess there's no bedrock!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Danger Doug posted:

Me and another goon just spent 40 minutes digging straight down, in an attempt to find a planet core or something. We never saw anything. I guess there's no bedrock!

You must not have dug deep enough.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Danger Doug posted:

There are definitely planet cores (it just becomes lava at one point, then if you wall off the lava sections and continue you'll eventually reach a point where the screen stops scrolling and there's an insta-kill zone). To my knowledge the "depth" of a planet is actually relative to its size on the map. So maybe you guys just picked a really really big planet.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Danger Doug posted:

At the bottom you'll find lots of lava, what I assume to be the core.
Didn't have the courage to touch it and no, there is no obsidian when water touches the lava.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yet another mod :toot:

Tweaks randomly generated melee weapons:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yyaazyjhw46a2ub/meleetweakmodv2.zip

Above mods + gun mods + various QOL mods:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h49xb88t5282e25/witlessmodpack_.zip

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You must not have dug deep enough.

Nor greedily enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How Rude posted:

Didn't have the courage to touch it and no, there is no obsidian when water touches the lava.

There is an bsidian block in the game, however, it's just part of the ground once you get deep enough. Sometimes there is "magmarock" in place of it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Umberger posted:

There are definitely planet cores (it just becomes lava at one point, then if you wall off the lava sections and continue you'll eventually reach a point where the screen stops scrolling and there's an insta-kill zone). To my knowledge the "depth" of a planet is actually relative to its size on the map. So maybe you guys just picked a really really big planet.

If you consider that the rectangular map represents a spherical body then passing through the center of the planet would just bring you up at the relevant opposite coordinates under the lava and gravity would pull you back down again. Jumping off the "bottom of the map" is essentially hitting the planet's center of gravity and I guess being crushed into dust under the weight of all the rest of the planet you didn't dig through bearing down on top of you. Though if you REALLY think about it the planets being spherical but rectangular means the inside of the planet has an equal radius to the exterior and that doesn't make a lick of sense unless you're actually shrinking the further you dig into the ground.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 15, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reiley posted:

I guess being crushed into dust under the weight of all the rest of the planet you didn't dig through bearing down on top of you.

Argh, the roof on my house is so heavy I can feel it bearing down on me.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Fallom posted:

Are you this stupid when you roll out of bed or does it take you time to prepare? Gravity functions as such at the center of a planet and does not function as such at the microscopic surface of a planet example you are referencing.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fallom posted:

You should see how deep in the ocean you can swim. Water's water, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reiley posted:

You should see how deep in the ocean you can swim. Water's water, right?

Water presses down on anything underwater. Solid rock does not press down on anything in a cavity under solid rock.

If you're at the center of a planet, you don't feel the weight of everything pressing down on you because at the center of a planet gravity is pulling equally away from you on all sides so you're effectively weightless. The game's not representing planets as spheres but there's a fun fact for you! In this game, the gravity of everything would be attracting you from all directions but below you so you wouldn't be crushed either.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 15, 2013

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Got a new spacepet to hang around on my mobile cognition lab.

I call him Lobotomy Jr. He seems to have come pre-de-brained.

Hopefully he will be a valuable tool in understanding the nature of sentience, and if not, at least he'll blow up nicely.

...Now if only I could get one of those blood-puking cultist birds.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 15, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fallom posted:

Water presses down on anything underwater. Solid rock does not press down on anything in a cavity under solid rock.

If you're at the center of a planet, you don't feel the weight of everything pressing down on you because at the center of a planet gravity is pulling equally away from you on all sides so you're effectively weightless.

It's true that you'd effectively be weightless (not really because the mass distribution isn't perfect but whatever) but you would absolutely be crushed because there is no way you could maintain an open area under all that rock / molten iron.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zolthorg posted:

Are you this stupid when you roll out of bed or does it take you time to prepare? Gravity functions as such at the center of a planet and does not function as such at the microscopic surface of a planet example you are referencing.

What? Gravity is drastically reduced in the earth's core. Gravity gradually but only slightly increases until you get to the cores where it sharply declines. Water pressure in ocean trenches is due to the stacked weight of all the water above pressing down. If there is a cavity deep in the earth, there is no such pressure. Granted, the likelyhood of a cavity being that deep is nil because there is no way that one could form with the weight of the ground above it. But in this crazy fantasy world where there is empty space in a planetary core, you would actually have a feeling of weightlessness, and not be crushed.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

How Rude posted:

I don't know if it makes obsidian, but it does create a new solid block now when water touches lava. It previously didn't do this, but I assume its a fairly recent change.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Miijhal posted:

Got a new spacepet to hang around on my mobile cognition lab.

I call him Lobotomy Jr. He seems to have come pre-de-brained.

Hopefully he will be a valuable tool in understanding the nature of sentience, and if not, at least he'll blow up nicely.

...Now if only I could get one of those blood-puking cultist birds.
Is there a way to put pets away again? I lost one when it got hung up on terrain, not that it had done anything.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Now the Duke boys, having left the comfort of Hazzard Country, rigged the General Lee to operate on EVERY planet in the galaxy. Unbeknownst to them, Boss Hogg was on their tail.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Zereth posted:

Is there a way to put pets away again? I lost one when it got hung up on terrain, not that it had done anything.

Not as far as I know, unfortunately. Unless throwing another ball it it works.

• Locked thread