Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
The villains seem to have more 3 stars than the regular heroic. That said if you do go for the 10 pack expect to get mostly Dakens and Bullseyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Tezzeract posted:

The random draw pool is WAYY better. Think of it like a starter pack for lightning rounds.

aren't they both random?

Dravs posted:

The villains seem to have more 3 stars than the regular heroic. That said if you do go for the 10 pack expect to get mostly Dakens and Bullseyes.

:(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ they're both random, but the Doom one is restricted to considerably less characters, improving your chances of not getting another loving green Thor.

Jibo posted:

I'd probably rather fight the Ragnarok team since he's low enough level to not worry about and the computer doesn't know how to use him.
If anything Ragnarok is so ridiculously simple that he's the one character the AI does know how to play - get red: spam green; get green: punch hole in board; repeat. Grey Widow it will use the purple and spray green nonsensically around the board instead of forming criticals, and it'll just randomly select red/green targets to the degree that I've had it position the sniper reticle so that my Recharge token was in the four-tile gap but it killed two of its own.

I'd easily rather fight a 115 Widow because the AI is braindead, she's still rather fragile, her skills are more expensive and she doesn't cause large chains of multicolour AP that funnel straight to other members while keeping the cascades going.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In the Moonstone/Ragnarok fight I had a match where she kept moving Hawkeye's countdown tiles into the middle of the board for Rag to break, but I suspect that was random instead of good AI.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Karnegal posted:

aren't they both random?

Well, the pool is more limited, so expect to get more cover upgrades rather than a random hodge-podge of 1 covers. That said, if you don't like the Dark Avengers, it's less worth it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Occasionally you will get events that have guaranteed heroes, like the Venom event that had a guaranteed Spidey draw, but that was 1000HP a pop.

Went to bed with 6 hours of contest remaining at #1, woke up with a top 50 prize. :v:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 15, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Lots of people on the D3 forums have flames shooting out of their asses over the event end, and I can't blame them. Ending a ten-day PvE event with "whoever plays in the last half-hour wins" is more than a little goofy.

Naturally, there are those who are like "Well, _I_ got three covers, you just don't understand the game well enough. :smug:"

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

Lots of people on the D3 forums have flames shooting out of their asses over the event end, and I can't blame them. Ending a ten-day PvE event with "whoever plays in the last half-hour wins" is more than a little goofy.

Naturally, there are those who are like "Well, _I_ got three covers, you just don't understand the game well enough. :smug:"

I love some of the arguments on that forum.

"Ragnarok is broken".

"Not at all you can totally beat him if your clever. On a side note I use him on literally every team" :smug:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

delfin posted:

I think the lesson to be learned is to make the top prize covers all Invisible Woman.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Ghostlight posted:

If anything Ragnarok is so ridiculously simple that he's the one character the AI does know how to play - get red: spam green; get green: punch hole in board; repeat. Grey Widow it will use the purple and spray green nonsensically around the board instead of forming criticals, and it'll just randomly select red/green targets to the degree that I've had it position the sniper reticle so that my Recharge token was in the four-tile gap but it killed two of its own.

I'd easily rather fight a 115 Widow because the AI is braindead, she's still rather fragile, her skills are more expensive and she doesn't cause large chains of multicolour AP that funnel straight to other members while keeping the cascades going.

You'd think a 10 covers, level 115 Grey Widow would look downright formidable compared to a relatively low-level Rags but his abilities are so cheap and AI-friendly... I hate that I have to go with the Objectively Best Characters to stay competitive instead of choosing the ones I actually like. Those 1250HP I have saved up? Going straight to the 'Rok instead of a new, potentially fun dude like The Punisher.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

I think the lesson to be learned is to make the top prize covers all Yelena.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

delfin posted:

Ending a ten-day PvE event with "whoever plays in the last half-hour wins" is more than a little goofy.

We have multiple people right in this very thread posting about how playing right at the end didn't allow them to overtake anyone or in fact even keep their current place because the levels were worth so few points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How to shoot to the top: Save all your missions for the last hour so they're worth the most points.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

What's the general feeling on taking Black Widow Original purple past 3? Looks like there isn't a great benefit to pumping blue, but raising purple takes it from 3 matches to 4....

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Got some hero tokens from some Hunt mission or another.

All Bombastic Bag-Man. :negative:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

IAmUnaware posted:

We have multiple people right in this very thread posting about how playing right at the end didn't allow them to overtake anyone or in fact even keep their current place because the levels were worth so few points.

Just playing at the end wasn't enough. It was playing ONLY at the very end. I ran the Savage missions lots of times in the last two hours, but since I'd already used up my point-scoring runs they got me jack and poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

What's the general feeling on taking Black Widow Original purple past 3? Looks like there isn't a great benefit to pumping blue, but raising purple takes it from 3 matches to 4....

Taking Blue to 5 means that instead of having healing OR timer increases, you'll always heal, even if timers are on the board. I thought I was going for a 3/5/5 build, but looking closer, the damage added at max level and skill for black matches is only 112, so 5/5/3 may be better, since that still takes 4 purple matches, but steals 4 purple back.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

How to shoot to the top: Save all your missions for the last hour so they're worth the most points.

It's a weird event because some people got screwed over by not keeping up with their bracket and others got screwed over because they kept up with the bracket too intently and last minute rubberbanding sealed the deal for another player.

I personally was going to give up at around 16th place and played the repeatables mainly to get the HC rewards. When I saw that there was an opening for top 3, I just chugged all the boosts and ended up placing because I had enough spare points left in the tank.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone with a black Punisher cover? How's Molotov work? Does the countdown disappear or does it stay on the board til destroyed?
With Green, do you get to pick the 3x3 target?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I think staying close but not too close was key. I made sure to stay within two or three hundred points of the #1 player yesterday and it was an easy climb to the top today; I was scoring 30 points per mission and it only dropped to 15 at the very end, when I was already #1.

SynthOrange posted:

Anyone with a black Punisher cover? How's Molotov work? Does the countdown disappear or does it stay on the board til destroyed?
With Green, do you get to pick the 3x3 target?

Countdown tile appears randomly and never goes away by itself, it simply resets after x turns.

Green is random as well.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shwqa posted:

I love some of the arguments on that forum.

"Ragnarok is broken".

"Not at all you can totally beat him if your clever. On a side note I use him on literally every team" :smug:

A maxed out Ragnarok outside of Lightning Rounds is perfectly beatable. A maxed out Spider-Man on the other hand... :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

seravid posted:

Countdown tile appears randomly and never goes away by itself, it simply resets after x turns.

That is reaaaally nice, should pair well with strikes. The green power would have been more useful with targetting I guess, but you cant have everything. Its like Doom and Wolverine rolled into one package. Just without healing.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

I was in the top 10 of the punisher event and dropped 50 ranks overnight. I didn't mind I figured I'd catch up in the morning, but the point yield in the missions never reset. It's a heartbreaker but oh well. On the bright side I have 50+ tokens saved up. Is punisher available for purchase yet? I'd like to try my luck.

Have you guys pulled anything cool of standard tokens? I scored a classic mags off 500 ISO and 2 classic spiderman off standard tokens.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, they just have very low rates compared to 1* dudes which must be like 90% of the prize pool.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What's the best way to get a bunch of health packs without buying them for irl money or waiting?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Other than those two, they drop from some PvE missions. If you've earned all of them, then that's it. Healing can also come from Spider-Man Classic or Black Widow Original.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

beergod posted:

What's the best way to get a bunch of health packs without buying them for irl money or waiting?

The best thing to do is to build up the tankier characters so you use less health packs. Having your tank be able to protect your squishier support characters helps a bunch. You'll use 1 health pack vs 3 if you do it right.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
That's about all there is, unless they have them in easily cleared prologue missions. If you are hard up for healing, you could rerun the early venom missions with Spider-Man as a guest character and use his web bandages to heal up two of your dudes.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

drat, The Hunt really spoiled me; I'm out of ISO for the first time since... 10 days ago?

70 per match does not cut it, no sir.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
My 64 3/3 Doom is doing crazy damage in this tournament. 1300+ damage a turn once I match two more black matches. (After boosts) Having wolverine In the team helps.

E: vv no-one likes a show-off :ironicat:

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 16, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My 89 doom is doing around 3K damage per turn. :getin:

edit: Oh hey, event rewards now have a tick through them if you've won them. Nice!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 16, 2013

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Augh god I'm trading the lead in Doom with a 120 point lead over third place and I just know somehow I'm going to drop out of second by midnight.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey GulliverJones, if you're a goon, I'm aiming for #2 for triple Spiderman, so I'm just trying to put some distance between me and #3. It's him you gotta watch out for.

e: Dear greggray24: gently caress off, please and thank you.

e2: Is anyone else constantly overestimating how much damage their Thor is gonna deal? I've been spoiled by that enormous Hunt boost.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 16, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I actually skipped using Thor for this tournament and it's great. Using IM40 and Wolverine has turned out to be a good choice - Iron Man is tanky as and generates a tonne of AP for Wolverine to throw around. They usually manages to kill Thor before he gets off any specials and it's so far shutdown any high level Doom purely out of denying him clean red tiles to create demons on.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm chilling in 6th with a lvl 60 5/0 Doom. I really want to go pass out since I just got back from a Christmas party and am wiped out from food and liquor but I really have a shot at getting those three Spidey covers. The big question will then be: go 4/5/4 or wait and try to get another purple for 3/5/5.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

SynthOrange posted:

My 89 doom is doing around 3K damage per turn. :getin:

edit: Oh hey, event rewards now have a tick through them if you've won them. Nice!

Look at these guys not using Ragnarok letting the rounds go past the first turn. :smug:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Only mildly interested in this tourney. If I get 1 Spidey cover out of it, I'm happy. If I get 3 Captain Americas, I guess I'm fine too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Magneto Now is such a great partner for Doom. Get Purples, use Magneto's skill to make a 5-match with Blue and place whatever's left next to Black tiles, then active Doom's skill to make a 5-match with 'em. Then use Doom's Summon Demons for Attack Tiles. I've been hanging at #2 and #3 since I don't want to overdo it and get another Invisible Woman, but really #2 ~ #5 is fine with me since it's the Blue and Purple I really want.

Too bad there aren't that many great Black active skills that I could use as a third partner to the Doom / Magneto Now combo. Bullseye might be a decent option since he gets benefits from matching Purple tiles as well but mine's too low level to justify using him over Thor.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Eurgh, if this Doom tourney teaches you anything it's that no matter what your team looks like now, if you've got a 1-cover villain, you are getting attacked a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is the quietest event end I've seen. Dont know if it's the top prize or my level 89 Doom.