Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's what I figured. It seems like you either see those or the built ins on custom boards. Cool!

Yeah if I ever get more demanding pedals I will grab them. But three of my pedals are customized to pull almost no current. The woolly mammoth fuzz clone I have could use one 9v battery almost forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Yarbald posted:

I just ordered a POG 2, and took my pedalboard home from my practice space for the weekend to squeeze the POG on somewhere. It's occurring to me that I might need a bigger board; I've tried doing some rearranging, and I'm not sure how this is going to work. Right now I have a LYT 32 which has been great, but I feel I may be outgrowing it. Does anyone have any suggestions for larger boards? All I've found so far is the Pedaltrain Pro, which would only give me a couple more inches.

You may not ever need your Whammy again if you're like me.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

juche mane posted:

You may not ever need your Whammy again if you're like me.

I'm gonna keep the Whammy, I use the 4th/5th up and octave harmonies a lot to do bending type stuff. The POG is going to be more for 12 string/organ/weird sounds.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Yarbald posted:

I just ordered a POG 2, and took my pedalboard home from my practice space for the weekend to squeeze the POG on somewhere. It's occurring to me that I might need a bigger board; I've tried doing some rearranging, and I'm not sure how this is going to work. Right now I have a LYT 32 which has been great, but I feel I may be outgrowing it. Does anyone have any suggestions for larger boards? All I've found so far is the Pedaltrain Pro, which would only give me a couple more inches.

Two DL4s, the mark of a guitarist that really loves making weird noises :allears:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

You've got a TON of space left on that board.
Rearrange your pedals, take advantage of all that bare space and invest in a nice patch cable setup, I use the Lava Cables kits, the cables are nice enough but the plugs allow for me to arrange things the way I want them without wasting space between pedals.

That said, I love my PT Pro although it's almost too heavy to carry around at this point.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
I think you can also gain additional space by rotating your smaller pedals and having them above the bigger ones rather than putting it side by side. Like could you have enough space to put your OCD and phaser above your boss delay?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Tiny Faye posted:

I think you can also gain additional space by rotating your smaller pedals and having them above the bigger ones rather than putting it side by side. Like could you have enough space to put your OCD and phaser above your boss delay?

Yeah I'm trying to rotate the smaller ones to make room, I put the phaser on its side at the end below the Jam Man and moved the OCD up next to the DD20. I need to pick up some Lava Cables, there really is a lot of space that's being wasted just because of how big the plugs on my patch cables are.

Declan MacManus posted:

Two DL4s, the mark of a guitarist that really loves making weird noises :allears:

Yep, that's what happens when you listen to too much Minus the Bear!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI: iStomp pedals are currently :20bux::20bux: a pop.
Go to the musiciansfriend closeout page then pick iStomp(shows up as $150) and put it in your cart; a discount will be applied to it and the end total will be $40.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

duckfarts posted:

Go to the musiciansfriend closeout page then pick iStomp(shows up as $150) and put it in your cart; a discount will be applied to it and the end total will be $40.

There are some good deals on that page. This Tascam TC-1S solar tuner is $10 for most colors. Mine has been going strong for three years as my only tuner, never had it die or fail, I've never even had to actively recharge it. If you need a tuner that doesn't sit on the floor, get one of these.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Manky posted:

There are some good deals on that page. This Tascam TC-1S solar tuner is $10 for most colors. Mine has been going strong for three years as my only tuner, never had it die or fail, I've never even had to actively recharge it. If you need a tuner that doesn't sit on the floor, get one of these.
I guess the solar thing is kinda cool, but if you're already paying $10, might as well get a Snark clip tuner.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Yarbald posted:

The Rondo boards are actually pretty decent for the price.

Also that's the kinda lineup I can get lost in for days. :allears:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

duckfarts posted:

You should get an iStomp because all of the pedals are free* because they screwed the pooch so badly with updating for iOS.

*except for the coolest pedal, the Impossible Pedal, which you can't get anywhere else, but that's still only 60 bucks total for I think about 40 effects

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

duckfarts posted:

Those do look really cool, but do they require an ios device to use at all? It looks that way to me, but it sounds like you have some experience with the things?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The Leck posted:

Those do look really cool, but do they require an ios device to use at all? It looks that way to me, but it sounds like you have some experience with the things?

They require an iOS device to load it with the pedal you want or change it, but that's it, so you could just ask an iOS having friend to get the free app and free pedals and just connect it when you want to change pedals.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I feel like an idiot asking this, but can someone please tell me when I should stomp on my ditto to get a loop which actually matches up on-beat?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

I feel like an idiot asking this, but can someone please tell me when I should stomp on my ditto to get a loop which actually matches up on-beat?

On the one.

Looping is about practice and most loops tend to slowly drift out of rhythm when playing with external sound sources.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
Are the cheep joyo pedals worth getting? Found a site selling them for 30$ for a few days. They seem almost 2 cheap since some of the build your own stuff is almost double that. Im looking at the vintage overdrive and maybe a tremolo or a fuzz.

Edit: maybe just the overdrive

polar fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 28, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

polar posted:

Are the cheep joyo pedals worth getting? Found a site selling them for 30$ for a few days. They seem almost 2 cheap since some of the build your own stuff is almost double that. Im looking at the vintage overdrive and maybe a tremolo or a fuzz.

Yeah, grab em. Are there any specifically you want to know about? I have a US Dream, Sweet Baby, and Vintage OD (and the compressor)

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Yeah, grab em. Are there any specifically you want to know about? I have a US Dream, Sweet Baby, and Vintage OD (and the compressor)

their harnessing and guts are kinda cheap, if you wanna mess around at the house- get em if you plan on gigging them a lot - I wouldn't.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

polar posted:

Yes they own, sound wise anyway. Build wise they're a bit flimsy.

polar
Nov 3, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

After watching reviews I'm between 2 pedals, the vintage overdrive and the sweet baby. They both sound good to me. I have to pick out a first pedal. I wanna buy one for now and am on a tight budget. would you learn toword one over the other?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

polar posted:

After watching reviews I'm between 2 pedals, the vintage overdrive and the sweet baby. They both sound good to me. I have to pick out a first pedal. I wanna buy one for now and am on a tight budget. would you learn toword one over the other?

Vintage Overdrive is basically a tube screamer clone. Lots of compression, midrange heavy. The Sweet Baby is more subtle and transparent and you can get a pretty wide variety of tones. I'd use the Sweet Baby as my primary overdrive into the front end of a clean amp but I'd use the Vintage Overdrive to cascade into either the amp's distortion or another pedal. Both are good for crunch, it's just the character of the crunch you get.

Another thing is, at least from the dealer I ordered from, the foot switch for the Sweet Baby felt flimsier than the one for the Vintage Overdrive. I actually had to send the Sweet Baby back for another (which had a quieter but less sturdy feeling switch). The enclosures are both rock solid.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I have some cash leftover from christmas, and an extra space in my rack. Anyone recommend a weird or unique hardware effects processor?
I'm looking for something with character... Like some weird noisy thing from the 90s. Maybe great for vocals. Not necessarily for guitar, just for anything really.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 31, 2013

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Lexicon Vortex (assuming you can find someone willing to let go of theirs, and it's rotary encoders haven't gone haywire).

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
What would folks recommend for a small (4ish pedals) pedalboard? I would also consider just getting a multifx board, but I haven't used one of those in years.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The board itself, or the effects to go on it? :v:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Balls Macintosh posted:

What would folks recommend for a small (4ish pedals) pedalboard? I would also consider just getting a multifx board, but I haven't used one of those in years.

Pedaltrain mini or nano depending on how big your pedals are.

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
The board itself (and power supply). I have the pedals somewhat picked out - boss tuner, carbon copy, compressor, and boost.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Balls Macintosh posted:

The board itself (and power supply). I have the pedals somewhat picked out - boss tuner, carbon copy, compressor, and boost.

can I suggest a Caroline Icarus boost? it's made in my town and seriously the best boost I have ever heard. Almost every serious musician here uses one.

Balls Macintosh
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks, never heard of that company and that thing sounds rad.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Does anyone have experience with the newer Dunlop Cry Baby wah? My guitarist picked one up but it is having sine serious impedance mismatch or something because it boosts the heck out of his volume. He has also been putting it at the end of his effects loop chain, which is funny. I think it runs something like Boost-Flanger-Delay-Wah right now. Not how I would do it, but he's just starting yo get into the wild world of board building.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
anyone have any suggestions for a volume pedal that doesn't suck tone?

thinking about just putting one in a loop but kinda destroys the convenience, might as well use the knobs on my guitar

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

anyone have any suggestions for a volume pedal that doesn't suck tone?

thinking about just putting one in a loop but kinda destroys the convenience, might as well use the knobs on my guitar

Get one with a buffered input. Or you can put a buffer right before your volume pedal.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

If you can mod at all, putting a buffered input and output on your volume pedal is absolutely magical. 500k+ input, as low as possible output impedance. Otherwise, compact buffers can be used, but it becomes a bit more of a hassle to find space for 'em and route the cables and power and such compared to just sticking a couple simple buffer circuits in there. There's pretty much always room.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Get one with a buffered input. Or you can put a buffer right before your volume pedal.

any particular model you'd suggest? I have modded before but I've noticed volume pedals go bad pretty quickly so would like to keep the warranty on one.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Smash it Smash hit posted:

any particular model you'd suggest? I have modded before but I've noticed volume pedals go bad pretty quickly so would like to keep the warranty on one.

Most Boss pedals have a built-in buffer. If you have a TU-2 you can try putting that first in your chain (Graphic EQ is another good choice). You can also buy dedicated buffer pedals for around $75, or you can go to your local Radio Shack and build one:

It's a simple circuit, so I wouldn't overpay for anything (and a lot of pedals have them built in, which is the cheapest way to go here).

Buffer usually goes first in the signal chain, but if that doesn't work you can have it go direct into your volume pedal, and if that doesn't work then you can put one at the beginning and the end of your chain, and if all those options don't work then you should probably look for a better pedal.

Unless you meant a buffered volume pedal, in which case the VM-Pro from Mission Engineering is a good (expensive, ~180) option, as is the Visual Sound Visual Volume (less expensive but still not exactly cheap, will run you about 140 on eBay). There's also Analog Man stuff which I haven't tried but which I am almost positive is way more expensive.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
yeah I meant a buffered volume pedal. So how would placing a buffered signal before the tone sucking volume pedal help?

I can understand it after it a bit more, that seems to make more sense to me. I have a few buffered pedals sitting around but I feel like most of those suck tone too, seems to be just a no win.

besides the buffered volume pedal or mod

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Basically the buffer increases the impedance of your guitar signal and helps it to overcome the tone suck. You can also use a treble booster.

It's usually supposed to go before everything in the chain ~to preserve your tonez~ but you can experiment with where you place it. For example, you shouldn't put it before a fuzz pedal (because the low impedance is what gives the fuzz its sound).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Basically the buffer increases the impedance of your guitar signal and helps it to overcome the tone suck. You can also use a treble booster.

It's usually supposed to go before everything in the chain ~to preserve your tonez~ but you can experiment with where you place it. For example, you shouldn't put it before a fuzz pedal (because the low impedance is what gives the fuzz its sound).

Not... strictly true, different fuzz designs can have different requirements for best sound with your guitar. While it is true that many faithful reproductions of older fuzzes, especially germanium transistor fuzzes often need to be "wired in" to your guitar directly, it's 100% possible and there are plenty of great units in production from various manufacturers which have no such requirement.

Freak-out fuzzes almost always need to be wired in to your guitar's electronics because they derive their beep-boop oscillating sounds from the values of the tone and volume pots and the pickups, as a system. But while in practice a lot of fuzzes sort of by default will be better off in front of everything, it's usually because of fidelity to a vintage design (or a genuinely vintage fuzz).

Pedals with 500Kohm impedance are not uncommon these days and that's higher than some buffers previously had (the more recent standard being 1Mohm input). Output impedance matters for placement in the chain - too high and you create a filter between that pedal and the next one depending on its input impedance - but that's not especially salient to fuzz-first thinking.

Edit: Also, buffers don't increase the impedance, they have a super high impedance, which helps to prevent a lowpass effect from your cable's capacitance with passive pickups. Lower input impedance and longer cable cuts highs, and ideally you want your buffer literally as close to the pickups as possible, but a well-made, very high impedance buffer with plenty of voltage headroom for clean no-added-gain reproduction of your signal can make a 25 foot cable sound like a 1 foot cable if a buffer at the guitar itself is not an option; like when you're playing vintage fuzzes not designed with more than one pedal in mind :)

Good read on what a buffer does, with some light math, here: http://screaminfx.com/tech/why-and-when-to-use-a-guitar-buffer-pedal.htm

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

I have a clean boost, would that be good nuff for running in front of the volume pedal?

thanks for all the help!